Chapter 3
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-Taylor, age 14-

“Taylor. We are not friends anymore; I can’t associate with a weakling like you.” Emma sniped rather abruptly.

“Ok, I’ll bite. Why?” Taylor responded with her best impression of a Spock brow.

“You are weak and pathetic. You wish to join the Navy and run from true strength. You also watch that lame TV show; what was it again? Space Hike or whatever?” Emma returned with a snarl.

“And you are too obsessed with Parahumans to notice how bad they are for the economy. You call the PRT heroes, yet they don’t do anything. Lung is running a gang like he would Unit 731, with how little he cares about his people. We have Neo-Nazis who have a concentration camp if the rumors are true. If it weren’t for my Dad clinging to this city, I would advocate dropping a Hydrogen bomb or something.” Taylor snarked back. “Before I leave, are you still going to Winslow?” Taylor asked as she turned around.

“Yes? Why will you follow in a misguided attempt to get our friendship back?” Emma questioned as she scoffed.

I was going to talk you into Immacula because we both know your grades are not good enough for Arcadia. Last I heard, they have a JROTC program, and it is the best way to make my dream come true.” Taylor replied as she walked away, not even looking back.

 

-Age 15-

Taylor was slightly disappointed. This was the last year before the Navy pulled the plug on the NJROTC program in the Bay. She felt complete was the best way to describe the feelings of the drills. According to the Instructor, she was a natural with how seamlessly she slipped into formation. She was also getting much attention from the Dallon sisters, specifically Victoria; why? Because she has exotic white hair, Amy was curious as no matter how much she tried; she could not influence the hair follicles to color the hair brown.

“Look, Taylor, you need more than that. Something to go with that white hair and dangerous eyes.” Victoria said with excitement while pointing at the polo shirt and slacks that Taylor was wearing.

“I prefer to dress to impress than dress for style. You never know when opportunity comes knocking. And if you think you will get a respectable job while dressed in a tube top and skinny pants, then you are wrong.” Taylor shot back while glaring at the bubbly blond.

“But you would look so good; I mean, look at those legs. On top of that, you are so physically fit that boys would drool over you. Come on, please, just one trip, just this once, honest.” Victoria begged while blasting out her aura. Forgetting how effective it was on the White Haired Mystery that was Taylor Hebert.

“Victoria, Aura!” Taylor barked out, causing many in the cafeteria to jump. Victoria herself would have called Master for how fast she jumped to attention and reined in her aura had Amy and the Doctors of Brockton General cleared Taylor of being a Parahuman. Calming down, Victoria sat back down sheepishly.

“Sorry,” Victoria responded quietly. On the other hand, Amy had difficulty choosing whether to be amused or angry at how Taylor verbally berated Victoria.

“So help me, God, Victoria, do you even care about your future? You can’t subsidize off of your ‘heroics,’ and you can’t stay at your mom's house for your entire life.” Taylor sighed as she pinched her nose.

“Please, I make enough money with my heroics to live comfortably. We have to deal with the fashion travesty that is your wardrobe.” Victoria said as she scoffed. Amy signed as she realized how serious Victoria was about taking Taylor shopping.

“How about this, Taylor, we will take you shopping, and for every five outfits we give you, we will have Parian make you an outfit of your choice. How does that sound?” Amy asked to help placate Victoria and convince Taylor to go along. Victoria’s face beamed with joy at her sister.

“You promise?” Taylor responded.

“Yup, no problem with me,” Victoria chirped. 

 

-Boardwalk-

Taylor almost regretted her decision. But getting a professional suit for formal occasions was too good to pass up. Mainly because the Yearly BBQ with the Barnes was coming up, and she wanted Emma to see success. But the pettiness was not worth dealing with Victoria's fashionista attitude. Feeling someone bump into her in a rush left Taylor’s reflexes to trip and pin the attacker. A Blond girl with bright green eyes looking up fearfully. The noise of combat boots running up behind Taylor broke her observations.

“Thank you for your service. This girl has stolen jewelry from one of the shops here; do you mind handing her over so we can deal with her?” Came one of the Enforcers of the boardwalk. 

