Chapter 21
409 1 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Early to bed, early to rise. By following this principle, I ended up waking up before the sun even showed itself, however it wouldn't take long before it did. I did not know exactly when I needed to meet up with Yukiria, but it should be at least a few hours before midday, considering that she is a night owl. Therefore, I had some time to kill.

'Soon, I will lose my last form of entertainment. With Yukiria's project in its last phase, Nova's training done and twilight researched, all that is left is to do is waiting for the house's construction. Speaking of which, how long will it take until completion? I didn't ask, did I? I should probably talk with the architect over that later.

Now, back to the priority, what will I do next? Aiding Nova's training? Nah, I should let her do it at her own pace, I don't want to overexert her. Help around with the town's construction and other miscellaneous matters? Nope, I can see myself getting more in the way than actually helping and I should probably be careful with the way I interact with the townsfolk as I am technically in a very delicate spot, although gaining trust from it is quite enticing. Then what? Teasing the hell out of Nova until something interesting pops out? I can see myself doing that, but then Nova will hate my guts… I'll just go check on her to see if she needs help with something. I won't tease her, just check on her.'

Course of plan decided, I slowly made my way to the orphanage so that I could appreciate the view until there, However, I've done this so many times that the novelty of actually being in a fantasy world was disappearing as I get used to it. So much that I hadn't noticed that I had quickened my pace and was already in front of the orphanage.

I knocked on the door and waited for someone to show up and opening it, yet no one seemed to come. Therefore, I tried to twist the handle to open it myself but it was locked. Although the sun rays will show up eventually, it was still dark, therefore, the logical conclusion was that they were all asleep and if I wanted to go in, I would have to wait.

Still, I didn't really want to wait outside hence I put my hand against the lock and carefully probed it with soul energy. Noticing no inscriptions, I bathed the lock in energy to check what type it was 'Just a simple lock? I guess they have more priorities than creating something overly complex. Furthermore, who would break into an orphanage?'. This is more a technique than a spell s

I took out a lockpick from my inventory and walked a few steps away from the door while keeping a connection between me and the energy in the lock. I used earth energy to create a stool instead of using the earth from the ground, since it will just disappear without leaving a trace later and sat on it facing the street while casually checking my surroundings. Afterwards, I used [Puppetry] on the lockpick and sent it to the lock and a couple moments later I heard the pleasant sound of clicking. I took back the lockpick, stood up and dispersed all the energy that I used, including the earth energy from the stool which caused it to start crumbling faster than normal and it would disappear in no time.

I activated the [Feather fall] and [Hush], an air element spell that muffles sound around the user by forcibly calming the air so that it prevents vibration, and walked right inside the building while being careful with opening and closing the door because of potential noise 'And I am in~'.

'Although there is a part of me who finds that security here is too lacking, I can't really complain since I am exploiting that fact.'

I was quite thankful that this building is new since old wooden houses creak nonstop as you move inside them. Therefore, I marched with light steps to the eating area where I decided to take a seat and wait for everybody to wake up. So, I took a chair covered in the [Hush] spell and just sat on it.

.

.

I was dying of boredom and it had been only five minutes.

'Am I that hungry for entertainment?

If you're bored, go get job.

Why would I need a job?

To get money to pay your stuff.

I have enough money to pay for me, Nova and more. Not to mention the investment to the town.

However, with a job, you'll have something to do.

I don't want to work.

Why!?

Because it is a pain.

You're a pain!

How can you criticize me!? You're me!

I know!'

I've had that banter flow through my head multiple times at this point and it makes me wonder if this is going to be the rest of my life: Bored out of my mind and the only entertainment around is either messing around with Nova or picking fights.

'Hmm?'

I started hearing light footsteps coming from the floor above. I believed that they originated from a child trying to be quiet rather than an adult by the weight put in them. But then again, there are spells that can make someone lighter so it was more of an assumption than an actual answer 'It seems that this person has become my source of entertainment, for now'.

The footsteps appeared to be descending the stairs to this floor so I patiently waited for the owner to show up. My efforts were rewarded once I saw a familiar figure passed by the corridor without noticing me that caused a pleasant smile appear on my face.

I decided to do a stealthy approach on the target, thus, with [Hush] on, I got up from my seat and followed them. Stealth, in the end, is the act of not to be noticed, therefore, I could do any actions I wanted as long I don't bring any awareness onto myself. As a result, I quickly arrived at my target's back just as they were about to open a door.

"What a coincidence." I addressed Nova who seemed to a small hop as soon as she heard my voice 'I was expecting something more, like a cute scream'. Like a rusty machine she turned her head to my direction "Good morning. Are you perhaps a morning person?" I addressed her, yet the response that I was awaiting did not come, instead she quickly opened the door and went inside.

