Chapter 4 – Trust
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Ooh! Is that your cheat then!?” May asked with stars in her eyes. “We were just talking about it before you came back!”

When May and Hansel were talking about the mainstream plot, they once mentioned about how the very existence of their items were odd in the first place. The items, along with their weird-fashioned clothes and the new set of memories, appeared out of nowhere after they opened the doors leading outside.

May speculated that it could have been part of the summoning; that it was nothing more than a little flavor text from their summoners, but Hansel opposed the idea. It would be unreasonable for their summoners, who were supposedly lacking in manpower to begin with, to be kind enough as to give each and every summoned ‘heroes’ flavor text containing whole sets of memories when they were supposed to be disposable in the first place.

“I don't know if it should be considered a cheat though. It only changed when I slashed the big wolf. When I slashed a tree afterwards, it just stayed as this wooden sword,” Gon continued. “It might have turned into a weapon today, but I don't know whether I can do it again in the future.”

“From what May sees, May doesn't think that the old man who summoned us would leave us behind in the middle of nowhere without cheats. Otherwise it would be no different than summoning cannon-fodder. Everyone probably has a hidden power, but we just don't know how to use it yet.”

“In that case, I propose that we spend the next two days finding out how to activate our powers,” Neon said with a firm voice as he stood up from his chair. “We are not certain whether this ‘assistant’ is amiable or not, and in the worst case scenario they might try to force us to do things we don't want.”

Everyone didn't know whether they are strong or weak in this world. Having been summoned to another world, one would think that they were chosen ones; special people who got cheat abilities and superpowers, but the truth was that nobody felt anything other than the subsiding pain from the headache they got when they received the memories.

The group who stayed at the settlement spent hours shouting words while hoping that they could summon a fireball or at the very least a game interface. But to their disappointment, nothing happened and they ended up embarrassing themselves in front of each other.

Now that they had gotten the hint that their powers were hidden inside their items, everyone were excited to find out their powers. ...except a certain boy who raised his hand.

“It's not that I disagree with you but... I have a pillow for god's sake!”

The boy who adopted the name of Nakamura Haru on a whim was given a set of pajamas and a pillow upon his summoning. After witnessing Gon kill the big wolf, the four men from the scouting group discussed how they would activate their abilities.

Haru had briefly attempted to sleep in the middle of the woods before he gave up within minutes. He couldn't sleep as he kept thinking that a  monster might kill him while he was asleep. Despite travelling with three other men, he didn't believe for a moment that the other three would actually protect him.

“You didn't actually sleep back then, right? Maybe your ability activates when you sleep or something?” Pierre asked. “In my case though, I'd have to rely on my new memories to play this harp, and even then it doesn't seem like I am suited for combat with this thing.”

“Regardless whether you are fit for combat or not, I believe that it is better to understand our abilities as soon as possible,” Hansel calmly spoke in monotone. “If worst comes to worst and we are actually disposable pawns... then it would be best to show them that we actually have some value so they wouldn't throw us in the mines or something.”

Pierre flinched in response to Hansel, and held his head as he received another wave of headache.

“Hansel, please don't mention stuff like that. Some of us can't handle those.”

“Ah, are you uncomfortable because of me? My apologies. I had assumed that everyone had already expected this much when we were summoned.” The librarian's gaze wandered over the farm girl. “Clearly, I was wrong. I will pay more attention to it next time.”

“Alright everyone, I believe this is enough for today. Let's go home and rest so we can start training tomorrow.”

Everyone nodded to Matthew's words and left Pierre's house after giving small goodbyes, entering their own house.

When he confirmed that everyone had returned home, one male individual exited his house to pay someone a visit.

---

Nnn... this is quite a pickle.

At first I thought that Doc was the only protagonist who had to choose two or three people to form a party before going off on some life-threatening adventure while I can lay low as one of the side characters who got left behind, but after talking with Hansel it's obvious that this ‘story’ is not following the mainstream plot. Haa... this is so bothersome.

