Chapter 1: Arcadia
184 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter One

-The Boi-

The bus ride through Arcadia’s magically sculpted streets was devoid of potholes, bumps, or any other protrusions. It made it easy to lay my head against the window as we rolled through the megacity, and the fact I had the seat to myself also helped considerably. The only real interruptions to my attempts at resting were the constant clamor of my classmates' talking and laughing, the slow, rolling stops and starts of the bus as we pushed through traffic, and the occasional tight turn.

Still, looking out the window, I was reminded of how beautiful the megacity was. The towering buildings were all sleek curves of a futuristic architecture that somehow captured grace and majesty while still being functional. Even the sunlight curved off the metal and glass buildings in gentle, shining waves instead of the harsh glare normal skyscrapers reflected. Outside of the city center, Arcadia’s districts had more natural buildings that conformed to the various cultures making up the city, but here, it was the future made reality.

 

I sighed to myself. Sometimes, it was easy to forget I was literally living in a city crafted with magitech, the fusion of magic and technology the alien Zenith had gifted to humanity’s chosen.

 

“Hey, shrimp,” a voice suddenly appeared next to me. “How come you get a seat all to yourself?”

I jolted, blushing upwards to find Katie staring down at me with one arched eyebrow, a smirk dancing on her lips. Her perfectly curled blond hair flowed down to her shoulders, and the ambient noise seemed to recede, making her the singular point of attention as my heart pounded in my chest. 

 

Even as the bus swerved and the cityscape continued its hypnotic dance, it was Katie that dominated my field of vision.


“I... I just…” I stammered, my words caught in my throat.

 

Katie's smirk deepened, a playful glint in her eyes. “Look at you, blushing like a tomato. So cute.”

 

She leaned closer, her perfume a mix of floral and a sharp tang I couldn’t place. “Well, aren't you going to offer me the seat then? It's only polite.” There was a challenge in her gaze, and the world seemed to narrow down to this singular moment. 


Katie reached over and ruffled my hair, making me wince slightly. Without waiting for a response, Katie slipped into the seat beside me, pressing me against the window. I shuffled to the edge, allowing her ample space.

 

The bus took a sharp turn, and Katie leaned into me, feigning a loss of balance as I felt a sharp blow against my ribs. "Oops," she chuckled, her voice dripping with false innocence. She rested her head on my shoulder, making it seem like a friendly gesture, but the weight felt like a leaden anchor. 

 

It was confusing. 

 

Was this friendship? Was it bullying? Was it both? Maybe that was just how friendships worked. After all, no one else had ever paid me any kind of real attention. Katie was different; she acknowledged me, even if it wasn't always in the kindest way.

 

Then, she proceeded to plant her bag into my lap. It was surprisingly heavy, filled with who knows what.

 

“Hold this for me, will you?” she said sweetly, but her eyes said something differently. 

 

“Sure, Katie,” I mumbled, adjusting the bag so it wouldn’t dig into my thighs too much. It was always like this. She asked, I complied.

 

“Thanks, Maito-kun,” she cooed, plopping down beside me, her bag immediately handed to me. It was as if this action was as natural as the sun rising every morning. I struggled with its weight, memories of other times she’d utilized my 'help' flashed in my mind. 

 

I glanced at the towering buildings outside, the play of light on them reminding me of the contrast in my life. Arcadia was a city of dreams, and yet my reality was often far from dreamy. It was paradoxical, much like my relationship with Katie. She was the closest thing I had to a friend, even if sometimes it felt more like a cruel joke.

 

It wasn’t much longer before the bus stopped inside a parking garage, and our teacher, Mr. Toujou, stood up. He was young, his dark hair pulled back into a ponytail that revealed his handsome features. His glasses and crisp, slightly messy suit gave him a scholarly look while still remaining casual. Combined with his youth and passionate rambles, I knew that at least half the girls in class had a crush on him to some degree. I remained ambivalent. While I liked his teaching style and liked how he mostly left me alone… I also hated how he seemed to turn a blind eye to the things going on around him.

