Chapter 3
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sunday morning had been drab until then. I had been in the drawing room looking over various bills when I noticed the specs on the table. They couldn't have been Loukas' since we hadn't started his daily routine, and I wouldn't bore myself to tears alone otherwise.

Curiosity had gotten the better of me, and I picked up the frames. Round and scuffed lenses, dented bridge, and way too mundane for anyone in their prime with taste like me. That dratted accountant. He must have tailed the sunrise getting in here to show me up after our row last night.

A bit of collateral for how he treated Loukas was only right for blokes like him. They'd all pretend, but they'd kill for a night with the likes of Loukas. Or me. Makhi . . .

The joke was on that number-crunching turnip since I had his eyes and an elegant gift I'd help myself to. I had lifted the lid and wondered what was inside and how much I'd made off of it back in town.

When I said I had his eyes, I didn't think literally.

Any man would have thought himself bricky having lived in the stench and decay of Yorkshire. But not even the Queen could have stopped me from heading for the hills after seeing that mangled and bloody eye. White stained in red, dripping onto the green iris, and the dilated pupil burned into my mind, begging for mercy that never came.

As usual, I tried to ignore the problem and prayed it would all go away.

I grimaced and placed down my pencil. I could not focus on this shit today. Even worse, there was no one but me and Loukas that morning. The few present servants only came in the late afternoon, so I was alone, and I simply could not peek into that box again.

I pulled my face from my work to the window. Loukas was outside in the garden, which was peculiar due to his poor daytime vision. It all came together when I saw who he was with.

A familiar arm was around him for support, softly like the smile on his face. Alexander strolled with the boy, who seemed to guide him around the marigolds and other flowers he loved.

One of my tasks.

It was evident that Loukas had very few people in his life who cared about him. Alex had returned the evening before I found the box. He claimed he was tired and would be in his quarters. Then it dawned on me who left that little gift on the table.

I snatched the box and tossed it into the rubbish. Loukas did not need to see this. Since my morning was clear, I crept outside and hid behind the gardener's shed and listened carefully.

The two men's chatter was light and held a pleasant tune. Alex's melodic voice rang out like the sweet song of a musician, Loukas' soft voice a quiet breeze that I strained myself to hear.

I kept my lips shut as I peeked at the men. Loukas held a tight smile throughout the conversation. A smile was something so rare on him and as frail as this one was on his face, it was still a smile. I could not help but feel annoyed; the other man's friendliness was so fake it made my skin crawl.

I inched closer, crawling across the muddy ground. My lips twisted into a grimace at the dark stains that appeared on my shoes and sock, but those mattered very little now. I had to hear these men.

"You enjoyed that new seedling I brought you, Puppy? I searched around India for something you may like to have."

"Oh, thank you. I haven't planted them yet, but those types of plants don't do well here . . ."

"Ah, it's always the soil making things more difficult for you. Shame."

I moved forward, little by little, until I heard more from them. Loukas might be in danger if what I suspected was true.

"Anyhow, I see you hired a new butler. I thought the last one would have lasted a lot longer than he did."

"Makhi . . ." The name tumbled out thoughtlessly. I covered my mouth, not daring for another word to slip.

Loukas paused in his tracks and turned to face the foliage I hid in.

My heart pounded in my chest as if ready to burst. With how bright the light was, I knew he may not have seen me, but Alexander could, and if he followed the boy's sight . . .

"Something bothering you?" Alex asked with a hand on Loukas' shoulder.

Loukas' gaze turned to his feet with mild shame, and he said, "Nothing. Yeah, I just wished he—"

"Puppy, you know you're just too much for these people. To be loved and understood are things you don't have to worry so much about with those fools."

Alex held the surprised boy by the hips, his face only an inch away from Loukas' face.

"B-But, Hide is so nice. It's been years since anyone has ever asked—talked to me, wanted to listen, or played a game with me."

"But for how long? We both know how these men are. Don't let them take over your thoughts so much."

The blond pulled the boy into a quick kiss. Loukas froze as he gazed down at his shoes from the man's sudden affection.

"Xander . . ."

"Men like that have their sights on two things—your sweet face and money. Nothing more, nothing less. You've seen what happens when they get to know you." The man placed a finger upon the boy's lips. "When you want to release some more primal urges, I'll be in my quarters, my most precious dog. I know how pent-up you get when I'm away."

Loukas flushed as he stiffly nodded his head.

