Chapter 40 – Part 1
19 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The mood of the manor house changed after the transmission. Ashley could feel it in the air. The anticipation did strange things to each of the survivors and, from a distance, she tried to catalogue their reactions. Monte and his boys smirked a lot more the few times they passed by on the stairs. When they noticed Ashley, they often hardened their features and glared. Lancaster picked up the pace with…. Everything he did. Taking samples, running tests, talking, even his bathroom jaunts turned into jogs.

Ashley didn’t see much of Tish but when she did the woman was distracted. Eric and Helena always walked in tandem, whispering in secrets tones. She normally caught sight of them when they went to the tower or if Eric was minding Ashley. He wasn’t the worst guard but Eric always kept eyes on her. Shannon was probably the most relaxed and seemed more than happy to leave her to her own devices. Despite everything that had happened he looked the least flustered by the news.

And Reid… well Ashley hadn’t seen Reid since he dropped her off at Lancaster’s small lab. The terse trip down the hall had been more than enough to let her know where they stood. Or didn’t.

Whatever the case, they all felt a little different. Probably sinking in, she thought. It must seem all that much more real to them now.

Ashley rubbed her arms in her stately room, nothing but dust for company. It’ll be quick. A needle filled with just enough to make me manageable. The cuffs. A long flight. Then the facility. A cell. Cold tables, sterile clean bleach in your nose and those fucking lights. The memories weren’t far and surfaced like bile. They lingered in the silence and dark of her room.

She didn’t use to mind it. The dark. The quiet of an empty house. But at night, when the rest of them went to sleep, when the footsteps died and the gentle murmur of voices disappeared, the manor closed in around her. Strange creaking that set her on edge, the smallest movement beyond the windows drawing her attention. Like she’d never survived out in the wilds, her skin itched and sleep remained elusive.

And beneath it all, she knew it would change.

In the morning they were heading out. Gas siphoned, transport ready. They might even restrain her in case she got cold feet. Despite Eric and Helena’s whispers, Ashley had no illusions about what was coming. Their pitying looks couldn’t hide the truth.

She was going back.

The door creaked, a light beaming into the dark room. “I'm gonna be getting some shut-eye,” Shannon said with a yawn.

Ashley frowned. “Who’s taking over?” From her reckoning, Shannon had her night watch.

Despite the dark, she caught a glimmer of a smirk as he stepped inside and closed the door behind him. With the battery-powered lantern in hand, Shannon walked past where Ashley sat on the antique furniture and opened the door to the adjoining room.

“There's a pack and a rifle through here,” he said in a whisper. “Reid told me you were set on seeing this through but I still owe you one. Not just for the kids but, you know. Saving. Us.” The words bubbled from him awkwardly and he frowned. “For saving me, really. I don't know what’s going on here— Helena and Eric are acting fuckin’ weird and you can never trust Monte—but what I do know is that I don't like leaving debts unpaid.”

Ashley pushed off the plush fabric sofa and shook her head. “You don't owe me any-“

“I see it like this,” he said. “I'm leaving you the pack and the gun. You can choose to take it or not. If you do,” Shannon looked towards the door, leaning in a bit to whisper. “Take that poor fucker with you. They’ll blame him if he stays and you know no one else likes him too much.”

Ashley looked back to the door that led to the hallway, discerning a shadow and light under the thin line of the door. Someone standing guard.

Reid.

Ashley moved to argue, but Shannon stepped up and clasped his hand over her mouth. “If you don't take it, if you're serious about giving up, at least convince him not to go to the trade.”

Ashley's eyes reflected shock as Shannon's hand fell away. “What… why can’t he go?” she asked but the answer dawned on her as it left Shannon’s lips.

“He’ll go. He’ll play along and then he’ll do something stupid.” Shannon smiled like a kid as he looked down at Ashley. “If I were him, and it was Tish-“

“Okay, I get it.” Ashley swallowed hard. “I'll convince him.” She said the words with conviction but what it meant left her wondering. Reid's half as stubborn as I am. So what am I going to do? Piss him off until...

Shannon nodded but stepped in closer. “They'll kill him,” he said, his voice low and serious. “Monte and the others will kill Reid if they get even a whiff that he helped. Hell, probably just because they’ll be pissed.”

“I'll convince him,” Ashley insisted. He’s already pissed. It shouldn’t be too hard. Push him until he doesn’t give a shit. Make him hate me, leave no rhyme or reason. Convince him. The thought left Ashley feeling ill but her mind was made.

“He'll be on watch tonight,” Shannon said as he closed the door to the other room. He then made his way out the front where Reid waited and Shannon closed the door behind him.


[MAD Wendigo - Prologue Narration]

Thanks for reading! I'm sorry there was such a delay between this part and the last. When it rains, it pours, but I'm here and still writing sometimes.

2