Act 2 Ch 8 Peace Talks
3.5k 11 133
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Now then king Robb would you like a drink?” He asked with a smile.

 

“Huh?” Robb responded stunned.

 

“I’m having a drink.” 

 

He then made his way over to the right table grabbing two chalices and a pitcher of wine. He then made his way to the giant table and stood across from the north king. He put one chalice down in front of him and slid another across to Robb. He filled both cups before setting the pitcher down and taking a seat. As he slowly tasted the dornish red he had prepared, Robb still stood there stunned by his actions.

 

“What's wrong, not thirsty?” He asked looking up at the bewildered northerner. 

 

Robb soon shook himself out of his daze and responded to the sitting king.

 

“I didn’t come all the way here to drink with you king Joffrey.” He responded with a serious tone.

 

“No, no you came here to discuss your father and sisters release, correct?”

 

“Yes,” He said, getting annoyed at Joffrey’s nonchalant attitude.

 

“We will, but first we have some misunderstanding to clear up before that.” He said before gesturing with his hand for Robb to sit down.

 

Robb proceeded to do so and slowly sat down at the table across from him. After he sat down, Joffrey sat up right and proceeded to take his golden crown off. He set it down at the table making a loud heavy clang when he did. Robb looked surprised at the weight the gold circlet had. 

 

“Heavier than it looks isn’t it?” He said rhetorically. “Sometimes you just want the thing off, but you know all about that don’t you.”

 

Robb then reached up and touched his crown he was still wearing. It was a bronze circlet, surmounted by nine black iron spikes in the shape of long swords. It was inspired by the crowns worn by kings of the north in the past before the days of Aegon the conqueror. It was forged by a smith at Riverrun by one of House Tully's smiths after he was declared king of the north and the trident. It was uncomfortable to wear, which was done purposefully since Robb thought that kingship should be a burden.  Robb then proceeded to remove the crown and place it on the table as Joffrey had done.

 

“There, see, that wasn’t so hard.” Joffrey said with a smile. “Now the two of us can speak plainly as men.”

 

Robb nodded his head in slight agreement, taking a sip from his cup.

 

“Now before we get started let's clear the air a little bit shall we.” Joffrey said as he sat up in his chair straight looking at him more seriously.

 

Robb put his cup down and stared at Joffrey.

 

“When I came here you said you brought these men to seek justice for the crimes my family committed against yours. What crimes are you referring to exactly?”

 

“Your family tried to have my brother slaughtered in his bed. Your mother had the hand of the king Jon Arryn killed. You slaughtered my father’s men and threw him in a dungeon to rot. All because he learned the truth of your parentage.” He said his voice filled with venom.

 

“Oh? And what truth is that?” He asked, unfazed by his anger.

 

“That you are neither a true king nor a true Baratheon.” He said as he stared intensely into Joffrey's eyes. “You are Jaime Lannister’s bastard son.”

 

“That's disgusting.” Joffrey responded.

 

“Yes, and it's also the truth.”

 

“Where exactly did you hear this truth?” He asked, unbothered by Robb’s accusations.

 

“Stannis sent ravens to all the high lords in Westeros.”

 

“Oh did he? Then that would make him the rightful king wouldn’t it. How convenient.”

 

“My father learned the truth, that's why you had him imprisoned.”

 

Joffrey sat quietly listening to Robb’s rant.

 

“So to my understanding you think of me and my family as nothing more than dishonorable monsters?”

 

“Yes I do.”

 

Joffrey sat for a moment in silence before chuckling to himself hearing the Northerners words.

 

“What's so funny?” He asked, confused.

 

“Nothing, it's just you’re your father’s son.” He said, wiping a tear from his eye. “Father and son, filled with so much self-righteousness and hypocrisy.”

 

“What-” He started to say before Joffrey interrupted him.

 

“I mean do you think you're so much different from me or my family?” He asked.

 

“I’m nothing like you!” He shouted standing up from his chair.

 

“Oh really? I heard how you defeated my “uncle” Jaime’s army. A force of thirty thousand men wiped out by your measly eighteen thousand. Tell me King Robb how did you manage such a great victory?”