The blond smiled and said, "I feel you may have some things to take care of inside. So you run along while I take a stroll. You don't want your eyes to keep hurting, you know?"

Revulsion bloomed in my belly as I heard the man talk; how he spoke to Loukas was not right. It was sticky and slimy, worse than a damp, mildew-covered coat.

Loukas rubbed his hands together nervously and stammered, "Yes, um . . . I'll cook something tonight. Yeah."

Alexander stood by as his "pet" stumbled back indoors, seemingly in a daze. The silence that followed was unignorable. Rustling grass in the wind was the only scrap of noise in this dead, muddy yard.

I was about to sneak back to the manor before Alex's green gaze turned to the bush I hid in. He said in that haughty voice, "I know you're hiding. Enjoyed the little show I gave?"

I knew very well the charade was over, so I stepped out and snapped, "Yes, I get off on watching older men manipulate a young lad. How long did you know I was there?"

"Hm, I'll say from the very beginning. You are not a subtle man, are you?"

As I picked a branch from the bush, I monitored him cautiously. I gave it a twirl in my hand and said, "Subtlety is for idiots. I like to face things like a man."

He approached me as I waved the stick around, his voice never dropping its too-sweet tone. "I doubt you're just here to chat."

"Well, yes. First question, what happened to the previous butler who was here?"

Alex raised a brow and stroked his chin. "Hm, you don't know?"

"Of course, I don't. That's why I'm asking."

Alex smiled and said, "Well, Puppy has . . . interests in specific types of men, and I help him find them. Encourage him to pursue them, you could say. Before, it was just other servants, but they hurt him, and he has too much of a gentle heart."

"So, it is that . . ."

Loukas always gave off a lonely aura. Alexander gave me a nod, seemingly agreeing with the conclusion I had pieced together.

"It would be better if it was like that. If he hires whores to relieve him of his urges with little care, it would be so simple, but no. Puppy is sentimental and wants something more. Those men tend not to care for it, and someone with his status shouldn't have to ask twice. So, they are forced to be let go."

My heart dropped. That letter from Makhi may have been his very last letter.

"Now, you're getting it. Am I correct? We both know how older men are, right?"

"You allow them to take advantage of him," I remarked.

"Yes, a learning experience."

My hand clutched tightly at the words I heard.

"You're disgusting!"

Murder . . .

Alexander leaned forward to reach my eye level with that awful smile. I returned that look of delight, only for him to pick me up by the front of my shirt and throw me down to the muddy ground. His expression deadened to unyielding annoyance.

"Little lamb, I tire of him speaking about you. Every day and every night, in those letters, whilst I was away."

I froze in my spot and lay in the grass and mud. The man straddled my body, so I could not so much as squirm under his weight.

"Well, I guess I'm such a charmer," I spat back.

"Unruly. You know, I enjoy taming such a wild spirit. Maybe I will tie those active limbs up and slowly cut them to pieces with the gardening shears."

I struggled under him, pushing my arms against his chest to shove him off, only for those arms to be held down.

"Be careful. You only have so much time here before you hurt him. Wonder what will happen then? Poor th—"

He paused as my skin flushed with heat from the overbearing weight on me.

"Fuck," I murmured as the man was prodded by the effects of his words.

His eyes pierced me curiously and the hand gripping my neck did not move from its position nor tighten. We stayed as we were for what felt like hours before he got up and said, "Interesting . . . Well, that will be all. I hope you got the message. Have a good day, Hildemire."

Of course, that bastard read my file. I gritted my teeth and grumbled, "I hope you have a shite one."

In my quarters, I could not take the frustration anymore. The thought of what happened to my dear friend, those threats that seemed so real, the sharp look of the shears, and how much it would hurt, splitting my flesh open.

Would he have used rope to restrain me or ripped my shirt into shreds? My screams would anger that rubbish man even more, so he'd shut me right up, maybe with a wad of my blood-soaked trousers.

THE FOLLOWING CONTENT HAD BEEN CUT. TO READ THE FULL VERSION PLEASE PURCHASE THE FULLY ILLUSTRATED NOVELLA USING THE LINKS BELOW

With a grunt, I got off my bed and washed my soiled hand with a washrag, leaving not a trace. I looked through the window to observe the seemingly unending vastness of grass and foliage before me. It was so quiet here that if something were to happen, no one would ever know.

Purchase the entire novella full of uncut version using the links below.

ON AMAZON:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C74MBDGG

0