Chapter 16: Lobby
47 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

These two points are now clearly evident, plunging the rapidly developing city of Seris into an awkward situation: talents in metallurgy have to help in the mechanical department, and the former scammers who used to oversee alchemy have now become honored guests in the chemical department...

Even in this situation, Seris City's simple arms factory is still working overtime to produce the weaponry that Chris has requested. The main product is the improved 75mm caliber infantry howitzer, a weapon that is not advanced and does not require high precision in processing.

"The new 75mm caliber howitzer is being equipped in the army, and Seris Arsenal has already produced one new cannon, just waiting for the return of the lord." When it comes to weapons, Smith is well-versed because he is not only a consultant for the steel mill but also one of the chief engineers of the arsenal.

This also proves, from another perspective, the shortage of talent in industrial equipment in Seris at present—this engineer Smith is overseeing about one-tenth of the machine production equipment...

"What restricts our development is not the iron production, nor any other reason, but the shortage of talent." The engineer sighed somewhat regretfully. "Before the lord left, every night he had to tutor 50 people in industrial knowledge, but most of them are still in a state of partial understanding."

"It's already good enough. When I went from being a blacksmith apprentice to a true blacksmith, it took a whole 12 years." Smith recalls his apprenticeship experience and feels the endless hardships.

He is one of the most outstanding craftsmen trained by Chris and also one of the chief engineers of the Seris Industrial Group. With his education and extensive experience in metallurgy, he is now involved in the daily research of Chris's new equipment.

"Do you know how fast our technology is advancing now? According to the drawings left by Lord Chris, we have already developed artillery technology to the second generation." Smith finished talking about his past, proudly extended his fingers, and gestured with a two: "The new howitzer is lighter and smaller!"

The 90mm caliber cannons from the World War I era are already outdated. Before they could be widely adopted by the troops, Seris's new technology has completely eliminated them.

At this rate of development, by the time Chris returns to Seris from Crossport City, the cannons equipped by his main forces with World War I technology will only be suitable for second-line units.

And as long as he wishes, at that time, he can probably directly use electric lights and telegraphs...

"Lord Clark! Seris is really the victim! We were ambushed by Meen and Crossport, and we barely won after fighting back!" In the magnificent hall, Stride pleaded in a low voice.

Every candle here is a carefully crafted luxury item, and every candlestick exudes an artistic atmosphere. The cold marble floor is smooth and even, with meticulously designed patterns.

The Prime Minister's Mansion of the Arant Empire is definitely not comparable to the residence of a small town lord. Although it cannot be built into a fortress, every detail here shows extravagance, making Stride feel ashamed.

The old man sitting at the head has a face full of wrinkles, holding a wine glass in one hand, and the other hand is being held by a young girl, carefully grooming her nails.

Seeing the old man's lips slightly open, he spoke in a calm and unhurried tone: "Whatever you say is useless. The empire will immediately send a new lord to both places. If Seris cooperates, everything will be as if nothing happened. If Seris does not cooperate, it will be an enemy of the empire."

His voice echoed throughout the hall, as if several people were speaking at the same time, with a vague feeling of dignity and arrogance.

"Lord! We are really victims! Now we have occupied Meen and Crossport, and we are willing to pay taxes for both places every year! Please, Lord, make a decision for Seris!" Stride pleaded.

The Empire's Prime Minister Clark, however, remained unmoved. He glanced at the large sum of gold coins in the box in front of him, picked up the wine glass, and shook it a few times, saying disdainfully: "I'll accept these gold coins, you don't have to bring them back and forth, it's too troublesome."

Hearing that he couldn't even take the gold coins back, Stride felt even more uncomfortable. Kneeling on the ground, he begged: "Please, Prime Minister, think twice! Seris is shedding blood for the empire. If Meen and other places invade again, we..."

"You keep repeating the same words. I'm tired. You can go!" Clark finished the wine in his cup and instructed the waiter next to him.

"Lord, Seris is willing to pay 4,500 gold coins in taxes for both places every year! Lord!" Stride raised his head and seized the last opportunity to plead.

Clark sneered, waved his hand, and said coldly, "Is this little tax what you call it? Are you trying to beggars me? Get out! You don't know what you're doing!"