 

“Alright, everyone, listen up!” he shouted above the clamor. “Remember, you’re representing Sakura High during this field trip. I expect you all to be on your best behavior! Furthermore, do not forget to meet up with everyone at the end of each hour! We’ll be going through the mall floor by floor, working our way down. Do not go ahead under any circumstances, understood?”

 

A chorus of various forms of “yes” and at least one “no” echoed out. Mr. Toujou seemed mostly pleased and started the process of excusing people starting at the front of the bus. I stood up, pulling Katie's heavy bag onto my shoulder, trying to keep my face neutral as the weight dug into me. 

 

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her talking animatedly with some of the other popular girls. She laughed, her voice a bell-like chime that seemed to captivate everyone nearby. I looked down at my half-filled backpack packed under the seat while I waited my turn in the seat furthest back. Keeping a neutral expression on my face, I bent over, nearly tripping as I bumped into a seat, and slung my backpack around my shoulders as well.

 

I wondered if she even remembered I was carrying her stuff.

 

Well, thankfully I packed light, expecting this sort of outcome.

 

Exiting the bus felt like stepping into another world. The Arcadia Mall wasn't just any shopping center; it was a coliseum of commerce, a masterpiece of magitech design, rising multiple stories and spanning several city blocks. 

 

Everyone was so excited… I honestly would have been too if I had any money to spend.

 

Mr. Toujou barely spared me a second glance as he gestured for me to get up, turning to leave himself. I followed behind him, pausing only to give a slight bow and murmured thanks to our bus driver, an older Korean man with a grandfatherly visage. He returned my thanks with a smile and nod, and I quickly hurried out into the dim light of the parking garage.

 

My classmates had already separated into their respective friend groups, chatting to each other excitedly as Mr. Toujou and the two parents who volunteered to chaperone our little excursion did a quick headcount. Considering how short I was, it was probably a good thing nobody was standing close by.

 

“Alright everyone,” Mr. Toujou said. “We’re on the third level right now. The other classes should be at the other parking garages working their way to the middle of the mall as well. Now go! Have fun, and be safe! Try to stick in groups of at least two if you can.”

 

Almost immediately, there was a flurry of movement, the students scattering in various directions. Some headed towards the elevator, others towards the stairs, and a few had already disappeared around corners and into stores. 

 

Katie and her group were already moving, but not before she cast a quick glance back in my direction. There was that smirk again, the kind that always left me wondering if I was in on the joke or the butt of it. 

 

"Hurry up. You wouldn't want to lose my stuff, would you?" Katie announced with a singsong voice.

 

I nodded hastily, clutching the straps of the bags and maneuvering my way through the clusters of people. I trailed a few yards behind her group, trying to maintain a sense of balance with the weight on my shoulders.

 

Sometimes it felt like the weight of the world itself, a tangible representation of my role in this strange, complex social dynamic. Yet, at the same time, the weight also meant I belonged. It was a perverse sense of inclusion, but it was inclusion nonetheless.

 

I caught snippets of conversation, most of it gossip about classmates, the latest trends, and what they planned to buy. I listened with half an ear, my main focus on the shining mall around us.

 

The interior was a combination of white, gunmetal gray, and onyx black materials, all smooth and exceptionally shiny. What wasn’t made of solid color was created out of rippling glass that reminded me of water. It felt more like walking into a futuristic museum than a mall. Rows of storefronts spiraled out around me offering an amalgamation of things from clothes to electronics to books. Sculptures and carefully tended plants gave life to the area, and even though I was barely into the mall, there were already dozens of people moving about or lounging on benches near greenery.

 

And the water features. There were fountains, of course, but the biggest thing was the constantly flowing water. All along the floor there were thin rivulets of water running under portions of the ground, outlining the various pathways. On storefront walls, water trickled from the ceiling along glass tubes and joined the various floor rivers. In some areas, the various rills joined together and bubbled up into small ponds uncovered and open to the air.

