Upset 1
45 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun had just begun to rise over the horizon, and Toro city was basked in it's warm light,  though the light did little to comfort the residents of the city. They were hungry , thirsty, and the fear of another day of siege made them be on edge. Surprisingly for them and for all others the focal point of today wouldn't be the ongoing war, but something much more intriguing. On almost every street of the city of Toro people holding a parchment witht the royal seal were seen shouting at the top of their lungs.

"Hear ye,  hear ye!

By the royal decree of Prince Siros,  the people mentioned hereafter are imprisoned for treason against the crow. Baron Gera, Baron Timothy....Knight Faust....

For the aforementioned crimes these individuals will be imprisoned and be judged to a later date. The assets of these criminals will be immediately sized and put to use for the betterment of the city."

"What...is this a dream? How could this happen?!"

"If it is a dream, then were having the same one. Buddy...it seems that those people are going to hang." said one bystander with a slight smile on his face. It wasn't everyday one would experience the hanging of a noble man. He wasn't going to forget to wear his finest clothes for this occasion.

On different streets crowds had already begun to form around the announcer as they began to discuss amongst themselves about what had happened. The prince had been poisoned not long ago by the son of a Baron ,  and now by royal decree most of the nobles of the city had been arrested for treason. The simple mind's of the commoners could only come to the conclusion of them moving together against the price , and being caught red handed.  It wasn't unheard of , but not in this situation.

"Hear ye, hear ye once more.

The prince in his generosity has  decided to distribute their wealth to the needy people so most will receive a silver quarter-piece. Furthermore the prince welcomes anyone brave enough to arms against these invaders. They will be paid 1 silver pence a day until the war is over."

"What! Two silver pence a day!?"

"This, this....

The people around were astonished,  and even the one who read the decree from the prince wasn't spared. He almost couldn't believe his ears as 1 silver pence wasn't a small amount by any stretch. A skilled laborer would usually be paid a silver quarter-pence  for a day of work,  so 1 silver pence was a very high amount of money for someone. Greed filled the hearts of all who heard this,  but they still hesitated. Most of the able-bodied men had already been called to arms, so the one's remaining were only the essential laborers , women  or children and the old.  Fortunately for Siros's greed knew no age or gender,  so many hurried to sign up.

..........

As this was happening inside of the city the barbarians had begun to move on with another day of their siege. The camp had been covered by a slight dew making almost everyone weat from it , but by adding some firewood to last night's fire they warmed up their body and also dried their clothes and shoes. They were in a good mood as they merrily laughed and ate their breakfast. Thoughts of looting pillaging the city passed through all their heads as they knew that at most the city would stay standing for two more days before they soldiers protecting it would break. It wasn't their usual tactics to go for a siege in this manner as they usually waited for the surrounded city to starve  , but they didn't have the patience for that. Their Ka'han had a more ambitious plan in mind and the city of Toro was just the stepping stone on their journey. So,  another battle awaited them today amongst the walls,  but a new day brought new surprises.

.........

Amongst the clash of steal and flesh,  shouts of courage and wails of death were heard as two sides clashed against each other fiercely.

"Ladder....

The siege consisted of the barbarians putting their ladders against the wall in order to climb them to get to the other side ,and the soldiers of the city of Toro doing all they could to destroy them. At first the pace of the battle was the same as yesterday  ,but quickly the barbarians started to struggle. They couldn't put their finger on what was it , but the resistance the soldiers were putting today was much fierce. Also, it seemed that someone had called forth a rain of stones as rocks were constantly raining down on them besides the usual arrows.

"Ladder....

Also, as soon as the word 'ladder' was heard then at that spot there were thrown several animal bladder filled to the brim. As soon as fell down on the barbarians they burst and their contents splashed everywhere. It wasn't something like shit or piss that was occasionally used in such instances,  but oil that was confiscated from the arrested nobles. Accompanied by a flaming torch thrown down right after,  it was quite a spectacle. 

"Aaaaaaaahhhh....

"Fi...fire.....

"Put it out....put it out...

Several barbarians caught fire and the earth around them was also set ablaze. It was quite a gruesome sight and unexpected turn to the battle that instead of achieving a substantial push against the soldiers of the city, the barbarians achieved very high losses. This put them in a bad position, and of course the Ka'han wasn't happy about this situation. In fact he was very furious. 

........

Deep inside the camp of the barbarians ,inside a pretty  big tent an almost two meter tall , chubby man was sitting in a silver throne adorned with streaks of gold. He was about 40 years old by the looks of him,  but compared to his peers he was lavishly dressed. Only silk touched his skin and numerous rings adorned his fingers , but although he had such material possessions,  he wasn't happy at all. His eyes bloodshot as he stared at his most trusted general who were kneeling and lowering their heads at him.

2