Act 2 Ch 12 Bend the Knee Part 2
2.4k 19 105
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[The Next Day]

 

It was midday and Robb and his northern lords were waiting for Joffrey’s men to arrive. Robb had spent the entire night convincing the rest of the northern lords to lay down their arms and sue for peace with the southern king. He knew that it was for the sake of not only their soldiers' lives but for the sake of all the citizens from the Trident all the way to Winterfell.

 

Many of the other lords didn’t see it the same way as Robb. Smalljon Umber bellowed for hours how they were dishonoring his father's sacrifice by showing their bellies to a bunch of southern cunts. Lord Glover and Hornwood also had reservations about surrender after all they had gone through just to reach this point. Only lord Bolton seemed to understand Robb’s feelings and helped convince them that the least worst option was surrender. Reminding them it wasn’t just Joffrey and his dark demons they had to worry about, but the old lion and his thirty five thousand men, not to mention Stannis and his brother Renly.

 

It took many hours and many jugs of wine but finally the Northern lords saw reason and decided to put their trust in their liege lord’s decision, as they had done since they marched from Winterfell. As the northern lords awaited the king's men to arrive they prepared their steed and were soon joined by Jaime Lannister. He wore fresh clothes he had been bathed and fed a warm meal under Robb’s orders. He was now clean shaven and was already a healthier complexion compared to when they arrived. As he prepared his horse Smalljon Umber spoke up.

 

“I guess this is the last we’ll see of ya a kingslayer?” Smalljon asked rhetorically.

 

“I can’t say I’ll be missing your company little Jon.” Jaime replied with a snarky attitude.

 

“Yeah, it would seem the little blonde cunt managed to bargain for your pretty head.” He spat.

 

Jaime stopped preparing his horse and turned and faced the giant of a man.

 

“Would this be the same cunt who cut down your father the other day?”

 

“Why you!-” Smalljon marched toward Jaime ready to cut him down, but before he could Roose Bolton intercepted him.

 

“Get out of the way pig shit Bolton let me cut this peacock down!” He bellowed.

 

Roose Bolton stood between Smalljon and Jaime preventing him from reaching him.

 

“Lord Umber enough. We’re exchanging him for the Starks today, the time to have killed him has passed.” Roose responded calmly.

 

“Fuck the agreement!” He yelled. “I will not stand here and swallow insults from a man who only two days ago was drenched in his own shit!”

 

Seeing the conflict was beginning to escalate, Robb stepped forward to calm both parties.

 

 “Lord Umber, that's enough.” He said sternly, getting the attention of the giant. “Your father fought valiantly, do not dishonor his memory any further with your outbursts. “

 

“Yes my lord.” He said bitterly slowly letting go of the hilt of his sword.

 

“And kingslayer stop antagonizing him with your annoying quips.” 

 

Jaime just huffed and turned his face away annoyed by the kingslayer comments.

 

Just as the group had finished preparing their steeds, they heard the gates of the city open and two of the royal guards came riding out. They rode with steady strides toward the group of lords stopping a few yards from them. They wore the signature black armor of the royal guards and flew the white flag of parley with them.

 

“Good afternoon my lords I trust you are ready to enter?” The one to the right asked.

 

“What about our soldiers? What becomes of them?” Lord Hornwood asked.

 

“When the celebration begins to get underway, servants from the city will set up tents, and prepare food and mead for them.” The guard spoke.

 

“How do we know this isn’t a trap, that y'all won’t just toss into a cell once we’re in your shit pile of a city?” Lord Umber asked.

 

“Because our king is an honorable man and keeps his word unlike some northerners we know.” The guard to the left spoke. 

 

Smalljon Umber’s veins bulged with anger at the continued insults he was being forced to swallow. Robb came up to his left and patted his shoulder calming him down.

 

“Please lead us into your city.” He said calmly to the royal guard.

 

“Follow us.” The one to the right said as he steered his horse around.

