Chapter 9
16 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My phone vibrates on the coffee table for the seventh time in the last four minutes. I finally decide to answer so I can tell David to fuck off.

"Why the fuck do you keep calling?!" I bark into the speaker.

"Guess somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed..."

I roll my eyes. "What do you want?"

"Why aren't you in the office? I've been looking for you all morning!"

"Did you not see my text last night?" I glance up, catching the waitress's arrival as she places my smoothie on the table. I hand her a fifty-dollar bill and with a nod, let her keep the change.

"You texted me last night?" David asks, sounding unsure.

"Yes, I did."

"What did you text me?"

"I mentioned I'd be picking up my brother today." With my smoothie in hand, I make my way out of the coffee shop. My gaze drifts to the large TV on the wall, which displays a notification that my brother's flight just landed a couple of minutes ago.

"Luke is coming to New York?!"

"Yes..."

"That's great. How long is he staying?"

I take a sip of my mango smoothie. "A few days. He's got some internship interviews lined up."

"That's nice..." I hear David complain to someone in the background.

"Is everything okay?"

David chuckles. "Yeah, my computer hasn't been working ever since the software update last night... The tech guy is fixing it right now."

"I see." I look up and notice that I've arrived at the designated gate for my brother's flight. Deciding that I don't want to garner any unwanted attention, I decide to hang toward the back, behind the other dozen or so people waiting for their loved ones. The last thing I need is to get recognized or mobbed.

"Why don't you tell your brother to work for our company? Isn't he studying business or something? I'm sure we could find a suitable position for him..."

I shake my head and take another sip of my smoothie. "I don't think he'd go for it."

"Why is that?"

"Because he doesn't want me to be his boss."

"He's starting to sound more like you every day," David snorts. "You should try and convince him though... I'd hate to see him get an internship where his job is to go on coffee runs all day."

As I'm about to reply to David, I feel a set of eyes fixed on me. The sense of being watched sends a subtle shiver down my spine. I glance around and notice a redheaded girl looking at me. She's openly staring at me, not even attempting to be discreet. Judging by the cardigan she's wearing, she's probably a freshman in college.

Hoping to escape her inquisitive attention, I take a step back, but her gaze remains locked on me. She leans in to whisper something to her friends, and just as I'd feared, they all turn to look at me. They huddle together, whispering animatedly and occasionally glancing in my direction.

My fists clench as it dawns on me that they might have recognized me. The last thing I need right now is to be the subject of their attention.

"Roman? You still there?" David's voice snaps me back to the present.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I think some people just recognized me."

"Are you seriously walking in public? Why didn't you wait in the car!?"

"Maybe I should have-" Before I finish my sentence, my focus shifts back to the college girls who have begun walking toward me. The redhead, who seems to be their fearless leader, clears her throat to get my attention.

"Excuse me, sir," she says. "Do you mind if I ask you a question?"

"I'll call you later," I say to David and hang up.

The redhead looks at her friends who nod in support. "By any chance, are you Roman Pierce?"

I raise an eyebrow and shake my head slightly. "No, you must be mistaken."

She responds with a chuckle, clearly unimpressed by my denial. "I'm pretty sure I'm not mistaken."

"You can't hide from us!" Says one of the other girls in the group. I turn my head and watch as a girl with brown hair holds up her phone, displaying a picture of me from the internet.

Fuck...

A low curse escapes my lips. These girls are causing a scene, and now, people around the airport are beginning to notice. I glance around and see curious onlookers, their eyes fixed on me. This isn't how I wanted to start my day.

"Look, I appreciate the enthusiasm," I begin, trying to sound polite. "But you've got the wrong person. I'm not Roman Pierce."

The college girls exchange knowing glances and then one of them, a blonde, chimes in, "If you really aren't Roman Pierce, then show us some ID. Prove it."

"I don't have to show you shit..."

"Then how do we know you aren't Roman Pierce?"

"Because I fucking say so..."

Noticing my anger, the redhead closes the distance between us and takes hold of my hand. "Come on, Mr. Pierce, don't be so shy. We're just big fans. Can we get a selfie?"

