Chapter 14: The General
2 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Exiting the elevator, I find myself in a waiting room in Rinascita. The place is very different from what I could have imagined. The atmosphere is tense, with security cameras scrutinizing every corner, almost as if we were constantly being watched by invisible eyes. This is not my world; this is something entirely new and unknown.

A sense of oppression creeps over me as we advance towards the imposing hermetic door. The door looks like a bulwark, a barrier between the outside world and what lies behind it. "Command Center," I read above us.

Otilia, with her usual aplomb, approaches a device next to the door. It has the shape of a split helmet, with an opening at the top where she can place her face. As I watch, she removes her helmet, revealing the determined yet weary features of someone who has seen too much in the post-apocalyptic world. Otilia has the kind of leadership that makes you feel safe, even in the most dangerous situations.

She starts placing her face into the device. A beam of red light passes through her face, moving from right to left, as if scanning every detail. Tension rises, and my gaze is fixed on her, hoping for the best. I'm beginning to understand that nothing here is left to chance. Operations are carried out with military precision.

The light turns green, and a collective relief washes over our group. A cold, robotic voice warns through a hidden speaker, "Captain Otilia 8876, Identity Confirmed. Access to the command center granted."

The door opens with a rush of vacuum air, revealing the darkness inside. Otilia motions with her hand, inviting us to move forward. My heart beats faster as I step toward that threshold.

We enter a decompression chamber. Otilia puts her helmet back on and makes sure we keep ours on. Milano's voice, with a playful spirit, breaks the silence. "Finally, a nice shower, even if I'd prefer it to be water and maybe cold." His light-hearted remark is a welcome relief, easing my tension.

Brina, on the other hand, warns me bluntly, "Get ready, Zombie. It's a sensation that's not easy to get used to." Her voice is laden with experience, and I know she's not exaggerating. She must have gone through this procedure many times.

In her guiding role, Otilia explains in detail what's about to happen. The decontamination air shower at different pressure is an advanced technology used to remove any possible contaminants from our bodies. It's designed for environments where it's necessary to prevent the transfer of dust, bacteria, and other contaminants between two adjacent areas, like a cleanroom.

Otilia continues, explaining that this process is accomplished through the action of high-speed air jets supplemented with silver ions, which remove particles from us and our clothes. The air used is filtered through HEPA filters, ensuring the cleanest environment possible.

As Otilia speaks, I try to absorb this information, trying to imagine the complex engineering behind this procedure. I realize that this is not just a security routine but a precautionary measure to prevent the spread of any contaminants within the Command Center.

Otilia concludes her explanation, telling me to prepare. "Michele, hold on tight." This is her only warning before the robotic voice informs us that the decontamination process is starting. "Decontamination process initiated."

Suddenly, like a torrent of fire, I'm hit by numerous streams of hot air. It's an intense, almost painful experience. I have to plant my feet and clench my fists to keep from being blown away.

It's a process that lasts only a few minutes, but it feels like an eternity. As the air jets do their work, my mind drifts through memories of how it all began, how I lost my family, and how I met Otilia and her group. This shower, in some way, is a kind of purification, a chance to start anew.

"Process complete," the computerized voice finally declares. The air jets cease, and silence returns to the room. The hermetic door opens again, revealing the next room.

Once we exit the cleanroom, the door closes behind us, sealing us back into this underground world.

"Not pleasant, is it?" I say aloud, trying to process my feelings.

"Tell me about it, my friend." Milano agrees with a smile. His voice carries an understanding tone, as if he knows exactly what I'm going through.

"You can remove your helmet." Otilia informs us, and we immediately start unfastening the helmet closures. I feel like I've worn it for years, and finally breathing fresh air is a relief.

We step out of the decompression chamber and find ourselves inside the command center. The walls are lined with metallic panels and screens flashing with constantly updated data and information. Men and women in uniforms move frantically, giving the impression of a highly organized anthill.

Otilia leads us through the command center, heading towards a more private area where the General's office is located. Two men on either side of the door guard it, their expressions serious. They signal us to enter, and the doors open automatically.

Inside, I see an elderly but imposing man in military uniform. He has a stern demeanor, yet at the same time, he exudes an aura of authority that is hard to ignore. His blue eyes penetrate the soul, and his gray, sparse hair gives him an air of wisdom.

Brina approaches me and whispers in my ear, "That's General Venturi. He commands and manages our Rinascita community."

"He was a big shot before the collapse, and still is." Milano adds in a hushed voice.

I observe the man with a mixture of respect and curiosity. He's one of the few people in the world who has lived in both worlds, before and after the collapse of civilization.

"How old do you think he is?" I ask in a low voice, feeling like a stranger in this world.

"Around eighty, I guess. But don't be fooled by his age. He's a sharp mind and an extraordinary strategist." Brina replies.

The General wears a blue military beret that partially covers his balding head, and he has a well-groomed white beard. The reading glasses he wears are a sign of the time he dedicates to reading documents and the bureaucracy necessary for the survival of the Rinascita community.

The General looks up from the documents he's examining and smiles slightly when he sees Otilia. "Otilia, welcome back. I see your team is in good health." His voice is calm and confident, a reflection of his authority.

