Chapter 12
740 1 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

First of all, thank you @Tutu for the first review of this novel. I know that my synopsis is bad for getting readers (not that I care much), therefore, having a review should help in that regard. Although the "Heroine" part... Does that mean a girlfriend?

Anyways, here's the chapter of this week and hopefully it will make you forget the worries of the world for as long as it lasts.

Days flowed with me and Nova running after stretching in the mornings followed by gem work. Lunch and some sleep. We did the same in the afternoon and then we retired for the night. Rinse and repeat.

Thanks to those days of rigorous training, Nova's stamina and physical strength increased along with her control over energy and her pools also got bigger. To me, not so much, it only served as a way to acquaintance myself with my body. I already hit my limit, that is the reason why I'm looking for another way to get stronger.

Yesterday, I finished growing the star gems and I was now working my way to the secretary to deliver them. Nova wanted to come with so she is accompanying me.

The problem is that I don't know where the mayor's secretary is so I have to ask around until I find her. Furthermore, last time I met her she was overseeing some construction and it took some time when I tried to locate her. Therefore, I had no idea where to start.

"Excuse me, do you know where the mayor's secretary is?" I asked a passerby

"Hmm, try the inn. They should know."

"Thanks."

"No problem."

Time to go to the inn.

"You don't know where she is?" asked Nova

"Nope. So, we have to find her."

We arrived at the inn. I knocked on the door.

Someone opened the door "If you come for food. Come later."

"No, I've come to find the mayor's secretary."

"Evelyn?"

"Yeah, her."

"You won't find her here. Try looking in the palace of learning construction site."

"Ok, thanks."

"Bye."

We walked away.

"I hate the name "palace of learning"." I commented

"Why?"

"Because it's just weird."

"Really? I think it fits."

"Yeah, but I feel that it could have been named something better."

"Like what?"

"I don't know… In the first place it is not my job to do it."

"And you're complaining?"

"Yes."

"And why are even complaining if you cannot find a better name?"

"Because I can."

She rolled her eyes.

While bickering with Nova we arrived at the construction site. It was progressing fast enough. There was a new high building near the street.

"Do you mind if we go there for a minute?"

"Why?"

"I believe that that might be the new library."

"Are you sure?"

"Maybe. We'll have to ask."

"And why do you want to go there?"

"They may be able to answer my questions. Furthermore, I may be able to see an acquaintance. Do you mind?"

"Not at all."

I patted her head. 'she seems to be getting used to it~'

We walked closer to the building. It was more like a tower than a normal building 'probably to hold high shelves filled with books'. I saw someone near the entrance; therefore, we came near her.

"Excuse me?"

"Yes?"

"Is this the new library?"

"Yes, however it is void of books for now, hence we aren't technically open." She replied with a bitter smile

"What are you going to do for the books?"

"We'll just have to write everything from the start. We'll start by going for more practical knowledge, like how to build stuff or the surrounding environment such as rocks, plants and animals…" she looked at the sky with a faraway gaze 'that is a lot of work, indeed…'

I thought for a moment and asked "Why don't you ask for people to donate books? I have some in my inventory that I don't mind giving them to you or else they'll just sit there."

"Really!? Then, by all means. Ah, wait, not here, let's go inside!" 'she became overbearing all of a sudden'

She pulled me and Nova inside the building. The inside was barebones for a library. There were shelves, desks and chairs. However, there was not a single book in sight and no lighting other than the sun entering from the windows.

"So, they have started to make furniture, huh."

"Finally, if you ask me." She grumbled

She brought us to a large desk near the entrance 'this might be the librarians' desk.'

"Can you put the books on top of the desk?"

"Ok."

I started feeling around the garbage corner of my inventory and took out all the books that I had. The pile had almost 20 books.

The woman was a little surprised by it, however she quickly changed her demeanor and started checking them while looking at a catalogue.

"This is unexpected…" she said

"Once you start putting them in your inventory, they just accumulate."

The woman looked at me with a weird look but said nothing and continued to check the books. Nova was watching from the sidelines.

"Oh, this is one is a rare one..." she cleared her throat "Anyway, most of these books are ones that we don't have, the others we don't really need. However, we'll still take them if you don't want them."

"You can take them."