I was a bit stunned by her reaction thus I did not pay attention into to the room she got in and it left me in an awkward situation where I did not know how to proceed: Should I knock on the door or stay outside and then talk to her? There is also the option of barging in but that would be plain rude so I went with the latter option and leaned against the wall as I awaited her.

Soon enough, I heard water flushing 'that explains it' and the door opened, revealing the glare on Nova's face that was directed at me.

"Nova, dear. Please don't make such an expression, it will ruin your cute face." I melancholy informed her and just in case, made sure that [Hush] covered us both

She was about to retort with full force but just before that I stated "Hush, Nova. We can't make too much noise as there are people still sleeping, okay?"

Caught by my reasonable argument she swallowed back her response and let out a huge sigh.

"Did you know by sighing, you'll lose your happiness?"

"Do you have to rile me up every single time?" the talked softly

"Of course. It is the reason of my existence."

"Oh. I did not know that your reason to exist was so cheap."

"It may be so, but I swear that I'll live up to it." I announced as I tapped my chest with pride

Defeat showed on her face "Let's leave that aside, shall we?" she paused to regain her composure and asked me "How are you here?"

"Oh, the door was open so I got in." I brushed the subject off

"It was?"

"Yes."

"Oh. I was pretty sure I locked the door yesterday night, huh." 'Ugh' A third voice entered our conversation

"Really? Because when I tried to see if the door was open, it was unlocked so I just allowed myself to enter. Also, you should not sneak up on people like that, you could scare them and cause an accident. 'Although that is partly my fault because of [Hush] since it calms all sounds, going in and out'" As I said the last sentence, I also ignored the look of indignation on Nova's face

"It seems you haven't lost your touch even after quitting your thieving days. I hoped that would not be the case." Zane, the interloper, grimly smiled "Furthermore, for your information, I did not sneak up on you for I do not skulk on the shadows." He with righteous justice

"He says that, but Nova, did you know that-"

"Are you sure that you want to compete with me?"

I thought about it, but I decided best not as I did not as much dirt on him as he did on me so I just shrugged and did not pursue any more on the subject.

He chuckled upon witnessing my reaction "Anyways, since you're both here, how about helping me with breakfast."

"Okay, uncle Zane." Obediently answered Nova

"Me, cooking? Are you sure?"

"Don't make it sound as if you don't know how to cook. Get moving."

"Aye aye, sir." I gave up escaping and just went along with them

"By the way uncle Zane, can you tell me more about the topic earlier?"

"About whom specifically?"

"Her."

"Nova!?" I tried to intervene

"What? I am just learning more about my mother. Is that so bad?" she replied with an innocent expression but I knew there was nothing innocent underneath

Zane chuckles "Another time, perhaps. We have more pressing matters than that."

"You better keep quiet." I warned him

"Even if I don't talk, she'll learn on her own if she just asks around. You are aware of your reputation, are you not?"

"Ugh… Still 'I don't really want her to learn about the things I did'…"

"What? Did she do something bad?" Nova inquiries

"Rather than bad, it is more like crazy and unbelievable. For example, did you know that the current king of this kingdom was a commoner who arose to his position after revolting against the previous king who was a tyrant."

"Okay…" her eyes seemed to question what that had to do with me

"You see, the one who made that happen is Craven over here."

"What? How?"

"Don't ask me, but everyone knows that she's the one who was pulling the strings in the shadows." 'Oh! The way he said it makes me sound cool.'

Nova and Zane kept talking about me while ignoring my presence which caused me to sulk a bit.

"What do you want me to do?" I asked Zane

"Ah, right…" that seemed to bring him to the matters at hand "How about some cut fruits and vegetables for breakfast?"

" A rather humble breakfast but okay." I manipulated my hair and braided it so that it won't get in the way.

"We cannot really complain as long as we got food on the table."

"I see." 'It is hard to ask for more since the town is only one month old with no trading partners'

I grabbed a cooking knife and a fruit and started cutting. While I was doing it that, I noticed Nova's stare "What?"

"What do you mean "what?"!? Haven't you heard what we were talking about?"

"Yeah, I did. And?" I cocked my head

"And!? Oh, come on! There are so many questions that I have like why and how!"

"How I cannot answer since I don't really remember the details but I do remember it being tedious. As for why, it is because I did not like the previous king."

Nova incredulous because of that revelation "You did that because you did not like the king?"

