Chapter 7
19 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lowering my phone, I find Veronica's gaze firmly fixed on me, her curiosity shining through the lingering look in her eyes. It's evident that she wants an explanation, but at this moment, I'm uncertain if I have one.

Fuck my life...

What should I do? What should I say?

As I contemplate the best course of action, I come to the realization that there's no scenario where I don't end up coming across as a complete jerk... All I know is that Veronica's here, and I don't want to make her feel uncomfortable or unwelcome. On the other hand, Natalie's waiting for me downstairs, and I can't just leave her hanging. I find myself in a genuine dilemma...

Maybe, if I act chill, things will play out rather calmly... I mean, why shouldn't they, right? What's the worst that can happen?

"Veronica, there's something I should've told you earlier," I begin, my tone apologetic. "I actually have someone waiting for me downstairs. We made plans earlier, and I completely forgot about it until now..."

"Oh, um, who are you meeting?" Her gaze falters momentarily, her fingers unconsciously playing with the strap of her purse.

For a brief moment, I find myself caught off guard, my thoughts jumbled as I contemplate how to respond without making her feel uncomfortable. Veronica has surprised me today, and I don't want to ruin the pleasant atmosphere that has enveloped our interaction.

"It's just someone I haven't seen in a while," I say, hoping my tone conveys that the meeting isn't anything too significant.

Veronica takes a deep breath, her shoulders slumping as she exhales. "I see... I should get going, then. I apologize for coming announced, I didn't mean to intrude or disrupt your evening."

"You have nothing to apologize for... I genuinely enjoyed our conversation, and your visit was a pleasant surprise."

She nods, offering a shy smile. "Thank you for your understanding. I'll leave you to your friend, then."

As she stands to leave, a part of me registers her subtle reaction - the slight reddening of her cheeks and the way she's avoiding my gaze incisively.

Maybe my instincts weren't wrong... Maybe she does like me...

"Veronica, hang on a sec," I say, my tone carrying a note of apology as she reaches for the door, ready to leave my apartment.

She turns to look at me, her expression marked with confusion. "Yes?"

I step closer, closing the gap between us. "I'm actually heading down too, mind if I tag along?"

A delicate blush creeps over Veronica's cheeks. I can't help but find it endearing, the way she reacts to my simple request. "Yeah, sure."

We walk in tandem to the elevator, sharing the confined space as the doors slide shut. The atmosphere is a mix of comfort and an undeniable tension that buzzes between us. I steal a glance at her, and it's clear that she feels it too.

As the elevator begins its descent, I notice that Veronica pressed the button for the underground parking lot. "You drove here?"

"Yeah... Haven't used my car in a while, so I figured I'd take it out for a spin."

"That's nice," I say, looking up at the screen to check what floor we're in. "I didn't know you had a car."

"There's a lot of things you don't know about me," Veronica says, grabbing the car keys from her purse.

My gaze drops to meet Veronica's, and for a fleeting moment, time seems to stand still. Her eyes hold a depth of emotion that leaves me breathless. It's a look I've encountered a handful of times in my life. Her gaze is attentive and filled with vulnerability. It's as if she's laying her heart bare with that one look.

In that intense, wordless exchange, any doubts that may have lingered in my mind evaporate. It's undeniable now-Veronica likes me. The revelation is a pleasant surprise, but it leaves me with a whirlwind of emotions.

In the two years, she's worked as my assistant, not once have I sensed these kinds of emotions from her. So when did it start? How long has she felt this way? And why just now, has she decided to express these feelings?

With dozens of questions swirling in my mind, I find myself in a sort of trance, caught in the electric air between us. It's a charged silence, thick with unspoken words and the weight of unexplored feelings. I can't help but smile softly, my heart a fluttering mess of uncertainty and anticipation.

Guess there's only one way I'm going to get answers.

Just as I open my mouth to speak, the soft chime of the elevator rings and the doors glide open. Blinking in surprise, I realize we've reached the lobby, and my gaze is drawn almost immediately to the sight of Natalie sitting on one of the couches in the lounge.