Then, his eyes land on me, the newcomer. "I see we have a guest." My stomach tightens as General Venturi scrutinizes me as if he wants to uncover every secret I carry.

Otilia responds respectfully, "General, this is Michele, a survivor from a Raider attack." She then adds, "We encountered some difficulties along the way and captured two Raiders."

The General nods and looks at me again, with an intensity that makes me uneasy. "It's good to see a new face. Now, I would like to hear your report. What have you discovered along the way?"

Otilia begins to recount our adventure, describing the encounters with the Raiders, the resources found, and the challenges faced. She tells of how they found me dying in the desert, how I led them to the besieged Eureka domus, the mysterious transmission from the New Nation, and President Penelope Romano. The General listens attentively, asking pointed questions and taking notes on his tablet.

As Otilia speaks, I can't help but watch General Venturi with a certain admiration and a touch of fear. This elderly man represents a piece of history that has been lost in time. He has seen the world crumble and has led his community through the darkness. He's a figure that inspires respect.

"General, we've seized these weapons from the captured Raiders." Otilia hands over three advanced assault rifles. "Additionally, Michele recovered one from a Raider from a different group that attacked his domus." Otilia points to the markings indicating the origin on all three. "All three weapons are marked Starfield Corp."

"Starfield Corp... That's a name I know well." the General states, taking one of the rifles and examining it closely. "Too new to be a salvaged weapon."

"What can you tell us about the brand?" Otilia asks, and I, too, await the answer, eager to learn more about this mysterious company.

"Starfield was one of the most powerful multinational corporations before the collapse. Their primary field was space exploration, but they didn't limit themselves to that. They provided advanced technology to many organizations, including NASA and ESA. Their influence extended in many directions. Human survival after the collapse largely relies on their technology." The voice of General Venturi is loaded with meaning, as if he's revealing one of the best-kept secrets of Rinascita.

This revelation strikes me deeply. It means that much of the technology around us, from the domus to the vehicles, is based on Starfield Corp's technology.

"Anyway, I'll have these weapons analyzed by our technicians. They might reveal important information." The General seems determined to find out more about these weapons.

"We tried to interrogate the prisoners, but they didn't provide useful information." Otilia adds, trying to share everything we've discovered.

"They'll be interrogated by specialists later." the General decides. "We'll see if they have anything interesting to tell us."

At the end of the report, the General rises from his desk and approaches us. "Thank you for your information. It seems you've done an excellent job gathering valuable data."

Otilia nods respectfully, "We're here to serve, General."

The General then turns to me. "Michele, if I understand correctly, you're a survivor of a Raider attack. I can imagine how difficult it must have been."

A bit intimidated, I nod. "It was a terrible experience, General. But I'm grateful to Otilia and her group for saving me."

The General smiles, "Well, you're safe here. We have a strong community and many talents that can help you rebuild your life."

Rebuilding my life. It's a prospect I haven't really faced yet. So far, I've lived day by day, reacting to the events around me. But now, here, safe in Rinascita, maybe it's time to think about my future.

Otilia adds, "General, there's another aspect to consider. We lost someone during the mission. Michele's sister died as a result of the Raider attack. We've collected her body and preserved it according to protocols. We would like to organize a funeral ceremony for her."

"I understand, my most sincere condolences, Michele." The loss of my sister Maria is still fresh in my mind, and his words hit me deeply.

"Thank you, General."

"But I must inform you of our rules." The General turns to me with a more formal and authoritative tone. "Here in Rinascita, we salvage resources from any source to ensure the community's survival. From the bodies of the deceased, we recover useful organs and body parts to save lives in need. We also collect bodily fluids and recycle them."

The news surprises me. I'm not sure how to react to this information. "You're not obligated to accept this. However, in that case, we wouldn't be able to accept you into the community, nor would we be able to accept your sister's body." The discussion about preserving and recycling the organs of the deceased leaves me stunned. It might seem like a harsh and inhumane reality, but I understand the dilemma. In a world where resources are scarce, every small contribution to the community's survival is essential. And if Maria's organs could save a life, it would be a way to honor her memory.

"I understand," I reply slowly. "At the Speranza domus, I've never been in this situation, but I imagine we would have done the same if it had happened. If my sister's organs could save someone's life, I would be glad. Maria was a generous person, and I believe she would have wanted to make sense of all this." The words come out of my mouth with conflicting feelings, but a part of me knows it's the right choice.

The General shakes my hand with a strength I didn't expect. "You have a wise perspective, Michele. We will do everything we can to honor your sister and use the resources with the utmost respect." Then he confirms the decision, "Prepare for the ceremony, and inform all the members of Fort Rebirth. We will honor her memory."

I can't hold back a tear, quickly wiping it away with my hand. The General turns to Otilia and shakes her hand, smiling. "Great work, Otilia. Thanks to your work, we know about the Raider threat and Toronto. Your team is invaluable to us."

Otilia responds humbly, "We will always do our best to contribute to the community, General."

After another brief exchange of words, the General grants our group permission to rest and explore the command center. As we head towards the common areas, I reflect on the day that has just passed.

I've lost track of time since leaving my domus. My life has changed so rapidly that I haven't had time to process it all. Now that we're safe here in Rinascita, I'm starting to feel the accumulated exhaustion and fraying nerves.

1