Chapter 50: The Heart’s New Beat
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I heard the loud clang of metal as the guards locked the cell door. I was then wheeled by Rick to my destination the torture room. The knife that Ha-Eun had stabbed me with was still in my shoulder, creating a bloody mess each time the wheelchair rocked. The pain was unbearable, but I didn’t let it show. I used the chi energy and Eve’s nanomachines to calm myself and numb the sensation. I kept a blank expression on my face, pretending to be emotionless and indifferent. I didn’t want them to see me break my façade in any way possible.

Yet, what truly astonished me was Ha-Eun. The usually timid and composed Ha-Eun revealed a side I never anticipated. Her remarkable ability to think on her feet and act decisively, demonstrated by her swift and unwavering knife thrust, both impressed and terrified me. Even though I don’t either blame her or resent her since I was the one who instructed the twins to do it if the necessity arose, it still forced me to reevaluate my perception of humanity.

It was at that time that my mother's words echoed in my mind: "People show you what they want to show you, and what you see are just masks. It's only when the performance is over and the mask is taken off that you get to see the true face of the actor."

Thoughts of my family always stirred a deep ache within me, and I often felt the urge to unleash my fury, seeking vengeance and searching for my mother and sister. However, I restrained myself, knowing that impulsive actions without careful planning would jeopardize everything.

Life is far from easy, especially in these times of relentless monster invasions and human malevolence. With these thoughts swirling in my mind, we arrived at the torture room, and I was callously thrown to the ground. The knife was extracted from my shoulder, only to be thrust back in by none other than Rick.

Despite the agonizing pain and my overwhelming desire to tear Rick apart, I maintained my composure, careful not to reveal any reaction on my face. Rick stared at me with wild eyes and a twisted smile, taunting me with his words: "I wish you were conscious so that I could hear your screams and threats. I wish you were conscious to witness how the twins discarded you like a ragdoll, stabbing you in the shoulder. I wish you were conscious to see the expression on your face when you realize that all your sacrifices and efforts were in vain. Oh, how I wish I could witness it! The look on your face when you see your dear twins being ravaged by me..."

With each word he uttered, my rage simmered and boiled within me. I yearned to rip out his vile tongue just to silence him. However, something else stirred inside me, my chi. It surged violently, threatening to consume both Rick and me. It responded to my anger and frustration, pulsating with energy at such a rapid pace that I felt as though I would burst.

I needed to regain control, and quickly. If I didn't, the consequences would be catastrophic. But how could I achieve that? In a state of panic and with my thoughts in disarray, I desperately searched for a solution, but to no avail. Just as I was about to surrender to the harsh reality, I heard the voice of my savior, Eve. She was my friend, assistant, and partner, always ready with a mind-blowing answer.

"Young master, instead of fighting and suppressing the chi, why not set it free? Instead of wondering where it should go, why not guide it through your heart and veins? By doing so, young master, you would achieve two goals simultaneously. First, you would disperse the excess energy, ensuring that you won't be caught. Second, it would aid in performing the vessel chi infusion, bringing you closer to mastering chi and opening phase two," Eve suggested.

Her idea resonated with me. If I directed the chi to my heart and allowed my heart to guide its flow, my emotions would further fuel its circulation through my veins. And if the chi coursed through my veins correctly, by the end of this torture session, I would have completed the vessel chi infusion. Professor Eve's brilliance astounded me.

Filled with gratitude and enthusiasm, I replied: "You are brilliant, just brilliant, Eve. From now on, I shall address you as Professor Eve, my incredible partner."

Eve, after a small delay, responded: "There is no need for that, young master. I am here to serve, always."

Delighted by Eve's reaction, I felt the urge to tease her further.

However, my attention was abruptly snapped back to reality as Rick thrust the knife into my thigh, relishing in sadistic laughter. Rick had a knack for provoking my anger, but this time, the pain and anger served a purpose.

Rick and Carlo continued to torture me mercilessly, inflicting wounds all over my body. But their cruelty only made me stronger. Every time I felt pain or anger, I felt a surge of fire inside me. It was the chi, the life force that flowed through my veins. At first, the chi was too intense for me to handle. It felt like it was going to rip me apart from the inside. I coughed up blood and felt dizzy. But gradually, I adapted to it. I felt the chi clear the blockages in my vessels, making them wider and smoother. I felt a wave of power and confidence wash over me. I was no longer afraid of imploding from the inside I was just enjoying the process.

The more the chi flowed, the more powerful I felt. After enduring hours of torture and infuriating jabs, I sensed something burst and click within me. The stream of chi subsided, and I felt my heart expand and the conduction of chi becoming smoother. My heart felt lighter and fulfilled.

Yet, Questions flooded my mind: Was this normal? Was my heart pumping chi a sign of a successful vessel infusion? Had I truly succeeded?

1