ch 9 – Pirate Talk
199 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Please don’t abandon her.” That was Elianad’s request to Slade to save her friend.

Slade scratched his cheek. ’Damn, I know we’re in a fantasy world with magic, but how am I supposed to find out which nerve connects to which one? It would have been easier if Violet used Resurrection right after the battle, but her mana organ is already at its limits.’

He didn’t want to give her false hopes, so he decided to be firm. Besides, they weren't children but soldiers. They had the resolve to put their life on the line.

“Reconnecting an arm would be alright, but a severed spine? It's pushing it a bit too much. This is too complicated for me, and my hands are already full with the gnolls and beholders,” Slade replied evenly as he picked up the paralyzed mermaid.

He didn't want to sugarcoat it but it was brutal to hear. He could only imagine how much pain losing his loved ones would bring him, but he could at least extend the duration of their time together before they parted ways.

“Please, we can work something out!” Elianad widened her eyes at his actions, believing that Slade was about to toss her corpse out.

“I wouldn’t mind if it was easy. But I don’t want to help with this for free, and I already lost a harpy pawn to help you. Besides, you've got nothing left to repay me.” Slade sighed. It would mobilize one slime unit, food and mana to take care of the paralyzed mermaid with no hope of recovery. Realistically, that wasn’t a decision he could take as a ruler.

Being the one to deliver bad news sucked, but he resigned himself to act as the bad guy.

In tears, Eliana begged and clung to his waist. “I’ll do anything. I’ll serve you all my life!”

Slade stared at her, thinking hard. ’Could I throw away my life like that for my friends?‘

He had lived a comfortable life on Earth, and had never witnessed such bold camaraderie with his own eyes. But perhaps such bond was inevitable when it came to comrade-in-arms that overcome life and death situations together. Falling on a grenade to save their fellows was especially celebrated as an act of honor on Earth.

However, serving someone was a sustained lifelong commitment, it was a completely different type of strain on the mentality of a person. Maybe the mermaid impulsively gave herself away because she didn’t fathom the depth of suffering she exposed herself to?

Slade had to respect such dedication. “Alright, I’ll take your friend to the throne room. You can pledge your loyalty to my sovereign there.”

He put back the paralyzed mermaid’s clothes and her tricorn hat, and carried her across the medical ward.

mermaid patient

qLd2JiI.jpg

[collapse]

“Ha! My friend, Slade! You saved yet another comrade. We owe you so much more than we could repay you in this lifetime.” The friendly captain saluted with his hat on his chest.

captain

MaypenH.jpg

[collapse]

Slade smiled. “My pleasure, captain. I hope you can join your fleet safely.”

Elianad interrupted their conversation. “About that, captain…” She shared her decision to serve Slade.

“Hmm… You’re putting me in a difficult position.” The captain was deeply troubled. What the mermaid suggested was basically desertion, but their circumstances called for flexibility as it was uncertain whether they could meet up with the fleet without dying. Survival and cooperation with the locals was definitely a priority, and if giving up on the trueborn mermaid improved their relationships with the locals, then it was worth considering.

Slade coughed. “Take your time with your decision. In the meantime, how about I show you around since you might rest here for a few days?”

“Oh, by all means!” The banged-up and bandaged pirates gathered at his invitation.

A harpy hag entered with a warbanner with a cheerful giggle. “Hello~ I am the rook Lorely and I will be your guide for this tour. Follow me!”

tourist guide Lorely

LWuYOFi.jpg

[collapse]

In contrast to her relaxed attitude, the pirates slightly tensed at the introduction of the otherworlder hero.

 

I'm back from the dead baby.

I plan to get a doctor appointment to have my health checked maybe in a couple of months, but I don't think my stomach is bleeding anymore.

I got rusty in painting, so I tried making a new cover. In the end, I gave up on colors.

yt timelapse 

Chapter gallery: https://imgur.com/a/CZ8AMlV

Thank you Larry, Ethereal Contact, Judd, sadbeech and anonymous subscribers!

Thank you for reading,

OwOtrucked

3