Chapter 3
19 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What the actual fuck!" I slam my foot on the brakes as I pull up to the main entrance of the building.

A throng of reporters has converged in the front lobby, cameras clicking and flashing like an erratic light show. Their attention is undeniably focused on my car, capturing it from every angle as if I'm the latest celebrity to arrive on the red carpet.

I let out an exasperated sigh, realizing that driving the Aston Martin might not have been the wisest decision. Just as I'm mulling over the unwanted attention, my phone vibrates in my pocket.

I retrieve my phone and find a message from Veronica, my assistant. Her text advises me to be cautious on my way to work—an odd warning that sets my senses on high alert.

Something's wrong!

I dial Veronica's number, and she answers immediately, her tone laced with concern. "Where are you?"

Suppressing my growing frustration, I respond, "I'm right outside the building. What the fuck is going on?"

Veronica gets straight to the point, her voice tight with gravity. "The news has been leaked."

The weight of her words sinks in. "Leaked? What news?"

"The news of the merger."

My heart quickens as I absorb the implications. Our merger, a confidential and strategic move that was supposed to be shrouded in secrecy, has somehow found its way into the public eye. The consequences of this breach are incalculable. I run a hand through my hair, the frustration and concern mounting with each passing moment.

"How bad is it?"

"All I can say is-"

"Stop!" I yell before she can finish her sentence. "Don't say anything... I need a second..."

I stay quiet for a moment and shut my eyes, taking a moment to calm my nerves. I take a deep breath and slowly exhale, hoping to release the tension that's building on my shoulders.

"Okay, talk," I instruct.

"I was going to say that believe it or not, our stock prices have skyrocketed in the last seven hours."

"Have they?"

"Yes, they have... When you get to your office, David can give you a brief thorough run-through."

I nod in agreement. "Tell him to meet me in my office. I'm coming up right now."

"Will do..."

As the line goes silent, I take another deep breath, bracing myself for the imminent press ambush that awaits me outside.

Don't talk... Don't smile... And keep your eyes on the floor... Just keep walking until you're safe.

SILENCE.

"Let's get this over with..." I pocket my phone and swing open the car door. Immediately, I'm flanked by the ever-present security detail, a silent escort to the front doors of the monumental corporate fortress.

The reporters gathered outside the building seize the moment as I step out of the car, their cameras capturing every detail. A cacophony of questions and comments fills the air, like a swarm of relentless insects buzzing around.

"Mr. Pierce, can you confirm the merger rumors?"

"Are you here to address the leaks, Mr. Pierce?"

"Roman, how will this affect your company's future?"

Ignoring the barrage, I maintain my focus and stride confidently toward the front entrance. Security forms a protective barrier, their presence a constant reminder of the weight of my responsibilities.

We push through the wave of reporters, my ears inundated with the relentless barrage of inquiries. My attention wavers for a moment as I hear them speculating about the merger, weaving stories from incomplete threads of information.

Once past the press gauntlet, I breathe a sigh of relief and continue into the lobby. With each step, I can feel the mounting pressure of the situation. Instead of my usual left turn towards the standard elevators, I proceed straight ahead to the VIP elevator, a fixture I had installed two years ago for moments precisely like today.

Inside the elevator, my fingers fidget nervously as I wait for the doors to part and reveal the chaos that lies on the upper floors. The anticipation gnaws at me, and I can't help but run through various scenarios in my mind, mentally preparing for what awaits on the main floor. This moment carries an unusual weight, a sense of urgency that I can't shake.

As the doors slowly begin to separate, I take a deep breath, trying to steady my racing heart. With each passing second, the tension mounts, and I brace myself for the whirlwind of activity that surely awaits me outside.

As the elevator doors part, the first sight that greets me is Veronica, standing there like a beacon of composure amidst the chaos. Her long, dark hair is tied in a ponytail exuding an innate beauty that's matched only by her unwavering poise and confident demeanor.

A warm smile graces her lips as she greets me. "Good morning, sir. How was your weekend?"

Ignoring her question, I go straight to the point. "Where's David?"

