Chapter 7 – Communicate
7 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“First it was a security room, next it was an arsenal... I wonder what we will get this time?” Angelie said with anticipation in her voice.

Everyone opened the door and turned on the lights from outside the room. The first thing they saw were three static screens covering large portions of the white walls. At the center of the room stood a control panel showing a black screen with two words in red: “Communication Offline”

“Is this... a communication center!?”

“Is it still working!?”

“Everyone, calm down!” Matthew shouted. “I get that we are all desperate for information, but let's stay calm and inspect the equipment first, shall we? Pierre, you are the owner of the house. Could you please check out the terminal?”

The musician nodded and proceeded to investigate the commands of the terminal. However, after a few minutes he screamed in frustration before the red screen in front of him.

“What the heck? Who would make such a stupid system!?”

“What's the matter?”

“Okay, so I may not be a technician, but this interface is surprisingly not that difficult to understand because there is a literal help manual programmed in every page. According to it, I can confirm that this is indeed a communication device... but apparently this terminal doesn't have any authority to send out any messages. In other words, this thing can only receive messages!”

“So essentially it is like an email service, right? Are there any messages in the inbox?”

“It's more like a telecommunications application. We can also receive video calls, but they wouldn't be able to see nor hear us. As for the inbox, there is nothing there. What's even more stupid is that I can't even access the trash folder!”

“Can't access the... In other words, there has to be another terminal who can give you authorization, right?”

“Yeah, though we can apparently also put in a 32-digit numerical code to gain full access over this terminal. I tried typing random numbers, but that didn't work out. On top of that, there is a 10 minute cooldown if we put in the wrong code! I swear to god, this is the worst room ever!”

“Oh please, stop your whining already,” May sighed. “At least you have this room. Unlike Mr. Rationalist, Mr. Overpowered, and you, Mr. Unconscious, the rest of us don't have anything special about our houses.”

With concerned eyes, Matthew and Neon looked at each other. The latter talked first: “Miss May, just as we did not choose to be abducted into this world, we did not choose which--”

“That's not the point, you moron!” May screamed at the top of her lungs. She glared at the man in black before grabbing him by the collar, dragging the tall man down to her level. “You were the one who said you wanted more knowledge so we are more likely to survive in this world, right? That is why you begged Mr. Selfish over there to cooperate, right!?” With teardrops forming in her eyes, she pointed at Hansel. “Each and every one of us are so desperate for information, and yet this ungrateful slacker still has got the nerve to complain about the gift he received!?”

“Huh? That's not what I--”

“Alright, that's enough!” Matthew intervened. “This is something you could have talked over in private. May, go outside and cool your head off.”

“Tch! Even though you guys were the one who started it,” May retorted before she left Pierre's house sobbing.

“What was that all about anyway?” Gon asked.

“If it's not something related to her personal past, then it might be an influence from our memories,” Hansel answered. As confused eyes turned to him, he continued: “Surely you don't think that we are the same person as the people before we opened the door? Have you ever wondered why we were able to scout right off the bat instead of panic for hours and days, screaming and raging about our confusing situation and why we are now here instead of home?”

Was it common for someone to not panic if they are to ever suddenly transported to another world? Perhaps it was for a minority, but there was a difference between ‘staying calm to because you actively calm yourself from panic’ and ‘staying calm naturally as you proactively move forward from the beginning’; no normal person would be able to do the latter and yet for the past 24 hours none of the eight seemed to have been bothered too much about their predicament.

“Hansel, do you mean that...” Neon waited for Hansel to finish his sentence, but the latter stayed silent. Instead it was Matthew who answered the question. “It means we are losing our identity. Even now, it's influencing us little by little. They are small changes like waking up in the morning when you usually wake up late, or suddenly not liking certain music genres when you were just fine with it before.”

“W-Wait, if we lose our identity in this world... then, who are we now? Who will we become?” Angelie trembled in fear.

“We are and will still be ourselves,” Matthew reassured. “...it's just that we have to know ourselves first in the literal sense.”

---

Perhaps it was an influence of the memories as well, but none of us had actually talked about ourselves ever since we were summoned. Nobody talked about themselves as we were all strangers to each other. In the first place, we couldn't even speak our real names and had to use the names from the owners of the ‘false’ memories instead. Maybe it was because deep inside, we all hoped that we would wake up back in our reality once we opened our eyes, so we didn't bother talking about something trivial such as ourselves.

However, with Hansel's words as trigger, knowing our current and past selves had become a necessity. Not only to have other people remember who we once were, but also to learn about our new selves.