Thankfully, she's not wearing the dark seductive dress from earlier today, which seemed to hug every curve in her body. Instead, she's wearing a dark leather jacket and dark ripped jeans. Her long, golden hair falls freely, like sunbeams entangled in strands of chestnut brown, a detail that draws my attention like a magnet.

I dig the leather jacket...

Her gaze remains locked on the phone in her hands, seemingly unaware of my presence. I'm caught in a blend of fascination and intrigue as if I've stumbled upon a hidden facet of her persona. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that she's all grown up. Who would have imagined that the silly, messy-haired, girl I used to play with when we were kids, would grow up to be so pretty?

Veronica clears her throat, her voice cutting through the swirling maelstrom of thoughts in my head. "Roman?"

"Y-Yeah?"

"Were you going to say something?" Her question hangs in the air, a gentle nudge for my response.

I gaze down at Veronica, her warm brown eyes expectant, waiting for a response. But as I try to formulate an answer, I find my mind inexplicably blank. The words I'd intended to say have vanished like a wisp of smoke, and I'm left grasping for them, feeling strangely vulnerable.

Fuck...

An irritated wave of frustration washes over me, and I clench my fists at my sides. It's maddening how easily I become ensnared in my own thoughts, especially when faced with my past. Even though I know fully well that it's not Madeleine but her younger sister sitting on that couch, I'm enraged by the effect that set of hair has on me. It's a reaction that both confuses and annoys me, as though some dormant part of me has been awakened.

With a silent internal admonishment, I collect myself, pushing the chaotic swirl of emotions aside. "Oh, yeah... I was just going to tell you to drive safely on your way home."

"Oh... Okay."

"Goodnight, Veronica," I murmur, my voice carrying a tinge of regret as I step out of the elevator. The simple word lingers in the air, echoing with the unspoken complexity of the moment. I know that if I don't leave now, I might end up saying something stupid.

"Goodnight, Roman." The elevator doors shut, leaving a somber silence in the air.

I turn my attention back to Natalie, who's just spotted me. "What took you so long?"

I lock eyes with Natalie as she gracefully approaches me. The resemblance to her sister is undeniable, but it's in the subtle differences that she becomes her own unique presence. I'm caught in this strange dichotomy of familiarity and novelty, unable to articulate the whirlwind of emotions swirling within me.

How can she be so similar, yet so different from her sister...

Caught in my thoughts, I don't immediately register her chuckling voice as she calls my attention. "Earth to Roman, lost in thought again?" she teases, a playful glint in her eyes.

"Sorry..." I offer a sheepish grin in response to her gentle teasing. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel disturbed by her unexpected entrance into my life. I don't think she realizes the amount of memories her presence has resurrected. It's like she's opened Pandora's box, but the only one who gets fucked is me...

Her laugh dances through the air, and I'm pulled back to the present. "You're not on drugs, are you?"

I chuckle at her candidness, appreciating her ability to break the ice. "No, no drugs. Just tired."

As we make our way to the elevator, I motion for her to join me. The elevator door slides open, revealing the metallic interior, and I step inside, holding the door for Natalie.

"Thanks," she smiles.

"No problem."

With her inside, the elevator doors close, and we're enclosed in a small, private space. Natalie breaks the silence with a question. "So, what floor are we headed to?" Her curiosity is evident, yet there's a sense of ease in her presence that makes me feel more relaxed.

A sly grin curves my lips as I reach to press the button for the penthouse floor. "We're going all the way up."

"You trying to show off or something?" Natalie teases, shaking her head playfully. Her eyes twinkle with amusement as she surveys the elevator's buttons.

"No, not really..." Natalie's teasing comment earns her a playful eye roll from me.

"So, how long have you lived here?" she asks, genuine curiosity gleaming in her voice.

"In this building?"

Natalie nods.

Memories of the past few years flood my mind as I reflect on the journey that brought me here. The decision to buy this penthouse came after my company transitioned from our old warehouse to a sleek downtown office. "I've lived here for just over three years."

Natalie nods, her interest piqued. "Three years, huh?

"Yes, ma'am."