"Thank you! Also, your donation idea is not bad at all. It will help us not lose any more knowledge."

"We have lost knowledge?" asked Nova

"We did lose our books and nobody has knowledge of everything in their heads. It is no wonder that some knowledge has been lost." I answered

"Yes, and it is unfortunate that it is happening. It is sad to lose more knowledge and to never get it back."

"What do you mean?" I asked

"For example, do you know what our races are?"

"Uh, not really. I've never really cared about it."

"There is a theory that we are descended from many beats, but I don't really think so. How about you?"

"Well, I never thought about it. I mean we are too similar to each other to be descended from various beats."

"Exactly! Do you know the spell [Alter form]?" 'her eyes were starting to have a crazy shine'

"Yes. It is a spell where one saves a hint of life energy from beasts inside them and then they'll change their own life energy signature to match the beast's energy, gaining their strength and weaknesses."

"That is correct, however you forgot a little detail."

"And that is?"

"When one uses the [Alter form] they'll also gain physical properties of the beast they matched their signature to."

"So, you're saying that our bodies were changed from our original species to our current ones by the use of a spell. However, that does not make sense, most of our spells cannot keep their existence for long."

"And that is why I said that we lost knowledge. Once upon a time, our ancestors used a spell to change their species and that spell is one with effects that will last either for generations or for as long as we live." 'genetic engineering with energy?'

"If what you're telling is the truth, why did they do it?"

"No one knows." She shrugged "It is only a theory."

"Right…"

She clapped her hands "Anyway, we got derailed. Thank you for donating your books, they'll be put to good use."

"No problem."

"And, may I inquire why you seek the library?"

"I had some questions regarding a specific energy."

"Ah, normally I would say to come later, when we have gathered enough books. However, you did help me and although I may not be an expert regarding energy, I'll try to help you. Therefore, what is your question?"

I created the darkness energy and gathered it in my hand to show her "Do you know what this is?"

She observed it closely "It looks like corruption from its color. However, you are holding in your hand and its glow say that it is not. Am I correct?"

"Yes, and from the way you are talking, you don't know what it is, do you?"

"No, I'm sorry. I cannot help you." She said dejectedly

"No matter. Do you know where the mayor's secretary, Evelyn, is?"

She thought for a moment "Try looking around where the school is being constructed. She may be there."

"Ok. Thank you for the information."

"No problem and I'm sorry that I could not help you."

"Like I said, there is no need to feel sorry. It is just an inconvenience to me, that's all."

"I understand. Have a nice day."

"Goodbye." I responded

"Bye." Added Nova

We exited the library.

"What are you going to use that energy for?" asked Nova

"You mean the darkness?"

"Is that what is called?"

"Not really. It is just a name I gave it to not always call it "new element"."

"A new element!?"

"Perhaps. Perhaps not and I just came to know it not long ago."

"Oh, so that's why you wanted to come to the library."

"Yes. It would be quite useful to gain more knowledge on it."

"Why are you focused on it?"

"Because it may be my door to become stronger."

She looked at me with a stupefied expression "You want to be stronger? Are you not strong enough?"

I looked at her with a serious expression "People need to always progress. They cannot be satisfied with they already have. If you have some free time, why don't you put some effort into making a better you."

She was bewildered "Is that how it is?"

I flicked her head.

"Why!?"

I smiled and putted my tongue out, then I said while pocking her 6hands that were protecting her forehead "You need to take what I say with a grain of salt. I only want to be stronger because I want to. That's all there is to it. People do what they want to do and if they become better in any way, good for them, if not, too bad."

She was bewildered once again but finally said with a pout "You shouldn't lie."

"You can't tell me what to do~." I responded, taunting her. I turned away and started walking, but kept her in the corner of my eye.

She became even more angry, however she thought for a moment before rolling her eyes at me and sighing.

I stopped on the spot and declared to her "If you don't want to walk with me, I'll leave you behind."

That broke her out of her stupor "Wait for me!"

I smiled and restarted walking, slow enough that she could catch me.

Thankfully, when we arrived at the currently in construction school, we found the mayor's secretary 'Really, thank god she's here.'. We approached her.

