107 – On the Precipice of Greatness
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Orion

Orion was savoring the sense of stability the cottage offered when a knock on the door disrupted his brief moment of tranquility. He opened the door, only to be greeted by a face he hadn't expected to see so soon: Pollux.

"Orion," Pollux's voice dripped with false warmth. "I see you've made yourself at home."

Orion, chin raised in defiance, responded, "As anyone would after such a journey. What do you want, Pollux?"

Pollux's eyes darted past Orion, attempting to catch a glimpse of Lyra. "I wanted to thank you for returning my sister to me." A hint of mockery tinged his voice. "Though I must say, it'd be best if you handed her over to me now and left the city."

Orion's eyes narrowed. "She's not an object to be handed over. And just so you know, I have every right to be in this city as you do."

Pollux smirked, "Ah, yes, your heritage. Must be nice, some of us have to prove ourselves. But I wonder what the Sacred Illuminary would say about your ties to the Demon Lord."

Orion resisted the urge to launch a Ember Spark at him. "That's a baseless accusation, Pollux. You have no proof."

Before Orion could further challenge him, Lyra's voice rang out from behind. "Pollux, enough!"

Pollux, momentarily caught off guard, shifted his gaze to his sister. "Lyra! I was worried about you." A softer tone now, almost genuine, "I've even purchased a villa for Claudia and me. There's a room for you there."

Lyra's expression remained steely. "Pollux, I'll speak with you. But not now. And not here. After what you did at the Sylph Village, you've lost your right to make demands."

The tension in the room could've been cut with a knife. But amidst it all, a glint of resolve shone in Orion's eyes. He might be in a new city with new challenges, but he wasn't about to let anyone threaten his family.

As Pollux continued his demands, a tempest of emotions raged within Orion. He remembered all the times Lyra recounted how Pollux dismissed her, ridiculed her dreams, and always tried to control her life. It wasn't just the audacity of Pollux's claim, but the sheer hypocrisy of him acting as a concerned brother.

"Pollux, for all your talk of being a caring brother, you've done nothing but bring her pain," Orion snapped, his voice firm. "You have no right to walk into our home and make demands."

Pollux's face flushed with a mix of anger and embarrassment. "You have no idea about our history, Orion."

Before Orion could retort, a deep voice interrupted, "Is there a problem here?"

Turning, Orion saw a city guard, fully armored, standing outside the little cottage behind Pollux, scrutinizing the scene. He noticed Pollux's discomfort and smirked inwardly. The tables had turned.

Pollux, not keen on escalating things with the city guard present, replied tersely, "No. I was just leaving."

The guard, eyes still narrowed, responded, "See that you do. And next time, remember that causing a disturbance isn't looked upon kindly in Noctis Serenitis."

As Pollux retreated, a small victory played out for Orion, not just over Lyra’s arrogant brother, but also in asserting his place in the city. Inside, Orion felt a blend of satisfaction and protectiveness.

Orion stared in awe at the expansive chamber of the Kingdom of Noctis administration. The long, winding lines of people and the quick scribbles of quills were testament to the city's efficiency.

A clerk beckoned him. "Name?"

"Seraphim Orion. I'm here about the pension for the Nobilis."

After a few quick scrolls through an enormous ledger, the clerk's eyes widened. "Eight years of unclaimed pension... Here's the sum," she stated, handing him a sizable pouch of gold coins.

Orion's eyes widened. "Surely this must be a mistake." he blurted out.

"No, young master. That's eight years worth. Seems someone didn’t claim it."

Back at the cottage, with Gee and San animatedly discussing the things they’d do with this new concept of ‘money’, Eirene brought up the matter of sleeping arrangements.

"There are only two bedrooms," she said. "So, Orion and Gee in one, and the three of us ladies in the other?"

Gee grimaced, "But I’ve always slept next to San!"

San nodded in agreement, her face etched with the same discomfort.

Eirene considered this, "Fine. Orion, you can bunk with Lyra and me. I'll be in the middle, of course."

Orion blinked in surprise, "Eirene, are you sure?"

"Absolutely. You’re going to need someone to shield you from Lyra's kicks," she winked.

Everyone laughed, the earlier tension with Pollux forgotten for the moment.

But amidst the laughter, Orion's mind was on the weight of the gold in his pocket, the responsibilities it symbolized, and the path of discovery that lay ahead. The pieces were falling into place. He was where he needed to be.

The sun was beginning its descent, casting a golden hue over the Great City, when a courier arrived at their cottage. He handed a sealed envelope to Orion, bearing the insignia of the University at the Citadel of the Sacred Illuminary.

San nudged Gee, her eyes sparkling with mischief. "Someone's popular!"

Orion opened the letter, scanning its contents quickly. His eyes lit up with a mixture of surprise and exhilaration. "I passed the entrance exam! And not just passed... a perfect score!"

Eirene beamed, "Orion, that's wonderful! Your father would have been so proud."

Lyra hugged him, "This is only the beginning for you, Orion. Your destiny awaits."

Gee jumped up, nearly knocking over a vase in the process. "Does this mean we get to visit you at the University? I heard they have the best sweets in town!"

Everyone laughed, and as the joy settled, Orion looked thoughtful. "There's something else," he began, drawing everyone's attention. "I've decided on my major. I want to delve into 'Eternal Phoenix Studies'."

Silence. Eirene looked deep in thought, while the others seemed puzzled.

"That's a rare field, Orion," Eirene finally said. "Not many venture there, especially given the religious implications."

Orion nodded. "I know. But Professor Cornelius Cox specializes in it. He's rumored to be looking for a new pupil. Perhaps someone with a perfect score might catch his eye."

Lyra leaned in, her voice soft but full of conviction. "This is your path, Orion. This city, the University, the mysteries of the Eternal Phoenix… they're all intertwined with your destiny."

The sun vanished below the horizon, but for Orion, the journey was just dawning. The adventures and revelations of Noctis Serenitis awaited, and he was ready.

0