 

Robb grew quiet upon hearing his inquiry, knowing exactly where the conversation was heading. Joffrey, seeing Robb unwilling to respond continued.

 

“Because from what I heard you sent two thousand of your own men to their deaths to distract my grandfather.” 

 

“That was completely different!” He shouted back.

 

“You’re right it's worse!” Joffrey shouted, raising his voice for the first time.

 

Robb was stunned silent.

 

“Those men that ate with you, fought with you, believed in you and how did you repay them? By sending them to their graves. Men who put their faith in you to return them to their families were sacrificed without a second's hesitation. So please stand there, look me in the eye and tell me again how you’re so much better than me.”

 

Robb stood there, his legs feeling weak hearing Joffrey’s words.

 

“I did what I had to for the good of the north.” He spoke, his voice quivering a little.

 

“I’m sure that’ll be comforting to the widows and orphans you’ve made when you explain it to them.” He said coldly. “Face it you ruthlessly took advantage of those around you to accomplish your goals, we’re more alike than you care to admit.”

 

Robb slumped back into his seat, clearly struck by Joffrey’s words. Mostly because he couldn’t refute them. He had made a ruthless move sacrificing those men to even the playing field with Tywin’s forces. It was practical and necessary but that didn’t make the burden any lighter on his conscience.

 

“You’re right.” He said in a solemn voice as he looked down. 

 

“Hey now don’t make that face.” He said as he reached over to refill Robb’s cup. “You didn’t make those decisions out of malevolence or greed, you did it because you know one basic truth of the world, that every good leader must.”

 

Robb took his cup and looked up at him.

 

“What?” He asked.

 

“That the few sometimes have to be sacrificed for the good of the many.” He told him flatly. “You and I are the same Robb Stark. We’re just ordinary men who were thrust into positions and given responsibilities we didn’t ask for or want. We perform our duties to the best of our abilities, to protect those we care about from harm. Even if we are hated for it, or how much it disgusts us, we do it because it is our duty to do so. That is the true price for kingship as you well know.”

 

The king in the north was moved by the southern king's words and started to see him in a new light. Not the spoiled self-centered little shit that came to Winterfell over a year ago, but a man dedicated to the welfare of his people just like him. It would seem he had changed just as much on the inside as he did on the outside.

 

“Also you’re wrong about the crimes committed against your family. My family had nothing to do with the attempts on your brother’s life. I’m afraid both of our houses have been played for fools king Stark.” He said with a dead serious tone.

 

He then began to explain the turn of events he was unaware of. Of how Littlefinger’s schemes to put himself on the Iron throne. Including putting their two houses against one another and how they had been played for fools.

 

Robb looked taken aback after hearing Joffrey's words. looking at him distrustfully not wanting to believe what he was hearing no matter how sound it was.

 

“Then why did my father write to Stannis naming you a bastard?” He asked suspiciously. 

 

“Ah that.” He said. “That was another of his plots I’m afraid. Since your father arrived in Kings landing littlefinger had been his confidant. Whispering in his ear and helping him with his plan. He ultimately tricked your father in the hopes that he would take the throne for himself. With your father being the honorable man he is, refused, he betrayed him to help me imprisoned him.”

 

Robb seemed to ponder this for a moment before speaking.

 

“You really expect me to believe all this?” He asked. “That all of this was just some snake’s power play. That my father was used like a tool to do another’s bidding?”

 

“You can ask him yourself when you meet if you want.” He responded by taking another sip from his wine.

 

Robb perked up hearing his words.

 

“You’d be willing to bring him here?”

 

“Of course, but you have to bring my “uncle” Jaime here as well. Also I want your word you won’t try to seize him before our peace talks are finished. I swear to do the same for Jaime.”

 

Robb Stark agreed and swore before the old gods and new, that he wouldn't try to simply take his father once he was brought to the tent. He couldn’t really risk it anyway since he would still have both his sisters behind the walls.  After both kings gave their word they sent word to their men to have the prisoners brought to the tent. After a long period both prisoners of war were brought to the Parley tent from both armies. 

 

Ned Stark was led into the tent wearing irons as a precaution. He was clean and wearing some plain clean clothes from Joffrey’s textile department. His leg had completely healed and the wound on his forehead had grown into a scar. He appeared quite healthy and more like a guest than a prisoner of war. Robb was quite surprised by his fathers healthy complexion. He expected him to be gaunt and malnourished from his poor treatment at the hands of the boy king.

