Chapter 8: Mother
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
After shower, Nolan was sitting in the main room, thinking about the Sovereigns. But his thoughts were abruptly interrupted by the creaking of the door as his mother, Elise Seasword, entered the room, clad in the new clothes he had bought for her.

Elise Seasword, right now, of 37 years. Yes, he do not take his father's name. Standing at a height of 5'6", she bore little resemblance to Nolan when it came to their hair. Her long, flowing locks were a rich shade of red, akin to the vibrant autumn leaves in the Fall. Her eyes, a warm brown, carried a depth of experience, and her slender nose added to her elegant profile.

However, due to her ailing health, Elise's once-strong physique had withered away to a mere shadow of its former self. Her body was now gaunt, with the beginnings of bones becoming visible on her arms and legs. The medicine Nolan had obtained from Regina was the lifeline keeping her somewhat stable.

Yet, despite her frailty, she possessed an allure that had turned the heads and stirred the desires of many a man who had the pleasure of crossing her path. Her ample bosom had always been a sight to behold, even for Nolan in his younger years, when his hormones were in full swing. Though not overly endowed, she had proven an elusive target for many a suitor, save for one individual—Nolan's father.

Growing up with mother had been no cakewalk. She had been a stern taskmaster, but that was precisely what one would expect from a former pirate. She might not have been a notorious or wildly successful pirate, but she had reveled in the thrill of the open sea more than any promise of illusory riches.

Their relationship had been marked by countless disputes over trivial matters. Elise did not shower Nolan with the affection that many traditional mothers might. From his birth, she had been his martial arts instructor, teaching him the art of combat. When times were lean, she had imparted the skills of pickpocketing to ensure their survival.

Lavish meals were not on the menu; their sustenance came from practical fare that could guarantee survival. Nolan had loathed these lessons as a child, but he now recognized their profound importance. Without them, he could never have ascended to the rank of a renowned Captain as easily as he did. Of course, his unique water-based powers had played a significant role in his success as well.

Nolan glanced at his mother's new clothes, his eyes taking in the unfamiliar attire. "Those new clothes look great on you, Mother. The colors really complement your hair, and it's a refreshing change from your usual attire."

Elise Seasword glanced at her son, her brown eyes narrowing in suspicion as she looked down. "Nolan,"she began, her voice tinged with an edge of anger, "why did you get these clothes?"

Nolan noticed the odd phrasing of her questions. It was not unfamiliar, she didn't ask where the money come from, as any money that he earn will come from some nefarious means but she was more focused on the wasting of money. Nolan hesitated for a moment, feeling a pang of guilt for lying in his first talk with his mother for years and for not telling her about his true encounter with Regina.

"I got hired. By Regina." Nolan said as he pressed a token he have taken out from his pocket. It was his cover story for the time being so people didn't notice anything suspicious about him, or his working with Regina.

He was not a fool to think that there were not some hidden dragons looking for anamolies. And already coming back, he have at least altered the Fate. The strongest clan, The Oracles should already be on the lookout for the changes in Fate's tapestry.

Elise's suspicion wavered, replaced by a mixture of surprise and curiosity. "Regina? That's unexpected. Why would she hire you now? I know you only work as her hired messenger."

"It's just some odd little jobs here and there, you don't have to worry about it. It's risky, and it's not like I will get a clean job in this island."

Elise's eyes flashed with emotions but it was gone in well below a second. If Nolan have not experianced 40 years dealing with people. He wouldn't have noticed, but he easily reognised the worry behind her eyes. He was a little shocked as he did not remember her being showing any weak emotions in his past life, except due to her disease.

Nolan softened his voice and reached out to gently touch her hand. "Don't dwell on what you can't change, Mother. We're in this together, and we'll make the best of it. Besides, I think you look stunning in those clothes."

His mother's anger flared, and she walk to stand infront of him. "Nolan, you know we can't afford such luxuries! We're barely scraping by as it is, and you go spending your hard-earned coins on my clothes?"

"You don't have to worry about that anymore for at least" Nolan repeated. "It's obvious this way for our life isn't working. And I can I see you're scared. You don't have to be, but from now on there's gonna be some changes around here."

His mother continued to look at him with expression of anger, but he observed the flash of surprise when he called her scared. Now, his mother was not known to be a weak woman. The life of a pirate has an interesting way of cutting and scrubbing the disease of fear from the mind and body.

She was no different, but it was different for his mother now. She was weak, ill, and pale. These conditions have their ways of worming fear back into the spirit.

Don't make the mistake that he do not respect his mother. A true man respects his roots as much as his own life. That is why he would take charge of this family, and that is why his mother will have to accept the new way of living. He knew what was best for them now more than his mother.
0