Chapter 2
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He could only feel the sensation of his skin burning. His armour being as hot as the desert. He slowly started gaining conscience. He was standing in his knees, the ground around him burned. It looked like he was in a field, the night was really dark, maybe because his eyes were still not accustomed. He raised himself, looked at his armour, sparks of lightning coming out of it. Two flashes behind him, two figures stood. One dressed like what is seemed a priest and a knight. Instinctevly he put his hand on the sword, ready in case he is threatened.

“No need for fighting. We are here to help you.” said the priest

“Where am I?”

“All in due time. Firstly, are you all right? Need anything for that fall?”

“No, I am fine. Thank you”

“No need to thank me. I am Gabriel, my companion here is named Vulcan”

“I am Theodor, nice to meet you.”

“Now, shall we continue? Listen closelly, if you want you can travel with us to our capital and learn everything there. If not, suit yourself, but you have to respect the local rules which you do not know.”

Theodor looked a bit perplexed at that man. You do not see people often fall out from the sky and you offer them help without asking about you or why have you crashed. One familiar thing popped into his head, they looked like they are wielding the same power as him, fire and lightning. For now that was more than to assure him of their good intentions. Some doubts still lingered in his mind, but he got curious and that is his flaw.

“All right, all right. I does not look I have any other choice, please lead onwards”

“Oh no need for that, we are teleporting back. For-“ he pauses a bit to think what to say “safety purposes”

“Are we in danger?”

“Sort of. Come closer”

All three got really close to each other. Theodor was more curious about the knight. Didn’t say a word the whole time and always with the hand on the weapon. After a brief white flash, Theodor found himself in another place. He looked around and saw to what it looked to him, a cathedral. Painted glass depicting moments of long past ages, bright yellow and red colours dominate the cathedral. From inside you can see the high towers. He looked through the glass, a storm rages outside, winds howling and rain hitting hard. Even so, he could see the city, the closest building looked like a house made of marble sitting next to a wall that separates this part of the city from the rest. A beautiful garden with many exotic flowers is slowly ruined by this storm. He followed his escort to some sort of an altar that was at the center of the cathedral, slightly higher than the rest of the room. There was a man dressed in white robes with golden edges. His hair is a silver white showing his age. His face inspired warmth and safety.

“Welcome my children. I see that you were successful in your mission”

His voice was calm and slow. Always smiling and always looking directly into their eyes.

“Father, we have brought you Theodor” Gabriel said while bowing down

“Welcome child, I am Pope Lucius XII. I hope you are alright.”

Theodor did not respond. He was looking all around the cathedral

“Beautiful isn’t it? Built with great effort in a short time. Now, let’s get to a chamber were you can eat and learn of this world.”

“Alright. But I need to ask one thing. Are you like me?”

Lucius chuckled

“No, you are far greater than us.”

They moved up on a set of stairs that was close to the entrance, then eventually entered a room . It was quite spacious, royal bed, a table with great decorations on it, armchairs and some paintings. Only Theodor and Lucius were inside.

“Why is there a separate room in a cathedral?”

“I know it is weird, but I wanted a room just for myself after I preach and I really like to look outside, but as you have probably seen, it is raining at this moment.”

“I see.”

Theodor took some time in analysing the room, eventually slowly starting to take of his helmet. His face revealed, blond hair, pale coloured skin with bright red eyes. It had no defects, it was smooth and a bit round.

“If you want to eat, there is some bread and water. Sorry if it is not much, but I do not want to wake my servants during the night.”

“It is fine, I usually do not eat a lot. Especially meat. Thank you for being so kind.”

“You do not have to thank me. I am doing it for everyone. Now, I guess you have some questions.”

After taking a bite of a loaf of bread and drinking a glass of water, Theodor looked again at Lucius. He was sitting close to the window looking outside with his hands at his back.

“Yes, I do. What is this world called?”

“You are on the continent of Titanicus. For now, it is the only continent we know.”

“ Go on.”

“ You are in the Bishopry of Magnum Sol, led by me. We are a safe haven for humans, believing in one religion. The city you are in right now is called Sol Benedictionem, our capital. You landed close to our borders with another state.”

“Yes, Gabriel said that we were not safe there.”

“Indeed. You were close to one of our war-enemies, the House of Arctic Wizards.”

“War?”

“Yes, let me bring a map so it may be easier to explain.”

After a brief moment, Lucius extended a political map of the continent. The Bishopry was close to the centre but more like to the north-west to it. It looked like the biggest country on the continent. To the west it is the sea, to the north Magna Silvia, a territory protected by a great magical forest, to the north-east Empire of Nothoria, east Principality of Belericus, south-east Kingdom of Honoria and the cursed lands of the Undead Legions, south House of Arctic Wizards and south-west the Kroglaw Tribes.

“Now you see, we are at war with all except Belericus and Nothoria.”

Theodor looked a bit stunned.

“Why so many enemies?” he asked still shocked

“Because they want to kill us, destroy everything we had built just because we believe in something else.”

