Chapter 1: Sacrifice in the Temple
1.4k 1 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The night is shrouded, its skyline illuminated by countless stars, like countless eyes, staring at the towering city-state of Uruk on the ground.

In the heart of the city, near the temple dedicated to the gods, under the flickering light of a bonfire, a young teenager with raven-black hair and eyes is holding a flat clay tablet for taking notes in his hand.

With meticulous care, he carved words onto the tablet using a knife.

"Luo Wei, thank you for inscribing this sacrificial text that will be used in tomorrow's ceremony."

A voice broke the silence beside him, a voice that carried the weight of age, low and hoarse:

"I am old and my eyesight can no longer see clearly.

From now on, the position of high priest will be left to you.."

This sentence seemed very similar to those bosses who made big cakes in later generations, but Luo Wei knew that the old man was not lying.

He is indeed older, and his current physical condition is no longer suitable to hold the crucial position of high priest of Uruk for a long time.

As one of the few young members of the temple who possessed writing skills and a deep knowledge of Uruk's gods, he is indeed the only candidate to take over.

If not,

The old man would not entrust him with such an important matter as burning memorial inscriptions for the sacrifice, despite their limited interactions.

After all, in the past year, although he has shown sufficient talent, but limited by his qualifications, he is not outstanding among so many priests, for this kind of task, it should not be his turn.

This is an obvious hint.

So after hearing this, he immediately raised his head and looked at the other party in response: "Don't worry, this is what I should do."

"What a nice young man."

The old man sighed, and then staggered to his feet.

The body wrapped in the linen robe unique to the high priest, so thin that only the bones were left, shook a little, and as he walked toward the door, his tangled beard and hair trembled a little.

"Go on, I won't disturb you anymore, go to bed early, I will need you to host the ceremony on my behalf tomorrow."

"It would be great if the king could have such a calm mind as you..." He walked towards the door, muttering regretfully and helplessly.

But he himself knew that this was impossible.

In this country, everyone knows that Gilgamesh, the contemporary king of Uruk, is arrogant and reckless.

He dares to speak out against the gods, not to mention his subjects,

Treating everyone with disdain

Of course, the premise of the old man's comfort and helplessness is that he is old and frail, and his eyes are dim, so he can't read the words written by Luo Wei and doesn't know the great death that this young man is about to commit—

After all, what the young man wrote is not a sacrificial text used to worship the gods at all.

Instead, it's a 'sparse.'

'As a minister, I give advice to the king.'

Every word and sentence in the text expressed his regret for the country Uruk, sympathy for its people, and reprimands aimed at the young tyrant Gilgamesh.

It was a far cry from polite.

He didn't want to perform any sacrifice to the gods at all.

He just wanted to scold the so-called king who put on a high face all day long.

"In this way, I should be able to leave a reputation in humanism and then die?"

After seeing the old man off with a pang of guilt for concealing his true intentions, Luo Wei returned to the stone tablet; looked at the words illuminated by the flickering firelight, and couldn't help laughing out loud again.

The reason why he wrote these words was not really for this country or the people.

As a transmigrator, he was not deeply involved in the world, and he did not have such a deep sense of belonging with anyone..

So, the first thing he did after arriving here was to change his name from Aiden to Yu Wei..

When he was born, an old woman gave him this name, and unfortunately, he wasn't a certain demon king that could announce his name just after being born, so he was powerless and voiceless to refute it.

He couldn't speak, and his cries couldn't explain anything..cough but changing his name back was necessary, after all, why would he use a name which he didn't even know who gave it, instead of the one he used for twenty years.

Anyway there were so many, so many things going on in the city, who would care about the name of a nobody?

Well.. given all this, he didn't even spend much time here..

The people are suffering under the rule of the Tyrant King, but it has nothing to do with him, so why would he be so profound and noble to express his sympathy for the people and even reprimand the willful king whose ego is higher than the sky?

Isn't that courting death?

