1. Worthless dreams
108 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The echo of metal striking metal reverberated through the dimly lit room, combining with the rapid clicking of controller buttons. Leon sat hunched over in his wheelchair, immersed in the virtual world displayed on his computer screen. He easily maneuvered through the final moments of his favorite game “World of the end” for the 14th time.

As the triumphant display of victory swelled and the ending cutscene began to play, Leon allowed himself a moment of satisfaction from the constant weight of reality. He closed his eyes in order to let them rest. But it was short-lived, as the familiar sound of his father's frustrated voice drifted into his sanctuary.

"22 years old and still playing video games all day" his father grumbled just outside the door. "He should be out there, doing something with his life"

Leon's knuckles turned white as he gripped the controller tightly, his jaw clenched in an effort to hold back the wave of bitterness that threatened to escape as words.

"Darling, you know why he's like this" his mother's gentle voice soothed. "The accident took so much from him. He needs time to heal and figure himself out"

Leon knew that his mother's unwavering faith in him only intensified his father's disappointment. And though he tried to dismiss the harsh words as the product of misguided concern, they burrowed deep, causing his heart to ache.

Shaking his head, Leon forced his attention back to the game. The credits rolled, names and titles scrolling past in a blur, but the satisfaction of victory had evaporated. The screen faded to black, and Leon was left staring at his own haggard reflection in the darkened monitor.

"World of the End" had once been a thrilling escape from the crushing weight of reality, but now it felt like just another reminder of what he'd lost.

Leon's fingers dug into the cold metal of his wheelchair, a futile attempt to anchor himself from the memories threatening to consume him. Memories of his ambitious youth chasing his boxing dreams. At sixteen, he took the amateur under-18 scene by storm, winning match after match while climbing closer to his goals. 

But then, just two days before his professional debut at eighteen, fate had dealt him a cruel blow. A construction site collapsed, leaving fourteen dead and countless damaged including Leon. The accident had robbed him of his mobility, stealing away his dreams of a career in the ring and condemning him to a life trapped within the confines of a metal seat.

As he sat there, wallowing in the bitter sting of regret, a knock on his door jarred him from his sorrow. With a sigh, he expertly maneuvered his wheelchair over to his door, pulling it open to reveal the concerned face of his mother, Samantha. Her eyes held a mixture of sadness and sympathy as she took in her son's haggard appearance.

"Hey, sweetheart" she said softly, extending a plate piled high with spaghetti. "I thought you might be hungry"

"Thanks, Mom" Leon muttered, taking the food and wheeling himself back to his desk. He knew his mother wished the best for him, despite his current struggles

As he ate, the sharp ache that haunted him ever since the accident, surged up his spine like a bolt of lightning. Grimacing, he reached for the bottle of painkillers that sat beside his computer, shaking a single pill onto his palm. He swallowed it quickly, desperate for relief.

"Are you alright?" Samantha asked, her brows knitting together in worry.

"Fine" he lied, forcing a weak smile. "Just tired, I guess"

"Alright" she said hesitantly, pausing for a moment before planting a tender kiss on his forehead.

"Thanks, Mom" he whispered, the words barely audible as they escaped his lips. He watched his mother exit his room once more before turning back towards his food.

As he scraped the last bit of spaghetti from his plate, Leon looked down at the once well-toned body that carried him through countless boxing matches now rounded and heavy. Anger and sorrow boiling over at just another reminder of his unfair fate.

"Maybe just one more game" he whispered to himself, hoping to lose himself in the digital world for a few more hours. But as he reached for the controller, pain surged through his body once again, like a forest fire spreading through his nerves.

"Damn it!" he cursed, clenching his teeth in frustration. He knew better than to take another painkiller so soon, but the agony was unbearable, and he couldn't focus on anything else. 

"Come on, Leon" he muttered under his breath, trying to will the pain away. "You can handle this" For a moment, it seemed as though his determination might be enough to quell the storm raging within him.

But then, his body betrayed him, muscles spasming uncontrollably as pain washed over him in waves. Sweat beaded on his forehead, and his vision blurred at the edges, dark spots dancing before his eyes. Desperate for relief, he fumbled for the bottle of painkillers, swallowing another pill in hopes of numbing away the pain.

"Maybe I should just call it a night" he thought, defeated.

Wheeling himself towards his bed, he tried to focus on the simple act of moving, but every jolt sent shockwaves of pain radiating through his body. But as he turned to transfer from his wheelchair to the bed, his body betrayed him once again, convulsing violently and sending him crashing to the ground.

"Help…" he gasped, the words barely a breath as they left his lips. Unable to move or cry out any louder, all that remained was the slow creeping of darkness as it swallowed him whole, and Leon finally succumbed to its cold embrace, losing consciousness.


With a startle, Leon's eyes snapped open, his breath coming in ragged gasps. His head pulsed in agony as he tried to readjust his body. His vision blurred, dizzying and disorienting as he tried to focus on the world around him.

"Where…where am I?" he muttered, confusion burning in his mind.

Slowly and painfully, the image began to clear into something understandable. An unfamiliar room surrounded him, its sleek clean environment and bright colors a strong contrast compared to his previously bleak room.

"Is this...a dream?" he questioned, his thoughts sluggish and heavy with lingering pain.

2