Chapter 1
26 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I’ve had enough,” I whispered to myself, the words carrying the weight of a thousand unspoken sorrows. My voice, barely a murmur, was a reflection of the hollowness that had settled in the pit of my chest. It wasn’t a declaration, but a desperate plea for respite.

I placed my trembling hand on my chest, feeling the relentless thumping of my heart. Each beat resonated like a drum in the silent confines of my car. It was a loud, heavy rhythm that mirrored the turmoil inside me.

Why... Why did you do it?

I blinked rapidly, battling against the tears that threatened to surge forth, my vision blurred by both my own internal storm and the unforgiving speed of the freeway. The city lights whisked past in a kaleidoscope of colors, mirroring the chaos that had taken root in my soul.

The sadness that enveloped me, was suffocating and raw. It was a despair that crept into every corner of my being, gnawing at my soul like a relentless predator. My heart ached, not just with sorrow but with a profound sense of betrayal. The people I thought I could trust had let me down.

No, not people... One person... There was only one person that mattered. And she... She betrayed me... No, even worse than that... Betrayal doesn’t even begin to cover what she did to me...

“Do you have any idea of what you’ve d-d-done to me?” I whispered, my grip tightening around the steering wheel.

“...”

“Of course, you don’t... You never really cared about me, did you?”

I looked at the world outside through the glass and saw that it was oblivious to the tempest raging in my heart. I couldn’t escape the memories, the pain, and the sense of loss that had haunted me for too long.

“You broke me...” I felt my breath catch in my throat as the words left my lips.

THUMP.

THUMP.

THUMP.

I’m an idiot... I’m an idiot for believing that someone actually cared about me... I’m a fool for thinking that I mattered to her...

“FUCK!” I cursed, slamming my fist against my window. “Why did I ever think that you cared about me? How could I let myself be fooled so easily!?!”

“...” Once again silence fell over the car.

I hated to admit it, but I was alone. Not just in my car, but in life. I was going to be alone for the rest of my life, and the sooner I accepted it, the better. I could continue screaming for days, cursing her for stabbing my heart, but the truth was simple. My screams would never reach her. My pain would never be felt and my voice would remain unheard.

If only she could feel the pain I was feeling, maybe then she’d realize what she’d done...

DRIP!

One solitary raindrop splashed against my windshield, a delicate herald of the impending storm. It clung to the surface for a fleeting moment before another joined it, and then another. Each drop, a tiny prism refracting the city lights, left a transient mark on the glass. The tempo of their descent quickened, a gentle prelude to the deluge that was soon to follow.

As the rain began to fall more insistently, a soothing symphony of nature’s tears played on my car’s roof.

Madeleine... I miss you...

I remembered the way her hair smelled, a delicate lavender that always lingered in the air whenever she was near. It was a scent that had become inextricably linked to her, a fragrance of both solace and longing. Her smile, radiant and infectious, could illuminate even the darkest corners of my soul. Her voice, soft and melodious, was a balm to my wounds, and her laughter, a melody that once brought me endless joy.

But now, those memories were bittersweet echoes, ghosts of a love that had turned to ash. The itchy sensation in my eyes returned, the unwelcome reminder of unshed tears. I blinked away the moisture, but the relentless rain outside provided a welcome camouflage for the tears I couldn’t hide from myself.

“I-I can’t... I can’t do this anymore...”

I clenched my fists as my words were once again met with silence. I knew that I was alone, but still... Somewhere in my mind, I was hoping that something... Perhaps some supernatural force would save me... Tell me that everything was going to be okay...

“Why am I so dumb?” I cursed under my breath. “Of course, nobody is going to save me... Even if there is some supernatural force out there, they don’t care about me... why would they care!?”

SILENCE.

“It’s over,” I whispered to myself, my voice a fragile thread that barely held my crumbling resolve. I couldn’t stand it any longer- the relentless pain, the haunting memories, the gaping void where love had once thrived. The world outside my car had become surreal, distorted by the turmoil that raged within.

As I continued to drive, my gaze locked on the rain-slicked road, and a truck emerged from the opposite direction. Its headlights cut through the dark, a piercing beacon that seemed to beckon me into the abyss. In that moment, something inside me shattered, and I lost every ounce of will to live.

My body seemed to move of its own accord as if possessed by some invisible force. I turned the steering wheel, veering toward the oncoming truck. The world blurred around me, and the sound of my own desperate breaths filled the air. The truck drew closer, a looming specter that would soon consume me.

The blaring of the truck’s horn pierced the heavy silence, jolting me from my trance. My hands trembled on the steering wheel, and I squirmed in my seat, gripped by a primal fear. The truck’s headlights bore down on me, searing through the rain-smeared windshield, nearly blinding me in their intensity.

Just before the inevitable collision, the world seemed to fracture into chaos. Time slowed, and I felt a peculiar sense of detachment as if I were an observer rather than a participant in my own life. Then, in an instant, the world went black.

2