I am a what?
160 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Walking through a dark tunnel a boy hears the gravel under his feet crunching and then the soft click of the lock. His heart rate is fast and his hands are shaking as he pulls the door open but he doesn’t let it show on his face as he steps out into the light and the crisp early autumn air.

 

He noticed the outfit he was in shock as he observed the knife in the hand he held. It looked like something you would find on a medieval battlefield and it gave him a strange chill of nostalgia, something that made him uneasy. He didn't know why though, maybe some kind of subconscious warning or recognition, he thought, but couldn’t shake it off.

 

A face mask covered his mouth as he gawked at his black sleeves cuffed to the wrist. It wasn’t too long, just enough to cover his arms as if they were covered in blood or something else. But for some reason, he knew it was the only way to survive.

 

[Welcome to Tranquility Online.] 

 

[Default Name: Niles.] 

 

[Class Decided: Player Killer.] 

 

[Niles, you were chosen to play a particular class hence why you were given a free VR headset by our team here at Angelberg Interactive.] 

 

“Why am I a player killer though?” Niles asked. 

 

[Player Killer is a newly risen class in testing mode so we are asking you and a few others to endure the process…After you are done with this trial you will be granted access to any class you wish] 

 

“So what do I do as a player killer?” He questioned. 

 

[Player Killer: Niles.] 

 

[Level 10: HP 1000/1000.] 

 

“Sweet, I get to be level 10?!” Niles said with a jump. 

 

[Since your class is unique, your equipment only needs upgrades…we suggest you look out for golden coins.] 

 

“So I am supposed to look like a stalker killer in anime?” He thought. 

 

[Your name is red and all the other players who are player killers will be in similar colors while regular players are white, black, or cyan blue.] 

 

He acknowledged he was in a graveyard with a dead person when he saw a man lying dead in a coffin but he shook his head. There was more to the story than what this stupid game wanted to sell. ‘And so what? Who cares? You can’t care that much about one random guy dying when there are hundreds of people dying every day.’ 

 

The game map looked large for a cemetery, the walls around him had different levels of damage from the surrounding buildings and roads. There was a path leading up and down to an intersection of several paths. The area appeared to have a small city in its heart with a tall wall surrounding everything.

 

[My name is Eveaf and for the time being, I will be recording your journey, heart rates, and mental instances during this lengthy trial…please allow yourself to get into the role of the player killer as you know this is a game and should have frustrating role-playing adventurers.] 

 

“My role is to kill players who are playing the game?” Nile questioned. 

 

[Bonus funds for every player depending on the level of a player killed: example 1-10 is 1$ USD.] 

 

“Money?! I will get money for a trial?!” Nile shouted. 

 

[Of course…after all, you are important to shaping this game’s future so we will gladly do anything to stimulate your desire to participate.] 

 

“Fine! I won’t mind this whole project if you pay me then,” He huffed. 

 

[Great: Activating Phase One of Player Killer.] 

 

“Understood!” Nile yelled. 

 

He held out his knife as he gawked at the rainbow shine it emitted before turning on his heel. When he came back around the corner the path looked as normal as it could, with the exception of the fact it was lined with stone crosses each one was carved with an engraving of a name.

No way was he going to be one of those guys.

 

Translucent ghosts would pop, almost scaring him as he pushed his hood over his head. They floated by as he walked, their eyes blank, staring ahead at nothing he took deep breaths trying not to hyperventilate.

 

‘What the hell am I doing here, how did I even agree to this?  What does any of this have to do with anything?’

 

Nile saw no one on this map except for some people walking along a pathway. It felt like being in a horror movie. The trees were dripping in blood and it sent chills down his spine As he passed them Nile turned and glanced back at the tombstones he had been passing through.

 

 ‘Why am I doing this anyway? It isn’t as if I care if these are all players. Maybe it was time to try killing someone. Just for the hell of it.’ He smirked to himself as he began to walk faster. He reached up for his hoodie pocket feeling the familiar metal grip of his knife.

