Chapter 18: Jailbreak
3 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Saverio can't stand the hypocrisy of these damned sheep. Imprisoning criminals? It's 2074, not the world before the collapse. Justice is enforced with force, and with it, one asserts their own reasons. Because might makes right. This is the creed of the raiders, and it's the creed of Toronto.

Saverio has been patient. Meticulous. He has kept a low profile. He has appeared calm, obeying what he was asked to do, except for talking. He hasn't said a word to the sheep. Pathetic sheep who haven't even tortured him. How do they expect to extract information from him without torture? They simply limited themselves to interrogating him, and he limited himself to not answering.

That bitch who thinks she's everything, Katia. She played the bad cop while a wart named Franco played the good one. Tricks from the old world, from weak sheep. Saverio would have liked to show them how wolves conduct an interrogation. He is sure he could have extracted any information from these sheep. His favorite way to start is by ripping out their nails with pliers. Saverio thinks it puts the interrogated person in the right mood.

Saverio has resisted Rinascita's interrogations with great nonchalance. He hasn't been impressed at all by their threats or their contemptuous attitude. They are weak sheep. He is a wolf. Ready to pounce on them.

In the days he spent in the cell, he studied the guards' routines, meals, and interrogations. He understood who the toughest guards were and who the most malleable ones were. Saverio noticed that the guards had shifts and were rotated. In particular, he realized that the weak link was a certain Tommy, a young guy, a new recruit. He noticed that he was never able to look him in the eye, but above all, he seemed unsure, probably due to lack of experience. Another one who seemed to be afraid even of his own shadow was a certain Sandro. More experienced than Tommy, but with a modest physique and not accustomed to combat like Saverio.

Saverio is ready to seize the opportunity when it's Tommy and Sandro who accompany him to the interrogation room. Saverio just has to be patient and wait.

Things start moving when an extra fork is placed in his daily meal. Obviously, the guards check that the prisoners don't retain knives or cutlery from their tray at the end of the meal. Probably due to an oversight, whoever prepared the meal put two forks instead of one and a knife. Saverio can't believe how lucky he is. Having studied the positions of the cameras, he positions himself in a blind spot and hides the extra fork that shouldn't be there. Now he has a weapon.

Saverio has been calm throughout his imprisonment. He wants the guards to lower their guard, sending them into a false sense of security.

The day of escape arrives. At the usual time, the guards come to take him from his cell to the daily interrogation. The guards are Tommy and Sandro. Just the two he wanted.

As they continue down the corridor, Saverio starts coughing violently. His body twists, and he appears to be in pain. One of the guards, Tommy, approaches with concern, trying to understand what's happening.

"Are you okay?" the guard asks, leaning towards Saverio.

Saverio coughs again, trying to maintain an expression of suffering. "I don't know... I don't feel well..." he gasps.

The guard, worried about the prisoner's health, approaches even closer to examine him better. It's a mistake he would soon regret. In the meantime, Saverio stealthily slides the hidden fork out of his sleeve and grabs it with his hand.

With a lightning-fast motion, he thrusts the fork into Tommy's eye, causing him to scream in pain. "UARGHHGAGAGH! MY EYE!"

"What the hell are you doing, you bastard!" Sandro shoulders his rifle and aims it at Saverio, but Tommy is in the line of fire, and the raider seizes the opportunity to take the rookie hostage.
He takes Tommy's gun and shoots Sandro in the head, killing him instantly.
Then he points the gun at the still suffering Tommy, who is terrified and begging for mercy.
"N-no... please, don't shoot."
"Where do you keep my companion? Answer well if you value your life."
"I-in the b-back... At the end of the corridor, on the right."
"How do I open the door?"
"W-with the card... this one..." Tommy says, pulling a card out of his pocket.
"Excellent," Saverio smiles with satisfaction.
BANG.
The sound of the gunshot reverberates in the corridor.
Saverio fires, splattering the hostage's brains on the white walls of the corridor.
As if nothing had happened, he picks up the card from the guard's corpse.
Now he has to free that wench Filomena. He'll need her to escape from this place, and then they'll have to return to Toronto. He doesn't have much time before the whole bunker goes on alert.
Saverio quickly walks down the corridor, turns right, and reaches Filomena's cell. He uses the card on the reader, and the door opens.