"Yeah, pretty much." Although I said that, there was another reason. At that the time game masters were asked to promote that players could take positions of power and not just be vanguards and crafters. Most chose to go for positions with low importance. I, however, wanted something more impactful, therefore, I went for the cherry on the cake and all I needed was a target and that king was the one. He had made enough enemies among the population no matter the status and his debauchery kept gaining more 'Furthermore, that kingdom owned Greenwood which was my starting town where I occasionally frequented so there was a little bias when I decided'.

Although it was cool in theory, in practice, it was a very paperwork and diplomacy heavy work, not to mention with a lot of negotiations, that I wish not to go through again and thankfully, money was not a problem. 'But hey, it worked.'

As a side note, unless I am wrong, the king was the only member of the royal family who perished during the rebellion. Since the queen and her faction were against the king and helpful during the uprising thus not only were they spared but also kept their positions which is kind of weird because the current king who was the leader of the rebel army did not marry the queen.

I broke out of my stupor "Oops, I was lost in my thoughts. Do you have another question, Nova?"

"…" she seemed frozen in time so I snapped my fingers in front of her to see if that could return her to the present and sure enough it did. She took a long look at me and shrugged "You know what? I just don't care anymore."

"Wise choice. However, don't you think is good knowing that your mother is someone amazing?"

"Nope. On the contrary, I am worried that someone is you."

"Why is that?" I was a bit peeved by her statement

"Because you're foolish." She declared as a matter of fact

"Pft!"

My eyelid was twitching "It's bad to hold back old man. Why not let go of your laugher?"

"Ha ha ha." His laughter was short-lived as regained his focus "I mean, she's got you there Craven."

"So, you also think that I am foolish?"

"Witnessing your actions when you were under my wing, I believe that adjective is accurate in describing you."

"Isn't that the truth." Nova said as if she couldn't agree more

"Hmph." I ignored and focused on my task

"Hey uncle, can you tell me more about those "foolish" moments of my "dear" mother?" Nova inquired while emphasizing very specific words. However, I could not care much about them because I noticed something more important 'Mother'.

Whether it was on purpose or involuntary I would not care, it was the first time she addressed me as her mother and I would take it. Thus, my sour mood did a one-hundred-and-eighty-degree turn.

"Sure. I remember some of them but the ones that are worth knowing was for example when-" I decided to tune out their conversation for the sake of not having another turn on my mood and kept chopping away.

.

.

'Someone called me?' "Did you guys call me?"

"Yes." Answered Zane with his mouth twitching "That is more than enough."

I looked at what I was doing and sure enough, there was a great quantity of fruit slices. It seemed that when I tuned them out, I had entered an empty-mind state and kept hacking away without really noticing my actions.

"Well, you never told me how much it was needed." 'Let's put the blame on him' From the corner of my eye, I saw satisfaction with a hint of amusement on Nova's face making me wonder what were they talking about

"… I am not even going to bother arguing with you. Anyways, all we need is to bring this to the table and we are done."

"Okay. Where's the cutlery?"

"Oh no. We'll do that later when everyone is up."

"Fair enough."

"So, are you finally going to inform us for why are you here?"

"Who? Me? I am here to see Nova, that's all."

"And you needed to break in at this time to do that? How bored are you?"

"From the scale of one to ten, I am at like twenty. In other words: I am bored out of my mind." The answer seemed to caught him and Nova by surprise "Also, I did not break in, I walked in. Very different things." I proudly declared

"You don't have anything to do?" inquired Nova

"Nope. That is why I am here."

"But it is not like I have something for you to help with."

"Nah, I didn't mean it that way. I just came to kill time, which has been very fruitful, and see how you are doing."

"I remember you saying that you would be busy though."

"I have something around midday but after that it is mostly obscure. I was requested to be on standby until needed, for that reason I am technically free until then."

"You were requested?" Zane parroted "That is weird coming from you."

"Because I have been doing my own bidding until now?"

"Pretty much. Then there must be a pretty important reason for why you to have accepted."

"Yes. But why are asking?"

"Just curiosity. Is it a secret?"

"Not really. However, it would be unwise to just tell anyone but I believe I can let you two in the known. Do you think you can keep this a between us?"

"Yes." Nova nodded without hesitation 'Nova… We might have a conversation about agreeing so readily in the near future…'

"… I rather be knowledgeable than ignorant. So, yes." Followed Zane after a moment of deliberation

"Okay." I clapped my hands to bring their attention "You do know that the future of this town is mostly uncertain." I said in all seriousness

Zane tightened his expression "Yeah, I know."