"You know, now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever been to a penthouse before." Her excitement is palpable, and it's endearing to see her enthusiasm.

A warm smile spreads across my face. "I'll do my best to make your first penthouse experience enjoyable."

As silence starts to fall between us, I seize the opportunity to keep the conversation flowing. "How long have you been living in New York?"

Her gaze turns introspective for a moment before she replies. "I moved to New York about four years ago..."

"Four years ago, huh? What made you want to move to New York?"

"The best law schools in the country are in New York."

"Really?" I say, rubbing my chin thoughtfully. "I thought Harvard was the best law school?"

Natalie chuckles and shakes her head. "Not better than NYU."

"Only someone who went to NYU would say that... You went to NYU?"

Natalie meets my gaze, her eyes revealing a spark of pride. "Yes, I did!"

"You studied law at NYU?!"

"YEP!"

I can't help but be impressed. NYU is a prestigious institution, and the fact that she graduated from there, speaks volumes about her dedication and intelligence. "That's amazing... I'm proud of you."

"Yeah, it's something..." Natalie smiles before nudging my shoulder. "But, it's nothing compared to what you've accomplished."

Before I can utter a response, the elevator doors slide open with a gentle whoosh, and Natalie bolts out with youthful enthusiasm.

Really?

I trail after her, amused by her boundless energy, and find her standing before the expansive window in the living room. She presses her face against the glass, her eyes wide as she gazes down upon the city sprawled beneath us.

"The view from up here is amazing," she exclaims, her voice tinged with wonder.

I stand a few feet away, observing her with a mix of emotions. Despite the years that have passed and the changes that have shaped us, I can still see glimpses of the little girl I once knew. Her enthusiasm is infectious, and it warms something inside me that I thought had long grown cold.

It's an odd feeling, seeing her like this after all this time. The surge of nostalgia, the unexpected rush of emotions-it's like reuniting with a long-lost friend. A part of me feels endeared, protective even, as I watch her. She's older, taller, and undoubtedly more mature, yet she retains that same spirit that I remember.

Snap out of it, Roman! Don't forget that she's hiding something!!!

I take a deep breath, hoping to pull some sense into myself. It's obvious that everything that happened today wasn't a mere coincidence, and I can't let nostalgia cloud my judgment. Natalie being here means something, and I can't afford to forget that.

I lean against the wall, crossing my arms as I quietly observe her. I know better than to underestimate her or her motives. I'm confident that she didn't help me acquire StellarTalent out of sheer goodness of heart; that much is clear... There's an agenda at play, a purpose behind her actions, and I intend to unravel it.

I don't care that we have a shared past, or that we're from the same hometown. All of that is irrelevant. If I get even the smallest suspicion that she's trying to hurt me or my company, I'll crush her. I'll end her career and personally make sure she never practices law again...

I know I might seem heartless and cold, but this is who I am now. I'm not the same person I was ten years ago. I'm no longer the stupid fat kid who'd let just about anyone walk over him... I killed him... I destroyed him...

This unexpected encounter might have rekindled a connection, but I won't let sentimentality blind me to whatever lies beneath the surface.

Natalie turns away from the window and takes a deep breath, her lithe form sinking onto the couch cushions. She gazes up at me, her eyes expectant. "Now that I've checked out the view, I'm ready to hear why you forced me to come here today."

I clear my throat, momentarily averting my gaze as I approach the small cabinet under my TV. My silence is palpable as my fingers retrieve a glass and a bottle of rum. If I'm going to do this, I might as well get some alcohol in me...

"You should already have a few ideas as to why I asked you to come," I finally respond, my voice measured.

Natalie sighs, and I can see the flicker of irritation behind her calm exterior. I can't tell if she's actually annoyed or if she's just putting on an act. Regardless, I realize that I can't lower my guard around her. "I can certainly think of a couple of reasons why you'd want to talk to me, but I'd rather not make assumptions. I'd prefer to hear it directly from you, Roman."

I pour myself a glass of rum, filling it halfway. I've never been one to beat around the bush, and this conversation should be no exception. "Why did you help me acquire StellarTalent?"