“That is unfair. Everyone should believe in what they want.”

“That is true, but they are so closed in their traditions that they believe that we are a poison to this world.”

After this, Lucius explained The Faith of The Magnum Sol to Theodor. How they were once blessed with an incredible pope that turned the people into good, done great service to everyone on the continent and spread the word of the Sun. After that he got murdered by Honorian assassins and the wars started. The Empire quickly came to their aid and now is waging the same wars. Belericus is not involved in any wars, but they accept the Faith. Lucius described how wizards were rampaging through the country sacrificing people to their gods, how great beasts destroyed villages in matter of minutes. Theodor was touched and angered at this. He felt anger towards them, he couldn’t explain why can’t the people be left alone.

“If it does not bother Lucius, I want to help you.”

Lucius looked at Theodor and then smiled. A single tear fell from his right eye.

“Thank you, you can’t believe what it will mean to all of us. If you want to, tomorrow we will make the announcement that a new paladin has joined the war against the barbarians.”

“Um, yes. Can I visit the city as well after?”

“Sure. Now, please excuse me. I shall go to sleep, tomorrow is a big day afterall, you can stay here for the night and tomorrow we will move you to your house.”

“A house? Already?”

“Do not worry, our warriors always need proper conditions so that they will fight with their full might.”

“Alright. Good night.”

“Good night Theodor.”

After both of them waved to each other, Lucius left from the room. Theodor looked outside. He was excited and happy. He can do good and the people he met so far were great. This moment suddenly passed when he saw the purple light from the night sky. He clenched his fist and then released the grip. A spear appeared in front of him. White with gold, it was radiating light and small sparks were coming out of it. It then disappeared. Theodor inhaled and the armour was slowly disassembling. He remained in a long white shirt. After some minutes he went to sleep.

*

Theodor woke up to what it looked like morning to the sound of birds singing at his window. The weather outside was clear and the sun was shining lightning the golden roofs of some buildings in the city. He got out of bed and put his armour on, leaving only his helmet on the table. Once out of the cathedral he smelled some of the roses. One of the servants, dressed in a white robe, got close to him.

“Sir, Pope Lucius is waiting for you in the courtyard. The ceremony will start shortly.”

“Alright. Lead the way.”

The courtyard was just outside of the cathedral, with a platform in the middle of it. Theodor looked around and saw flags painted red with a yellow sun on them. There was a huge crowd surrounding the platform, but no one was talking. They were waiting for something to happen. On the platform he saw the pope alongside two knights. He could tell that this ceremony was prepared with great care or that it was already prepared. He slowly climbed the platform’s stairs, he could feel that everyone was looking at him, judging him. Lucius approached him.

“Do not worry. They are just curious, no one has ill intent towards you.”

“Alright.”

Lucius now looked at the crowd and extended his hands.

“My children! Our prayers have finally been answered. We shall remember this day as proof that we will not succumb to our enemies. Our new paladin, Theodor, he shows great promise and has already pledged his sword against our foes. All this years of fighting and struggling were not in vain. This is our finest hour and we shall show the world that we are not easily beaten.”

The crowd started cheering and applauding, ovations for Theodor and Lucius, flowers were thrown. Theodor felt important. He felt accepted even though he was a complete stranger to them. At that moment he made the decision to not disappoint anyone, that he will do good, no matter the cost.

Few hours have passed from the ceremony. Theodor was walking around the city, admiring the beautiful city. Firstly he walked through the Holy City where he admired the libraries and statues. Then, passing a stone wall, he got into the Material City, there he saw the commoners of the Bishopry. All clean, smiling, doing their work without any bothers on their mind. He approached to what it looked to him a merchant.

“Hello good sir.”

“Oh, good day noble paladin. How may  I serve you?” he said while bowing his head down

“No need to bow your head, I just need an answer to a question.”

The merchant rose his head and looked in amazement at Theodor.

“If I hold the answer, sure.”

“How come everyone looks so happy. I mean there are a lot of wars but no one seems to be afraid that they might be in danger.”

The question surprised the merchant a bit.

“Well, you see. We trust in our Faith and that the Pope knows the best. Every pope was a good pope, they always led us to victory. They are the messengers and our protectors and of course, your existence is more than enough.”

“What do you mean?”

“You, as a paladin, you people are the most pure in this world. You cannot fall.”

“I understand. Then, I shall leave you to your business, thank you.”

The merchant bowed his head again and returned to his matters. The answers he got helped him to understand more of this world, but at the same time put on more pression on him. He asked other people as well the same question. He always got the same answer. He hasn’t seen people with this much faith. For a moment he felt emboldened to protect them. At sunset he returned to his house. It was close to the cathedral, with windows offering the view of both cities. It was comfortable, two rooms, one looked like a bedroom and the other one was like a storage space, with tools to repair the armour and weapons if needed. The bedroom was spacious with a small library and paintings. He took off his armour and went to sleep, wondering what the next day will bring.

0