"So, for the sake of our future" I announced with an all-encompassing voice "I was tasked with the delivery of the materials for the teleportation module." And ended my speech by spreading my arms

"…"

"…"

"…"

"… Are you messing with me?" Zane was the one to break the silence

I put my arms back down and leaned against the table "Nope. That is the truth."

"That's it?"

"Yep."

"You had me going for a minute there, however… isn't that just an over glorified delivery quest!?" Zane snapped

"Pretty much. It is still important nevertheless." I refuted

Zane was taking a few deep breaths to control his emotions. Therefore, it was Nova who questioned me "I don't really understand."

"You know the teleportation center that Greenwood had?"

"Yes."

"My task is basically transporting the materials to construct one in other settlements so that it can connect said settlements for the sake of trade and also to provide aid when needed. They have chosen me because of the size of my inventory and speed. That is about it."

"So, have they found other settlements?" probed Zane after regaining his calm

"I have not heard anything about therefore I am assuming that is not the case, yet. Not to mention that they don't have the materials needed and there is also the research to find native materials which can replace the ones we don't possess."

Zane nodded in understanding and went deep into his thoughts.

"How long until they ask you to do that?" Nova asked

"Who knows?" I answered solemnly

"…" Nova wore a somber expression

"Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to insinuate that it will never happen, I was just saying that I don't know when it will be." I clapped my hands to break the mood "Anyway, let's talk about less serious subjects, like for example: Me and Nova aside, why are you up at this time old man?"

Zane broken out of his contemplation replied with a sarcasm filled voice "Oh, I don't know. How could I sleep sensing someone breaking inside the orphanage and put the children in my care in danger?"

'I am quite confident that there was not any kind of trap on the door and my skill, therefore-' "In other words: Old instincts kicking in."

"Shut it." He barked

I chuckled "Okay, keep it cool old man. Let's move on to another subject: What are the kids doing these days?"

"What do you mean?"

"Nova informed me that the school won't open for a good while. Thus, I was wondering if they just play around all day."

"Pretty much." He shrugged "Without the materials needed to study we cannot continue with their schooling. And I am not just talking about the content. Paper, pencils, that kind of stuff is also needed and the town's administration took most of what was readily available."

"Isn't the orphanage part of the town's administration?"

"Arguably, yes. But, you know, priorities." He ended with a shrug

"Ah… So, you kids play all day. Aren't you bored?" I addressed Nova this time

"Nah. We come up with new stuff to play and if someone's not feeling, they can roam around the town but…"

"It is losing its charm." I completed her sentence

"Yeah." She answered with helplessness

Overprotective Zane made its appearance "You're still wandering around town even after I warned not to do it."

"But-!"

"No buts!"

I tried to stop Zane's sermon "Just lay it off, old man. These kids are just trying to have a good time."

"I can't just lay it off. The children do not know how dangerous it is outside. What if something happens and I am not there to help them?" Zane's face contorted as if he was imagining the most outrageous event possible "Just as an example: she walked around town once-" Zane pointed at Nova "- and she came back with a pest attached."

"Pest?" It took a second to understand what in the world he was talking about "Wait!? Are you talking about me!?"

"What else?" he asked with a raised eyebrow as if it was obvious

"I am truly sorry uncle Zane." Nova sincerely apologized as if she committed the gravest of errors

"Nova!? How could you!?"

"But it is the truth." Frankly she declared

"How could you say such hurtful words? You are going to make me cry." I ended my sentence with a snivel

She did not believe an inch that I would cry "Go ahead and cry if you want."

Those heart-wrenching words were the final nail in the coffin needed to open the dams of my eyes. My body was shaking as I tried to old back my sobs. Pearly "tears" ran down my face, I tried to cover them with my hands but it was not enough thus they ultimately fell on the floor.

"You're actually crying!?" exasperated from witnessing such a reaction from me, Nova couldn't help exclaiming out

"No, she's not. That is just a spell." Zane revealed

"Tch." I dispersed the water and returned back to my normal demeanor "Why did you ruin my fun?" I said with mock anger and pouted

"Please take into account your actual age before making such an expression and do not trick one of my kids."

"Whatever." I just shrugged "In any case, just let the kids have fun. You know that most of the things that you are worried about has the same chance of truly happening as a lightning striking one of them." 'Oh no' I could see the gears starting turning in his head once he heard lighting strike, thus to prevent the worrywart from prohibiting his kids any more, I changed the subject "I've got an idea that you may like."

That broke him out of his train of thoughts "What is it?"

"How about having an instructor teach them a bit about energy and combat. You don't really need paper and pens to do that, don't you? Not only that, it can provide some breathing room for you."

He was thinking for a moment "Not a bad idea, but the training grounds are still closed, aren't they?"

