Chapter 1: Implacable Heat
33 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Summer is approaching. 

This inexorable fact creeps into my mind like a familiar melody as I find myself once again in the midst of a desperate search for resources. It has become my daily obsession, an unrelenting struggle for survival in a world rendered hostile by the relentless advance of heat. It is a necessary obsession, a constant battle for survival in a world where the climate has become our most ruthless enemy. Every day is a fight to find the essential resources: food, water, seeds, batteries, and rare materials. It's a dangerous job, a call I cannot ignore.

I stand within a crumbling building, once part of a vibrant, bustling city, now reduced to a pile of rubble and desolation. Its crumbling façade is a remnant of the past, while the wind seeps through cracks in the walls, carrying with it the acrid taste of sand.

With my hand, I wipe the dusty visor of my helmet.

My gaze falls on a small bag of seeds, hidden beneath a layer of dust and sand. On the bag, I read "Tomato." The seeds are our hope for the future, the promise of a new life amidst this devastation. I carefully gather them, sealing them in a container to preserve their vitality. Each seed is precious, a small step toward the rebirth we so desperately hope for.

I move on, searching for more resources, my gaze sweeping across the desolate expanse of sand and rocks. Every step I take kicks up clouds of dust that mingle with the hot air. The sun is about to rise, a fiery blaze in the sky that will mercilessly scorch us. My heat-resistant suit is my only protection, my shield against the invisible flames that threaten to consume us.

The oxygen inside the suit is limited, designed for a limited excursion outside the Domus. But this journey has been longer than usual, and anxiety begins to creep in. I'm not sure if I'll have enough oxygen to make it back. But I have no choice, I must search for resources for the community. I must take the risk.

The faded clock hanging on an unstable wall reads four in the morning, a lone numeral among many that once marked the rhythm of the days. But now time seems to slip away, an elusive and ever-changing entity, like the sand dancing in the wind. I glance at my watch. It's really four o'clock. It's true what they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Time is of the essence, a constant reality in a world where every day can bring a new challenge. Dawn is approaching, and with it, an unbearable heat that will scorch everything in its path. It's a heat we cannot survive without adequate protection. Currently, the thermometer reads 39 degrees Celsius (102 degrees Fahrenheit), but I know that this number will soon be a distant memory. The air is thick with oppressive anticipation, a foreboding of the scorching heat that awaits us.

The skin of the suit clings to my body, a sensation of an oppressive embrace that constantly reminds me of the challenge I'm facing. I gaze at the sky as it transitions from shades of red and orange to a brilliant blue. It's a captivating sight, but I don't have time for the wonders of nature. I must return to the Domus, the refuge we call home.

The hot, dusty wind that heralds the storm is growing stronger. I need to leave.

The etriclo is there, a resilient machine in a hostile world. It's a three-wheeled enclosed vehicle, with two gull-wing doors designed to survive the extreme temperatures of our world. A silent companion in our daily journey for survival. I step inside and secure every strap with care. The etriclo's batteries have been charged, but my mind is concerned about the oxygen. It's one of the most precious commodities, a vital resource in such a hostile environment.

I reflect on a few hours ago before I left. My sister, Maria, looked at me with worried eyes. She and my mother are everything to me. They share my fears. But they are the reason I keep going. "Be careful, Michele," my sister said with a faint voice. "I will, I promise," I replied with a light smile, trying to convey a sense of security I didn't feel.

But now it's time to go. The sandstorm is approaching, a wall of dust and wind that threatens to engulf everything in its path. I don't have much time. I must reach the Domus, our refuge, before the storm hits me.

I start the etriclo. The wheels begin to turn with a familiar hum, sinking into the hot sand. The wind blows, slamming against the windows, carrying with it stifling heat.

The battery charge indicator decreases slowly, a constant reminder of the challenge ahead. A beep in the etriclo's instrumentation draws my attention. I look at the control panel, anxiety rising as I see the flashing warning. The wind is rapidly intensifying, raising clouds of sand that obscure my vision. I don't have much time.