“With that in mind, let us start our first true introductions. My current name is Matthew Wren. I was 28 years old, and I have gained the memories of a successful biologist whose hobby is performing acupuncturist named Eric Grey. I suppose that's why I have these as my item,” the man in white coat presented a box full of small needles. “Eric lived a happy life and died of old age. As for myself, I'm pretty partial to Gospel, but I like Classical and Instrumental Jazz as well, for as much as I loath how Hipster-y that sounds. Basically anything Mellow, smooth and calming.”

“I will go next. I didn't think of anything fancy when it comes to names, and I didn't want to be called Jun Xu either, so I just called myself Gon. Jun Xu was a child adopted by some crazy old practitioner who taught him nothing of the modern world. All he taught was literally how to swing a sword and some poems,” said the man in white haori and black hakama. “As for myself, I like adventures and serenity. and dislike scheming and politics!”

“So we are going counter-clockwise from our houses? In my case, I simply took Pierre le Blanc's name. I don't have any attachments to my previous life though. Rather, I want to forget all about it,” said the man with the harp. “Having said that though, Pierre didn't exactly have the best life either. His elder brother sacrificed his future to have Pierre become a musician, but in the end they all died because of some disease.” Hiding his face, Pierre looked down at the ground. After a moment of silence, he then cheered up instantly. “Well, it can't be helped though! The world is not always sunshine and rainbows after all. Well then, who's next?”

“That would be me,” the young man answered, raising his hand. “I inherited Nakamura-- Haru Nakamura's memories, but I still couldn't think up of a cool nickname, so I kept using his name instead. I was 19 years old, and... contrary to Pierre, I'd rather not talk about the real Haru,” the boy said as he covered his face with his hands, remembering what his original attire and his current item. “Instead, let's talk about me! I like procrastinating and playing FPS games, and I don't like horror games!”

“How straightforward, I like it.” The man in black smiled. “My current name is Neon. I inherited Dmitri Federov's memories. Just like Mr. Pierre, Dmitri did not have a good life either. I prefer not to talk about it, but it is because of these memories that I am now capable of close-quarter combat. It is... both a blessing and a curse. As for my original self, I was a 23 years old office worker. I don't think there is anything impressive about me though.”

“The next person was supposed to be May, but... it appears that she isn't present,” Hansel stated. “Before I introduce myself, I would like to point out something off about our false memories. Has anyone else noticed it?” The man in robes waited for an answer, but it appeared that not even Matthew noticed it. Instead, it was Angelie who answered: “They come from different countries?”

“That is correct,” Hansel nodded. “Although I don't know the importance of this knowledge as of now, I find it odd nonetheless. Now then, as for my introduction... My name is Hansel Grimm. Librarian.”

“...wait, that's it?”

“What more needs to be said? It's not as if we are suddenly friends. Angelie, I believe it is your turn to speak?”

“Ah, right! Erm... I don't mind using Angelie's name --ah, it's Angelie Nikolaidis by the way. Just like May, I think it's a cute name, but I don't get why we were forbidden from using our real names. I... don't remember much from Angelie's memories. I think this is the reason why I didn't have any headaches. I don't understand why it's just me. Based on what I'm wearing, I think I was a farmer, but I don't know what else to say other than that.”

“Miss Angelie, it is fine if you don't know remember much about the original,” Neon gently soothed the farmer. “Think about it this way: Wouldn't that mean that you are the least affected from these headache-inducing memories? How about you talk about yourself instead?”

“I believe this is nothing to be worried about.”

“Yeah! Don't mind about it!”

“Everyone... T-Thank you!” May stood up and bowed a full 90 degrees. She then sat back down and continued: “Then, let me reintroduce myself: My current name is Angelie Nikolaidis. My hobby is reading novels, and I... am afraid of bugs!”

After talking for a while, the seven people decided to host another barbecue. Understanding that May wasn't in the mood to talk, the seven individuals unanimously decided that they would reintroduce themselves again tomorrow.

---

When everyone had returned to their houses, a phone vibrated in the dark. Confused and intrigued, the owner flipped open their flip phone to see that they received a new message.

Do you wish to return home? Kill the other villagers, and We shall grant your wish.
Should you choose to accept, then We shall bestow upon you two gifts as proof of Our trust.

Before reading any further, the owner looked outside their house through the windows, but couldn't see anyone as it was already dark. They then continued reading the rest of the message. After pondering and struggling for what felt like an eternity, they replied to the unknown sender.

I accept your command.
1