Chapter 11: Just One Little Pill
2 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The anger boils within me, a volcano erupting, threatening to engulf me. I can't believe that all these murders and suffering are caused by absurd ideals. This is pure malevolence, a corruption of the human soul that has reached unimaginable proportions. How can one reason with such people? How can one seek common ground when their very essence is stained with the blood of innocents?

A comforting hand rests on my shoulder as if to reassure me. It's Otilia, calming me with her gaze, with a simple touch that communicates more than a thousand words. I can see beyond those piercing blue eyes that she holds the same hatred I do towards the raiders. Hatred that, instead of becoming a chain linking us to their cruelty, becomes the engine driving us to fight them, to end their reign of terror.

"To be hard and pure, from whom we wouldn't have extracted anything, you've given us some interesting information." Otilia comments with a hint of irony, reflecting on the raiders' words. Her voice is calm, but in her gaze, I see a burning flame of determination.

"We haven't said anything important. Those are things you'll learn soon enough. At your own expense." Saverio retorts with a mocking grin, his dark eyes gleaming with contempt. His arrogant attitude sends shivers of disgust down my spine. How much lack of humanity can be hidden in a single individual?

"I disagree. Now we know that Toronto will come looking for you, and we'll be ready to receive him." Otilia firmly rebuts.

"You're a real idiot, Shit-head!" Brina bursts into a sarcastic laughter, her audacious smile seeming to shine like a rebellious star.

"Idiot, and then it's me who should've spilled everything!" Filomena seems almost caught in regret, but her voice exhales an air of defiance, a challenge directed at the cruelty of the fate that pitted them against us.

"Do you really think you can ambush Toronto? His attack will be like a sandstorm. He'll hit so hard that you'll be swept away. We're numerous and well-armed. We're a pack of wolves ready to devour everything in our path." Saverio's voice is cold and sharp like a honed blade, a threat hidden behind every word.

"So, he'll arrive with numerous men." Otilia thinks, her gaze becoming more focused, more intense. She's evaluating every option, seeking the best way to face the approaching hurricane. "We need to prepare."

"Captain, what do you intend to do?" Milano asks, his face expressing a mix of curiosity and excitement, like a child about to discover a new game.

"We need time. Get the explosives. You and Brina blow up the raiders' vehicle. This way, they'll struggle to trace it." Otilia announces confidently, her voice as steady as a rock in the midst of the storm.

"I can't deny that I really like the idea!" Milano exclaims with his newfound carefree attitude, a playful smile gracing his face. His energy is infectious, a ray of light piercing through the dark clouds surrounding us.

I join Brina and Milano in handling the explosives. We work together under Milano's watchful eye, carefully placing each charge as if we were creating an intricate mosaic of destruction. Beneath my fingers, I feel the cool metal's freshness and the weight of the responsibilities we're shouldering.

"I've always loved explosions. It's a shame we have to avoid them these days," Milano sarcastically comments, trying to lighten the tension with a touch of dark humor.

Then comes the moment of the explosion.

The air is filled with a deafening roar, a whirlwind of flames and debris rises high like a winged dragon soaring in the sky. A shower of golden sparks illuminates the twilight like a fireworks display. The flame dances and climbs towards the sky, turning the night into a stage of destructive spectacle. Smoke expands and mingles with the air, creating a dark cloud that slowly dissipates in the wind like a fading ghost.

"Great job. This will slow them down a bit." Otilia commends with an approving nod, her smile a flash of pride and determination.

"We should inform Rinascita." Brina suggests, her gaze focused as she evaluates the next moves to make.

"Yes, let's leave immediately. Milano, take the wheel. Michele and Brina, watch over the prisoners," Otilia orders as we set off towards Rinascita.

The Caravan hits the road again, its six wheels racing over the battered road, the engine humming like a summoning of freedom. The sandy wind whipping against the vehicle is like a harsh caress, a promise of a world beyond the rubble and desolation.

The prisoners spend their time provoking me and trying to frighten me by recounting what they'll do when they're free. Despite the desire for revenge, I try to maintain my calm; their words can't dent me. Each threat is but a distant echo, a desperate attempt to scare me. I try to remain composed. I know that yielding to anger and violence would only make me akin to them.

Brina shoots me a glance and smiles. "I'm starting to see you improve, Zombie. I like this more impulsive side of you."

I smile weakly.

She's referring to when I punched Saverio. Truthfully, I'm not proud of losing control. But hearing about the abuse they inflicted on women in the domus made me feel a rage I've never experienced in my life. I can't let the Raiders get away with it. I have to do it to honor the memory of my mother and sister.

"Since you've got what you wanted, how about giving me a little pill? What harm can it do?" Filomena asks me, a sly smile painted on her face like a mask of defiance.

"Already in withdrawal, Nice-hair?" Brina asks her with disgust, her sarcasm as palpable as the animosity flowing between us.

"No, it's just that it wouldn't hurt to relax a little. You sheep don't know how to have fun. Always trying to survive. Always trying to push one more day. You should let go. This world isn't suited for you. In nature, you have to evolve, and we're the next evolutionary step." Filomena asserts with a confidence that almost seems persuasive, as if she's trying to convince us to give up on our hopes and aspirations.

"Drugs are really doing a number on you..." Brina mocks her, shaking her head with a disapproving grimace.

"I don't know if you've noticed, but it's full of things out there that can kill you long before a little pill can." the Raider responds, her conviction unwavering.

She's obviously referring to the killer heat.

"You might even be right, but know that you won't get any more of that crap from me." I tell her with an icy tone.

My words hit her hard. I can see the terror in her eyes. The mere idea of not being able to get high freezes her.

"Listen, dude... There's no need to be so definitive about it. Don't you think we can find a middle ground?" she says in a more accommodating tone, a stark change from before.

"Shut your mouth, Filomena!" Saverio orders her.

"Your name's Michele, right? How about we make a trade?" the girl continues, unfazed.

"You have nothing that could interest me." I respond coldly.

"Mind you, I can give you some fun... I'm good with my mouth..." she says mischievously, winking.

"And you'd be a wolf, Nice-hair? Don't make me laugh!" Brina mocks her.

"I should've killed you a long time ago, you ugly whore!" Saverio insults Filomena, turning his rage towards her.

"Come on, Michele, just one... otherwise, I can't clear my head." she pleads with languid eyes.

1