 

It was less of a mall and more of a sci-fi garden that happened to be built around stores. I had seen pictures of the mall before, but visiting in person was… something else entirely. Forcing myself to continue walking, I grabbed my phone from my blazer pocket, unlocked it, and took a quick look at the map I had pulled up earlier. At first glance, the various stores made an almost impossible mandala of the floorplan, but just looking at the major pathways made the area look much more manageable.

 

Still, it was a labyrinth of a design, and I was happy I researched the place ahead of time.

 

As we passed through the center of the mall, I spotted a tall, rectangular mirror surrounded by a small moat of uncovered water. It stood near the wall of a clothing store I didn’t recognize, and next to the mirror was a cardboard cutout of an adorable looking girl. 

 

She had on a frilly pink and white dress in the style of a fairy, gossamer butterfly wings extending from her back. Excessive amounts of ribbons, hearts, and lace adorned the dress, knee high boots, and pristine gloves the color of snow. The girl’s hair was a matching pink, and the pupils of her eyes were in the shape of two lines that curved to make the outline of a heart without touching in the middle.

 

I recognized the image of the girl, of course. It was Hope Fairy, the number one ranked Magical Girl in the entire world. The cutout of her had her arm extended, her signature wand with a pink flower on its tip pointed at the mirror. There were hundreds of Magical Girl posters, cutouts, and advertisements throughout the city, but I’d never seen one of the number one herself before. 

 

I squinted at the mirror, spotting words on a speech bubble poking from the cutout's head. Captivated by the image in front of me, I began to walk toward it before a voice snapped me out of my stupor.

 

"Maito! You're lagging behind! Don't make me come back there and drag you!"

 

I flushed, hurrying my pace to catch up to her group. The weight of her bag was beginning to make my shoulder ache, but I tried to keep my discomfort hidden.

 

As we approached the first store, a boutique selling various fashion accessories, Katie motioned for me to place her bag down. "Just put it there and wait for us outside," she instructed, pointing to a nearby bench.

 

Without a word, I complied, taking the brief opportunity to rest my weary shoulders and glance around, taking in the breathtaking scenery.

 

It felt like a strange limbo – not being invited inside with the group, yet still bound to them by the weight of Katie's belongings. I felt like an accessory. An added piece to their entourage, even.

 

Time passed swiftly, and before I knew it, Katie and her friends emerged from the store, bags in hand. Katie's eyes met mine, her gaze briefly assessing. "Did you miss us?" she teased.

 

I shrugged, trying to seem nonchalant. "Just enjoying the view," I said softly, standing up and reaching for her bag.

 

Katie approached with her newly acquired shopping bags, eyeing her purse that I had just picked up. "Add these to the collection," she ordered lightly, shoving the other bags in my direction.

 

I hesitated for a moment but took them anyway, layering them over her purse. 

 

The other girls giggled, whispering among themselves as they walked on ahead. Katie lingered for a moment, studying my face. "You're so resilient," she observed, with what seemed like a mix of genuine admiration and mocking jest. "It's what I like about you." With that, she gave a theatrical wink and trotted to catch up with her friends.

 

I followed suit, trailing behind, taking in the sights and sounds of the mall, as shoppers moved from one store to another, kids laughed, and the distant hum of chatter filled the air. While most stores seemed familiar, some were unlike anything I'd seen before. A bookshop where the covers of books floated in mid-air, holographically displaying their contents. Another where clothes seemingly materialized out of thin air for customers to try.

 

We soon found ourselves approaching the food court. The area was vast, with dozens of outlets showcasing cuisine from all around the world. A rich mix of aromas filled the air, tantalizing my senses. I realized how hungry I was, my stomach letting out a low growl in agreement.

 

Katie and her group headed straight for a chic-looking sushi place, its dishes moving on a conveyor belt illuminated by neon magitech lights. As they got seated, Katie motioned me to a nearby table. "Just wait here," she instructed. "We'll call you when we're done."

 

I nodded, setting her bags down and taking a seat. From where I sat, I could see a wide variety of stalls - from spicy Korean barbeques to hearty American burgers, traditional Japanese ramen to mouth-watering Italian pizzas.