 

Then Jaime was led inside; he was malnourished and feeble. He was covered in mud and his own shit and Joffrey could tell with one look he hadn’t had a bath in over a year. He looked at Joffrey with the same surprise as the north lords did when he first arrived in the tents. Joffrey grew very angry upon seeing his “uncle’s” condition.

 

“What is the meaning of this king Stark?” He asked, his voice oozing with anger. “Why is my uncle in such a condition?” I can tell he hasn’t seen a bath or a warm meal in a long while, so please explain to me why that is?” 

 

“We kept him with us in our war camp to keep him out of your grandfather's hand. We don’t exactly have hot baths on stand by.” He tried to explain away.

 

“Yet I see you are fresh and clean as a daisy.” He pointed out. “I treated your father with respect and courtesy when he was my captive. I had my personal Maester treat his wounds, and made sure he had proper meals and personal hygiene. I can see you didn’t afford the same courtesy to my family."

 

The young wolf started to feel guilty with the clear unfair treatment due to his prejudices, especially with his father looking at him disappointed. He soon whistled for one of his men to enter the tent. One of the north lords came and Robb ordered him to have Jaime bathed and fed a hot meal. Jaime was then led away from the tent while a concerned Joffrey looked on. Robb turned and began talking with his father who explained everything that had happened and how he had been tricked by Littlefinger.

 

At least that's what Joffrey told him to say. He knew Robb wouldn’t believe the truth about the others so he asked Ned to lie, and tell him it was all Littlefinger's treachery. Ned followed his plan after he convinced him of the danger they all faced which lies north of the wall. After long talks that led deep into the night the two kings decided to stop for the evening, and resumed peace talks the next day. Joffrey and his kingsguard with Ned Stark still as their prisoners returned to the city. His royal guards returned inside the city for the night, with the few who remained on watch in case the northerners attempted anything.

 

Robb then rode back to his encampment and was greeted by his war council.

 

"How the talks with the blonde shit go, your grace?" Asked Great Jon as the others gathered around.

 

"Its seems to be productive and we seemed to have had some misunderstandings before coming here." Robb responded as the confused northerners look at him.

 

"We should just attack tomorrow." Lord Karstark said eager for Lannister blood. "Once Joffrey is in our custody we can force them to hand over Lord Ned and your sisters."

 

"I agree lets kill these little peacocks." Great Jon added excited at the prospects of battle.

 

"Are you two insane?" Lord Bolton asked looking at the two lords as fools. "We might as well give them the dagger to slight our kings father and sister's throats ourselves."

 

"If your too much of a coward for battle lord Bolton perhaps you should ride back north." Great Jon said stepping into Lord Bolton's personal space.

 

"I'll be more than willing top show you battle great Jon." Roose Bolton responded angrily holding the hilt of his sword.

 

Before the situation could escalate any further Robb interjected.

 

"We aren't here to fight among ourselves." He said sternly making the two older men stop. "Nor are we here to fight unnecessary battles." He said looking at Lord Karstark.  "I believe we can solve this matter with diplomacy rather than with swords. So until I say otherwise there will be no fighting am I clear?"

 

"I understand, your grace but still I think we should-" Lord Karstark tried to insist but Robb interrupted him.

 

"I said are we clear?" He said staring down the old man.

 

"Yes, your grace." He finally conceded along with the others.

 

Seeing his bitter expression Robb put his hand on the old man's shoulder.

 

"I understand you seek retribution for the deaths of your two sons, lord Karstark." He said as the old man looked up at him. "I can understand how you feel, but I ask you to not let your personal feelings cloud your judgement. Think of welfare of the living rather than the dead ok?" He asked trying to be sympathetic to one of his father's banner man.

 

"Yes, your grace." He said respectfully bowing his head.

 

"Good" Robb nodded then began making his way into his camp as he explained the details with his war council.

 

As the young king walked away lord Karstark looked at his back his face twisting into one of anger and loathing. Then an idea came into his head, an idea that would shake up all of Westeros for years to come.

 

133