Chapter 30
17 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tish’s eyes took longer to adjust to the bright room. The sting was familiar but the ache throbbing in the general area of her face still shook her vision. Though it'd been a few days since she’d been hit, the back of her head felt swollen to touch.

Letting out a yawn, she turned over under the sheets and tugged them closer. As she turned, her arm brushed against his warm skin, but he wasn't lying next to her.

Someone's in my bed? The thought lazed around her mind a moment before her eyes shot open. The shock wore off quickly and the previous night came into focus. There was alcohol. Lots of it. Where the hell did he get booze?

“Morning,” Tish muttered, pulling the fabric up to cover her chilled chest. It'd been a long time since she'd been naked, but as Tish focussed on the other side of the bed she smiled nervously. It's been even longer since you've seen a naked man.

“There's something going on outside,” Shannon said sounding far more serious than she expected.

“Not our problem.” Her back relaxed into the cement, the chill striking through her entire body. I forgot how cold it was here. Ruffling the covers up higher she tried to fight off the awkward tension that was filling the room. Say something, she told herself, clearing her throat.

Looking away from the window Shannon finally met her stare and his lips curved into that familiar grin.

“So, last night...” she started, feeling her smile widen until the two shook their heads and exchange uncomfortable laughs.

“Yeah. Hadn't done that-”

“In ages.”

Shannon nodded before stretching his arms in the chill air. “It's fuckin' cold though.”

“Yup.”

Silence settled in the room while the voices outside raised. Tish couldn’t make it out, but it sounded like some sort of commotion.

Deal with what’s in front of you. Her head tilted to take in the view of Shannon a little better, but the motion seemed to summon a new ache.

“Where'd you get the moonshine?” she asked.

Shannon sat back against the wall by the head of the bed, the barely-a-double mattress shifting as he did. “Finn. He said I looked like I needed it.”

“Among other things.” Her coy remark didn't go unnoticed but didn't bring out the spark she was looking for. He rubbed the back of his head like a nervous kid instead of sliding back under the covers with her. When he swung his legs over the side and started to dress, Tish's smile fading. “Leaving then?”

“Uh yeah.” He wasn't going about it quickly but he couldn't meet her eyes.

You have got to be kidding me. She huffed out a breath and cursed herself for being so stupid.

“I just wanna check in with Finn. He said he needed to talk to me today.”

“Right.” The word left her quick and sharp.

Shannon finally looked up, but Tish would be damned if she’d meet his eyes now. Instead, she stared at the door across the room.

“I, uh, had a good time,” he said.

“Me too, I guess.” She tried the steel resolve, be cold, be cool, but beneath the surface, her temper roiled. Last night had been fun like how “fun” used to be before. No worries, no cares; they talked about shit that didn't matter. Old friends, childhood stories, the less serious parts of life. He'd been reserved for what she remembered of Shannon, the man she'd “hunted” with, the man who always had five words to say for every two you gave. But now he swore less, he thought more and even his cocky smile was different. The moonshine had helped bring back the Shannon she knew, but he wasn't there in the morning.

And she needed that Shannon. The kind that made her mad and laugh and not think about everything that had gotten so fucked up. The guy who just didn’t give a shit. I want to not give a shit…

“What the fuck happened to you?” The words had been itching at her for the entire night, a question alcohol and half-drunk gropings had danced away. But it was back and as Shannon stopped looking around the floor for his shirt, she sat up a little straighter.

“Something must have happened because you are not… you. You’re… I dunno. Different and it’s messed up.” It came out with an almost sarcastic laugh that she hadn't intended.

“Shit happens. I'm different,” he paused as if grasping for the right words. “You didn't seem to fuckin’ mind it last night.”

Her body stiffened and she turned to face him. “That's the Shannon I remember.”

“Are you complaining?” He went back to looking for his shirt. “You didn't seem to like the old me much.” Lifting the covers he nearly tore the sheets off her dark skin before Tish snatched them back for the small warmth they provided.

“No.” Aren't I though? She ignored her own indecision before slipping her legs out from the covers and tried to pull her own pants on. “I just knew what to expect before. I could rely on the old you to… be you.” Slipping into them she did a little jump to pull the tight jeans up and bent down for her bra. “You're just...”

“Just what?” Shirtless Shannon towered over her.

Different.” Tish fumbled with the strap of her bra.

Rubbing his eyes before turning away Shannon sighed heavily.

“I'm not saying it's bad, I just...” she hesitated. “I dunno, you seemed uncomplicated and now you’re all… I just want to know what happened.” It didn't coax an answer from him and despite knowing she had no goddamn place Tish still pushed. “You wanted nothing to do with those people, and you made it clear you'd leave them to die. You were sarcastic, bitchy and a pain in the ass.” She caught the smile on his lips before she reached out for him, her hand laying flat against his pale back. “You didn't give a shit about anyone before.”

His body seemed to relax at her touch, something she hadn't expected and his shoulders dropped. Shannon had almost a foot and a half on her but he felt small then. I don't know this man, Tish thought. Tenderly, her hand smoothed along his back.

“I was responsible for someone once.” Shannon stared out the window. The crowd below seemed to stick together and crow each time someone appeared in the quad. “And he died.”

Her hand fell away and her own guilt swelled.

I know how you feel, she wanted to say but Tish didn't open her mouth. I tried to save them but... I couldn’t. I couldn't do it. They're dead now. It’s… it’s all my fault.

“In the valley, surrounded by Wendigo's, it happened again. I was responsible for those kids. At one point it was only me, there was no one else. ” His voice seemed to grow stronger, his body almost flexing into a firmer stance. “They needed me.”

And you stood the fuck up. You did what was right. You put your life on the line to save a gaggle of kids and here I am being a bitch about you not sharing your horror story. Tish swallowed hard and exhaled a heavy breath.

“So, you what, grew up a bit?” she half-joked lest things get too serious.

His tension slid away and Shannon turned to her chuckling. “Oh fuck off.”

She handed him his shirt and he pulled it over his head. “I guess I kinda get what you mean.” Tish looked down at her hands and flexed away her nerves. “Shit happens. Things change. Just didn’t…”

“Kinda nice when we can pretend shit didn’t get real?”

“Yeah.” Her lips trembled a little and despite the hangover, she could still see Peter’s face. Hear Viola screaming. See Laurence howling. She shut her eyes and there they waited.

Shannon’s hands smoothed down her arms and her eyes fluttered open.

“I guess you not being a predictable idiot isn’t the worst thing in the world.”

“Really? That’s what you thought of me?” His fingers stopped at her elbows.

She flashed him a mischievous smile. Her fingers trailed up his chest wrapping around his neck. “I mean, I could probably get used to this new you. He’s not so bad.” Tish's lips softly brushed his, waiting for the brief moment of hesitation to pass before they embraced.

He's not perfect.

His arms swung around her waist and pulled her small body into his.

I don't want perfect.

Shannon took a step forward, their lips still locked, until Tish's legs touched the edge of the bed. Sliding down her hips, his hands held her close as her fingers fumbled beneath the shirt he’d just put back on.

Just a good man.

His fingers ineptly tugged at her jeans before she fell back into the bed, his body braced just inches above her.

I just want a good man.


Thank you for reading!  As always, I love being able to share this story in its updated and improved form and I love having readers. If you have any comments, feedback, hype, etc, I'd love to hear from you!

[MAD Wendigo - Prologue Narration]


2