Filomena is on the floor, reduced to a wreck. Hearing the door open, she raises her head in surprise. "S-Saverio?!" the red-haired and silver-haired woman exclaims.
"Get up, bitch, we're getting out of this shithole," the man orders.
Filomena tries to get up with great effort. Being in withdrawal is taking its toll. Saverio thinks about leaving her behind. He has never liked her, but Toronto is attached to what he considers his.

Filomena tries to get up, but her legs are trembling. Her health is visibly compromised by imprisonment and lack of substances. However, her gaze is fixed on Saverio, a mixture of anger, gratitude, and hope in her eyes.

"Saverio... Please, don't leave me here," she stammers, struggling to control her exhausted voice.

Saverio, despite his reputation as a ruthless raider, hesitates for a moment. His mind is torn between the thirst for revenge, the desire to return to Toronto, and the contempt but also the perverse sense of camaraderie he has with Filomena. He hadn't planned on taking care of a drug addict during his escape.

"Don't make a sound and follow me closely," Saverio hisses, casting a worried glance at the deserted corridor. Every second counts. "Take this rifle," he says, handing her one of the guards' weapons.

Filomena nods weakly, trying to gather all her strength. She takes the weapon and follows Saverio as he leads her along the dark and silent corridor. The tension in the air is palpable, and Saverio is constantly on the alert.

They reach the door that leads to the exit of the cell block where they were imprisoned. Saverio uses the card, and the door opens slowly. He pushes through the opening, with Filomena following him weakly. They are finally out of their cells, but their escape has only just begun.

Saverio knows they have to find a way to elude Rinascita's security and reach freedom. He looks at Filomena, his fellow sufferer at this moment, and wonders how far she will go to survive.

"Are you ready?" Saverio whispers, his eyes fixed on the empty corridors stretching out before them.

Filomena nods weakly.

As Saverio and Filomena try to escape from the cell and head toward the main prison door, they suddenly hear heavy footsteps approaching. It's Michele, who is coming to the prison for unknown reasons.

Their paths cross just as Saverio is about to open the door. Michele, with his heart pounding, quickly pulls out his gun and holds it tightly in his hands, finding himself face to face with the dangerous raider.

"M-Mickey?" Filomena exclaims in surprise.

Saverio immediately raises his gun, aiming it at Michele, while Filomena, stumbling, hides behind a corner.

Michele is visibly shaken but determined to prevent their escape. His wrists tremble, but he holds the gun firmly. "How the hell did you manage to escape?" he asks and then orders the raiders, "Surrender and drop your weapons. You won't get out of here!" he says firmly, trying to hide his fear.

Saverio, on the other hand, smiles malevolently. "Look who we have here, the foolish kid. Do you really think you can stop me?"

A moment of tense silence pervades the prison. Then, without warning, a firefight begins. The guns fire, with shots echoing sharply, resounding in the dark and eerie prison corridors.

Michele, despite his inexperience in combat situations, is surprisingly adept at keeping his cool. He takes cover behind a column as Saverio's bullets whistle through the air.

Saverio, on the other hand, moves swiftly from one corner to another, trying to catch Michele off guard. The prison becomes an improvised battlefield, with the two men locked in a fight for survival.

Suddenly, a deafening alarm tears through the air. The sirens wail, and emergency lights flash red, plunging the shelter into chaos.
<<ATTENTION! PRISONER ESCAPED. THE PRISONER IS ARMED AND DANGEROUS.>> The voice over the intercom echoes throughout the bunker, putting pressure on the two fugitives.

"Damn it, I don't have time for this!" Saverio curses.

Meanwhile, Filomena is trapped in the middle of this shootout. She's terrified and doesn't know what to do. She watches helplessly as the situation unfolds before her eyes.

"Shoot, bitch! We need to get out of here!" Saverio orders her, yelling.

Filomena hesitates. Then she aims the rifle at Michele.

"SHOOT!"

1