 

Feeling my pocket, I fingered the few coins I had. It wasn't much, but maybe enough for a small snack. I got up, hesitated for a moment, then headed to a more affordable-looking noodle stall.

 

“Hey… Are you okay?” a sudden voice behind me asked tentatively. Fingers pinched into the sides of my stomach, and a huff of surprise escaped me as I whirled around.

 

A girl stood there, with a quizzical look on her face. She was built with lean, defined muscle that accentuated her casual beauty. She was slender and modestly curved, and she carried herself with a certain confidence. Her sunflower blond hair was tied in a ponytail, and her blue eyes glimmered in the light. She was wearing the Sakura High uniform, an onyx blazer with silver trim and a matching checked skirt with thin, silvery lines. I recognized her as Lily Parker, one of the other popular sporty girls in the school who’d come in from Australia. 

 

But I knew her for her piercing gaze that seemed to dissect anyone she looked at, whenever people weren't looking. For some reason, I was keenly aware that she'd been giving me these weird looks for weeks, and I never understood why. I found myself shrinking back almost involuntarily.

 

“Sorry, didn’t mean to startle you,” she said, her accent making the apology sound melodic. “It's just... you looked kinda pale. Hungry, maybe?”

 

I looked down, not sure how to answer. Admitting I was hungry yet I didn’t have the funds to buy a proper meal, felt embarrassing.

 

The girl sighed, seemingly studying me for a moment. "I'm Lily, by the way. Lily Parker. I’ve been watching you, and, well, I just thought you might like something to eat. Here,” she said, handing me one of the paper bags.

 

I hesitated, looking into the bag to find a neatly wrapped combo meal on top. It was a simple meal, but to me, it was a feast. "I can't accept this," I murmured, although every fiber in my rumbling stomach screamed otherwise.

I did not have the money to pay her back, and it wasn’t like there was anything else I could really do to make up for it. I briefly wondered if this was an elaborately timed prank set up by Katie to mock me further or set up some cruel joke. 

"It's just a meal, no strings attached," she said softly. "Consider it a friend helping out another."

"But we're not... friends," I replied hesitantly.

 

Lily chuckled, her eyes crinkling at the corners. "Well, maybe it's time we change that, huh?"

 

I hesitated, glancing towards Katie's table at the sushi bar. The last thing I wanted was to owe anyone, especially someone from the same social standing as Katie. But Lily seemed sincere, and the growling in my stomach made it hard to refuse.

 

"Just take it," she urged gently. "No need to make a big deal out of it."

 

I looked at her, studying her expression. There was no mockery, no hidden agenda. Just a simple gesture of kindness. I took a deep breath, nodding slowly. "Thank you," I murmured, accepting the bag.

 

"No worries," Lily replied with a grin, her eyes lighting up. "Everyone needs a little help sometimes, right?"

I nodded, not trusting my voice. I opened the bag and took out the burger, the delicious smell filling my nostrils. It felt like forever since I'd had a proper meal. I took a bite, the flavors exploding in my mouth. It was bliss.

Lily watched me for a moment, a pleased expression on her face. "Looks good," she commented, before taking a seat opposite me. She had her own meal, a double cheeseburger with melted cheese. My mouth watered as she began to tear into the burger, and I forced myself to look away.

Another gurgle from my stomach made me wince. Giving in, I reached for the bag and opened it up. I blinked at the sight of three different wrapped burgers of some sort, and my mouth began to water.  My face paled, taking in the veritable feast in front of me. It wasn't just the burgers – there were fries and even a can of soda tucked in the side pocket of the bag.

 

"You looked like you could use it," Lily said, taking a sip from her drink. Her eyes were fixed on me, but not in a judgmental way. Instead, they were filled with a curious warmth.

 

Swallowing, I took a deep breath, mustering the courage to speak. "Why are you doing this?"