 

The group of lords mounted their horses and then the six riders followed behind the royal guard and rode toward the city. As they entered through the giant stone gate they were greeted by an unexpected sight. As they entered the city, on both sides of the street the city’s citizens had gathered and were cheering for them. They threw out flower petals for the men, treating them as returning heroes rather than defeated traitors.

 

Joffrey had instructed his city’s citizens to treat the defeated northern lords with respect and spoke out about their bravery and valor. The citizens had heeded their king’s words who had given them so much and decided to throw flowers rather than rotten food. On both sides of the road stood the royal guards not an ounce of emotion was displayed on their face as they held their lances and shields and stood at attention. They keep the citizens back or from scaring the lord’s horses. 

 

The northern lords and Jaime were stunned by the reception. Not only for the warm welcome but from the commoners' appearances. They were all healthy and vibrant. Each wearing clean new clothes from a region that none of them could discern. The Northern lords continued to look around at the clean city, Lord Umber taking back his comment he had made early. As the lords followed down the street that led to the Red Keep, the cheers and hollers only grew louder. 

 

As the group of Northern lords made their way into the Red Keep they found the great hall filled with the king's court who continued to cheer and wave. Once they made it to the middle of the hall the lords and Jaime dismounted their horses, and slowly walked toward the Iron throne. 

 

As the group approached the throne the royal steward began speaking.

 

“All hail his grace, Joffrey of houses Baratheon and Lannister. The first of his name, king of the Andals and first men. The young lion, maker of wonders, lord of the seven kingdoms, and protector of the realm.”

 

Joffrey internal cringed at the royal hype man's words as he read off all of his titles. Personally he found it very pretentious and unnecessary, but it was tradition for kings and he had to keep up appearances for his court.

 

As the group of lords and kingslayer came closer to the Iron throne, they were greeted by the sight of five remaining kingsguard each in their pearl white armor and cloak. Joffrey sat comfortable on his throne now wearing a seventeenth century style black doublet with gold lining and matching breeches. On his forearms he wore his signature gilded steel bracers. 

 

To his right on her own chair sat Sansa; she wore a dark purple seventeenth century Victorian style day dress, with wolf sigils embroidered into the cloth. She wore her hair in a single long braid that reached past her shoulders. Around her neck she wore the silver and sapphire necklace that her beloved had bestowed upon her. Upon seeing her older brother for the first time in a year, Sansa’s expression blossomed into one of happiness and joy.

 

Further to her right stood both Eddard and Arya both clean and content. Arya looked annoyed at the whole situation, while Eddard looked at his son with a proud fatherly smile. Understanding that he had to swallow his pride and make a difficult decision for the good of not just the north but all the seven kingdoms. 

 

The rest of the small council stood to the left of the king which included Lark, Ros, Tyrion, Pycelle, Varys, and even Tobho who held two objects wrapped in a white sheet. Around them stood the Royal guard along with Sandor in his signature Clegane armor. As the lords continued to slowly approach the five kingsguard drew their swords as a precaution. Once they reached the front of the stone steps each of the lords slowly kneeled before the iron throne, just as Robb had done for Joffrey the day before.

 

Joffrey raised his hand commanding the cheering court to be silent. 

 

“I will now hear oaths of fealty from my loyal subjects.” He spoke sternly in a tone that made it clear it wasn’t a request.

 

The northern lords grumbled but ultimately got into line. Roose Bolton chose to go first. He raised his head to look upon the young king before speaking.

 

“I, Roose Bolton Lord of the Dreadfort and head of House Bolton, promise to be faithful to Houses Baratheon and Lannister. To king Joffrey the first of his name, king of the andals and first men, Lord of the seven kingdoms and protector of the realm. I pledge fealty to them and promise to protect them in good faith and without deceit.”

 

After finishing his vow Joffrey recognized his oath before turning his attention to the other lords. Lord Hornwood then raised his head and began to swear his oath. Once Lord Hornwood finished his oath, Smalljon Umber suddenly stood up. He marched past the still kneeling Robb and made his way toward the throne as shocked court members looked on. Once he stood before the kingsguard who stopped his approach with the tips of their swords. The giant of a man spat at the base of the throne’s steps.

