Chapter 11
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

By the time we get to my apartment complex, Natalie is completely and utterly asleep. She didn’t even last three minutes in the car before she nodded off.

So much for wanting to talk…

“Dude, what’s going on?” Luke asks, rushing out of the lobby.

I put out my cigarette and nod to the back of the SUV. “It’s better if you see for yourself.”

Luke’s eyes widen as he opens the car door. “What the fuck? What is Natalie doing here?!”

“She passed out.”

“I can see that. What happened?”

“I’ll explain later.” I clear my throat and begin to stretch my arms. “I’m going to need your help bringing her upstairs.”

“Oh, ok…”

“Sir, I can help if you’d like?” George inquires, stepping forward.

I wave him off. “It’s fine George. It’s already late, you should head home to your family.”

“Are you sure, sir?”

“Yeah,” I reply, redirecting my gaze back to Natalie. “I think I can handle this on my own.”

With a deep breath, I roll up my sleeves, the cool night air grazing my skin. Slowly and carefully, I lift her into my arms, feeling the weight of her body press against me.

As I carry her out of the car, her head suddenly shifts toward me, nuzzling against my arm. For a moment, I find myself captivated by the peaceful look on her face. Her chest rises and falls in a rhythm that mirrors the tranquillity of a newborn’s breath. The scent of lavender from her hair wafts towards me, and her skin feels remarkably smooth against my touch.

“Everything alright, Roman?” Luke’s voice cuts through my reverie, his concern evident in his expression.

I swallow hard, tearing my gaze away from Natalie. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

With Natalie cradled in my arms, we navigate through the lobby, drawing glances from a few residents. I try to keep my focus on the task at hand, attempting to disregard the growing curiosity around us. Fortunately, considering the late hour, there aren’t many people hanging around.

“So, why’d you bring her here?” Luke asks as the elevator doors shut.

I sigh, preparing to explain a decision that even I find ridiculous. “I don’t know where she lives.”

Luke raises an eyebrow. “Shouldn’t you have that information? You’re her employer.”

“I’ve got nearly a thousand employees, Luke… You think I know where they all live?”

The elevator hums to life, carrying us upward. The soft glow of the panel illuminates Luke’s face as he contemplates my words. “But bringing her to the apartment? That’s a bit… personal, isn’t it?”

“What should I have done? Left her in the bar by herself!?”

“No, of course not…”

“Good,” I say. “We agree, then.”

As we step out of the elevator to the quiet expanse of my penthouse floor, Luke turns to me. “Where will she sleep?”

“In one of the guest rooms,” I reply as we approach the front door. “The key, Luke… It’s in my left pocket.”

Luke nods, reaching for the keycard and unlocks the door to the penthouse. The soft glow of my apartment spills out into the hallway, and I carry her inside.

“She’s going to be happy to wake up in this house tomorrow,” Luke chuckles as he closes the door behind me.

Ignoring his comment, I carry Natalie to the nearest guest room. The large, comfortable bed awaits, and I gently lay her down, arranging the covers around her.

As I straighten my back, a soft chuckle escapes me as I glance down at Natalie. It’s astonishing how she’s still asleep. I kind of expected her to wake up at some point on our way up. At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was an earthquake, and she remained peacefully undisturbed.

Luke clears his throat. “So, what now?”

I run a hand through my hair, contemplating the situation. “I guess we let her sleep it off. She’ll probably have a hell of a headache in the morning.”

“Are you going to stay with her all night?” Luke asks, a hint of amusement in his tone.

I shoot him a glare. “Don’t be ridiculous. Once I get her some water, I’ll leave her alone.”

“Really?”

“Yes!”

I head to the kitchen and grab a bottle of water from the fridge. Luke trails after me, curiosity etched on his face. “So, you gonna tell me what happened?”

“No.”

“Please?”

