ch 12 – Choice
150 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Violet stood in front of the groups of pirates, surrounded by an impressive number of pawns. Her voice quieted down the noisy crowd.

Chapel of Stilled Voices

f7YTQn2.jpg

[collapse]

“I am the sovereign Violet Ylenward, and I welcome the sailors of the Cove as my guests. Although we are from different factions, I believe that we can work together for a common goal, just as I took the gnolls of the Fortress under my wing,” she said.

It was not an everyday occurrence, but temporary alliances happened under the careful management of the sovereigns. Most factions had given up the dream of world domination after the Dungeon was made an example of defeated conquerors. So factions aimed lower and targeted only those who overlapped with their territory.

For instance, the sailors of the Cove were invaded by the Necropolis, but the Cove also invaded the Tower’s supremacy over the sky. The conflict between the Dungeon and the Tower was more of an ideological and moral nature, but everyone disliked having random sinkholes because of Dungeon’s terraforming voideaters.

Thus, some conflicts were faction wide and endorsed by the Monarchs, but the most common wars were local and required fluid diplomacy to solve.

“That said, we have urgent matters to discuss, so I’ll have to interrupt your tour. Follow me,” she commanded.

The gates of the chapel of stilled voices closed after everyone entered.

The pirates discovered a place of religious worship emphasizing an altar with a summoning circle. Although they had seen many beautiful architecture in their towns and underwater cities, they enjoyed the soothing solemn mood of the building.

Slade scratched his head. "Are medusas supposed to live here?" There were mostly benches to pray, so it didn't feel like a proper dwelling to him.

“Ah well, medusa pawns kinda sleep anywhere, coiled on their tails. The facility is mainly dedicated to summon them and replenish the power of their pawn blessing,” Lorely whispered.

“So they’re hobos? Got it.” Slade nodded.

All the important figures of Holloweye gathered at the altar. Griscent, the evil eye, led the beholders. Metiva, the gnoll matriarch, represented her tribe. Shaki and Lorely, the summoned heroes, managed the armies of pawns.

Violet sat on the altar and crossed her legs. She scanned the chapel with seriousness in her gaze.

“The blimp crashed yesterday, and there’s no reason Tower wouldn’t dispatch a rescue team. At least to salvage the huge pile of gold we stole from them,” Violet said.

Glances of worries spread through the crowd.

“It’s impossible to cover the tracks from the large-scale transportation that happened, so Holloweye’s location might be compromised.” Violet’s word confirmed the suspicion of the crew that the place that sheltered them was no longer safe.

The sailors were anxious, thinking that the sovereign would use them as meat shields for the imminent battle against the Tower.

“I have no intention of giving up this place, as I vowed to protect the beholders’ pillar of eyes. However, I will not force my guests to remain and fight for me. You are free to leave as soon as you’re ready,” Violet said.

While most pirates breathed in relief, Elianad intended to remain in Holloweye, so she voiced her concerns for the town. “This is serious, their airship could bomb the town! Can you win against their army?”

“Win? No way.” Violet shot down her hopes instantly. “You should return to the palace and focus on resting if you plan to flee. But don’t say anything to the gnolls or the beholders on the way if you don’t want me to throw you out.”

The medusa pawns opened the doors of the chapel.

The captain was visibly torn and seemed as though he wouldn’t budge from his spot. Protecting the town would be a way to repay the debt for his saved life.

The crew broke into a heated debate, trying to convince their captain to take the best decision.

“They have no chance in a direct confrontation against the numerous blessed towns populating the peaks of the chain of mountains.”

“Those medusas look reliable, but the Tower have giants that can shoot lightning, for fuck’s sake!”

Holloweye was like an ant at the feet of centuries old giants. Their only way to survive was stealth and mobility, but the sovereign had no intention to relocate her base.

“Captain! Are you going to spit on their generosity? They offered us to leave!”

“Ay. Let’s leave before they change their mind, cap’.”

 

Timelapse of the doodle shortened to 60s : youtube link

Thank you Larry, Ethereal Contact, Judd, sadbeech and anonymous subscribers!

Thank you for reading,

OwOtrucked

3