My patience wanes as her friends eagerly ready their phones for a photo. I can already envision this turning into a full-blown circus. Reluctantly, I agree to a quick picture, hoping they'll leave me alone afterward.

The girls huddle around me, smartphones at the ready, their giggles growing more irritating by the second. I force a polite smile for the camera, wishing I could escape this awkward situation.

As soon as the photos are taken, the girls thank me and move on, their excitement undiminished. I breathe a sigh of relief, glad to have put an end to the impromptu photo session. It seems the ever-watchful eye of the media and paparazzi is not the only thing I have to worry about.

"That was quite the scene!" My heart leaps as Luke's voice surprises me. I turn to see him, a bright grin adorning his face, his eyes sparkling with excitement. 

A wide smile breaks across my face, and I pull him into a hug, an unfamiliar warmth flooding over me. "Look at you," I exclaim, my voice filled with amazement. "You're taller than me now!"

I release Luke and step back, studying him with a mix of pride and amazement. He's grown taller than I'd anticipated, the frame of a college student clearly etched in his appearance. He's sporting jeans and a hoodie, and his long hair is tied back in a neat ponytail. A smattering of stubble frames his face, and the same mischief sparkles in his eyes, reminiscent of the younger brother I once knew.

"How's college treating you?" I ask, trying to contain my pride. It's surreal to see him as an adult. The last time I saw him was when I took him to London for his fifteenth birthday.

Luke shrugs nonchalantly, a glint of excitement flickering in his eyes. "It's been a rollercoaster. Classes are alright, but the parties? Man, you wouldn't believe it!"

I can't help but laugh as I picture Luke living the college life I mostly missed out on. I was in college when I first started working on my website, which eventually grew into the company it is today. Even though I was making loads of money back then, it also meant I missed out on most of the typical college experiences.

As we make our way to the parking lot, I listen to Luke recount tales of his first year. He shares stories of professors, roommates, and late-night adventures, and I find myself feeling guilty for being absent from his life these last couple of years. Especially these last two years. If I hadn't fought with our mother, I would've been much more involved in his life.

We finally arrive at the parking lot, and I can't help but feel a sense of pride as I see Luke's awestruck expression when he spots the Aston Martin. He approaches the car and runs his hand through his long hair, his eyes wide in disbelief.

"You drove in that?" Luke gasps, awe written all over his face.

I nod. "Do you like it?"

"I love this car!" Luke's excitement is contagious as he marvels at the car. "I can't believe you're driving the kind of car I've only seen in Bond movies. Is it yours?"

"Unfortunately not," I reply, opening the door to the driver's seat. "David lost a bet, so he gave me his car for a month."

"Typical David... By the way, how's he doing these days? I heard he broke up with his girlfriend or something?"

"How do you know that?!"

Luke snorts as he slides into the passenger seat. "His girlfriend is a Playboy model! Everybody knows she's single these days."

"Makes sense..."

The drive to Manhattan stretches out before me, a winding journey down the familiar highway. Luke talks about life back home, the quaint and simple stories of a small town that used to be my whole world. He tells me that our first-grade teacher, Mrs. Armstrong, has moved into the house across the street from ours. I can almost picture the little red-brick house, its neat lawn and white picket fence. He shares news about his best friend, Owen, who's started working at his dad's car shop. The details he provides about their lives and other names he mentions, spark a strange sense of nostalgia within me. I haven't heard these names in years.

"What do you think about Mom's engagement?" Luke suddenly asks, searching my face for any signs of emotion. It's clear that he wants to know how I feel about our mother's upcoming marriage.

I meet his gaze for a moment before my eyes return to the road. I release a heavy sigh, the weight of my thoughts pressing down on me. Luke's gaze remains fixed on me, waiting, searching for an answer he's been trying to elicit from me for years. I know he wants me to mend things with our mother, to heal the rift that's grown between us.

"I'm happy for her," I state, my voice calm and composed. "I'm happy that she's found someone who makes her feel good."

Luke's eyes widen in shock at my response. "Are you fucking with me, Roman?"

"No, I'm not." I shake my head as I keep my eyes on the road.  "I'm honestly happy for her."