 

In the distance, he saw a healer and assassin dungeon dating on the same map by a haunted house and he wondered what this might entail. This seemed like something worth investigating. As he approached the building he was surprised to see that the gate that led inside was broken

That wouldn’t stop anyone who didn’t know it was there, he realized.

 

[Emilia_Stone: Healer | LVL 6.] 

 

[WinterSlut69: Assassin ] LVL 10.] 

 

Neither was in a guild he noticed as he tried to get closer.

 

“This might be fun,” He said to himself as he ducked underneath the chain link fence entering the dungeon. A few moments later he was greeted by a group of five skeletons who were chatting idly as they wandered the dungeon, not even glancing up at his presence.

 

He watched them walk away casually as he got angry. What was wrong with these people?! They were acting like he was invisible!! And the others! He glared at them and clenched his fists

As the next few minutes went by the skeletons stopped talking and stared at him

They were watching him, waiting for him to make a move…and they weren’t very subtle.

 

“I don’t get it. How do you even kill people?” Nile thought. 

 

[Your knife’s proficiency is 1%.] 

 

“I guess that is good to know,” He whispered. 

 

“Nothing personal!” A man laughed. 

 

Covered in a long coat up to his nose and a large scissor blade in hand he swung it fiercely as he impaled the Healer’s stomach. He grinned in satisfaction as he pulled it out and stabbed her again before she hit the ground. 

 

“That…really hurt,” She wheezed as she slowly fell to the ground.

 

[Nova acquired 1$ USD for slaying Emilia_Stone.]

 

“Yes, yes it did,” He replied.

 

“Hey! What the fuck!” WinterSlut69 shouted. 

 

The assassin brandished his dual swords angrily at Nova. 

 

“I bet you think you’re funny huh punk! That’s my lady you’re fuckin’ messing around with, go home! Leave her alone!! She’s my bitch!”

 

His sword whistled menacingly towards his face as Nova dodged the assassin's attack, barely missing a slice across his cheek.

 

[There will be an invisible leaderboard between the six of you player killers. The highest kill count you will obtain a prize at the end of the trial.] 

 

“You are making it so hard for me to say no!” Nile whimpered. 

 

Nova flipped the blade quickly before smashing it into the assassin’s gut.

 

[Player killboard has been activated by Nova! First]

 

[Nova is currently at level 10 and has a 100 EXP.]

 

Niles stared at the scoreboard.

 

[100 EXP +50 XP = 10150 EXP]

 

“Woah! Seriously?” He gasped. He was also Level 10, but he didn’t expect that even though it would make sense. 

 

Nova caught sight of Niles as WinterSlut69 faded away into mist he grinned wickedly as he charged forward and kicked him square on his chest knocking him back. He grabbed his arm and twisted it painfully behind his back. He yelped in pain as he felt a sharp knife scrape against his skin. Nile winced at the coldness against his shoulder and back.

 

[Player Notice: Please be aware that every time killed by another player killer that kills you will owe a 1$ USD *Keep in mind this depends on PK levels* or go negative owing Angelberg Interactive so please level your skills!] 

 

“It was nice seeing you, Niles!” Nova grinned. 

 

The sword pushed through his shoulder and quickly thrusted again into Nile’s chest making him gasp as he felt a warm sensation spread throughout his body.

 

“Wait. Wait. wait. Wait. Wait. Wait. WAIT!” Niles whined as a dark aura spread around him. 

 

[His HP decreased by 1,000 points,] [-1,000 points.]

 

“Gahhh! Stop!” He screamed

 

“Oh! This is great!” Nova cheered.

 

[A player’s level has risen due to your efforts.]

 

Suddenly the aura around him disappeared as Nile stood there stunned. His HP had fallen to 0 points as his body reset itself to zero.

 

"You...you..." Niles stammered.

 

The man grinned before pushing his hand further in as the world faded. His heart sped up as he heard a low chuckle coming out of Nova.

 

“Don’t worry!” The Player Killer stated.

 

[Player Death Niles: 1]

 

[-1$ USD: Niles.]

2