Interlude
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eve leaned forward in her chair and placed a gentle hand on the man's head, while telling him to lower it. The man, who was kneeling in front of her, nodded and did as told. He was her last customer of the day and she was eager to get the readings over with. She was already feeling the exhaustion from overusing her ability.

"Ready?" She asked him. Her 'readings' consisted of glimpsing into the future of those she touched by way of her ability. It was limited to day, but for some reason people always came wanting to know what their tomorrows would bring, however insignificant. She had been doing this since first discovering her ability, and with the help of her parents, she had built a small business as a sort of fortune teller. Her customers named her the Garden Seer. 

She waited for the man's approval, which he gave with a slight nod, before igniting her Aura and activate her ability. Her eyes turned white and her surroundings disappeared. She felt the familiar sensation of floating underwater for a moment before finding herself getting out of a car. She was now experiencing the near future through the man's eyes. Seeing what he sees. Hearing what he hears. Feeling what he feels. 

It had taken more than a few uses of this power for her to get used to it, but now it felt natural. She had no control of anything that happens during her glimpses, she was simply an observer.

The man lived in High Tier, apparent by the expensive looking house and Ferrari Monza. Even his suit gave off the appearance of a man with very little money problems, which made Eve wondered what could he possible gain by continuing to pay for her readings so often. Not that she complained, the money was always welcomed.

The man entered his house and placed his car keys on the counter. "Honey, I'm home." He called to his wife, looking for. "I left earlier today because I have a good feeling about today. My luck is finally-"

"Varl-! I…"

His wife was beautiful, and seemed sweet, which shocked Eve when the man founder in bed half naked with another man. "What is this?"

Suddenly the vision ended and Eve found herself back in her own house, the man kneeling in front of her. She pulled her hand from his head, feeling exhausted. 

"Well?" The man looked up, eagerly.

Eve sighed, leaning back on her chair. "You will witness a life changing event." She kept her voice low and orated, more for show than anything else. "Though you will be required to leave work early tomorrow." Keeping her answers vague was part of her performance, giving as little details as possible to avoid anyone finding out she was an User. If the Lord Ruler found out about her and her ability, she could only guess what he might do. She also didn't want to become a Royal, not after learning how hated they are amongst the people.

"For better or worse?" The man asked, referring to Eve's reading. "Please, I have to know."

"Depends on how you look at it." Eve told him. "All I can say is that you learn truth that will benefit you in knowing it. Now please, I need rest." She called for her assistant, Tally, a petite woman with a big heart, to see the man out. "Goodbye, Varl." 

"Right this way, sir." Tally gave the man a polite bow and accompanied him out of the house.

Eve sighed again, feeling the exhaustion wash over. Though it was normal for her to feel drain after overusing her ability, this level of tiredness was not normal. She shouldn't been feeling this down.

 Tally returned a few minutes later, a look of concern on her face. "Need a hand?"

Eve nodded, thankful for Tally's company. About five years ago Tally had to Eve as an orphan begging for a reading that would change her life around. What she didn't know at the time was that Eve had already seen the girls future well in advance and learned that she had been running from the Royals after being found out as an Ability-User. Eve took her in as her surrogate daughter and made her the Garden Seer's assistant as a way to earn a living. 

"Here," Tally offered her shoulder for support, which Eve accepted gratefully, thanking her in the process. "Hey, are you okay? I'm kinda worried. I've never seen you this tired before."

Eve knew Tally saw her as a mother figure, and because of that, she knew her concerns were genuine. "I'm fine." She told her, though she didn't particularly feel it. "Just a bit tired is all."

"...If you say so." Tally said, letting Eve use her shoulder for support as they made their way to the master bedroom. "Hey ummm, Eve..."

"Out with it child."

"Right. So you remember how I told you about my friend?"

Eve nodded, remembering. "The one that owns a bar. What of him?"

"He wants to bring a friend over to visit and get a reading and umm..."

Eve sighed. She knew what Tally wanted and though she was reluctant, Tally had more than earned any favor she could ask for. Doing a reading for free was the least Eve could do. "I'll do it. Just let me know beforehand."

"Great, I'll let him know right away-"

Eve didn't hear the rest. She wasn't with Tally anymore, unable to feel the woman's shoulder beneath her. 

A vision, now? Why? How? Eve had experience two unexpected activations of her ability in her past. The first was during her awakening. The second, when she met Tally. 

"I'm sorry we're close for the day." Tally said, regarding a couple, a man and woman, who had just came in for a reading. "The Seer can't perform anymore readings for today. Sorry." From what Eve could gather, the couple had been waiting for their turn for quite awhile.

"Well, can we come back another day?" The woman asked, her hair black as night. She looked much older than Tally, thought Tally was barely out of her teen years.

"I doubt she can actually see the future anyway." The man said, who also had the same color hair, to the woman. "Let's just go, we'll wait for the Guardian at the Golden Corral."

The woman ignored her companion and asked Tally if they could come back another time again, to which Tally nodded. "Yeah, sure. I'd say in two days."

The woman nodded and turned to leave, the man following behind, seeming glad about the news.

"Wait!" Tally called after them, as if suddenly remembering something. "Oh my gosh! You're them aren't you?"

The couple stopped at the door and turned back, looking confused.

Tally pointed at the woman first. "Claudia," Then at the man. "and William. Am I right?"

They shared a glace, then the man pointed at himself and his companion. "How did you know our names?"

"My master, the Garden Seer, told me about you. She knew you would come. She's been expecting you. Come, follow me. I'll show you to her."

Eve watched through Tally's eyes, as her assistant led the Claudia and William to the private readings room. "She also told me you're siblings. Is that true? You look like it."

"We... are." The man, William, said.

"We read in the poster that she can see the future." The woman, Claudia, said. "Is that true?"

"Sure is."

The arrived at the Audience Chamber, the place where Eve did her readings. A large room decorated in a variety of vibrant colors or different shades. Eve always felt uncomfortable watching herself through the eyes of others during her visions. It was unnerving. 

"Ma'am, its them. The black haired siblings." Tally said, bowing to the Eve sitting in the chair. She looked tired. Was that how she looked now? 

Before the Eve from Eve's vision could respon, the vision ended. Eve opened her eyes to see the ceiling of her bedroom.

"Welcome back." Tally said, looking glad. "What happened? What did you see?"

Eve was too tired to explain. "I'll tell you tomorrow. I need rest. Thank you, Tally."

Tally nodded and helped Eve settle into her sleeping pajamas before leaving the room, leave Eve alone with her thoughts.

Who were those siblings?

0