Stranger in my own skin
92 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*blink*

I opened my eyes.

I'm not really sure if I did. So I closed my eyelids and opened them again. Yes, my eyes are definitely open now.

But why can't I see?

Urgh...

My head ached. I tightly closed my eyes again with a sharp frown. My brain didn't really work. As a matter of fact, I felt like floating. Not really here but also a vague sensation of reality. After a few seconds in the comfort of my dark eyelids, the pain subsided. My brain slowly whirred.

I opened my eyes again. It's still dark. But my brain woke up enough to realize that it isn't dark because I lost my eyesight. I could see that I'm in some kind of dark room or maybe a dungeon. I don't know. My mind's still not fully awake yet.

Is it the aftershock of death?

Wait...

Dead! Yes, I'm dead right? I'm sure nobody would have found me lying there. Not alive at least but maybe as a rotting corpse. So I can be sure that I died.

So, why am I alive?

Am I even alive right now? Not dreaming? I don't know. I never had a vivid dream so I can't be sure.

I raised my hand to ease my forehead as the pain once again rose due to my torrent of thoughts. I tried to, but..

*Clank!*

What's this?

I looked down to see my hand cuffed in chains. My hand? Is this hand mine? My eyes that had already adjusted to the dark could see the hand moving at my will. So it's definitely my hand. So, why is this scrawny unfamiliar hand full of callouses and scars mine?

I raised the other hand. It's the same. I blankly stared at my hands. The buzzing pain in my head, the smell of musty earth through every breath, the cold chill of the stone from my back and the stuffy heartbeat that slowly raised Its pace with every shaky breath.

It all told me I'm not dreaming. But here, wherever that is, living breathing. Should I be glad I'm alive? The joy felt fleeting as soon confusion overtook my mind.

My throat clogged and breathing became irregular. Is it fear? Or the excitement for new life?

*Huff huff*

Oh, this is not good. Let's calm down first.

*Whew*

*Whew*

I took some deep breaths to calm my thundering heart and locked away my emotions for later.

Everything felt unfamiliar but very real. I looked down to see my body. It's not the one I was used to. I'm wearing dusty torn clothes that didn't help in the cold and made me shiver. They are bloody too. But I didn't feel any pain. Curiously I lifted my shirt and groped my abdomen to check for wounds. It felt uncomfortable like I'm touching someone else's body. The bumps and torn skin felt through my palm added to the discomfort and made me jerk back my hands. After a few breaths, I looked down closely to see my body full of wounds and scars both new and old. There were so many that I didn't really have energy to look at each one closely.

What's this? This body is full of injuries but I don't feel any pain?

By the way, I still can't accept that this wreck of a body is mine. The mop of dirty white hair that fell over my face which is so contrasting to the black hair I'm used to, further emphasized that fact. The age looks about 20 or 21. I can't be sure because of how scrawny and thin this body looked. I lifted my hands and placed it over my chest.

*thump thump*

It's clearly the sound of my live beating heart.

Alive...

But how? I wonder. Why am I in this strange body and cuffed up in some strange place? First of all, where is this anyways?

I looked around closely to analyze where I am. The room is of two leg stretch. I can see the walls and ceiling made of stones running branches of cracks here and there. I could also see a large iron door on one side of the wall.

It's definitely some kind of prison dungeon.

The seeps of the ceiling corners let in a weak light. It didn't feel artificial so maybe moonlight. It allowed me to see the cobwebs and the rainwater seeping through the cracks that dampened the walls. It made the air in the room smell musty. Each breath clogged my nose and further parched my throat.

So thirsty...

*Growl..*

Hungry too..

*Clank clank*

I slowly laid down on the cold floor with the clanking of chains and curled in on myself. If only someone can explain why this is happening to me. I don't know if the door can be opened. It must be definitely locked. I can't even check it with this short reach of chains, so why bother? I don't know anymore, I'm just gonna lie down here. What else can I do? My brain, still reeling from all the events, couldn't work anymore.

I'm so tired.

I don't know what curse is on these injuries to not feel any pain. But I can definitely feel the hunger pangs and the constant buzzing headache. I closed my sore eyes feeling tired like never before. My mind lulled to sleep listening to the faint sounds of dripping water and clicking of insects.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
*clink*

Groan..

*click turn clink*

Mhm.. what?.. sleepy...

*CLANK!*

what? What?!

I woke up jerking awake from the loud sound. I busily turned my head to look for the source with shaky eyes like a startled cat.

It's the door! It's opening!

Finally someone. Feeling glad at meeting someone who can help me understand this situation, I hurriedly sat up leaning against the wall just like how I woke up here. Along with the anticipation, there's also this creeping fear of the unknown at what or who might be behind that door.

Is this person my savior? or my captor?

*ba-dump ba-dump*

Feeling the heartbeat in my ears, I watched the door slowly creek open in anxious tension.

*creak....THUD*

4