Chapter 7: Improvisation
87 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Seven

-Improvisation-

The power outage from the Usurpation left the entire mall bathed in a chilling red glow from the emergency lights. The stifling tension and the steady heartbeat of my adrenaline-pumped pulse merged with the eerie echoes of distant movement. Every second felt like borrowed time. Every passing moment could spell disaster.

I grabbed a cart and raced down the aisle as Helios hopped around, frantically pointing me to what we needed. Nails, pipes, tape, copper wiring, hydrogen peroxide, fertilizer, corks, duct tape, and a bit of diesel – every item hastily thrown into the cart had a purpose. The closer I got to assembling the ingredients, the clearer the plan in my head became, though I knew I couldn’t attribute it all to my own knowledge in the slightest. Helios was doing the bulk of the lifting here, and we worked at an almost supernatural pace.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Lily approach, her face a canvas of confusion and concern. "Maito? What are you doing?"

I barely glanced up, hands still working with frenetic speed. "Jury-rigging a few things that could come in handy.”

Her eyes widened, watching me with trepidation. “Pardon me, mate. But unless I’m mistaken, that’s diesel and fertilizer you're mixing there? Are you making what I think you're making?"

I hesitated. "Pipe bombs. It might just be enough to help us in a pinch."

Lily leaned in, watching my hands move with a precision and knowledge that, of course, wasn't entirely mine. "Uh. Dare I ask, how do you even know how to make this?" Her voice was filled with wonder and a hint of fear.

I paused, just for a moment, realizing I didn't have an answer I could give her. "Well, I technically don’t," I said vaguely, the weight of my new Guardian status heavy on my mind. “I’m the type to watch engineering streams on YouTube, though.” I lied, as Helios hid behind a canister, subtly weaving copper through a pipe.”Helios continued to direct his thoughts to me as I frantically began to spread the extra materials out on a workbench.

[Purchasing Kinetic Explosives (Common) vault was worth the 100 point cost. A typical military grade fragmentation grenade or proximity mine will cost you 1 point, so having one of these on hand should be more than enough to handle low level Anathema. It will also provide plausible deniability, with the knowledge that you have pipe bombs in reserve.]

I worked quickly, mixing the ingredients with a shaky hand. Every time Brian and Lily turned around to watch me run around, Helios would do something to move along the process - whether it was mixing in ingredients or screwing on corks with his paws. "Throwing stuff like together. It's... just something I picked up," I continued, trying to sound casual as I kept my attention focused on my work.

Lily was watching me closely with her brow furrowed. "Maito, in our short time together, you've pulled off some crazy stunts, but this?" She gestured towards the improvised bombs. "This is next level. Are you sure you've never done this before?"

I exhaled, looking her in the eyes with a shrug. "I’ll be perfectly honest… no, I have not. It’s not too different from the booby traps I jury-rigged to lure the Anathema away from the sports store, or the scythe though. Plus, my umn, what passes for a brother is also an engineer so I picked up a few things."

Behind her, Brian shifted nervously. "Are those things… safe?" he asked with a tremor.

I offered him a weak smile. "As safe as they can be, considering the circumstances."

Lily stared at me with an unreadable expression. "Maito, you know what? I won't question this. I’m just going to assume it’s one of your quirks and talents, but just… be careful, okay?"

I nodded. "Definitely. You can trust me."

With that, I finished assembling four pipe bombs. The rush and immediacy of the situation meant I spent less than ten minutes throwing them together. It felt reckless, but Helios assured me it would work and the dire nature of the situation demanded drastic measures.

[Maito,] Helios whispered in my mind. [You should conceal and store these properly. You don't want them going off unexpectedly.]

"Right," I murmured, carefully wrapping each bomb in cloth and securing them in our backpacks.

As I zipped them shut, I met Lily's eyes. There was a mix of awe and fear in her gaze. My heart raced, and I could feel the urgency of our mission pressing down on us.

The longer a Usurpation goes, the more powerful the Anathema monsters that spawn are, and we didn’t have much time to waste.

