Chapter 12
39 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hanging around the rear to push them all along, Chandra woefully turned an eye to the sky. The rain was coming in droves and the evening grew thick around them. With each passing minute, she knew the inevitable would come.

Laurence had been silent for a while. Chandra hoped he was appeased that Tish and Shannon had taken Eamon to keep them moving, but Eamon getting heavier. Shannon sagged a little more each minute, and Tish’s breathing grew louder.

Chandra walked beside Eamon’s wife, Viola. She shivered in the cold as her eyes repeatedly glanced over her children’s heads. Over and over again. Chandra almost envied her not knowing what horror was to come. You will wish to be anyone else soon.

The parkway dipped down towards the valley and it looked as though no one had come this way in years. The rain would wash away all evidence of them soon in the gentle patter on leaves, metal, and glass.

That was one of the dangers. The quiet but distinct moans of the ever-hungry creatures were an alarm system that had sustained them beyond safe walls. It was how they knew when to run and how fast. In the rain, there was no warning.

We should never have come here, her heart whispered sadly.

For a few fleeting moments, Chandra closed her eyes and let the heavy rain drip down her face as it had when she was young. She could taste those drops that kissed her skin as clearly as she could remember her husband's touch. The memories wonderful and agonizing. Her own soft tears disappeared with a shiver in the dying images from a life long lost.

I will never forget.

“We have to stop.” Eamon's voice ripped Chandra from her husband’s arms, where they had danced in a rain not unlike this. Warm wondrous rain spoiled by harsh frigid reality.

Viola stood by Eamon and their children gathered. Tish and Shannon lowered him to the ground but when he was to support his own weight Eamon called out in pain. Blood stained his clothing but it didn’t pool from the wound Reid inspected. High, near the hip, it drained fresh into the fabric of his pants.

Oh dear god…

“I can't do this… I can’t.” Eamon reached out to his family. “It’s not just my leg. I’m not bitten, I just… I know I should have said something. I was scared. ” He looked up to his wife with guilt flooding his eyes.

Chandra expected protest and outrage but even Tish and Shannon gave space to the family.

Her own eyes ached as a little hand slipped into Chandra’s. Beside her, Nyssa stood still and watched. The two had bonded over their own grief and now, in their vigil, they knew others would join their fold.

“You need to get the kids out of here.” Eamon leaned his head into his wife’s.

“Dad you to get up.” Cally fell into her father’s arms with a whimper and buried herself in his neck. Peter followed suit, shoulders shaking with tears. But not little Shane. He stood apart.

“You have to take care of each other. No more fighting; you are a family. Promise me you'll look after each other.”

Each child in turn nodded.

Chandra had forgotten Laurence until his voice cut through the rain.

“We don't take breaks.” He pushed past Tish and Shannon who tried unsuccessfully to get his attention. When he looked down at Eamon and the blood his face grew tight. Nyssa's hand squeezed Chandra’s once before letting her go and she disappeared in the direction of Ethan and Wendy.

Chandra's rushed to Laurence. “We know what has to be done.”

Laurence didn’t bother looking at her. “How long have you been bleeding?”

Eamon leaned into his family, his soft words of comfort lost in the din.

“They are saying goodbye.” Her hand reached out to grab Laurence's arm. “Give them a moment to themselves. Please.”

Laurence met her eyes then and she saw more than just cold anger. Understanding, maybe? But it disappeared as he shook her off and turned to riffle through his pack. The smell of whiskey wafted from Laurence and found Chandra despite the rain.

Kneeling beside Eamon, Chandra touched the bleeding man's shoulder.

“I understand Eamon, few of us would have done differently.” Though she prayed that fact wasn’t true. “But it's time to think about the kids.”

Eamon nodded, his hands trembling as he held his wife close. “You have to go, Vi.”

“I'm not leaving you.”

“You have to take the kids somewhere safe. You have to go with them now.”

“I don’t want to go. Not without Dad.” Cally gripped her father tighter. Chandra reached forward and pulled her away to the sound of Peter begging his father to get up. But poor Shane just stared, a small frown smeared across his face.

Chandra tightened her grip. “Cally, come with me.”

“No, we can’t.”

“Viola please,” Chandra pleaded.

Viola shook her head until little Shane broke his silence and stepped towards Eamon.

“I promise, Daddy.” Shane leaned in to hug his father.

It took all of Chandra's emotional and physical strength to get Viola to her feet, but she froze when the sound of the pistol hammer cocked in her ear.

“Laurence don't!” Shannon screamed before a single shot fired.

4