Veronica's expression shifts subtly, a flicker of concern passing through her eyes. "He's waiting for you in your office."

"Good... Follow me."

As Veronica and I walk through the bustling newsroom, she begins to provide a rapid-fire rundown of the morning's developments. Her voice carries a sense of urgency, and I absorb the information as we make our way to my office.

"Sir, the news about the merger leaked early this morning," she informs me, her tone professional and composed despite the chaos around us. "Reporters have been camped outside the building since dawn, waiting for any statement. Our social media channels are buzzing with speculation."

As we continue through the maze of desks and bustling journalists, Veronica's voice remains a constant stream of updates. She mentions the latest headlines, the growing anticipation in the city, and the pressure building on our team to address the situation.

I can't help but marvel at how confidently she navigates the fast-paced environment, delivering concise and articulate reports as we move closer to my office. Memories of her initial days as a shy intern contrast sharply with the poised professional she has become.

Two years ago, when I first crossed paths with her, I could never have imagined that she would evolve into such a crucial cornerstone of my company. While the outside world often perceived me as the sole orchestrator of our operations, the truth was, without her, there would be no show to run.

As we approach the door to my office, Veronica concludes her update. "That's the current state of affairs, sir. We have a meeting scheduled with the legal team in an hour to discuss our next plan of action."

"When is our meeting with the team from Stellar?"

Veronica checks her watch. "We'll be meeting them in about three hours, for lunch."

"We're meeting them for lunch?!"

Veronica nods.

"Why didn't I know this!? Who's idea was this?!"

"It was David's idea, sir."

Fucker... Why does he never run anything past me these days... Is it really that hard to send me a text message?

Fucking prick...

I nod in acknowledgment, appreciating her diligence. "Thank you, Veronica. Get the conference room ready, please... And remind me to look into tightening our security protocols."

With a quick nod, she acknowledges my instructions and rushes back down the corridor.

All right... David is waiting for me... Let's see what's really happening here!

As I step into my office, the sight that greets me is far from the serenity I had hoped for. David lounges comfortably in my chair, feet nonchalantly propped up on my meticulously organized desk. My fists clench instinctively, and I swiftly shut the door behind me.

Clearing my throat, I make my presence known. "What in the world do you think you're doing in my chair?" My tone is firm, bordering on irritation. His sharp gaze meets mine, and he hastily raises his arms in surrender, his face contorting into a sheepish grin.

"Hey there, Roman," he says, his voice laced with a playful tone. "Just keeping your chair warm for you, you know?"

Should I punch him? Maybe that will get him to stop sitting at my desk...

Before I can reach my desk, he's already sprung from the chair, relocating to the couch with the grace of a circus acrobat.

A low curse escapes my lips as I pull out a disinfectant wipe from my drawer. With deliberate care, I clean the spot on my desk where David rested his feet, silently lamenting the intrusion on my carefully maintained space. Once the task is complete, I toss the used wipe into the garbage, smoothing out my suit with a sigh before taking my seat behind the desk.

A heavy, tense silence settles upon the room as David and I lock gazes. Just as I prepare to voice my grievances, he beats me to it.

"Don't worry, bro," David begins, his tone carrying an air of confidence. "I've got this under control."

"Do you?" I lean back in my chair, the tension between us not yet dissipating. Despite his brash demeanor and cavalier attitude, I can't deny that David has a way of managing crises effectively. I contemplate his words, silently acknowledging that perhaps I should give him the chance to elaborate.

"Alright, David," I finally concede, my voice measured. "Let's hear what you've got."

"It was me... I did it!"

I shake my head in confusion. "I'm not following what you're saying?"

David chuckles. "I was the one who leaked news of our merger."

Wait, what?!

"E-Explain y-yourself..." I clasp my hands together in an attempt to calm my nerves. If he doesn't start talking soon... I'm going to do something... Something really bad...

"We both know that the only reason Stellar agreed to negotiate a merger is because of the bad press they've been getting lately with the whole Jasmine scandal... You still with me?"

Breath in... Breath out...