"Let's move," Lily said, taking a deep breath. "And I hope to every god under the damned sun that we don't need to use those."

I nodded in agreement, scooping up my makeshift scythe. We quickly began our trek through the mall, with the echoing footsteps of our hurried pace serving as a stark reminder of the chaos potentially lurking around the corner.

As we’d moved along to the hardware store, I’d purchased the Common explosives and Common handguns vaults, spending 230 points against Helios’s initial suggestions.

I was adamant about having a literal gun up my sleeve, in case things truly went south, leaving me with 50 points left in reserve. I still hadn’t unlocked my signature augmentations, but I stressed my desire for expediency and subtlety to Helios. I wasn’t quite yet willing to reveal my status as a newly contracted Guardian to Lily yet, even if my gut told me I could trust her on some level. Our only real option was to head to another shelter and the mega shelter on the first floor was the shortest path and our best bet at safety. Mega shelters had dedicated personnel staffing them as they were expected to not only house residents of whatever building they were in but also people who came in from the street. In other words, the chance of the emergency shield being active was much lower with professional handlers in charge.

Unless, of course, they had an actual reason to activate it.

[I have verified that the path down the stairwell is clear,] Helios said, reappearing in front of me as we came upon the stairwell.

I nodded, turning to look back at Brian and Lily. Brian was looking shaky, and so I gave him a quick smile that he returned nervously as he clutched his baseball bat. Lily, on the other hand, looked focused, her gaze sharp and unyielding as she clutched her ice axe. It was clear that she was doing her best to keep her emotions in check.

"We'll be there in no time," I said, trying to sound reassuring, even as doubts nagged at the back of my mind.

Lily glanced at the stairwell, her brow furrowing. "We should be careful. If there are any of those... things in there, we'll be trapped."

"It’ll be quick," I responded, glancing at Helios for reassurance. "Just down to the first floor, and straight to the mega shelter."

[I have scouted ahead, Maito. Please proceed ahead.] Helios informed me. [Head on down - I will check further ahead.]

Nodding, I led the way, my hand firmly on the sheathed chef’s knife. Brian followed, gripping his bat even tighter as we descended the dimly lit stairs. Each step felt like an eternity, the deafening silence only punctuated by our soft footsteps and the distant, unsettling noises of the mall.

The first floor’s architecture was much more like a standard, modern day mall, all glass storefronts and white tile flooring. As for the layout, it was much like the third floor with a giant circular area in the center and a maze of hallways surrounding it. There was also a wide path leading from the center area directly to the front entrance, giving anybody who might come off the streets a straight shot to the shelter entrance in the middle.

I scanned the area, keeping my hand on my knife as I searched for movement. Between all the signs, reflections, advertisements, and glass, it was hard to see anything. The dim red emergency lighting wasn’t helping either. I moved to follow Helios as he scampered down the hall and took a turn. My movement was slower, and I checked through the windows of every store before passing, just to make sure Helios hadn’t missed anything being extra stealthy. I didn’t want to relive the ambush from earlier again.

We continued like that, Lily following close behind with Brian trailing in the rear. There was a sort of tension in the air, a thickness that I couldn’t shake off. We'd fall into a rhythm: I'd check left, then right, with Lily watching our back and Brian’s shaky hands clutching his bat as if it were his lifeline.

The worst part was the noise. Or lack thereof. The mall was utterly silent except for our footsteps and breathing. It made my heartbeat feel extra loud in my ears. Every step that squeaked on the tile floors made me wince.

[Maito, be cautious,] Helios's voice echoed in my mind, bringing me back to the moment. [There’s an Anathema present up ahead - another Fomorian hound.]

I hesitated for a second, fear clawing up the back of my throat. Images of the previous wolflike anathema’s carapace body and lamprey mouth standing over me, ready to end my life made me shudder, my breaths picking up in speed.

I could hear Lily whispering behind me, “What is it, Maito? Why did you stop?”

I quickly shook my head, attempting to appear calm. “I thought I heard something. Let’s slow down a bit.”