I roll my eyes and let out a resigned sigh. Even though I couldn’t give two shits what my brother thinks, I also don’t want him to misunderstand the situation. God knows how many people he’ll talk to if he thinks there’s something going on between Natalie and me. “Whatever I tell you, stays between us, got it?”

“Cross my heart, hope to die,” Luke smiles.

“Very well, then,” I concede and begin to fill Luke in on the details. As I recount the events, starting with the phone call I got from Natalie, I start to notice Luke’s eyes narrow slightly. There’s an undertone of skepticism, and it’s rubbing me the wrong way. At first, I attempt to brush it off, but as his gaze intensifies, a spark of frustration ignites within me.

“Why are you looking at me like that!?”

“It seems you’ve got a soft spot for her, Roman,” Luke chuckles. “Honestly, I’m impressed you bothered to lend a hand. Nice to see you showing some care for someone other than yourself.”

This fucking prick…

I scoff, avoiding eye contact. “Stop spewing bullshit… I just didn’t want her passing out in some random place. It wouldn’t exactly be good for the company’s image, you know.”

Luke grins but doesn’t press further. “Whatever you say, bro… I’m gonna head to my room. I think it’s about time I call it a night.”

“I think so too, fuck face.”

“Goodnight, Roman,” my brother chuckles, vanishing around the corner. I can practically visualize the grin on his face as I hear the door close, and I shake my head in disbelief. With Luke’s knack for curiosity, I’m sure he’ll be tailing me tomorrow, sniffing around for more information. Once that fucker sets his mind to something, there’s nothing on this planet that can stop him.

Fuck it, there’s no use in worrying about it now… That’s a problem for tomorrow.

Making sure not to make noise, I return to the bedroom, carefully setting the bottle of water on the bedside table. As I start to turn toward Natalie, I hear her stir beneath the covers, uttering a few unintelligible words. Or so I think.

Curious, I lean in to hear what she’s saying, but I hear nothing. From the looks of it, she’s sound asleep.

I could have sworn I heard her talking…

Realizing that I must have imagined it, I decide it’s best not to linger. Just as I rise to leave, a sudden and robust grip seizes my hand, abruptly pulling me back down. The surprising force startles me, leaving me momentarily anchored by the unexpected hold.

What the fuck!?!

Natalie’s fingers intertwine with mine, a surprisingly firm hold considering her half-asleep state. I turn back, my gaze meeting hers, and for a moment, time seems to freeze. Her eyes, still heavy with sleep, lock onto mine with an intensity that catches me off guard.

“I’m sorry,” she whispers, her voice a fragile thread in the quiet room.

I blink a couple of times, unsure of what to make. “What… what did you say?”

“Sorry,” she mumbles again, her voice barely audible.

Confusion lingers in my eyes as I attempt to understand the sudden shift in her demeanour. “What are you sorry for?”

She doesn’t respond immediately, but her sleep-laden eyes convey a sense of vulnerability that pierces through my own defences. Ignoring my question, she continues to murmur apologies.

Why isn’t she answering my questions?! Unless…

I let out a sigh and bury my face in one of the pillows as I realize she’s still asleep. She was never speaking to me in the first place. She’s having a nightmare.

“I’m so, so, sorry…” I hear her sob, her grip on my hand tightening.

“Shh, it’s okay,” I reassure her softly. As she starts to cry, I can’t help but feel a tug of sympathy.

Without a second thought, I reach for the tissues on the bedside table, gently wiping away her tears. The dim light in the room casts a soft glow on her face, and for a moment, time seems to slow down.

What kind of nightmare is she having to make her cry this much?

Tucking a loose strand of hair behind Natalie’s ear, I continue whispering soothing words, attempting to calm whatever turmoil is haunting her dreams. It’s clear that she’s dealt with trauma in her life, and for some reason, I find myself compelled to help.

 

 

My eyes snap open when I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket. Judging by how dark it’s outside, I realize it’s early. Very early.

“Hello?” I groan as I place the phone near my ear.

“Roman?” I hear someone ask.

