112 – Shadow Over Serenity
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lyra

As Lyra's heels clicked softly on the cool marble of Pollux's opulent villa, her heart fluttered with unease. The scent of exotic flowers wafted in from the gardens, creating a stark contrast to her mounting anxiety.

Upon entering, Claudia greeted her with open arms, her embrace filled with genuine warmth. “Lyra, darling, it's been ages.”

Lyra responded with a gentle smile, “It truly has.” But as her gaze shifted to Pollux, standing slightly aloof, a rush of memories flooded back.

Bounding forward with the unrestrained enthusiasm of youth, Alaric, Pollux ad Claudia’s young son, tugged at her dress, "You're Aunt Lyra, right?"
Behind him, in a beautifully crafted crib, Phina, their daughter’s, big eyes were fixated on Lyra, blinking with innocent wonder.

Lyra bent down, ruffling Alaric’s hair. "Yes, little adventurer. And you've grown so much since I last heard of you."

Pollux stepped forward, his voice laced with both warmth and reservation. "It's good you could come, Lyra. Our home has changed a lot."

Claudia, always the gracious host, interjected, “Pollux’s adventures and our devout contributions to the Church of the Sacred Illuminary have been bountiful. We were fortunate enough to buy our way into the Nobilis class, taking on the name ‘Drake’.”

“And speaking of fortune,” she added playfully, “if things between you and Orion were to, let's say, become formalized, you could also find yourself ascending the societal ladder.”

Lyra chuckled, "Always the romantic, Claudia. We’ll see where fate leads us."

However, as the laughter and chatter of the evening continued, Lyra felt the weight of Pollux's lingering glances. An unsaid truth hung between them, a secret yearning to be revealed. She knew this visit would be about more than just catching up.

In the tranquility of the garden, Lyra found herself entranced by the dance of moonlight on the petals of the night-blooming flowers. The serenity was intermittently disturbed by distant rumblings, a reminder of the city’s ever-present pulse.

Pollux approached her slowly, his silhouette almost blending with the shadows. “It’s a beautiful night,” he remarked, his voice soft but laden with emotion.

“It is,” Lyra whispered, feeling a surge of memories and emotions as she met his gaze. The shared past between them always felt like an open wound, and tonight it seemed the bandage would be ripped away.

Taking a deep breath, Pollux began, “I think it’s time you knew, Lyra. Father… he changed after you touched the Dawn's Tear. He believed it cast a shadow over our family, that you brought a curse upon us.”

Lyra, her heart heavy, urged him to continue, “I remember… But what happened after I was gone?”

A pained expression crossed Pollux’s face. “His obsession grew. He believed the only way to rid our family of the curse was to...” He paused, struggling with the words, “...to find and eliminate you.”

A gasp escaped Lyra’s lips. The weight of that revelation sinking in. “But... why? How could he believe that?”

“The madness of superstition,” Pollux murmured. “It consumed him. And so, to protect you, I did the unthinkable.”

The garden seemed to grow quieter, the world holding its breath as Pollux opened his right hand, revealing a scar in the shape of a dragon. “This...” he began.

Lyra, curious and alarmed, interrupted, “What happened to your hand, Pollux?”

But he only closed his fist, hiding the scar. “That's a story for another time. But Lyra, you needed to know the truth about our father. I took his life to save yours.”

Tears welled up in Lyra’s eyes, the gravity of the confession leaving her speechless. The bond between them, once strained by distance and misunderstanding, now held a new depth, forged in the fires of shared pain and sacrifice.

Silence stretched between the siblings, the weight of Pollux's revelations heavy in the air. Lyra took a moment, her mind racing to piece together the fragments of their broken past.

The gentle chirping of the nocturnal creatures gradually seemed out of place, their melody overshadowed by another, more ominous rhythm. The distant rumblings now took on a more structured cadence – the unmistakable sound of hooves pounding the earth.

Lyra's heart raced, her instincts kicking in. "Pollux," she whispered, gripping his arm, "do you hear that?"

His face, which moments ago had been filled with sorrow and regret, now tightened with alarm. "It can't be..."

But it was. The once-distant sounds were now unmistakably close. The soft glow of torches painted the horizon with an eerie orange light. Even in the dimness, the insignia on their banners was clear. Thanar's emblem.

Pollux stood, pulling Lyra to her feet. "We need to get inside. Now."

"But the children," Lyra's voice wavered with panic, thinking of Alaric and Phina.

"We'll get to them," Pollux promised, determination seeping into his voice. "But first, we need to prepare.”

The evening, which started with warmth and memories, had rapidly turned into a nightmare. The villa’s usual serene atmosphere was punctuated by the blaring alarms. A shimmering barrier enveloped the estate, sealing off the outside world, yet Lyra could see the shadowy figures of Thanar's forces drawing closer.

“Is Thanar so bold as to make his attack this close to the city? Is the Sacred Illuminary so weak as to allow him to?” Pollux whispered, his voice tinged with disbelief.

Lyra shook her head, trying to make sense of the situation. "It doesn't matter right now. We need to find Claudia and the kids." Her voice held urgency, her eyes darting around, searching for an entry point.

But the villa had segmented into isolated sections, each area locked down for protection. The soft cries of Phina and Alaric echoed faintly, causing both siblings' hearts to lurch in fear.

Pollux clenched his fist, “The defense system has cut us off, so we’ll have to take the underground tunnels to reach them, and then escape into the nearby forest.”

Lyra nodded, “Let’s just hope they’re not expecting that.”

With the enemy closing in, the two siblings found themselves united by a single purpose – protecting their family. Taking a steadying breath, weapons at the ready, they delved into the shadows.

0