Paying an additional 1,500 gold coins each year? How could the Empire take that seriously? Moreover, these 1,500 gold coins would go to the treasury, and the prime minister had no relationship with a single copper coin.

In short, although the Lord of Seris has a strategic vision to win over the Arant Empire, unfortunately, he has too few chips in his hands—Seris has nothing that can move the Arant Empire, so it is impossible to swallow the juicy fruits of victory.

As for going against the will of Arant? Prime Minister Clark never even considered it—Arant has a million-strong army, crushing a small lord is an easy task.

Stride was "sent" out of the Arant Prime Minister's Mansion by the guards. Looking at his subordinates waiting outside the gate, he bowed his head and didn't know what to do.

He spent all the gold coins he brought, but he didn't accomplish the task entrusted to him by Lord Chris. It was a shameful and painful thing.

The subsequent problems were the most tricky. Arant would send a new lord to take over Meen and Crossport. The victory of Seris would become meaningless, and the danger in the four war zones would continue. The Lord's aspirations would become a joke...

Having lost face, Stride sighed deeply in his heart, but at this moment, he unexpectedly heard a familiar voice: "Eh? Isn't this Mr. Stride? Why are you here?"

Hearing someone calling him, Stride raised his head and saw a young man in front of him. He immediately bowed and greeted, "Mr. Desail, I... I am here on behalf of my lord's orders to handle some matters."

"Dealing with affairs with Prime Minister Clark?" Desail smirked, then looked at the gloomy face of Stride, and laughed, "I guess Mr. Stride's matter didn't go well, did it?"

"Yes, Lord Prime Minister did not agree to our request..." Stride grasped this last lifeline and explained, "But it is very important for us."

"Let me hear about it!" Desail took a few steps forward, approached Stride.

Stride approached Desail's ear and whispered for a few minutes. Desail's eyes lit up suddenly: "You mean... Meen and Crossport?"

"Yes!" Stride nodded and admitted, "Yesterday, a pigeon caught up with my team, and the lord... has already entered Crossport."

"Ha!" Desail excitedly laughed, then reached out and patted Stride's shoulder, grinned and said, "Leave this to me! Since Lord Chris gave me such a surprise, I naturally want to give Lord Chris a return gift! Wait for me here!"

Saying that, he walked into Prime Minister Clark's mansion with his hands on his back. The guards at the door didn't seem to see such a splendidly dressed young man walking in, and no one came to stop him.

"Desail! I know that the Longtide family has a vast business, but letting the Empire solidify the disputes on the border, isn't that too broad for you?" When Prime Minister Clark heard that Desail also came to inquire about the disputes in Meen, Crossport, and other places, he spoke displeasedly.

After a pause, he continued with an authoritative tone, "Moreover, you, yourself, can't represent the Longtide family, right? Interfering in the affairs of the Empire, don't you think you are a bit presumptuous?"

"Lord Clark!" Desail is not a country bumpkin. The extravagance in front of him has no effect on him. He smiled, waited for Clark to finish speaking, and then took out a piece of paper, handing it forward, "I know your time is precious, but we can talk slowly."

A maidservant walked up to Desail, took the shiny brown paper that was shaking a bit from her hand. Then the maidservant lowered her head, placed the large denomination gold voucher commonly used in the upper class of the Empire on the table next to Prime Minister Clark.

Clark glanced at the numbers on it, saw the word "ten thousand" behind the five, and a smile appeared on his cold face: "The Longtide family is indeed wealthy. I'm willing to talk more with the young man. You all can leave!"

After sending away the attendants, the hall looked much more spacious. Desail finally spoke: "The border war was provoked by me, so now, Lord, do you still find it strange?"

"The Longtide family intervened in the war between Seris and Meen, as well as Crossport? What are you planning?" The Prime Minister motioned for Desail to find a guest seat and asked.

"Profit!" Desail leaned back in his chair, adopting a comfortable posture, and replied, "Meen invaded Seris and needs weapon equipment! Seris needs to defend against Meen's attack and also needs weapon equipment. No matter who wins, the Longtide family will benefit."

2