Chapter 2
368 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Decided to change how I do the dialogue slightly, i want to make it a bit more comprehensive and easier to read, so the narration is in first person all the time in this one, instead of switching back and forth

"Huh?"

"I'll adopt you! Actually, I should make you my real daughter!"

"Um, Miss Lilith.." Isn't this too sudden? Also, what does she mean by real daughter?

"You don't have to call me Mom if you don't want to, but at least call me Lilith! Please?" She said that with sparkling eyes and a face that no one would ever expect the Demon Queen to make.

"I don't know, I wouldn't want to trouble Mis- Um, Lilith."

"Don't worry about it, while I technically rule over the continent, it's too big for me to actually oversee all of it, I mainly take care of issues within the capital, well, Melania does most of the work but... Oh right! I should introduce you since you'll be living here from now on!" After she said that, I could see the shadows around the room solidifying and wavering, and then suddenly a woman as tall as Lilith was standing there. She had short red hair coming down to her neck, a lot less messier than her own, pale skin but plump lips, and she was wearing an all-black suit that covered almost all of her body. An interesting way of using shadow magic, most people use it to deceive or mislead their enemies, making it a niche path, or so her teachers told her. And besides that...

"A vampire?"

"Ah, you can tell? Your senses are really sharp, that's right, Lania is-"

"Your majesty! Please don't use that nickname right now!" the vampire lady suddenly said, holding onto Lilith's arm.

"Oh? Why not? She's gonna be living here from now on anyways, and I think it's about time you stopped with your acting gig, you don't have to call me that in private, I already told you that so many times!"

"But- sigh, alright, Lith, let's do it your way." she swiftly changed her tone to a more relaxed one, like the previous serious-looking woman was an illusion, while Lilith smiled triumphantly

"Um, It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Melania, I'm Lily." I didn't want to interrupt their talk, but I felt like I would miss my chance to introduction if I didn't

"Just Melania is fine, Lily, well, I guess it's Lily Purpura now." Ah.. I'm not sure if...

"I can tell what you're thinking just by looking at your face, you know? I decided to take care of you, so you don't have to worry about such things. How about this, you'll live with me for the next week, and if you don't like it, I'll fulfill your original wish." Lilith said after glancing at me, am I that obvious?

"..Alright, I guess waiting another week couldn't hurt.." she already waited six months, after all, I'm sure I could hold out for a bit longer

"Right, sorry to interrupt your familial bonding, but I am quite curious, according to your story, you took six months of travel to get here, but with your speed, if you came straight here without stopping, you could get here in just a bit over half a month, accounting for taking breaks for food, sleep, any unexpected interruptions and your attempts at.. You know, it still shouldn't have taken longer than three months, you know?" Her too? Why could everyone read her so easily all of a sudden...

"Now that you mention it, I wanna know too!" Lilith added. Ugh, this is embarrassing...

"Ah, you see, I... I was a bit mad at the church after I went to my home, so I kind of came straight to the demon continent without heading back, but I didn't get a map before coming, and a map of the whole continent isn't exactly easy to find.." aaargh, stupid, stupid!

"But I'm sure you could have asked for directions from someone, right?" Melania asked the obvious question, I was hoping she'd just accept it...

"But that would've been too much! I was avoiding any contact with the demons, and it would have been embarrassing to just come up to someone and ask where the capital was! Isn't that common knowledge? What if they ask why I want to know? I couldn't just say I'm the hero and had to meet with the demon queen.." Lilith made a confused face for a second until she started laughing

"Pftt, I see, I see, you really are just a kid at the end of the day, even if sometimes you don't act like it." damn it, now she would start treating me like a child... "Also, I had forgotten about it, but the church calls all demi-humans demons huh, it seems like I have a lot of things to teach you, daughter," she said that last word with a smug look on her face, I'll act like I didn't hear that...

"Not everyone on the demon continent is a demon?" That was news to her, I knew there were sub-species for demons, or at least that's what I was told, but it seems like it's a bit more complicated than that

"That's right. To begin with, it's only called the demon continent because the Demon Lord rules over it, and the only reason beast-kin and other demi-humans live here, to begin with, is because they were forced out of their lands by humans, who then forced them to settle down on unfamiliar lands and started to refer to them as demons." that's...

"Pretty bad, right? Well, to begin with, demons are rare, and our population is extremely low because we're actually born out of mana, it's a natural process where areas with a high mana density can basically create a demon, our body is actually made of mana, and we live off of it. Not only are we rare, but the Demon Lord is even rarer, just like the Hero, it's basically a demon born with an absurd amount of dark mana, instead of the holy counterpart. Ah, vampires are basically distant cousins to the demons, by the way. They feed off the mana in blood, and are actually made of flesh and blood." Lilith just gave a lot of information that completely changes how she views things, but then...

"What about the elves?" now I want to know more

"Ahh, those shut-ins?" huh? "They do their own thing, they're a somewhat neutral third party, mostly because they never leave their damn forests, but we can talk about that later, right now, I'm sure you must be hungry, you looked exhausted when you got here, and you went to sleep without eating anything, right?" right on cue, her stomach growled, it hasn't been that long, has it?

 

How do you like the dialogue this chapter?
  • I like it better Votes: 8 72.7%
  • I prefer the old ones Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don't really care Votes: 2 18.2%
Total voters: 11
8