Chapter 36 – Part 2
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The argument was expected when Brendan spread the “good word” about the new arrangement. Tish threatened the radio and Greg bemoaned not heading back. Monte promised to show Lancaster just how glad he was to be stuck at the manor until further notice. But, after Brendan did as he was told, and contacted the college, the clamour died down under Evelyn’s clear orders.

“You will respect and do as Lancaster says as if he was your own damn mother. If any of you screw this up for us, we leave you behind. That is the unanimous decision of the council. Are we clear?”

The chorus of “yes” was met by Evelyn’s approval. “I’d also like to speak with Doctor Black and my son alone.”

“It’s my radio,” Lancaster pouted, but Reid took him by the arm and led him down to the third floor.

“I think he's living here alone,” Helena said once the room had emptied. “I haven’t seen signs of anyone else.”

Evelyn’s sigh was so strong it came over the open line. “I'm not terribly shocked by this. Archy was never one for keeping his word when progress would suffer. Who'd trust such a slimy snide little...” Her voice trailed off in unintelligible muttering. “Have you seen any sort of medical supplies? Rations?”

“No. We came right to the tower. He does have some weapons and obviously, he’s not starving, but we weren’t exactly given a tour. Besides, we’re not here to take his stuff.”

“You are there to secure the safety and longevity of our people. That does not include Lancaster. Am I clear?”

Helena opened her mouth to protest but Eric pressed a hand to her shoulder. With a gentle squeeze, he silenced her and leaned toward the microphone.

“We understand,” he answered for them.

“Good,” Evelyn said. “Next, you’ll make direct contact with the Outreach. That’s what we’ve been calling them at least. ‘Rescuers’ has such a strange helplessness attached to it that I’d rather not address.”

Helena blinked. “You mean… me?”

“Yes, Miss Black. You will contact the Outreach and dictate our terms.”

Though they couldn’t see, Helena shook her head. “I thought this would be better handled by-”

“Someone else, of course, but out of who's there we're left with little choice on a spokesperson for our community. Just remember, we want to know how many can be evacuated and how soon.”

Helena ran the idea through her mind a few times before it sunk in. How many? They expect to bargain? They expect to leave people behind? She didn't answer the radio for a few moments, even after Evelyn requested a response.

It took Eric shaking Helena’s shoulder to nudge her to respond.

“Alright,” she said. “I'll contact them immediately.”

“Do not tell them where you or the rest of us are. Not yet.” Jonas’s voice surprised her as he rarely spoke up but his intent was clear and commanding. “Think of it as a hostage negotiation. Be clear. Be direct. Make demands, not requests.”

“And be quick about it.” Another voice chipped in, one she hadn't expected but knew well enough. Lyndon and his mother argued briefly before he called out again. “My son, he needs a real doctor. If this Lancaster-”

“That's enough Lyndon,” Evelyn snapped. “Keep us appraised, Helena. There's a lot riding on this.”

The use of her first name made Helena shiver. It was always Miss Black. Always formal. There’s a lot riding on this…

Still nodding, she leaned into the microphone. “Understood.”

Once the room fell silent, the oppressive responsibility weighed on her shoulders. They trust me and I'm lying to them. They need me to save them and their kids. Will I be saved to? Or just another tool? Another cog in the wheels? Will they leave me here with Lancaster to starve or get eaten alive by wendigos and what about... Her mind spiralled into haunting scenarios until Eric squeezed her shoulder again.

“Come on,” he said softly. “Brendan can help you make the call later. Let’s sort our situation out first and call later.”

“But-“

“They can wait,” he insisted.

They climbed down the stairs to the third floor. It was empty but the sound of voices carried from the stairwell. As they reached the second floor, the rest of them had gathered at the bottom of the stairs in the tight hallway.

“Done already?” Shannon asked, pushing off the wall he’d been leaning against.

Helena nodded but still felt the mild panic in her joints and rumbling her gut.