"Miss Evelyn, I've got what you asked for." I shouted at her

She turned to me and recognition flashed in her eyes. 'Wait, you forgot about me…'

"Ah, Craven. Show me how they are."

I took a star gem from my inventory and showed her. She inspected it, activated its inscriptions, making it float and shine. She then adjusted its brightness.

"Perfect. They are better with this size."

"If you're happy with it, then that means that you'll uphold your part of the deal." 'Don't make me work for nothing'

"But of course, I'll send a document to you later granting you the rights of building with our conditions stated in it."

"Thank you. We'll take our leave then."

I happily returned the way we came from with Nova following me from behind. I turned my head to face her and asked. "We've finished what we came for faster than expected. It is such a waste to just go back to training. Is there anything that you want to do?"

He thought while tapping her chin "I don't really have anything to do."

"Then, do you want to explore the town? I don't know about you, but I've been outside the loop, since the beginning of the town's construction."

"That is fine by me."

I held my hand towards her and she "reluctantly" took mine. 'She's getting more comfortable with me~'

"Let's go see the commercial district." 'I hope they have some stores open'

We explored the town until we arrived at the commercial part of town. All I had to say about the sights of our walk until now was that the town looked like a cozy one. It wasn't that different from a modern one, however the buildings are mostly made of wood and it was devoid of electricity. Although I did saw some people putting posts with fire gems inside them encased in glass for lighting.

However, that brought another question, how were they able to make glass without a source of pure white sand nearby? Furthermore, from the looks of the library and the surrounding buildings, there is no problem with the glass stock. Are they able to purify the sand here and use for the making of glass? I want to ask how it is possible, but I'm sure that the answer will be something related to energy.

The commercial district though was different than what I expected. It was lively, a whole lot more than anticipated. There were some stores already open, most being common commodities useful for day to day life like clothes, brushes and other stuff. 'Pity that there are no food stalls yet'

"Nova." She shivered "You know what clothes mean, don't you?" my eyes were serious

She flapped her mouth opening and closing before saying with a defeated tone "Please, be gentle."

"No promises~." Is what I responded to her plea

I scanned the stores for one with clothes more to my liking and Nova's style. I found one and entered it, inside there were people choosing clothes that were displayed on the various stands.

I myself did not have what it takes to make Nova wear clothes that suit her. That is why I searched for an employee who should have more knowledge in clothes than me. Founding one, I approached her.

"Excuse me."

"Yes, how can I help you?"

"You see, I'm looking for clothes for this girl over here." I pointed at Nova, the employee scanned the clothes that Nova was wearing and frowned "By the way, she only has this type of clothes."

Nova sensing something was about to run away, however I grabbed her shoulders not allowing it.

"Furthermore, I'm not someone who knows what young girls need to wear, that is why I'm turning to you to help me make this girl wear some good clothes. Money is not the problem, my only request is subtlety, which means not too much or too less, if you understand what I am saying."

Her expression serious "Don't worry, dear customer." She replaced her hands with mine, thus she held Nova by her shoulders. Nova herself was flailing around trying to escape, thankfully she wasn't screaming 'maybe I should teach her how to deal with these situations, but that is for later', however the employee wasn't budging "I'll make sure that this girl sheds her rags and becomes a beautiful butterfly."

I waved at Nova's departing figure. She had quite an expression of despair, but I just ignored that. I went to a corner of the shop and just waited. The employee arrived 30 minutes later.

"Would you like to see the results?" she asked me

"I do."

"Then, please follow me."

I followed her to a changing room. She opened the curtain and I saw Nova in simple white dress with some embroidery here and there. It was simple and subtle as I asked, thus its overall appearance suited my tastes.

"It's quite good. Thank you for doing this."

"No problem. You can call me whenever you need clothes for the girl." She said quite happy with herself

"Have you prepared other type of clothes for her?"

"But of course. I put them right there on top of the stool 'that is a big pile…'. Do you want to see her with them?" Nova shivered slightly; her expression was akin to one who saw death in the face

"No. I will trust your judgement." Nova let out a sigh of relief "How much is for them?"

"About this much." She took a receipt and showed me the price. Although the price won't put a dent on my fortune, it is more than expected. 'I did not anticipate that clothes could be so expensive''

I thought about it carefully "I'll buy them."