The truth was, if I had to face another Fomorian Hound, I wasn’t sure how I'd fare. The last encounter had been too close for comfort. Still, there was the gun that I could summon at any point, but that’d blow any chance at privacy I had as a Guardian wide open.

I unsheathed the chef’s knife and looked down on it — Helios had helped me place a ‘lesser rune of sharpness’ and a ‘lesser rune of silent footsteps’ on it, which I could activate by channeling some mana.

I glanced into her eyes, filled with concern and determination. She was brave, having faced Anathema before, but was she ready to confront another Fomorian Hound? More importantly, could I trust her with my new powers?

“Hey Lily,” I murmured. “I’m going to go on ahead and scout it out. Watch Brian really quick, okay?”

She narrowed her eyes, worry and suspicion evident. “What? Why? What did you hear?”

I took a deep breath. “I'll be quick and quiet. If anything goes wrong, make a run for the shelter. But I promise, I’ll be back.”

I turned to move, but Lily grabbed my wrist firmly. "Wait. Don't do this alone, Maito. Let me come with you."

"No," I said softly, pulling my hand back gently. "It's easier for one person to be stealthy and quiet. I'll scout ahead and check the corners. If it's safe, I'll signal for you to follow."

Lily's face was a canvas of emotions - frustration, concern, and something else, something I couldn't quite pinpoint. "You're doing that thing again," she whispered, her blue eyes piercing into mine. "That thing where you act like you don’t matter. I hate it."

I gulped, feeling her words pulling on my heartstrings. All my life, I’d been conditioned to believe I wasn't worth much. The last two hours with Lily had shifted that perspective slightly, but old habits die hard.

"Look," I replied, trying to keep my voice steady. "I... I can handle this. I won’t go into a suicide mission here."

“Handle what? Maito, what did you hear?" Her voice was insistent now.

Just then, the distant sound of a falling object echoed through the hallways, causing Brian to let out a frightened whimper.

Lily tightened her grip on the bat she held. "Maito, if you’re going ahead to check on that alone, I swear—"

I placed a hand on her shoulder, trying to muster as much confidence as I could. "I have a plan. Trust me, please. I’m just going to check the hallways quietly and stay away from trouble. Just wait here with Brian. I'll be back in no time."

She hesitated for a moment, and I could see the internal struggle she was going through. But then, slowly, she nodded. "Fine, but you’d better keep that promise."

I nodded, feeling a newfound determination. As I edged forward, I could sense Helios guiding me, whispering warnings and suggestions. The thought of confronting a Fomorian Hound was daunting, but if I could just manage to avoid a direct confrontation, maybe, just maybe, we'd have a chance.

I took one last glance back at Lily and Brian, who watched me anxiously. The weight of their trust weighed heavily on my shoulders. Taking a deep breath, I activated the runes on the chef's knife, and with silent footsteps, began my trek towards the unknown danger.

Helios and I crept ahead and rounded a corner. Scampering to the next intersection, I pressed myself against another corner, peeking around. I saw nothing, but shadows shifted on the glass of one of the storefronts.

Helios perked up - [Fourth store on the right up ahead. It should come out any moment now.]

I scanned my eyes down the hallway, only to huff in surprise as I saw the desiccated body of a security guard. His gun lay discarded a few feet away, but the real horror was the way his torso had been opened, the insides gruesomely devoured.

The Fomorian Hound's handiwork, no doubt.

Morbidly enough, this actually provided the perfect opportunity for me.

Swallowing the bile rising in my throat, I put down my scythe and reached out with trembling hands, grabbing his standard issue gun. I frantically looked up at the moving shadows, before pulling my handgun out of my hoodie's pocket. A shuffling sound echoed, and I adjusted my grip on the Umbra, getting to my feet and flattening myself against the wall, ready to aim. My pulse quickened as the Fomorian Hound crept into view.

My heart drummed in my ears, and I tried to slow down my breathing. I fiddled around with the handgun and double-checked to make sure the safety was off and the hammer pulled back. My hands were sweaty, and I readjusted my grip. Then I carefully put my finger on the trigger and waited.