“So what’s the plan?” Reid asked. He stood, arms crossed over his chest. In the dim light of the corridor, his look of disapproval smeared across his face. She had an answer for him but it was different than the one she had for the rest. He knows it. He’s such a prick for putting me on the spot and just…

“I forgot to mention something I believe is rather important,” Lancaster interjected. “Well important if you have plans to contact those who proliferated the ‘wanted’ posters. Which I'm assuming is the case since you've come all the way here for a few simple radio parts and there really isn’t anyone nearby listening, unless you count -”

“Will you stop that?” Reid snapped. “He's been doing this since we left the tower. Won’t stop stammering about a million different things.” Despite, or because of his perpetual distrust and irritation, Reid looked comfortable in the setting. Gun slung over his shoulder, smug stance, and the casual manning what would probably pass as a prisoner if Lancaster had bothered to notice. He's no good behind the wall. Reid's better at this. Better here than back there with strings and complications… Her mind had wandered and her thoughts grew dark.

“I am trying to help,” Lancaster snapped. “The line you will contact is not a monitored station, at least not all twenty-four hours. I have tried contacting them before without response.”

“Well you didn't exactly have what they were looking for,” Tish said.

“Quite right,” Lancaster said. “Although that was not always the case. Before they knew I had nothing they responded once every thirty-six hours. It was only after they learned I knew little that they stopped responding.”

“I see your point. They're not going to respond right away.” Helena sighed and rubbed her forehead. “Best we can do is take turns listening in, calling out?”

“That would be prudent,” Lancaster agreed. “I stopped tracking their scheduling a year ago, so I’m not sure when they’ll next be communicative. However, I do recommend someone other than myself do so. I’ll have my hands full!” He turned his attention to Ashley and smiled.

“I know the frequency,” Brendan said. “I can set it up and take the first shift?”

Helena nodded. “Evelyn was clear that I do the talking though. Until then just… something generic. ‘We have information regarding the infection’ should be fine.”

“Use my name.” Ashley’s voice always managed to cut through the crowd. “Tell them you have me but don’t say where. That’ll get their attention.”

“You in a hurry to get dead?” Monte goaded.

Without missing a beat she stepped up to him, shoulders squared off. “Are you?” Ashley’s voice dropped low and Monte stepped back instinctively.

“Yes, well, as fun as all this is, it doesn’t concern me all that much.” Lancaster turned and held out his hand to Ashley. “Shall we get to work, Miss Cazalla?”

Ashley looked at his hand but didn’t take it. “Lead the way, doc,” she said.

“Wait, what?” Frustration drained from Reid’s face as he watched Ashley willingly follow Lancaster down the hall. Though the lantern went with him, light from the hall window kept them from swimming in complete darkness. “Where is he taking her?”

“Someone should probably watch them,” Helena said, ignoring Reid’s question. She knew he’d be the one to volunteer and it’d keep him out of her hair. At least for a while.

Sure enough, Reid swore and took off down the hall.

“Monte, Gabe, take a look around and see if you can find anyone else,” Eric said. “Just look. Don’t touch ‘em. Don’t fuck around. Greg, go with Brendan, keep an eye on the radio in case Lancaster gets twitchy.

“Got it, boss man,” Greg said. Monte and Gabe nodded in agreement.

Eric smoothed a hand over his shaved head. “Shannon, Tish, can you take stock of what’s around? Exits? Weapons? Food? Where to shit?”

“Yeah, alright.” Tish pouted but did as she was told.

Shannon followed on her heels. “We should make a map of this place. I hear there are secret passages.”

Helena listened and smiled as Eric took control. She could trust him to do the right level-headed thing, to follow through and keep his shit together. Once the gaggle had dispersed and they stood alone in the hall Helena’s shoulder’s finally relaxed. She stopped clenching her whole body in one tense motion.

“Hey.” Eric made his way to her side, his shape towering over her. “You doin’ alright?”

“I don’t know.” She took a deep breath. “Just feeling the pressure, you know?”

Eric smiled down at her and she felt her lips reflecting one back. “Yeah. There's a lot going on, but don't worry.” He put his hands on her shoulders and lowered his head to her eye level. “You got this.”

The blind confidence in her wasn't new, the way Eric looked at Helena wasn't new either. Few bothered to get to know the big man because of his family and the whole quiet stoicism but as she stood there, Helena knew she could trust him. Trust that when he said it’d be alright, it would be.

But in the back of her mind, a thought needled with guilt. I’m lying to him too.

Her smile faltered, the real one, and a fake-practiced tight smile took its place. “You're right.” Helena exhaled and steadied herself. “I have to do this.”


[MAD Wendigo - Prologue Narration]

Thank you for reading! I'm really happy I get to share this book/serial/conglomerate of words and drama with you. Having readers is amazing. If you have any comments, feedback, hype, etc, I'd love to hear from you too.

1