"Thank you for your patronage!"

"…" 'even though it was my choice, I feel like I was scammed into it' I cleared my throat "By the way, do you know where a good underwear shop is?"

The employee looked at my chest for a moment 'Oi, don't glare at my chest' "There is one nearby, just two stores down the road."

"Is that so, thanks."

She responded with a professional smile "It was no problem. Now if you excuse me."

The employee got back to her work. I turned to Nova and said "Although the clothes suit you. It would be better if you didn't wear that expression."

She made a sign with her finger to come closer. I dropped to her level and she punched me, although she always forgets that I have a shield at all time and is now holding her hand with teary eyes.

I chuckled and held her hand. I twisted my life energy so that it becomes neutral and not harmful and moved into her hand. The [Healing hands] spell healed her wound and got rid of her pain. I pocked her forehead and said "Aren't you overly excited~?"

"Whose fault is that!" she said trough gritted teeth

"Mine~."

"You-"

I quickly picked her up and kissed her cheek "You were saying~?"

She turned red, whether it was from embarrassment or anger, I could not tell.

"If you have nothing to say, then let's be on our way."

I put Nova on the ground and grabbed the clothes. I went to the counter and payed for them. The employee released the anti-theft spell on it.

This is why nobody tries to steal items by using the inventory. It is common sense that each item contains a spell that radiates a specific pulse once inside an inventory. It is one of the multiple variations of the [Security] spell. The best way to get rid of the spell is by paying them and have an employee with the key for the spell. It is also possible to destroy the spell even if you don't know the key, however it will take time and if you fail, the spell will activate.

"Can you take them all inside your inventory?" I asked Nova

"No. I don't think so."

"Then take some and I will keep the rest. Do remind me of returning them later, ok. Else, I will forget."

Nova carefully chose some clothes while I took the rest. Nova smiled to herself with her new acquisition 'and you said you didn't want clothes~'.

"Shall we go?" I asked Nova

"Hm!" she nodded happily

I quickly picked her.

"Why are you picking me up all the time?" asked Nova

"Is there a problem?"

"Yes."

I ignored her and exited the store with Nova on my arms, some people curiously glanced our way but otherwise did not say anything. While Nova, sensing those gazes, decided that the best way to escape them was by burying her head on my chest.

I entered the underwear store. I was more crowded than expected 'oh wait, I forgot that players only have one pair'. I scanned the store and found it was mostly men's underwear. I asked an employee that gave a curious glance at Nova where the women's underwear was.

"The ground floor is men's underwear while the first floor is the women."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

I climbed up the stairs with Nova in my arms and said to her "Nova, how long are you going to mop around?"

"You didn't experience it…"

"It was your fault for not having cute clothes."

"I have cute clothes!"

"Now, you do."

"My clothes were perfectly fine!"

I turned to a more serious tone "Then tell me, Nova. Did you have fun trying the clothes?"

She looked at my eyes before averting them "I did." She whispered

I brought her closer to me and rubbed my cheek against hers "That is a good girl. Being honest with me."

She used her hands to get away from my face "Why did you do that!?"

"I would pat you, however, as you can see, they're occupied."

"Then put me down!"

"Heh~. Ok."

"Eh?" I put her down. She looked lost at what to do since I accepted her request so easy

I dropped to her level and kissed her cheek once again "You don't have to make that face. You can always ask me when you want me to carry you." She had a bewildered face, thus I tapped her on the forehead to break her out of her stupor.

"Who will!?" she said that with a red face

"You tell me~" I answered her with a cheeky face. She looked ready to respond to my taunt but I stopped her by raising a hand "Anyway, I need to buy some underwear. I'm sorry but we don't have the entire day to express our love~."

Her face reddened even more 'this is so much fun~'. She was going to say something back, however I quickly dragged her with me, breaking her line of thought.

No longer wanting to tease her further I asked "Nova, do you have underwear?"

Her face got another share of red 'I did not think that it is possible to go that red' "Of course, I have!"

"I did not mean like that, you dirty-minded girl. I want to know if you need more underwear?"

She ignored my taunt and thought to herself "I don't think so, maybe my bras. I feel that are getting a little tight on my chest."

"Then, let's find someone that can measure us."

"Us?"