"Yeah. However, you don't really have to be at the training grounds to train the basics and I mean the basics of the basics."

"I see what you are getting at and yes, you are correct. I can teach them myself about energy but weapons… that is a bit more complicated."

"Yeah, that is what I am saying. Just hire one. It doesn't have to be an instructor from the training grounds, it could also be a vanguard."

"I prefer having a training grounds one, because they already have experience in teaching… But we don't really have the funds…"

I threw something at his face and, counting on his reflexes, Zane instantly grabbed it "This is?"

"Take it." I declared

"We don't need it." 'His stupid pride' He tossed it back but I just flicked back at him

"I don't really want it back since you touched it." Disgust appeared on my face

"This is too much." He held it in my direction prompting me to take it back. However, "Who is it for~?" I questioned

"… For the kids." He answered with a sigh and saved the crystal in his inventory "Well, thank you. However, if you keep giving away money like this, you'll end up with nothing."

"Highly unlikely."

"Why is that?"

"Because I am filthy rich." I said as a matter of fact. I could not take pride on it since the money was not earned the old-fashioned way: hard work

"Keep those thoughts to yourself unless you want a fight."

"I'll keep that in mind… And that is it, I don't have any more topics I wish to talk about… Mhm… Do you guys want to ask me anything?"

"Not really. Rather, dawn is approaching and the children will wake up so I have to start doing morning preparations. Craven, are you going to eat with us?"

"Nah, I only eat lunch and maybe I'll check up with my acquaintance this morning to see if I can finish this side project faster to be done with it."

"Ah, the advantage of having a large life energy pool... Anyways, I'll need to get to work. Bye."

"Yeah, bye. What about you Nova, do you have anything you want to know?"

Nova had been quiet for a while then she raised her face and looked at me in the eye "You know. I realized something."

"What is it?"

"I realized how much I hate you!" she fury in her voice was palpable

"What? Are you still hung up for being caught on my act earlier?"

"Hmph."

I chuckled at her "You see no matter how much you hate me; I will always love you."

"Idiot."

"Tsundere."

"What does that even mean?"

"It means that you are a very cute girl."

"I am one hundred percent sure that you are lying."

"How come?" I was genuinely curious

She shrugged "I just know."

"Are you still angry with me?"

"Of course. If you thought that my anger would dissipate just like that then you're wrong."

"Oh, come on... What if I make up to you?"

"How?" that gained her interest

"Let me think for a moment." 'Hmm, what would Nova enjoy?... Sweets? Do we even have sweets in this town? I don't think so. Rather, what does this town offer?... Not much... Unless, I search for crazy crafters like Yukiria and see the bizarre products they brought from Obsidian, I don't think I can bring anything that is of interest for Nova. If the town has nothing to offer, what about outside? However, there are only mountains and forests outside… Wait, that's it!' "I've got something you might enjoy."

"What is it?"

"How about we go camping outside?" 'A valuable experience and if we do it near the river, we can even go for a swim.'

"What? Camping?"

"Yes. It will be fun and you will get to spend the whole day with me. Actually, we should do multiple days, maybe even a week." 'The more I think about it, the more I like it'

"That sounds more like a punishment than a reward." She commented 'And the way she said it ticked me off'

"I see, so you also agree."

"I did not!"

"Don't worry, you don't have to be so humble-"

"I'm not!"

"I'll go start making all the preparations we need-"

"You don't have to-!"

"I'll find a way to convince old man Zane."

"Are you even listening to me?"

"Oh, I am. I just do not care."

"Are you trying to appease my anger or make it worse!?"

"Well, I have to go and get started. See you tomorrow or maybe after tomorrow so that we can discuss our fun trip together." I smiled at the end

"Are you angry?"

"I am one hundred percent completely calm."

"No, you sound angry."

"I am not."

"Okay, fine!" she exclaimed "I am sorry I over-reacted so, can you…" she looked at me expectantly

I sighed "I cannot stay mad at you for long… I too am sorry for the way I behaved."

"That's okay."

"I've got to go. Well, until next time."

"Yeah. Bye."

I waved at her and started making my way to Yukiria's shop. However, because Nova called me "Wait a second!"

"Yes?"

"When said "until next time", what exactly do you mean?"

I smiled at her "Of course so that we can discuss our trip."

"Wait, you're not actually?" Nova looked at me uncertain hoping that I was joking with her 'Too bad, because-'

"It's going to be fun~" I broke her expectations in one go and kept walking

"Only for you!" Nova screamed behind me at a volume that probably shook awake every single being in that building, but I just ignored her and did not stray away from my path

17