After a few moments, there was more movement on the glass reflections. My breath hitched as the creature’s head exited the store, and I forced myself not to pull the trigger in response. Its lidless eyes seemed unfocused as it continued stepping out, completely unaware of me. Slowly, it placed one foot in front of the other.

As it began exiting, I aimed for the center of its body. The creature was almost perpendicular in relation to me, giving me the biggest target I could ask for. I let out my breath, focusing on my aim and nothing else.

For a brief moment, fear flashed through me. What if I missed? What if it moved at the last second? What if I made a mistake like I always do? Then it would come for me with claws and its lamprey mouth and when it finished sucking the life from me…

Then it would go for Brian and Lily. And if we left it alone and tried to go around it? If it got the drop on us?

I pulled the trigger.

As my first bullet struck, it immediately whipped around and dashed at me, causing me to seize in panic and miss my second shot.

My instincts kicked in. Panic surged as the hound's monstrous form lunged, a blur of chitin and teeth. I didn’t have time to think or process its movement. Just enough instinct to react. Desperately, I sidestepped, feeling its scythe-tail graze my arm as I continued firing.

One more bullet found my mark, burrowing deep into its exposed shoulder joint. The hound yowled in pain, its eyes fixing onto me with pure malice as it coiled up on its legs. My mind raced — I couldn’t lead it back to Lily and Brian. I needed to find another way.

The Fomorian Hound, injured but not deterred, charged again, its maw wide open. I made a snap decision. Without thinking, I jumped forward, seeing the flash of an opening for my enchanted knife in its carapace. My hand held firm as I swung the knife, cutting directly through its scythe tail and deep into the hound’s head, right where I’d noticed an angle I could approach from.

It screamed in pain, thrashing and trying to snap at me as the severed scythe tail landed on the ground. I held onto the knife, gritting my teeth as the creature’s death throes threatened to throw me off.

But I had momentum, and in one final twist of the blade, I felt something vital give way beneath its hide.

The creature collapsed with a great thud, a mixture of gurgling and hissing noises emanating from its jaws. I stood there, panting, adrenaline pumping through me. The stench of the creature's ichor burned my nostrils, and I felt a mix of nausea and relief wash over me.

The realization that I had just killed a Fomorian Hound, alone and unprotected, slowly dawned on me. The weight of the act pushed me to my knees, and I felt a strange amalgamation of pride, fear, and disgust all at once.

[Well done, Maito.] Helios's voice was a soothing contrast to the intensity of the battle, but I could detect a hint of concern in his telepathic tone. [You should retrieve your knife and regroup with Lily and Brian.]

[Defeated (Fomorian Hound - Level 3)]

[Reward: 10 Points]

I did just that, pulling the blade from the creature's carcass with a wet, squelching sound. Just as I was wiping the blade off on my uniform trousers, a familiar voice reached my ears.

“Maito!”

I turned to see Lily rushing around the corner, ice axe in hand. Her eyes widened as she took in the sight of the dead Fomorian Hound, the dead guard, and then they met mine — filled with a mixture of relief and amazement.

“What... what happened here?” she panted, eyeing the creature's lifeless form. Brian was a few steps behind her, looking pale and horrified.

“I...I took it down,” I muttered, still trying to come to terms with it myself. The events felt surreal, like something out of a video game.

Lily approached slowly, glancing at the knife in my hand, my pistol in the other, then back to the creature and its cloven tail. “By yourself?”

I nodded, looking away, feeling uncomfortable with her scrutiny. The last thing I wanted was to be the center of attention.

Somehow, I was expecting her to berate me or tell me how I could have done it better. I was bracing for criticism, the way I always did.

Instead, she surprised me by pulling me into a brief, firm hug. "That was insanely brave," she whispered, her voice shaky. "And incredibly stupid. Don't ever do something like that without backup. You hear me?"

I stiffened, unsure how to respond. It felt foreign, but warm and comforting. For a moment, I allowed myself to relax into the embrace. But just as quickly as it began, she released me and stepped back with a worried look.