Well, it's right..

After all, this is his ultimate goal..

He simply wanted to die.

____

Although it is also a city-state on the plains of Mesopotamia, but Luo Wei, who has seen the blond, bright, and handsome god-like appearance of the king of Uruk named Gilgamesh, knows that this is not just the Uruk he saw in the history textbook, but the Uruk from the world of TYPE-MOON or simply from "Nasuverse".

In this world, everything comes from the root, and everything will flow to the root.

The root is the source and the end of the world.

Any behavior that wants to enter or leave needs to go to the root.

As a transmigrator, when he was transmigrating to this world, it was natural that he would also pass through it.

But he wasn't just passing through.

Although, at that time, his consciousness was unable to fully think due to the influence of the turbulence of time and space, at the root, he saw a lot of things.

The root of everything is nothing.

Being in it, one can also come into contact with the essential knowledge of everything and nothing.

So, at that time, he knew that this was the Fate-verse.

(The fanfic might only have the characters from Fate, so let's call it that.)

He also knew that outside the vortex of roots, which was the only way he was about to pass through and enter the world, there was actually a mysterious and magnificent place.

A place that existed outside of both the World and the time axis.

A corner of the record tape that records the phenomena of all things, the 'Throne of Heroes' also known as the 'Ring of Deterrence.'

All the "heroes" in human history are recorded on the Throne of Heroes.

From ancient times to the present, outstanding figures in parallel worlds extending from each different development will have their tracks engraved on it.

At the root, he was almost omniscient and omnipotent, but when he was about to break away from the root and fall into this world, he knew that this power from the Root could not be taken with him into the world, as his physical body and weak soul was ill-suited to contain such immense knowledge.

Therefore, he simply engraved this knowledge of power on the 'Heroic Throne' that passed by; carving out a "Throne" that was at the apex of humanity and only he could sit on.

Maybe this could be called his cheat as a Transmigrator.

"Although it's a bit of a pity to lose that power, as long as I can leave my name on human history and then die in an abnormal and non-suicidal way, I can gain the recognition of the Heroic Soul Seat and reach it again——"

This recognition would grant him access to that seat, where he could get that power again.

With that power, Naturally, the Heroic Soul Throne can no longer restrict him but will instead become his domain.

This was the actual reason behind his elaborate ruse, writing this "critique" and orchestrating his own dramatic demise.

As the first person in history to openly insult a tyrant under the name of a minister, Luo Wei believed that his name would echo throughout the annals of human history..

And after his death, he would ascend to the Throne of Heroes.

In this process, however, one must be careful.

This matter cannot be told to anyone.

After all, there is still a natural consciousness called inhibition in this world, and if his true motives were uncovered, achieving an extraordinary and non-suicidal death would be nearly impossible.

Moreover, in order to ensure that he is the main body who reached the Seat of Heroes, instead of being falsely identified by some existence or even fabricating an existence to replace his achievements, he must die immediately after establishing his great cause, and he must not commit suicide.

So the only way to die is by being killed..

Then, under such various demands, he must check again...Just make sure he scolds hard enough.

It is best to reach the point where the king is furious to the point where it is difficult to control.

But there was no room for error.

With this in mind, he examined his work once more, ensuring that his words were as scathing as they could be.

As time passed, the originally dark night outside the window gradually revealed a gleam of light.

The morning light emerged, and wisps of light pierced the darkness.

Its daybreak.

In the originally quiet city-state of Uruk, figures gradually emerged among the city streets made of rammed earth and rocks.

Luo Wei, still engrossed in his work, was interrupted by a young temple subordinate.

The subordinate woke him up as he recovered, he spoke with the utmost respect, "Priest Luo Wei, the old priest has summoned you to the Pantheon. The ceremony is about to begin!"

Only then did he realize that the morning had arrived.

"Understood." Clutching the stone tablet tightly, he nodded and said,

"I will make my way to the Pantheon immediately."

39