"Yes."

I looked for one and asked "Excuse me. We need some measurements done."

"I'm very sorry, but can you do it yourselves. We have been getting a lot of customers and we have a lack of hand at the moment." 'right… the players'

"I don't know how to do it…"

"Just measure the chest where it is the biggest and right under it. Subtract the biggest by the smallest and you get your cup size."

"That simple?"

"That simple."

"Ok. Can you give us a measuring tape?"

"Here you go."

"Thank you."

I turned to Nova "It looks like we have to help each other."

"I don't know if it is a good idea…"

"Why?"

"I'm not good at math…"

I laughed and caressed her head "You don't have to think like that. Just give me the numbers and I'll help you do it."

She was confused "You'll do it for me?"

"No, I'll help you do it. You'll be the one to give the answer."

"Eeeh"

"Let's go~."

We walked inside a changing room to measure ourselves.

.

.

We wore back our clothes.

"So, that wasn't so hard." I started

"Speak for yourself!"

"Come on, if you can't do that you won't be able to do well in school."

"I learned how to subtract with pen and paper!"

"Yes, yes." I ignored her "Now, let's go buy some underwear. Do you remember your cup?"

"Yes, I do." I watched her opening the curtain to go search some underwear

"And don't forget to buy a cup bigger."

"Why?"

"At the rate that you're growing, I believe that one day your size will be comparable to mine."

She looked at my chest and puffed hers forward in pride.

"I told you that big chests are not that good to have."

"Better to have big than nothing at all." She said as a matter of fact

I thought for a moment "I guess, you're right…" I said uncertain.

"Yes, I do!"

"Do you like big chests?" 'Oops, that just escaped my mouth'

"Huh!" she became bewildered. She did not know how to answer my question.

I threw a lifeguard "Just say "yes" or "no" if you want to answer."

"…Yes." She was really embarrassed with her answer

"I like them too, but only if they suit the person." I tried to help to mitigate her embarrassment

"Suit the person?" she asked confused

"Yes. I will explain at a later date if you're still interested. We have stuff to do."

"Ok. But you'll have to tell me!" 'she is really interested in my opinion'

We bought a few pairs of underwear before exiting the store.

"We spent quite some time inside." I looked at the sky "It must be midday. It is time for lunch."

"I hope we are not late."

"Probably not. Let's go."

We made our way to the inn and got into the line for the food.

"I wonder why we still have to eat at the inn." I started talking to kill time

"I don't know. Uncle Zane said that we would see food stores soon, but that was days ago."

Our conversation ended there. We were not extroverted people, however were not timid too. We only talked what is needed to be talked and nothing more. 'However, Nova has been talking a lot more with me by her own will. At first, she only responded when I addressed her or when I bothered her'

Becoming happy by my own thoughts I looked at Nova. She was gazing at the food with all her interest and seeing like that made me want to bother her. I started to poke her head, she ignored me at first, however I did not stop and she finally snapped. She turned around to punch me, but she stopped herself, perhaps she remembered the shield, hence she decided to counterattack by doing the same as me and tried to pock my head. However, she was too small so she pocked me where she could and that was my chest.

The shield normally blocks damage that comes from attacks and is influenced by the user's state of mind. Attacks, by definition, are dangers to one's body and Nova's pocking was not considered a danger. That is why I felt her finger touch me right in my nipple raising a rather embarrassing reaction from me.

Although I held it back so that people nearby could not hear it, Nova, who was too close to me, did. Nova's expression went from bewildered to one that happens when a child who finds a new toy to play with. She was about to try again. However, I was faster and flicked her head.

"Ouch! That really hurt!" 'I may have used more strength with that flicker'

"I'm sorry. It was self-defense and my body just reacted."

She was holding her head with a really pained expression. Feeling bad for what I did, I picked her up and was about to use [Healing Hands] on her when she suddenly pocked me once more. I stiffened but did not let a sound thanks to my self-control.

I looked at her face and saw a gleefully expression. One that belongs to a child whose prank worked and by seeing that I decided to punish said child.

"Nicely done. You have caught me off guard. There are not many who have done that and for that you deserve a reward~."

"Wait! I was wrong! Forgive me." She seemed to have sensed something was wrong 'her sixth sense is rather strong'. I ignored her pleas and hugged closely the child who needed to be recompensated.