 

The kingsguard and royal guard all readied their weapons ready to kill the giant where he stood. Before they could, Joffrey stopped them.

 

“Hold!” He shouted.

 

The men stopped dead in their tracks but kept their weapons at the ready. 

 

“State your name my lord.” Joffrey said with a dead serious tone, his face stoic not showing any emotions.

 

“I am Small Jon Umber, son of the great Jon Umber. Lord of the last Hearth. New head of house Umber.” He bellowed his voice echoing in the giant hall.

 

“I see.” He said Joffrey brought his hand to his chin as if trying to recall something. “I take it you are refusing to bend the knee to me?” He asked rhetorically.

 

“Obviously” He replied with a snarky attitude.

 

“I refuse to recognize the authority of a blonde haired little cunt so green he shits grass.” He ranted finally letting loose all the grievances that had been building up inside him since the day before.

 

The royal guard and kingsguard were all ready to cut the arrogant oaf down. The only thing keeping them from doing so was their king’s order. Joffrey’s face remained still as his small council and court grew more and more restless. Even the other kneeling lords were shocked and embarrassed by their fellow lord’s behavior. Robb Stark looked the most agitated.

 

“I see, but do you not respect your liege lord’s decision?”

 

“Him? Ha!” He spat, turning around to look down at the kneeling Robb Stark who in turn looked at the giant. 

 

“He ceased being my king or my lord when he chose to become a coward and surrender the north to a blonde haired twat like you. I will never recognize your rule over me and mine!” He yelled as he turned to look up at the calm king. “Or your treacherous whore!”

 

The whole court gasped at the red haired giant's proclamation. Anger grew on all the small council faces and north lords alike. Even Ned looked ready to trade blows with the great oaf for his insult but was held back by royal guards. For the first time since the defeated lords entered the great hall, Joffrey’s face finally showed anger.

 

He slowly rose from his seat and made his way down the stone steps.  Small Jon backed up slightly with a surprised expression as the king slowly approached him. He gestured for the kingsguard to step aside and walked right up to the red haired giant. As he stood before the man Joffrey slowly spoke.

 

“I didn’t quite catch what you just said, would you mind repeating it?” He asked, his voice low and his face still.

 

Jon after hearing the king's request leaned forward until his face was just a few inches from Joffrey’s before he spoke with a smug tone.

 

“I said I will never recognize your rule or your treacherous whore.”

 

Then faster than anybody could react Joffrey slashed the lord’s throat with the 12in hidden triangle shaped blade that extended from his golden bracer. His eyes widened in shock as a deep cut opened up on his throat, blood suddenly spurting out, splashing on Joffrey’s face. Jon brought both hands to his neck in a feeble attempt to stop the bleeding. He gurgled and tried to talk but the words were inaudible. The court gasped at the sudden violent act, many stepping backward.

 

Joffrey just looked down at the giant as he fell to his knees. His expression stoic, but his eyes filled with cold fury.

 

“No one insults my lady and lives.” He said coldly to the giant as he slumped over the light slowly fading from his eyes. He then looked up addressing not just the rest of the northern lords, but the whole royal court.

 

“No one.” He repeated before turning back around and walking toward his seat.

 

As he made his way past the stunned kingsguard, he took out a cloth whipping the blood from his face and cleaning his hidden blade, retracting the blade back into his bracer. Once he reached the top of the stairs he handed the bloody cloth off to a servant and made his way to his seat. Where he found a blushing Sansa who was cooing like a schoolgirl after Joffrey had defended her honor. He turned and saw both Eddard and even Arya giving him a look of respect.

 

After sitting back down on his throne he addressed the still stunned court.

 

“Continue” He said with a frosty tone to the remaining four lords, as a pool of blood formed around the dead man's body.

 

105