“Don’t believe them; they work for a villain.” The girl said with a Boston Accent. Looking down, Taylor saw the blond girl wearing tight pants and a hoodie. Patting the only pocket for jewelry, Taylor found it empty.

“She doesn’t have any Jewelry on her. Are you sure you have the right girl?” Taylor asked as she turned her head to look at the enforcers. One tilted his head, seemingly listening to something, orders presumably. Nodding, he looked around to find it was empty before drawing his gun.

“Sorry, kid, nothing personal.” He said as he leveled his gun.

BANG

He fell with a new hole in his head. Taylor takes advantage of the surprise of his colleague, picks up the gun, and proceeds to empty the magazine into him. Oddly enough, she felt… numb to the act of killing. Turning around to the blond girl who lay there in shock.

“So, do you want to explain why you had two Enforcers after you? Because if you killed my chances of getting into the Navy, I will make you miserable.” Taylor said as she picked up a fresh magazine from the first man.

“They were ordered to capture me so a villain could use me.” She responded fearfully as Taylor inserted the fresh magazine.

“So what; you a parahuman?” Taylor questioned as she observed the area. Noticing men in non-regulation PRT combat suits approach, she placed the gun on the ground and kicked it to them.

“I can’t read them; why can’t I read them?” The blond said, her panic increasing. But it did answer Taylor's question of whether she was a parahuman.

 

An hour later, Taylor was reunited with Victoria and Amy, who were interrogating her.

“Why was the Special Strike Team talking to you? That was the first time they had been deployed to do anything besides patrol. What happened anyway?” Victoria questioned rapidly.

“I don’t know, never knew that, and False Enforcers tried to execute me,” Taylor responded as they approached Parians boutique.

“Wait, so you almost died? Where are the PRT Vans to escort them to jail?” Victoria asked with concern in her voice.

“Yes, there is no reason to escort the two to jail. Just the morgue.” Taylor responded with a dry tone.

“The PRT doesn’t use lethal ammunition,” Amy responded.

“They labeled me using a confiscated gun and shooting the two as self-defense,” Taylor responded, leaving the sisters in shocked silence. “They watched the confrontation.” 

“Damn, she is kind of a badass,” Victoria responded after getting over the shock. Taylor shrugged, glad the PRT officers made up a story that kept the PRT in good standing and would not negatively affect her chances of joining the Navy. Apparently, they were ‘supposed’ to use nonlethal ammunition, so they made up a story where she defended herself after disarming one of the men.

 

“Dad, what do you mean the BBQ is canceled?” Taylor asked her dad as she prepped her new suit.

“Alan had an emergency case he needed to handle,” Danny responded 

“Damnit,” Taylor mumbled to herself. Worse shopping trip… ever… of all time.

 

-age 16-

“Hello Alan, glad you could host the BBQ this year. It has been a while since I have visited.” Taylor said as she sipped some apple cider.

“Well, you know how work can be. You look good; I am surprised you can afford it.” Alan responded, pointing to the button-up and slacks Victoria bought for Taylor.

“I made some friends, sort of.” Taylor shrugged, “How is Emma?”

“Good as can be, she made a new friend in Winslow. But I am concerned that I can scarcely believe some of the things I have heard.” Alan responded in a slightly dower tone. “I am surprised you haven’t come to visit sooner.”

“Emma broke off her friendship with me after I returned from summer camp before freshman year. I didn’t ask what happened during that phone call, so what happened?” Taylor questioned as she took another sip.

“ABB initiation; if it wasn’t for Shadow Stalker, I would have died, and Emma would have been sold into sexual slavery,” Alan responded with a slight shudder as he flipped the hamburger patties.

“Fucking parahumans,” Taylor muttered to herself, not as quietly as she thought.

“Language, young missy.” Alan reprimanded.

Not noticed by either Emma and Sophia were glaring at Taylor. The former was out of jealousy of Taylor’s calm beauty. In contrast, the latter was with grudging respect, Sophia didn’t like how she refused to continue hunting prey, but she did hear about the boardwalk incident last year.

“Maybe you need to be hunted by bigger prey to grow your fangs properly,” Sophia swore silently to herself. Thinking of a few idiots she could send Taylor’s way. Taylor did cut a good figure, and it would not be hard to convince some ABB wannabes to go after Taylor.

0