CH11: No More Taxes
43 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I marked the calendar for August 3rd, 2880

 

Atom PL 1020

Jason PL 532

 

Most of my increase came from rest instead of training under 5Gs. I had to stop Jason several times from going into the training room and go home to rest. He was frustrated, but at least he wouldn’t have to talk to the tribute collector.

 

A silent alarm went off while I shoveled bacon in my mouth. The bastard tax collector wasn’t bad; he just wanted to impoverish us. Tax was theft, and the man was an effective thief. No matter the fence, the man had a bloodhound’s nose for assets.

 

I debated killing the man.

 

There were loads of consequences for killing a VHA official.

 

After I stuffed my breakfast, I shouldered my T98 rifle and prepared for an annoying encounter.

 

Roosters crowed while I tried to get a handle on my power. Nearly 10x in less than 3 days was nothing to sneeze at. Ember helped me keep my control at relatively the same level. Feeling her pack power away, reconfigure it, and subtly use it was world-shattering. It was like seeing a reaction through a microscope instead of reading it from a pdf.

 

There was something about experiencing something in real time that changed my perspective. Say what you want about vampires, but they were to control what dragons were to power. This revelation wasn’t in Father’s books. Then again, experiencing the power of a dragon didn’t diminish control like our gravity training had.

 

Sounds of motorized movements stirred me rudely from my contemplations as 6 mechanized inquisitors came in, backing the tax collector. Trailing behind them was a personnel carrier with thick armored plating and a rail gun on its roof.

 

My body shook in complete anticipation. Before, I had thought this day would never come and would forever have to take the VHA’s shit. It was freeing, like so many invisible chains holding me back were released. Like a chimpanzee escaped from a zoo, it was time for payback.

 

I tapped the side of a post, activating the barriers. They were our only hope against a piece of supersonic-depleted uranium. I didn’t see cattle cars trailing behind the armor, so they started out dishonest. One of the power armored soldiers leading the carrier stopped against the barrier. A lightning-fast punch impacted the invisible wall and did nothing. Servos ground as the inquisitor unleashed a second blow armed with a spell.

 

Pale green lightning crackled around the man’s gantlet and impacted the barrier. Unless they were dropping a nuke, I wouldn’t be impressed. I approached and stopped at the barrier line and waited.

 

One of the inquisitors raised its minigun attachment, and the cylinder turned.

 

I tall man in a green business suit ran out waving his hands. “Enough, enough I say our good friends at Stark Farms are good tax-paying members of the association. Listen to me, young man; you and your brother have been led astray. Take down your wards and swear fealty to the new association council and the new Grand Inquisitor Ludwick. Come, young man, we will guide you safely to the capital city of Corinth, where we will give you free room and board for your stay. See the sites, meet single girls, and don’t worry about your tribute this month. Your loyalty is tribute enough in these hard times.” Edgar Style said.

 

Being good tax-paying members of the association had done nothing for us. Their protection was worthless, their bars were too expensive, and they bought our cattle cheaply since we weren’t premium members. Since they were the only game in town, we couldn’t sell elsewhere.

 

Maybe the power was going to my head. The black power armor covered in thunder-struck eagles and swastikas didn’t reassure me. Why didn’t they bust the old mobile infantry equipment when the drones invaded? They needed this kind of hardware to stand up to World Gov.

 

The fact they didn’t bother told me that either this armor was built in the last few days, they were already preparing it, or World Gov had given it to them.

 

I stared at them, checking out their weapons and planning my point of attack. Mages were squishy, and inquisitors were no exceptions. Their magic couldn’t fully prevent them from blacking out from their brain bouncing in the skull. Once someone got that good, they didn’t need power armor anymore.

 

My body moved, crossing the distance in an instant. I felt my fingers dig through the soft metal of the closest soldier’s breastplate, and I peeled it away. The man inside screamed while the closest member slashed with a buzzing chain sword. Aura appeared at the tip of my finger, first red, then white from concentration. A blinding beam shot through two of the mobile suits, killing the pilots as I turned the laser, cutting through them.

 

Silver and red rivulets of molten slag and blood flowed from the chests of the suits on the ground. Edgar puked while I opened fire on the last one. The armor withstood multiple three-round bursts before another laser tore into the powerful armored soldier. I understood these were not the Magna Meisters with powerful MN drive-powered mobile suits. These inquisitors' power armor was designed for farm and dock work. None of them had the MN drive’s energy shielding.

 

The duel of control, power usage, and trump cards had to wait another day.

 

“Don’t kill me,” Edgar said.

 

“When I said the tribute was too much, what did you say?” I asked.

 

The man shook his head.

 

I approached him.

 

“I didn’t mean it; I was wrong,” Edgar said.

 

I shook my head and kicked him into the armored grill of his truck. The railgun fired, and its round stopped on my barrier. These rounds didn’t even have a full metal enchanted jacket. It was like trying to stop a truck with a raindrop.

 

The mobile armor was a gift from World Gov, and the VHA didn’t have time to upgrade it. If they had, then my laser wouldn’t have been so effective.

 

“Woe to the vanquished,” I said.

 

The man’s eyes were so wide they nearly bugged out of his head. Then I heard heels tapping on gravel, and my attention turned to Ember walking under a pink flowery parasol. Her red eyes fell upon the man in green.

 

“Did you order delivery?” Ember asked.

 

I opened my mouth and closed it. All the tension I held onto the last few days bled out of me, and I laughed.

 

“Well, he lost; that means he’s mine to do as I wish,” I said.

 

“No, you won’t get away with this,” Edgar said.

 

“You’ve already shown me your throat, so why should I fear the VHA?” I asked.

 

Edgar said nothing as Ember stepped closer, her heels clicking on the gravel with every step. When her parasol’s shade overtook him, Edgar stared. Ember’s red lips parted, revealing shining white fangs.

 

“We have drones,” Edgar said.

 

“I guessed as much.” Ember’s mouth stretched wider than normal as she slowly bent down. “Do you have anything good to barter for your life?” I asked.

 

My body glowed with my aura held tightly to my skin. I hoped it gave me a demonic aesthetic, and by the way, the man looked between us, it did. He struggled to move, but all he managed was a flinch.

 

“There was a spy in Lucien’s family,” Edgar said.

 

Emily could have given World Gov information and hid with Jason during the event. Edgar hadn’t even asked about her.

 

“Maybe you should turn away mortals who can find feeding uncomfortable. One of my brothers’ relationships ended that way.” Ember said.

 

I have slaughtered my share of cows, chickens, and goats. Seeing Ember feed was something else entirely.

 

“The vampires aren’t all being retired, only the royals,” Edgar said.

 

I turned away when Ember lunged. There was a horrible gurgling sound, and then bones started breaking. Edgar was a normal human with maybe a little bit of mage training. He was an arrogant piece of shit that loved to lord his power over me. Hearing his death was hard; it might have been better if I had killed him.

 

Ember pulled away, sucking in breath and moaning cutely. Some blood rolled down her chin, and she was all smiles. My body shook a little at the sight. Her red half-rib jacket glowed, and she wore a tiny miniskirt that barely hid her thong-clad ass. She was toned in ways few people managed and had grown on me.

 

On this doomed quest, I considered her an ally.

 

“Killing a messenger will only bring more inquisitors,” Ember said.

 

She pulled out a compact and checked herself out. I stared at the broken corpse on the ground and then at the bodies of those I cooked in their suits or split apart. My aura roiled around me thicker than before, and it would only grow stronger. Concealment Mastery was less than a month away at my current progress. Once I reached that point, I could leave home without drawing attention.

 

Smut

9 Additional Chapters On Patreon

1