“Oh. Can’t let Brian see this…” Lily muttered as Brian rounded the corner and she quickly covered his eyes to shield him from the gruesome scene of the security guard's corpse and the slain Fomorian Hound.

I suddenly felt very self-conscious and small, my momentary victory overshadowed by the grim reality of what we were dealing with.

“What’s going on?” Brian asked, his voice trembling, trying to peek from behind Lily’s protective hand.

“It’s okay, Brian. Just a small hiccup, but everything’s under control now. Maito took out another one of those monster hound things, and we need to get moving,” Lily said gently, her voice calming the younger boy as she gently led him away from the scene.

I glanced at it again as I regained my composure and began to walk away. The big alien hound had a small pool of black blood forming underneath it, but was motionless. Its lidless eyes stared at me like it could come alive at any moment, and I didn’t quite let it out of my sight until we went into the next hallway.

Turning away from the corpse of the Fomorian Hound, I whispered to Helios, “Did I do okay?”

[You managed to defeat the creature, so that's a win. But…] There was a pause in Helios' mental voice. [Your initial aim was lacking, and your grip over your weapon was weak. The creature’s rush caught you off-guard and you hesitated, skewing your aim. That hesitation could have cost you your life. Fomorian Hounds are some of the weakest Anathema and serve merely as scouts and skirmishers.]

Helios' assessment weighed heavily on me. "Dammit. I need to be sharper," The words tumbled out, more to myself than to Helios as I looked at the floor.

Lily, overhearing my words, looked at me with a quizzical expression. “What are you talking about? You just took down an Anathema alone. That’s amazing in my books!”

“Eh, did I say that out loud?” I blushed.

[All in all, however, that was an excellent showing for your first time shooting a gun

and taking on an Anathema,] Helios continued. [Learn from this. Grow stronger. And remember, you are not alone. I will always be here to help you, and I believe Lily is in your corner now as well. Unfortunately, we did not find time to put you through a basic firearms handling tutorial there, and we had to make do with the present showing. Congratulations on a job well done, Maito.]

As if to confirm what Helios just said, Lily tilted her head, concern evident in her blue eyes. "Maito," she began, "you really need to give yourself more credit. It's easy to criticize ourselves, but what you did back there was more than brave. It was extraordinary, even. Just… be more careful. Remember that I’ve got your back here."

I looked down, fighting the swell of emotions threatening to bubble up again. It felt like ages since someone genuinely cared about my well-being. I nodded weakly, unable to put words to the turmoil inside me. "Thanks," was all I could manage.

As we ventured forward, the echo of our footsteps in the cavernous mall filled the eerie silence. Helios took the lead again, invisible to all but me. However, it didn’t take long before I realized something was off.

Instead of heading directly to the shelter at the center, Helios froze as we went down one path, before hopping down a path away from what the map had shown me. We went down several winding paths, almost like a snake slithering around a rodent it's about to strike, before Helios stiffened again and hopped away from the beaten path again.

Lily seemed oblivious to our unusual patterns, but on the third detour, she began to look around with a frown, and I began to fear the worst. Sure, the mall was ridiculously big and practically a miniature city, but I still felt like it was taking much longer than it should have.

Despite the tension in the air, I trusted Helios, but a small part of me was curious. "Why are we going around instead of straight to the shelter?" I reached out mentally to him.

His ears twitched a few times before he sighed, turning to me.

[We have a problem, one that I don’t see a good solution to.]

I tilted my head at him slightly, and he seemed to consider his words carefully.

[The central area leading to the shelter entrance is crawling with Anathema. I’ve been searching to see if there was a way to sneak past them, but have been unable to find one. I’m afraid the only way forward is if you take them on directly.]

I swallowed down the fear but gave a hesitant nod. I’d taken down one already, and it would only get easier. If this is what needs to be done to get to safety, then so be it.

“Okay. How many are there?”

Helios’s burning eyes gleamed in the dim light he looked at me.

[Seventeen. You will have to face seventeen Anathema.]

3