 

Lily raised an eyebrow, tilting her head slightly. "Why not? I mean, I've seen how they treat you, especially Katie." She paused, looking thoughtful. "It just doesn't seem fair, y'know?"

 

I glanced down, playing with the wrapping of the burger in my hands. "She's... she's not that bad," I murmured.

 

A smirk played on Lily's lips. "Right. Because friends make other friends carry all their shopping bags and leave him hungry while they go off to have fun."

 

I bit my lower lip, unsure of how to respond. The fact that someone else had noticed the dynamics, the unspoken hierarchies, made my stomach churn. I had grown so accustomed to it all, believing it was just the way things were.

 

"Why do you let her do that to you?" Lily asked, genuine curiosity in her voice.

 

I shrugged. "She's the only one who talks to me," I admitted, my voice barely audible. "We went to middle school together and I don't really have... other friends."

 

Lily looked at me, her eyes softening. "That's not a friend, Maito. That's someone taking advantage of you." She paused, taking a bite from her burger.

 

A lump formed in my throat, making it hard to swallow. I blinked back tears, focusing on the half-eaten burger in my hands, but I didn’t quite understand why.

 

Lily looked at me intently, her gaze piercing but not unkind. "You know, I think you and I could be friends. If you want, of course."

 

I looked up, taken aback by her straightforwardness. Was this some kind of trick?

 

She nodded, her lips curving into a gentle smile. "Yeah. Why not? I think you're pretty cool. And 

you definitely deserve better than the hand you've been dealt."

 

But her expression remained sincere, eyes filled with genuine warmth. "Why would you want to be friends with someone like me?" I almost whispered.

 

She shrugged, taking another bite of her burger before answering. "Why not? From what I've observed, you're kind, patient, and incredibly resilient." She smirked, "And I've always had a thing for underdogs."

 

"But Katie..."

 

"Katie doesn't own you, Maito. Nor does she own the concept of friendship. Look," she sighed, leaning forward slightly, "Everyone deserves to have real friends. People who care about them, stand up for them, and don’t just see them as accessories."

 

I nodded, taking in her words. It was a lot to process. I had grown so used to my place in the school's hierarchy that the idea of branching out, of finding real friends, felt terrifying.

 

The two of us continued eating in comfortable silence, the noise of the mall surrounding us. 

As we finished our meal, Lily stretched, leaning back in her chair. "So, what do you think? Friends?"

 

I huffed, feeling a warmth in my chest that I hadn't felt in a long time. "I… I don’t know if I can trust this. Or you," I admitted, my gaze wavering between her and my food tray.

 

Lily leaned in, resting her chin on the back of her hand. "Trust has to start somewhere, doesn't it? But I get it, trust is hard. So let's make it simple. We hang out today, no strings attached. And if, at the end of the day, you decide it's not for you, that's okay too. No hard feelings.”

 

I bit my lip, weighing the options. On one hand, Katie had been my only point of ‘stability for so long, but the weight of her expectations was suffocating sometimes. Here was Lily, offering a hand of friendship with no apparent ulterior motive.

 

Just as I was about to speak, the voice I had come to recognize all too well echoed through the food court. "Maito? Where have you been?! And why are you sitting with her?"

 

I stiffened, seeing Katie approaching with a frown marring her face and her entourage trailing behind her. I could feel the stares from others around the food court as she raised a fuss, making the weight on my chest grow heavier. Panic set in as the familiar feeling of being noticed threatened to suffocate me.

 

"I just thought he looked hungry," Lily said, nonchalantly, as she sipped her drink. "Isn’t it your responsibility to take care of your ‘friends’?”

 

Katie's eyes flashed with annoyance. "We're leaving," she said, with a hint of a threat in her voice.

 

I was about to comply, when I felt Lily touch my arm, sipping her drink.

 

Lily leaned back again, raising an eyebrow at Katie. "It’s up to him, really mate."

 

Katie sneered, looking between me and Lily as nostrils flared. "You think you can just waltz in and march off with my friends?"

 

Lily chuckled. "He's not property, Katie. He's a person. And he can make his own decisions."

