15 – The Pestilence Revealed
1.3k 14 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[A/N: So, I was doing some research over the MC's Heritage, and even now I am still confused by some of the more...complicated perks, especially when it comes to the Outsider Heritage Tree. For example, Prophet of Paradox has one line that is...confusing, to say the least. "Finally, your total union with the unknowable reveals to you all secrets. You may retroactively spend unused time in order to learn anything you are capable of teaching yourself with Sanity - Shattering Instruction, and you are incapable of being deceived: you recognize all lies, including lies of omission, see through all forms of illusion and disguise, and all of your senses operate through infallible claircognizance." I wonder, does this mean, theoretically, that the MC could teach himself anything?]

Standing over a table, two figures could be seen standing around a corpse.

One of the figures, wearing a hooded robe with a white Plague Doctor Mask could be seen probing the corpse with a variety of tools, peeling open the flesh of the cadaver to provide better access to the internal organs.

"As you can see, his lungs are not in the best of shape, he was a heavy smoker. If you look here, you can see that his bowels and intestines were inflamed as well before death, tell me, what else do you see?" The Doctor asked the other figure.

"So...much," The second figure answered with as black as the void staring deep into the cadaver.

The Doctor let out a small chuckle before saying, "Indeed, the human body is a treasure trove of knowledge that has helped me much over my life and my goal of eradicating the Pestilence."

As the Doctor taught the Outsider, the Outsider entered a sort of trance of enlightenment and soaked up the knowledge the Doctor parted like a sponge, not only that, the Outsider seemed to learn at a superhuman rate, far faster than any moral had any right to.

By the time an hour had passed, the Outsider knew the inside and out of the Human cadaver on the table, to the point where it knew the location and function of every bone, organ, vein, and muscle tissue.

But as one hour turned to two, and two to three, the Doctor began running out of things to teach and show the Outsider, and unfortunately for them, both, their little lesson would be interrupted soon by some very...annoyed individuals.

Sounds of gunshots echoed from the distance along with screams as the Outsider felt the malformed souls of the Doctor's puppets fall to a rapidly advancing force.

Thinking for a few moments the Outsider realized that it would be quite unfortunate to lose his mentor so early on in his training, and after this...incident, he surely would not be able to see him again for some time.

Humming in thought, the Outsider gazed over to the Doctor who placed down his tools and looked over to the door of the cafeteria.

"They will no doubt be here soon," The Plague Doctor informed the Outsider, who nodded in response in affirmation.

"I know," The Outsider commented as he watched with fascination as the Doctor stitched closed the malformed cadaver that still housed part of its old soul with a chunk of the soul being dragged to his Omen and into his afterlife.

The longer the Outsider watched the Doctor work, the more curious he became.

From his observations, he found that the Doctor was actually able to touch the souls of the living, and with a slight pinch, kill their mortal shells.

Sure, the Outsider could touch souls as well, but never had it touched the soul of someone still living. Growing curious, the Outsider stashed that thought to the back of his mind for later experimentation.

"Doctor?" The Outsider called out.

"Yes?" The Doctor answered, not tearing his eyes away from his newly animated corpse that rose from the cafeteria table.

"How would you like to visit my home? One where you need not worry about the Foundation harassing you?" The Outsider asked, curious and offering.

"Oh? Where is this 'home' of yours that even the Foundation would not be able to 'harass me' as you put it," The Doctor asked, curious.

Smiling, the Outsider spoke before waving their hand, "I'm so glad you asked," The Outsider stated before a portal tore into reality.

The small white pupils of the Doctor widened slightly in surprise upon seeing the portal.

With an eerie smile, the Outsider beckoned the Good Doctor to his freedom, and the Doctor obliged, walking through the portal.

...

Feeling happy that I managed to get such a powerful asset to join me, I watched as the Good Doctor beckoned his...animated corpses to through, leaving me alone in the Cafeteria.

I placed the Doctor not far from the cabin yet far and deep within the woods to prevent the Doctor from getting his hands on the souls of the residents of my Afterlife.

However, just before I closed the portal, I noticed that all of the Doctor's thralls collapsed and crumbled to dust as soon as they stepped within my Afterlife, freeing the bits and pieces of souls still left within the corpses. The fragments then returned to their owners who arrived in my Afterlife through my Omen not so long ago.

That's when I noticed something on the fragments of the souls.

Stepping into my afterlife, I waved my hand, stopping the soul fragments from returning to their hosts.

Why did I stop the souls, you may wonder?

I noticed something. Something that should not be there. A wriggling mass squirming and moving within the soul fragments, like thousands of earthworms in mud. It was disgusting.

With a swing of my hand, brought the fragments closer, that's when the Doctor spoke up with disgust, "They were far too close to falling to the Pestilence, poor men."

"Wait, this is the Pestilence?" I asked, baffled, much to the surprise of the Doctor.

"You can see it?" The Doctor questioned, advancing on to me before he was standing no farther than a few feet from my body.

"The weird worm-like things infesting these soul fragments?" I asked, concerned.

"Parasites. Carriers of the Pestilence, and the main transmitters of the Pestilence," The Plague Doctor answered with enthusiasm.

"Main transmitters? There are others?" I asked.

"Of course. From my studies, I have found several different natural carriers of the Pestilence, and so much more," The Doctor informed me, seemingly becoming increasingly more enthusiastic now that he knew I could 'see' the Pestilence.

However, that brought up some other concerns. If this was some kind of soul...disease, does that mean the other souls dwelling within my Afterlife are infected? No, surely not. I would have noticed them by now if they were...is it because they were not filtered by me or my omen and instead let in through a portal?

Containing the souls in a bubble, I motioned with my hand and brought the contained 'Pestilence' and Soul Fragments to the Doctor.

"I leave it in your care, Doctor. However, I ask that you wait for me before you start any procedures. I'd like to see and help if I can, after all, if the Pestilence can infect the Soul, then it lies in my best interest to either find a cure for the Pestilence or eradicate it entirely, after all, I won't allow this...disease to fester within my Afterlife," I spoke, much to the confusion of the Doctor.

"Afterlife?" The Good Doctor asked, confused.

"That's right, welcome to my home Doctor," I welcomed him, before finally revealing my Harbinger Form, having reverted back to my human one temporarily when I stumbled upon him so as to not scare him.

"If you'll give me a moment," The Doctor eventually spoke after almost two minutes of silence.

"No worries, feel free to walk through these woods, I assure you that you will be safe. I'll give you a few hours to think, in the meantime, I'll deal with the Foundation, and try to calm them down," I smiled to the Doctor, the bones of my skeletal skull bending and shifting to form an inhuman smile.

The Doctor, not even responding, simply stared off into the distance.

Waving my hand, I conjured a small bench for him to sit on, and with another, countless lavenders sprouted from the ground before blooming, filling the air with their pleasant scent, which seemed to help calm the Doctor down.

Stepping back out of my Dimension, I closed the gate, only to find a large force of Task Force all aiming their weapons at me, ready to fire.

60