I need to accelerate, I need to reach the Domus before the storm catches up with me. But increasing speed means consuming more energy, and my battery is already draining. I need a plan. I quickly go through the options on my control panel, searching for a solution.

I can save energy by deactivating the oxygen recirculation and air conditioning systems. I know it's risky, but it's the only option I have. I disable the vital systems, feeling the flow of fresh air cut off inside my suit. The temperature starts to rise quickly, and my breathing becomes labored.

The etriclo accelerates with a powerful surge, the wheels spinning faster on the sand. The temperature inside the suit continues to rise, and oxygen becomes scarcer. My breathing becomes even more labored, and my heart races in my chest.

The sandstorm is getting closer, a wall of darkness that engulfs everything in its path. I need to accelerate, I need to reach the Domus before it's too late. But doubt fills my heart, and I wonder if I'll make it.

The etriclo's wheels roll on the hot sand, I feel the electric motor pushing its limits. The temperature is nearly unbearable, but I can't afford to slow down. The Domus is close, right in front of me, a beacon of hope in the midst of the blazing desert.

The temperature continues to rise, and the oxygen inside the suit becomes even more scarce. My vision blurs, but I can't afford to slow down. I spot the bold letters "SPERANZA" on one of the domes that make up our Domus. The etriclo's wheels hiss on the sand, and I finally reach the entrance of the refuge.

The hatch opens just in time, and I drive inside the Domus at high speed. I slam on the brakes with all my strength, and the wheels screech as they skid. The vehicle comes to a jolting stop, slamming against a hangar wall. I hit my head against the glass.

The impact generates a sharp pain, but it's insignificant compared to the gratitude I feel for having survived.

Giancarlo, one of the mechanics from the Domus, is there to pull me out of the etriclo. His face is a mix of concern and anger.

"Damn idiot!" he exclaims, pulling me out with force. "What the hell were you thinking?" "I had just fixed that etriclo, and now you've damaged it and the wall!"

I rub my throbbing head and smile weakly. "I'm glad you care about my well-being."

Giancarlo shakes his head, visibly frustrated. "Equipment and vehicles are more valuable than anything, even us. Get that through your head, kid."

His words are harsh, but I know he's right. In such a hostile world, every resource is vital for our survival, and we must do everything we can to protect them. I nod with gratitude, accepting his reprimand. I struggle to stand. I'm a bit dizzy from the impact, but fortunately, it seems I haven't suffered any serious injuries.

Giancarlo looks at me with a softer expression and gives me a pat on the shoulder. "Alright, go rest. And next time, think twice before risking your life so recklessly."

I smile. "I found some good loot, it was worth it."

My sister arrives, running over, her eyes full of worry and relief as she approaches. "Are you okay, Michele?" she asks with an anxious voice.

"Yes, I'm safe," I reply with a sigh of relief. I take off my helmet, feeling the cool air of the Domus caress my sweaty face. Maria hugs me tightly, and I return the embrace affectionately.

I walk wearily to my room in the Domus, feeling the exhaustion and adrenaline finally leaving me. I sit on the bed and remove the heat-resistant suit, the air conditioning comforting me. I look out the window, watching the sandstorm battering the desolate landscape. I've survived once again, but I know that every day in this world is a struggle for survival. A battle we cannot afford to lose.

"ATTENTION! DUE TO THE STORM, ENERGY-SAVING MODE ACTIVATED." The crackling intercom warns that the solar panels won't generate electricity for a while due to the sandstorm, and that we need to reduce energy consumption.

I lie down on the bed and close my eyes, allowing exhaustion to envelop me. But even in my dreams, the persistent notion of the impending summer haunts me, a constant reminder of the challenges that await us. I am determined to do everything in my power to protect my family and our community, even if it means facing the unrelenting storms and heat of this ruthless world.

2