"Actually, Roman, it was David I helped, not you." She snorts lightly, her lips curling into a wry smile.

"I'd rather not play games," I retort, my words carrying a sense of urgency. "I need to know your motivation behind this. Why help David? Why involve yourself in this business deal? Why involve yourself with me?"

"You know, I really don't like repeating myself... Is it really that hard to believe that I was just helping a friend?"

"Yes," I say, taking a step forward. "Want to know why?"

"Why?"

"Because anyone with half a brain and a phone can easily read about how David and I built this company from the ground up... You can't possibly expect me to believe that you came into this not knowing how close David was to me?"

Natalie sighs. "Don't put words into my mouth, Roman."

"So you admit it, right?" I place the glass down and kneel next to her.

"Admit what?"

"That you knew David was connected to me."

"Of course, I knew." Natalie leans back onto the couch and crosses her arms. "Regardless, that doesn't mean that I reached out to him, just to meet you..."

"Really?

"Yes, Roman... The world doesn't revolve around you, you know."

The hint of red on Natalie's cheeks doesn't escape my notice as our eyes meet. Whether her blush is due to my proximity or the uncomfortable conversation we're embroiled in, I can't be sure. But right now, it's a sign of vulnerability that I can work with. This is my chance to unravel the secrets she's been concealing, while I have the upper hand.

Gently, I reach for her hands, which have been nervously clutching her crossed arms. The surprise in her gaze is evident as I draw closer, our faces mere inches apart. It's a bold move, one she clearly didn't anticipate.

"All I want from you is honesty, Natalie," I say, my tone soft yet fervent. "You might not believe it, but it would hurt me to discover that you've been keeping things from me. I know we haven't seen each other in a very long time, but still, we've known each other since childhood. That means something, right?"

Natalie remains silent, her gaze flickering with a blend of emotions. I can't help but feel a pang of guilt for using our shared past as leverage. I know very well that I'm manipulating her, but regardless, I forge ahead. I'm not going to stop until I'm certain I know everything.

"If there's something you need help with, you can tell me," I say, my grip on her hand tightening ever so slightly. "You don't need to do things for me, to make me care about you. Every day, I deal with people-friends and foes alike. Many envy me and wish for my failure. Did you know that almost everyone in my life is a two-faced liar... I hope you're not one of them."

The silence hangs heavy between us, our eyes locked in a quiet battle of wills. I can feel the tension in the air, a taut wire ready to snap. And then, like a hesitant surrender, Natalie sighs and bows her head. Her confession comes out in a whisper, heavy with the weight of her admission. "You were right... I helped David in order to help you."

The question that's been gnawing at me since her unexpected appearance escapes my lips without hesitation. "Why?"

Natalie's eyes widen momentarily, and for that brief moment, I catch a flicker of fear. "I had a request to make... I knew that my best chance of getting you to agree was if you were in my debt."

A knowing smile plays on my lips, though beneath the surface, my emotions remain in turmoil. Natalie's confession has opened up a world of curiosity and apprehension within me. I grasp the unspoken implications of her words, and the weight of this impending debt gnaws at the edges of my mind. Whatever her request, it must be big. Really big...

"What's the request?"

"There's something I need to tell you first." Natalie moves her hand away from mine and leans back. "But, you have to promise me you won't get angry."

This has to be a joke... Is she fucking with me!?

Suppressing any rising irritation and worry, I place a comforting hand on her shoulder. "I'll do my best to stay calm. You can tell me anything."

"Do you promise?"

"I promise."

"Okay, then," she says, her voice trembling ever so slightly. Her breath quivers as she exhales, and her eyes, a cryptic blend of pity and sorrow, lock onto mine. A shiver of unease runs down my spine. The weight of her gaze gnaws at my curiosity, like a locked door with an unknown mystery behind it.

What is she hiding from me!?

With a deliberate clearing of her throat, Natalie embarks on her revelation, her tone weighted with solemnity. "My older sister," she begins slowly, her words hanging in the air like a fragile secret, "is getting married in three weeks."

2