 

A tense silence fell between the two girls. The weight of the moment was palpable, the tension so thick it felt like a rubber band stretched to its limit.

 

I gulped, realizing that I was the rubber band. The decision was mine.


The pressure and anxiety was overwhelming. My heart pounded loudly in my ears, each beat echoing the immense weight of the decision before me. It was a simple choice, in theory – stay with Katie, the familiar, or venture into the unknown with Lily.

 

My gaze darted between Katie, her features twisted with a mix of anger and frustration, and Lily, who sat calmly with something that looked like a supportive, understanding look on her face. People could be fake sometimes, and Katie was always true to herself with me. I always preferred a truth like that to the inevitable stab in the back.

 

But was Katie's truth one that I wanted to continue to live with? I felt like a tool, a pawn, whenever I was with her. It was a known misery like my father. On the other hand, with Lily, the air was different. Yes, it was uncertain, but it was also a type of uncertainty that was pleasant. It seemed too good to be true — someone who was willing to acknowledge my existence in a way that didn’t involve being a walking coat hanger.

 

I hesitated for a moment, collecting my thoughts.

 

Did I dare take a chance on something new, on the possibility of a genuine friendship? Could I bear to break away from the only semblance of 'normalcy' I had known for so long? Was Lily's offer genuine, or was it a trap waiting to be sprung?

 

Katie tapped her foot impatiently, her glare intensifying. The group behind her looked ready to jump in and defend their leader. The atmosphere felt charged, like the static before a storm. Lily looked back at me, her eyes soft, offering a silent invitation.

 

"Come on, Maito. Now," Katie's voice had an edge, cold and commanding.

 

It was the voice I had grown accustomed to, always following, always obeying. Yet, as I glanced between the two girls, I felt a small spark, a tiny ember of courage igniting within me. For the first time in a long while, I considered what I wanted, what was best for me, rather than what would keep me under the radar and free from conflict.

 

Swallowing hard, I turned to Lily, "I'd... I'd like to stay, if that's alright?"

 

Lily's face lit up with a gentle smile, "Of course."

 

Katie's face contorted with disbelief and anger. "Fine," she huffed, grabbing her bags and turning on her heel to leave. Her clique trailed behind like obedient puppies. I could feel eyes on me, both from Lily and from others in the food court. 

 

But for the first time, it didn’t matter. I hoped. The decision I had made felt both liberating and terrifying. Only time would tell if I had made the right choice, but for now, sitting across from Lily, the world felt a little less lonely.

 

Lily's hand reached across the table, patting my arm lightly. "You okay?"

 

I jerked back reflexively, a flash of pain traveling up my arm as her fingers brushed against a hidden, tender area wrapped in a gauze beneath my sleeve. I winced, clutching my arm defensively. "Sorry," I whispered, realizing I'd overreacted.

 

She frowned, her eyes narrowing in concern as she spotted the gauze. "What happened to your arm?"

 

Trying to come up with a plausible excuse, I hesitated. "I... I burned myself cooking," I lied, hoping she wouldn’t push further.

 

Lily stared at me for a long moment, the intensity of her gaze making me squirm in discomfort. But then she sighed, leaning back.

“I hate it when that happens,” Lily shook her head. “Wasn’t too bad a burn, I hope?”

 

“Nah,” I continued with relief. “Just a little splotch.”

 

Silence followed as I picked at my food and Lily ripped through her own.

 

I looked down, feeling a mixture of gratitude and shame. I wanted to trust her, every fiber in me screamed that she was genuine. But years of expecting the worst made me cautious.

 

She seemed to sense my internal struggle and gave me a reassuring smile. "Like I said earlier, trust takes time. And I'm willing to give it as long as you need."

 

I nodded, the weight in my chest lightening a bit. "Thank you."

 

The conversation continued with Lily keeping it light, steering away from the deep waters we had briefly touched upon earlier. She talked about her love for sports, her family, her favorite foods and hatred of vegetables, and I found myself smiling genuinely, drawn into learning about her as I dug into my meal. It made me guilty — accepting all this food from someone. It was a debt, after all, and debts had to be repaid. Still, I was… honestly too hungry to think about it right now.

