Chapter 69 – Shared Burdens
154 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If you like the story and want to see more, take a look at my Patreon, where you'll find several chapters ahead of the public. And you'll also be helping me reach my dream of being a full-time writer.

After spotting Wanda, Peter ended up opting for a more delicate approach to get closer to the redhead. He then started approaching her cautiously so as not to disturb the young woman.

"Hey... how are you?"

Peter inquired, while gently crouching down and settling beside the redhead. But before he could say anything else, Wanda surprised him with a sincere hug, still amidst sobs.

For a moment, Peter was surprised and speechless at the unexpected gesture from Wanda, but soon he decided to return the hug, wrapping her in his arms gently.

"Don't worry, I'm here with you."

With a gentle gesture, Peter stroked the redhead's hair, showing his concern.

Even amidst tears, Wanda struggled to say anything.

"Peter..."

Wanda murmured, still with her voice choked with emotion.

"I just don't know what to do anymore, I'm a freak."

Peter gently held Wanda's hands and looked deeply into her eyes.

"It's okay, Wanda. You don't have to face all of this alone. I'm by your side, and please, get rid of those negative thoughts from your head. You're not a freak at all, do you understand?"

"Yes, I am, and that's why everyone, without exception, treats me this way."

Wanda, still emotional and sobbing, expressed her disbelief at Peter's words.

"And what about me, Wanda?"

Said Peter somewhat jokingly while displaying a saddened expression before continuing.

"From the first moment I met you, I never once felt afraid of you, quite the opposite, all I felt was admiration and affection for the strong and courageous person you are."

"I know very well what you're trying to do, Peter. And there's no need for you to keep trying to please me. I've already accepted that my place is not here."

Said Wanda, looking downcast.

"First of all, Wanda, I'm not trying to please you at all. On the contrary, everything I said is absolutely true. I'm not forcing myself to try to please you or anything like that. And secondly, if you think your place is not here, mine is even less so."

Said Peter with a serious expression as he stood up from the ground and then staring Wanda in the eyes before continuing again.

"Wanda, just like you think here is not your place, I also don't think mine is here, but look, here I am. And do you know what I would be doing out there right now if I weren't here?"

Asked Peter, still staring at the redhead who was still sitting on the floor of that forest.

Wanda lifted her eyes to meet Peter's, her expression a mixture of surprise and curiosity.

"What would you be doing out there, then?"

Asked Wanda, her gaze fixed on Peter and her voice still laden with emotion.

"If I weren't here right now, I'd most likely be at home, studying or maybe helping out my aunt, and sometimes, if I wasn't grounded, spinning webs around aimlessly. But no, look where I am now, in a place I've always wanted to be since I was a child, but was still somewhat hesitant to accept, but they kept insisting so much that I ended up accepting."

Before Wanda had a chance to say anything she was thinking, Peter interrupted her, clearly attempting to persuade her to change her mind.

"Are you getting it? Sometimes you might think your place isn't here, but like I said before, it's all part of the adjustment process, both for you and for the people here at the complex. They just need time to get to know the wonderful person that is Wanda Maximoff, not the super-powered Wanda who scares them so much."

Wanda listened to everything Peter had said with a slight expression of doubt in her eyes. For a moment, she hesitated before responding, allowing a brief silence to settle between them.

"I get where you're coming from, but it's really hard to believe that anyone could see me that way... especially after all I've done. And the difference between our powers is that you were never cursed or labeled a monster because of yours."

Wanda murmured her voice heavy with anguish.

Peter leaned in a little closer to her, seeking to comfort her with his words.

"We all make mistakes, Wanda. But what really matters is what you decide to do with them afterward, and how we learn and grow from them. And look, I was always labeled a freak by my boss, and yet, I never bowed down to him or anyone else."

Wanda stared at Peter, trying to find any hint of falseness or judgment on his face, but unfortunately all she found were sincere words. Part of her wanted to believe the boy's reassuring words. However, her other part remained hesitant, trapped in her own fears and insecurities.

"It's hard for me... to accept that I deserve forgiveness, that I deserve to be loved."

Admitted Wanda, her voice trembling as she stared at her hands.

"Though it may not seem like it at first glance, but for me, my power alone is already considered a curse in my life. Because it was the day, I gained them that I also lost my uncle, all because I thought I could make money with them. So, consumed by my ego and arrogance, I ended up letting a thief escape, and it was that same thief who escaped because of me who ended up taking my uncle's life..."

Wanda still stared at Peter with tears in her eyes, but before she could say anything to explain herself, Peter interrupted her, continuing what he was saying.

"Well, Wanda. I also know what it's like to lose someone important. And this time the only difference between us is that you weren't to blame for everything that happened. And besides, you're not alone in this complex, you have your brother by your side to support you, very different from me who's practically alone here."

Said Peter as he got up from the floor, noticing that the young woman was also repeating the same act.

Attention: From now on, I ask that you completely disregard all the personality and character that you know of the heroes, whether from films or comics. Because for the story to flow better, I'm going to have to make some changes, so don't complain later that such a character would never say such a thing.

 

RECOGNITION TO MEMBERS:

Matthew Jimenez🤝 - THANK YOU FOR ACTIVATING THE DOMAIN EXPANSION "MAHAYANA PRISON".

Julio Posas🤝 - THANK YOU FOR ACTIVATING THE DOMAIN EXPANSION "MAHAYANA PRISON".

Angelo Meßmer⛩️ - THANK YOU FOR ACTIVATING THE DOMAIN EXPANSION "MALEVOLENT SANCTUARY".

7