"Wait! You're doing it with too much force! You're breaking me!" I heard the sound of bones cracking but I was sure to only use enough strength that she would only feel like being crushed and not be actually crushed.

I let her go a minute later, although I did not let her down from my arms and made eye contact with her. Her face was red and she was breathing quite roughly.

"Dear Nova. Please be careful with your actions." I whispered into her hear "Or else there might be consequences." She shivered with the last sentence.

I would let her down at this point but I felt that she could not put strength in her legs. 'I may have used more strength than I anticipated or I actually scared her enough with my words. Oh well~.'

Once we arrived at the end of the line, I placed her down and she was able to walk somehow on her own. We picked our food, then as the routine goes, we went to eat at our usual place.

"Can I go to the orphanage?" asked Nova after our meal, she wouldn't meet my eyes

"You mean now?"

She nodded.

"We can go after delivering the cutlery to the inn."

"Can you deliver mine for me?"

"Are you not feeling well?" I asked, worried "Did I actually hurt you?"

"No! It's not that! It's not you, it's me! Wait, what am I saying?" she was bewildered and could not find the right words to explain herself.

I tried to salvage the situation "So, you want some time alone to think for yourself? Is that it?"

"Yes!" she thought for a second "No, it is not that."

"Then what it is?"

She was embarrassed "I lost the strength on my lower body."

"I saw that. Shouldn't you be ok now?"

"I was, but now I cannot move right now…"

I was surprised "And you asked me to leave you here alone?" I glared at her

"No, I thought that I would regain it later." She quickly explained herself

"Did I cause this earlier?"

"… Maybe."

I thought about what could have caused it 'she lost her strength, that means that either her body is tired or that her strength was sapped away. The latter is not possible in my presence then it must have been something she did when I was with her, but all we did these days was training…'.

An idea sprouted in my mind. "Nova."

"Yes?"

"Do you feel like your body is like a rock or that there is a hole in it or both?"

"I… I kind of do."

"Nova, I'm sorry." I bowed my head

"What!? Why are you apologizing?"

"I did cause this."

"You did? But I feel that even your crushing hug would not do this."

"It partially did. It was the tipping point."

"The tipping point?"

"Do you remember what I told you when used too much life energy?"

"Yes-… Oh!"

"Yes, do you remember what I told you of how you should feel when you have energy deficiency?"

"Yes, but I rested with you every day."

"Clearly that was not enough for you. It is not something against you however, that kind of training was modeled after me not you a child who did not have years of training behind her 'furthermore, I forget sometimes, but I am a game master. A monster with infinite energy regeneration'"

'Wait… Monster? Why did I call myself that?'

I shook my head to get rid of annoying thoughts "What you are experiencing right now is overwork."

"Overwork?"

"Yes, you may have always rested to regain your stamina and energy. However, you did that every single day until now. You did not rest a single day in between, thus your body was not able to keep up."

"So, what do I do?"

"You eat and rest. That is all. Again, Nova, I'm sorry." I bowed once again

"No, it is fine!"

"It's not!" I raised my voice over hers

She became bewildered by the change of my character.

"I'm sorry for raising my voice, Nova. But what I did it's not fine." I walked around the table and went behind her, hugged her from behind and slowly and gently caressed her head "Nova, my dear, you are my daughter and I am your mother. Although we are a foster family, I care for you and only want your wellbeing. That is why, please tell me when I am wrong and when I bring you pain."

"Hm." She nodded and laid against me, feeling my hand moving through her hair.

We spent some time like that and soon enough I heard her soft sleeping sounds. I used [Puppetry] to grab her cutlery and I picked her up carefully to not wake her up. I walked as fast and softly as I could to the orphanage.

I knocked on the door and waited. Zane opened the door and I made I sing for him to be quiet as best as I could in that position. He understood what was going on and made a motion to enter. I did so, climbed up the stairs and opened the door with [Puppetry]. I used [Puppetry] to take her boots off and gently put them on the ground, afterwards I used it to lift the covers then I put Nova on the bed and finally put tucked the covers on top of her. I kissed Nova in the forehead and said "Sweet dreams, my little daughter."

 

32