Breath in... Breath out...

I nod but remain quiet. I'm so angry at David, that I'm sure nothing good will come from me speaking...

"Good... Because of the scandal, their stock prices have plummeted in these last couple of months. Despite that fact, they still have leverage over us if we merge because of the size of their company. In order to secure our positions, I figured the best thing to do was to make this go public and have the press fuck with them... Now that the world knows what's happening, they'll be less inclined to pull out of the negotiations... In fact, they're probably going to try to rush these negotiations, which gives us the chance to pull ahead..."

I lean back in my chair and cross my arms. "You're cornering them?"

"Yes, I am! I'm cornering them and soon, Stellar is going to be ours... Fully ours." David crosses his legs and flashes me a wink.

"If the only leverage you have is sending the hounds to get them, I wouldn't call it real leverage..."

"You're right." David practically leaps out of the couch and tosses me his phone. "But this is!"

"What's this?" I say, staring at his phone screen.

"Read it..."

The glow of David's phone screen casts an eerie light in the dimly lit office. As I glance over, my eyes catch a glimpse of something that sends a shockwave through me—a confirmation of stock ownership nestled within an email he's just opened.

My eyes widen in disbelief, and I can't help but look up at David, my heart racing. The words I'm about to utter are caught in my throat, a mix of surprise and concern threatening to spill out. "What... What happened to our long war battle plan...the one we discussed last night?"

"That plan was too complicated," he snorts, his voice laced with an underlying confidence. "I found a simpler way to win the war."

I furrow my brow, trying to make sense of his cryptic words. His explanation begins to unfold as he details how he strategically cornered Stellar, the rival company, and orchestrated a media frenzy to drive down their stock prices. It was a calculated move, one that exploited the weaknesses of our adversary.

With each word he utters, the pieces of the puzzle slot into place. I realize that David had baited Stellar, waiting patiently until their shares plummeted to a critical low point. It was at that moment that he had struck, acquiring a substantial chunk of the company's shares with ruthless efficiency.

My voice trembles with astonishment as I inquire about the extent of his acquisition. "How many shares did you manage to secure?"

A self-satisfied grin tugs at the corners of David's lips as he revels in his audacious triumph. "Thirty-three percent," he declares, his eyes gleaming with a mixture of pride and ambition.

I find myself at a loss for words, my mind struggling to comprehend the enormity of what David has achieved. It's a precarious balance of admiration and fear that courses through me. While I can't help but acknowledge the brilliance of his tactics, I also grapple with the unsettling realization of just how far he's willing to go to achieve his goals.

What am I even thinking?!? Not his goals... Our goals... We started this together and we're finishing this together.

"So, you're telling me that in just a few hours you managed to take over one the largest agencies in the world?!"

"Twelve hours to be precise... Unfortunately, I didn't get a wink of sleep last night."

"Oh shit..." I chuckle. "Try to get some sleep if you can..."

David shakes his head. "No, not yet... We have an important lunch to attend."

"Fuck," I say, leaning back into my chair. "I totally forgot Veronica mentioned that... Wait, what's the point of that lunch if we've already acquired Stellar?"

"Never heard of the word surrender?"

"Huh?"

David stands up and grabs his phone from my desk. "The reason I set up a lunch is because we're going to go and accept their surrender. It's the least we can do after royally fucking them, right?"

"I guess..." I get up from my chair and walk over to the window. As I gaze down below, I can still make out a large crowd of reporters waiting for me outside.

"I promised my mom I'd call her today, so... See you at lunch?" David asks as he begins to head out of my office.

"Wait," I say, just before he reaches the door. "Who helped you?"

David turns around, his lips slowly curling into a grin. "What do you mean?"

"I know you're a badass, but why do I get the feeling someone helped you do this... I mean, pulling off something like this by yourself is impossible..."

"I've always known you're one smart bastard." David opens the door to my office, takes a step, and halts. "You're right... Someone helped me pull this off... I'll tell you all about her during lunch."

Her?!?

Before I can ask anything else, the door closes shut and I'm left alone to think.

2