The relief in Luke's expression is palpable. He chuckles softly, and I can almost hear the smile in his voice. "You know, this is the first time you haven't gotten angry when I brought up Mom."

A wry smile tugs at my lips, and I loosen my grip on the steering wheel. "What can I say? I guess I've matured."

"What happened to the short-tempered brother I know? What did you do to him!?"

I chuckle. "If you keep pestering me, I'll change my mind."

"Ok, ok... I'll lay back for now."

"Thank you!"

As I pull up to the front of the office, I feel a strange mix of emotions rolling in my head. It's obvious that a new chapter is about to begin for our family, and I can't help but feel that perhaps there's no place for me in it. It's been years since I segregated myself and made a life of my own. My family did the same... Despite the sense of doubt gnawing at me, seeing the relief in Luke's eyes, I know that for now, I've made the correct choice.

"Is this your new office?" Luke asks as he steps out of the car. His eyes widen in disbelief as he looks up, amazed by the height of the building.

"It sure is." I slap the back of his head and gesture to him to follow.

"Why are we here, Roman?"

"There's a couple of things I need to do. Won't take too long... I also thought it'd be nice for you to check out the place, eh?"

"Oh, okay..."

I pull my phone out as we step into the elevator and send David a text to meet me in my office.

"I liked the old office more," Luke suddenly says. "It seemed more retro. It felt more organic if that makes any sense..."

"Really?"

"Yeah, dude."

"What don't you like about the new office?"

Luke chuckles and shrugs. "It's not that I don't like it... It just feels very corporate."

"I see... I still think you'll find this place cool once you find your way around."

"Guess we'll find out."

The elevator doors swing open, and I can't help but be amused by Luke's wide-eyed wonder as he takes in the vibrant atmosphere of the bustling newsroom. The place is abuzz with activity, reporters huddled in front of screens, and an overall air of controlled chaos. The clatter of keyboards and hushed conversations fills the air.

"This place is wild," Luke remarks, clearly amazed.

"If you think this is wild, just wait until you witness the madness during election season." I hear the sound of heels clicking on the floor, and I turn to find Veronica approaching.

Though a friendly smile graces her lips, I can't help feeling a twinge of unease. I feel guilty. Last night, I kicked her out of my house after she came to check on me.

"Good morning," I greet her, attempting to keep the awkwardness at bay.

"Good morning, sir."

Shit... I've been demoted. She's calling me 'sir' again...

"Who is that?!" Luke exclaims, his eyes locking on to my assistant. Ex-assistant... His curiosity is evident. He wants to know who she is, and I can't blame him for that. After all, it's not every day you meet a woman as beautiful and elegant as her.

Before I can provide an answer, Veronica takes the initiative and steps closer to Luke. Her warm smile remains, but her eyes flicker with mirth as she extends a hand toward my brother. "Hi, I'm Veronica. I'm the head of the marketing team here."

The color drains from Luke's face, and I can practically feel the nervous energy emanating from him. My worry intensifies as he remains silent, unable to articulate a proper response.

What the fuck is he doing? Has he never been around beautiful women?!

"I'm Luke," he finally says. "Roman's younger brother."

Veronica's laughter is a melodic sound as she takes Luke's hand in a firm handshake. She leans in, her tone light and friendly. "It's nice to finally meet someone from Roman's family."

"Are you two dating?" Luke suddenly asks.

Does this kid have a death wish?!

I clench my fists, resisting the urge to glare at my brother. If it wasn't for Veronica, I would have put him in a headlock and beaten some sense into him.

Veronica's laughter fills the air as she shakes her head. "Oh, no... Roman and I are just work friends."

Work friends?

"That's a relief!" Luke exclaims, running a hand through his hair. "I mean- er, someone as nice as you shouldn't be with a cold bloke like Roman...."

Fucking prick...

"I agree with Luke!" I hear someone say.

I snap my head back and watch as Natalie steps out of the elevator. She smiles at us and for some reason, I can't seem to keep my eyes off the blue dress she's wearing.

"It'd be a real shame if a sweet girl like her ended up with a heartless son of a..." Natalie's voice trails off as she walks past me, utterly ignoring my presence.

2