“Yes?”

“Oh, thank fuck you answered,” David sighs. “I was worried you wouldn’t be awake…”

I clench my fists, feeling my exhaustion creeping in. “What the fuck do you want?”

“I’m afraid we have a problem, Roman,” David reveals.

I roll my eyes and force myself out of bed. “What problem?”

“Do you know who Jessica Brooks is?” David asks.

“I don’t think so.”

David lets out another sigh. “Of course you don’t… Do you remember that redhead who won America’s Got Talent like five years ago?”

“I think…”

“Well, she signed with Stellar Talent about three years ago.”

I head to the bathroom and splash my face with water, hoping it’ll help wake me up. “That’s nice… So what’s the problem with Julia?”

I hear David snort. “Jessica! Her name is Jessica… The problem with Jessica is that her contract with Stellar is set to end in a couple of months, and I just got word that she’s planning on signing with another agency.”

“So what?”

“Dude, do you even know how big of an artist Jessica is?”

I shake my head. “No, I don’t.”

“She has a bigger following than Rihanna!” David exclaims. “The point is, for the last two years, she’s been the most profitable artist in the agency. We absolutely can’t let her go.”

I turn on the shower and head to my closet. I look around for a couple of seconds, before deciding on agreysuit. “I hear you loud and clear, buddy. I’m sure someone from Stellar can figure this out.”

“No, they can’t!”

“And why is that?”

“Because Jessica hates Stellar with all her heart. Given the recent negative publicity surrounding their former CEO, my team believes it’d be more prudent for you to handle this matter personally. If anyone can convince her to sign with us, it’s you!”

“Bullshit,” I yell, kicking over my laundry basket. “Why can’t you handle this?!”

“Listen, I know you might not like the responsibility, but you’re the CEO now. For this to work, we need to show Jessica that our company values her,” David explains.

“I sure as shit don’t,” I snort.

David sighs. “You know damn well I wouldn’t have called you if this wasn’t serious, Roman.”

As I step back into the bathroom, I stare at running water. Although I don’t want to admit it, I know David is right. In all the years we’ve known each other, there’s only been two or three instances where he’s done something like this. If he’s asking for help, it means it’s serious.

“Fine, I’ll take care of it,” I say after a moment. “Where can I find this Jessica girl?”

“She’s in Paris.”

I curse under my breath. “Can you call Gary and tell him to get the jet ready?”

“Will do.”

“I also want our team of lawyers on a plane to France in the next few hours. Can you spread the message?”

“Got it.”

“Good. I’m gonna go get ready.” I hang up and toss my phone on the bed.

As I step under the showerhead, I hear myself chuckle as a small plan begins to form in my mind. This trip could be the perfect opportunity to find out what Natalie’s been hiding from me. Ever since the night of our argument, I’ve been speculating about a number of things she said to me. Things that she couldn’t have possibly known.

The first thing I need to determine is how she knew about my feelings for her sister. Those were thoughts I only voiced once in my life, and it wasn’t to her. Two days ago, when I questioned her for spilling the news of her sister’s wedding, she answered by saying it was because she wanted my help breaking up the wedding. Initially, I dismissed the matter at face value. However, it wasn’t until last night that a crucial detail resurfaced in my memory. Her plea for me not to get angry before she shared the news suddenly made sense. The only plausible explanation for such a request was if she knew about my feelings for Madeleine.

Why else would she ask me not to get angry if she didn’t know?!

It’s clear that Natalie is much more meticulous and clever than I originally thought. Numerous questions linger in my mind, yet a nuanced doubt emerges—I can’t shake the feeling that her intentions might not be malicious. Consider this: if she is indeed aware of my past love for Madeleine and is actively working to disrupt her wedding, could it be that she’s trying to help me?

Regardless of her reasons, I know I need to get to the bottom of this and fast. I wasn’t able to do it last time, but I’m confident I can get the job done when we go to Paris. I won’t let her run away from me this time.

1