Within three days, someone will come to assist us in getting used to this world... but why were we given three days in the first place? The Baron of Depthwell showed right in front of me that he could teleport, so why wouldn't the assistant do the same? Even if the ability to teleport is uncommon or rare in this world, why couldn't the Baron bring the assistant with him? Why wasn't the assistant with the Baron when we were summoned? ...there are still some unknown factors, but there is one general conclusion: our summoning was something with haste; it wasn't planned at all.

*knock knock*

Regardless of whether we were summoned as heroes, pawns, or even cannon-fodder, a summoning always involve a summoner or a ritual. There weren't any guards to capture us. There was no king to greet us. We didn't encounter any deities. Even if the Baron was the summoner, he suddenly left us alone for an unknown reason.

*knock knock*

Then there is the biggest mystery... why were we summoned in these houses? Electricity and water are running through the house. There are fresh food in the fridges. Where did these come from? Who gave these to us?

*knock knock knock*

...it's no good. I can't think of any answers without more information. We truly are in an ‘everything goes’ world, huh? If I can think rationally like this instead of panicking for hours, then everyone's minds have probably also been altered. It was most likely when we received the ‘false’ memories. I still want to go back to my world, but my yearning desire to go home is already starting to slowly fade. ...or is that just poor excuse to get away from reality?

*BAM! BAM! BAM!*

“WHA-- YES, I'M COMING!”

I didn't think I would ever become one of those characters think so hard that they ignored the noise around them! Is this also an influence from May's memories? At any rate, who would visit Poor May this late in the night!?

There are no windows near the entrance, so I can't see who is knocking at the door. The knocking finally stops now that I am in front of the door, but I would be lying if I say I am not afraid right now. If one of us wanted to say something, then they could've done that at Pierre's house. Am I about to get killed this soon!?

“It's me, Hansel. I want to show you something at my house. Preferably, I don't want anyone to know about it... but I trust that you are able to keep a secret from the others.”

Hansel Grimm... From a glance, he looks more like the silent lone wolf stereotype, and his item is just a book with blank pages. Even though he doesn't show a lot of expression on his face, he becomes rather passionate once he starts opening his mouth. We discussed a lot about this world today, and I think he is somewhat of a good guy because of that, but...

“...”

...I thought about it, I really did. But in the end, my answer is:

“Sorry Hansel, but I can't bring myself to trust you enough to open this door.”

It's already late, and him wanting to ‘show something’ is simply too fishy no matter how I look at it. Most importantly... I really don't want to go outside with a man at this hour.

“...I understand. I will leave you alone. Whenever you think you are ready to trust me, knock on my door.”

I hear him walk away from the door, and after confirming that he is truly gone I sigh in relief. If it was something important, then he should've probably told everyone anyway. Even if he really has a secret thing, it doesn't outweigh the risk.

I definitely don't... I definitely won't regret my decision.

---

When the sun had risen, Matthew opened his door, and was greeted by a party of three. Angelie the farm girl was standing at the center of the settlement, merrily chatting with Gon the swordsman. Meanwhile, Pierre the musician was sitting next to his house. He was leaning his body on one of his legs while the other was stretched out.

“Good morning everyone. Have you slept well?”

“Morning Matthew! I slept like a log, so I'm ready to do anything today!” the farmer smiled, brimming with energy.

“Can't say I had a good sleep, but at least I slept,” Pierre replied, loud and tired.

“I slept fine, thanks for asking,” Gon answered last. “It seems that the four of us are early birds, but with only half of everyone awake, I don't think we will get far with anything. Should I wake the others up?”

“Iiiiii say we jusht leave them be,” the musician slurred. After standing up, he sluggishly walked over towards the center to join the other three. Matthew saw that he was struggling to keep his eyes open.

“Pierre, are you feeling well?” Matthew worriedly asked. “How do I say this... you don't really look that great at the moment, and I am somewhat concerned about your health. I want everyone to be at their peak condition for the following two days, and you look like you really need--”

*thud*

Before Matthew could finish his sentence, Pierre stopped moving and fell forward face first to the ground.

“Wha-- Oi, Pierre!”

1