 

Then suddenly, without a hint of hesitation, Lily paused, before taking out her phone. I watched curiously as she tapped on a colorful game icon, and the title “Magical Sunset: Rebellion” flashed on her screen. My eyes widened in recognition, and I glanced at her in surprise.

 

“You play that too?”

 

She grinned sheepishly. “Yep! Just started a couple of weeks ago. It’s surprisingly addictive, right? I just figured I’d get some of my dailies done. Hey, do you play Rebellion by any chance?” 

 

I blinked, looking at her with surprise. The last thing I’d expected was to find out that the athletic popular girl was into gaming, especially something as addictive as Magical Girls’ Sunset: Rebellion.

 

She laughed, seeing my startled expression. "Didn't expect that, huh? Trust me, it's not just about muscles and sports for me."

 

I nodded, still surprised. “I played it for a bit. I... uh, stopped when Aiko — one of Katie’s friends caught me and made fun of it. They were honestly pretty relentless about it as a group.”

 

Lily's brow furrowed slightly. "She did? Ugh, seriously, what’s her problem?" She seemed genuinely miffed on my behalf. "Well, no worries. You can play with me now. Do you remember your player ID? We can team up if you still have it installed."

 

I hesitated for a moment, memories of Katie's taunts ringing in my ears. But looking at Lily's genuine excitement and her soft but determined gaze, I found the courage to admit, “I might have kept updating, but I was too nervous to open the game."

 

Lily laughed softly, her green eyes twinkling. "Sneaky, I like it. Let's team up then. I’ve got a pretty solid account."

 

I pulled out my own phone, launching the game. Lily leaned in slightly, catching a glimpse of my account. Her eyes widened, her mouth forming a small 'o' of surprise.

 

“Whoa,” she breathed out. "That's an advanced Blade Princess. I thought you said you played for a bit?"

 

I scratched my head, feeling sheepish. “Um, just short of three weeks. About two months ago.”

 

Lily gaped at me. "Three weeks? I've been on this for months! You must’ve been really engrossed.”

 

A soft blush crept onto my cheeks, and I muttered, “It was... a distraction.”

 

Lily chuckled, shaking her head. “You’re full of surprises, Maito Shiroki.”

 

I gave a small smile, appreciating the levity she brought to the moment. “I just had a lot of free time.”

 

She grinned. “Well, then. Partner up with me. I could use a strong teammate. Especially someone who has a Blade Princess.”

 

I nodded, exchanging IDs with her. “Okay, but I warn you, I might be a bit rusty.”

 

Lily winked. “Don’t worry. We’ll be unstoppable together. And don't worry about the past. We play for fun, right? It’s not about being the best, it’s about enjoying the experience.”

 

I took out my phone, tentatively clicking on the game icon. The familiar title screen popped up, the characters and vibrant colors bringing back memories. I logged in, noting my untouched in-game currency and dailies. Handing over my player ID, I watched as Lily quickly sent a friend request.

 

"Got it," she said with a smile. "Now, let's get to it. The bosses and dungeons won't beat themselves, you know."

 

For a moment, the world faded away, replaced by pixelated avatars and fantasy. The weight on my shoulders felt a bit lighter, the concerns of school, Katie, and everything else faded to the background. We quickly teamed up, navigating our characters through various quests, giggling at silly NPC dialogues and comparing the unique skills our characters had. The world around us seemed to fade away, and for those moments, I felt normal — happy, even. The camaraderie of shared excitement in beating a particularly tough enemy, the satisfaction of completing a challenging quest — it felt good.

 

But just a few minutes after we’d gotten started, a message banner with red text flashed in the center of my vision. I jerked back in alarm, feeling a chill run down my spine as the message grew larger, blocking out everything else.

SYSTEM WARNING

Anathema Emergence detected. Reality Usurpation imminent.

5