33: Yes But No Tongue
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ke’an shoots awake reaching for his weapon at his side as he sits up. However, nothing is there and as his vision returns he sees that he is in a bedchamber within the Temple of Batri and there are several beds in a row along the far wall. A few aches yell out in protest of his sudden movements as he calms down. There are a few of Vex lanterns lit and the room is dim with no windows to let in natural light. He hears snoring beside him and sees that System is fast asleep in a separate bed close by. The fact that they are in a bed means that they must have succeeded and Azeraath is dead. Ke’an allows himself to fall back down into the warm bed and incase himself in the thick comforter.

“Co-co-congratulations!” A loud and energetic Network says in Ke’an’s head. “If you are hearing this recording, you have passed your first combat trial, wasn't it fun! Just remember that while the combat trials are exhilarating, you are here to work and grow as an Administrator, gaining experience and honing your skills. Embrace the challenges ahead and strive for excellence. Onward, Administrator!”

“What in the name of the Goddess?” Ke’an exclaimed.

The recording continued as if it were having a conversation on its own. “Woah there eager beaver, or whatever quantifies as beaver in the reality the Tutorial Beta is running in! I know you want to get out there and level up, gain transcendent experience and start building realities from the primordial nonentity, but you know how the old adage goes. You have to transmigrate basic reality structures from the fundamental codex before you can refine nonexistence into…”

Ke’an zoned out as the voice continued on in a rather unsettling jovialness from the normally monotone Network. Ke’an remembers System saying that Network recorded all messages for the tutorial beta back before she became an Administrator herself. He could not fathom how long ago that must have been so this would have been back when he was much more animated with his job. Ke’an focused on what the recording was saying again in hopes to get more information on what is going on.

“… Good news, The Tutorial beta has successfully been installed into this reality. Thanks to your hard work and from the data collected from your fight trial it has been discovered that this world's level is insufficient to cultivate the work ethic required of our staff. Do not fear we here at Infinity Inc. always ensure the correct training and retraining programs to build the very best Administrators. The Tutorial Beta will now reset maximums and minimums the world levels for all beings! This will also affect your stats! The world level max will be increased from 100 to 250. Monster manifestations including demonic entities will be increased. Incursions protocol will pull entities including sentient beings, animals, monsters, landmassess and celestial bodies to be intigrated into this reality! 

“Oh it looks like there was a clash between magic systems used in this reality and those used in the Tutorial Beta. To prevent an extinction level event from occuring all sentient native inhabitants of this reality will have basic menu access to integrate their skills and magic! Temporary EXP bonus will be granted to native inhabitants so they will be able to protect themselves from you and the increased spawn rates of more powerful monsters.

“As a reward for completing the combat trial on your first try you have been given bonus rewards. Check out your rewards menu to collect your prizes! This message and the Tutorial Beta is brought to you by Infinity Inc. we look forward to your many successes. If you have any questions please feel free to ask your direct supervisor or a TR representative.”

A new menu opens called “Quest Rewards” which shows the items Ke’an received for completing his most recent quest. 


Quest Rewards

(1/1) Christened in Blood and Ice 

5 transcendent experience points

5 health potions

5 mana potions

BONUS 

Way of the Sticky Fingers Vol. 1

Basic Monster Hunter Armor

Collect reward Yes / No


Ke’an looks over each of the item and lets out a long yawn removing the last of his lethargy with a deep stretch. He looks over to System who looks to be having a pleasant dream as even while snoring loudly she is smiling. He turns his attention back to the items and reads the description of them so he will have some idea of what they are. 


Transcendent Experience

Experience for transcendents… you should know what this is. It is how we pay you…


Ke’an is taken back by the description of transcendent experience; it is unhelpful and sarcastic. Ke’an knows he is going to have to ask System about it when she wakes up. He turns his attention to the other the health and mana potion. He has some idea as to what they will do; he already has several of both in his traveler's bag and they are of pretty high quality.


Item: Health Potion

Level: Transcendent

Description: A mythic elixir of extraordinary might. This peerless Health Potion transcends limitations, instantly revitalizing the weary and repairing wounds with unparalleled efficacy.

Item: Mana Potion

Level: Transcendent

Description: A mystical elixir of limitless power. This transcendent Mana Potion replenishes arcane reserves with unparalleled potency, enabling spellcasters to channel boundless magic. Unleash the infinite potential within and ascend to unparalleled heights of sorcery.


Ke’an take is a short breath when he sees items and nearly chokes. These are nothing like the potions he has, to check he quickly summons his travelers bag from his inventory and pulls out the greater potion of health. The potion is in a small five ounce aluminum can with a sigil of protection printed on to prevent the can from getting damaged. The Lecroy company logo along with Greater Health Potion printed across the can.


Item: Lecroy Greater Potion of Health

Level: Rare

Description: A rare elixir that enhances restorative properties. This potion bestows accelerated healing over time, mending wounds with increased efficacy.


He compares the Lecroy Mana Recovery Potion and finds it similarly lacking. He essentially won the jackpot with the potions he got. Any of them would be worth a fortune and finding one would have allowed him to return home with honor. He accepts the rewards and the potions appear in his inventory. He takes one of the Health Potions out and looks at the concoction. It is in a rather delicate fancy glass vial. The liquid inside is a rose gold and produces a dim light which pulses like a heartbeat.

“Freaky.” Ke’an says as he places the vial in his inventory.

Ke’an then switches his attention to his bonus rewards. The armor sounds more interesting than the book especially since his current armor has seen better days. He decides starting with the armor will be better than the book.


Item: Basic Monster Hunter Armor Set

Level: Uncommon

Description: A sturdy blue leather armor set designed for novice monster hunters. Crafted with care, it offers reliable protection against physical threats. Enchanted with basic magical wards, providing additional defense against mystical assaults.  

Item: Way of the Sticky Fingers Vol. 1

Level: Common

Description: You fancy yourself a thief do you? A beginner's guide to the art of stealth and pickpocketing. Learn the fundamental techniques of sleight of hand, misdirection, and blending into the crowd. Perfect for those curious about the shadows and seeking a mischievous edge.


Ke’an decides he will have plenty of time to read it when he gets home. Now that there is nothing stopping him he wants to get to his village as soon as possible. He already missed the Thesfon Winter Solstice but he could still get back before the end of the Week of Giving if he hurried. He felt weird all of a sudden, although so much had happened it had only been two days in this world despite spending two years in Systems Crucible. He is stronger and not really even human anymore. He hadn’t really had time to process anything because everything has been happening one thing after another. 

He stands up with some difficulty feeling the dain on his body as he walks over to System's bed and sits down on the edge to wake her up. He lets out a long breath settling down his emotions. No one in his village is completely human anymore; they all steal the power of people and the forms of monsters. He decides that it is not the time to be having an existential crisis; he wants to get back to the home he had not seen in over two years. He reaches out his hand and shakes her shoulder.

Ke’an  says gently. “System wake…”

“No… what are you doing?” System says in a tired moan. “I am at work Ampersand we can’t.”

Ke’an lets go of her and leans away. “System! Wake up.”

“Yes, but no tongue…”

“System!” Ke’an yells.

System finally opens her eyes slightly while rolling over in her bed. She makes eye contact with Ke’an for a second, her tired eyes fading in and out of consciousness. She then turns over in the bed snuggling with her pillows.

“Five more minutes.” She yawns.

0