Clue 5: Countryside
2 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day 2 - December 2041
- Westwood city, Kansas - United States - 8:33 PM

The killer is still on the run, still walks free. The sky is already dark and the investigation of the case hasn't made much progress. The town becomes quiet once again since everybody is being cautious. Now no one dares to walk alone at night.

Down on the street, a couple of girls are on the sidewalk while holding hands together to walk past it. Both of them are finding an apartment, they're going to get in there.

The apartment they're looking for is before them. Up to the 4th floor, there's a room in which the lights are bright. Deep inside, two men can be seen sitting on the couches before a table. On the desk are the clues of the case.

They're the two investigators of the case - Alex Ramirez and Keyes Turner. Both of them are discussing about the case. The investigation is now at its dead end. The identity of "Hoodies Killer" is now still cloudy in the dim shadow.

Inspector Alex's deductions are much different than his co-worker's. He declares that the possibility of citizen Jimmy Sullivan being the killer of the case is impossible. This man is a war veteran, a soldier who always has to fight on the battlefield. He just recently got a 7-day vacation and had just come to the town about three days ago.

Meanwhile, there's another murder case that occurred three months ago. The way the killer executed his victim was similar to the recent one. But citizen Sullivan wasn't in the town in September at that time. While both murder cases are suspected to have been committed by the same killer who is a serial killer.

Jimmy Sullivan is innocent...

But with inspector Turner Keyes, his conclusions are much different.

He hasn't had any proof that says Jimmy Sullivan is the possible killer. But it doesn't mean that this citizen is not suspicious in Keyes' eyes.

This man has the same height as the killer, measured many times by AI Silia. He is tall and also big, similar to the killer. He has blue eyes, the killer was also described to be blue-eyed as well. He wears a green hoodie, while the killer also wears a hoodie with a color when he goes to kill.

Also, the killer smokes, this man also smokes.

Although the conclusions of inspector Keyes look like to be drawn out because he thought too emotional, it's not like that.

Keyes had observed the profiles of the male citizens in the town. Those who have criminal record or not, he also checked, he didn't miss a man. But in the end, only Jimmy Sullivan's appearance was the most suited. There's no clue that says Sullivan is guilty, but Keyes knows he needs time.

He wants to observe this man for much longer. If he sees nothing suspicious, he'll stop.

"So... how it went, dude?". - Alex asked Keyes what he gathered after the meeting with convict Westley

Inspector Keyes goes silent as if he is thinking. It's obvious because his mind still has many unsolved questions. During the interrogation, Keyes never picked up Alex's calls for once. He was tired after interrogating the convict and fell asleep while on his way back to the police station.

"Not much to say...". - Keyes replied. "He said that night was too dark, he couldn't remember well if the killer was truly black or white". "But at least he confirmed one thing that... the guy stabbed the victim with his left hand".

"Okay...". - Alex nodded

"By the way, I didn't see Sullivan when I returned to my office". - Keyes said

"I told you already, Keyes". "He's visiting his relatives, he's not here". - Alex replied

"Stop it, you know". "That guy is not the killer, his profile is very clean and we don't need to waste our time like that".

"I didn't mail you the things I found from that man without purpose, Alex". - Keyes replied. "In history, many serial killers had clean profiles... those are just the windows to veil their faces". "Jimmy Sullivan still needs to be under surveillance".

"His room, did you?". - Keyes asked Alex

"No no, we need a search warrant, dude".

"We need to hurry, that man only stays here for a week". - Keyes became decisive. "Even if this man is innocent, we still need to check his house for once to make sure everything". "Alex, if the evidence's in his house, we cannot let it slip a-".

All of a sudden, a bell sound from outside rings when the two investigators were discussing. Their attention immediately points to the front door due to curiosity. Keyes wonders who is standing outside. Meanwhile, Ramirez knows this person well because he asked her to come here for the discussion.

"I forgot to tell you, just someone who wanna join us". - Alex said. "Kane, the short chick, you know her right?". - Alex asked Keyes

Keyes doesn't respond. He stares at the front door for a while while keeping his hands on his knees, with calm eyes. The room goes silent, while the door bell keeps ringing more two times. The girl Kuribayashi is waiting.

"Okay, she can come in". - Keyes allowed

"Come in, girl!". - Alex got off his chair to go to the door

Alex opens the door. Before him appear to be two women, both of them bow to greet him before going inside. One of the two women is Kuribayashi - the young lady police officer. She is holding the hand of her little sister Cindy.

"Hey, this's my little sis". - Kuribayashi told Alex while tapping her little sister's back

"Hello... I'm Cindy". - Cindy humbly greeted Alex

The young girl later approaches Keyes and greets him kindly. She puts a white food bag down on the table. The food and water in the bag seem to be bought for Keyes or Alex, or both. Cindy seems to be very shy and embarrassed if she visits someone with empty hands.

Cindy later takes a seat opposite Keyes and opens her purse to pull out a small book. The girl appears to be a quiet person, unlike her big sis who is much more outgoing and talkative.

The girl is taller than her older sister. She has the same hairstyle like her big sister but her face is very meek. This girl also dresses up very neat and tidy. Cindy seems to be very obedient, she keeps her mouth shut as if to avoid conflicts while reading book.

Cindy's big brown eyes keep reading her book with nervousness. She is wondering if that's what she should be doing while visiting a friend's house of her big sis.

"Hey, senior". - Kuribayashi approached Keyes and greeted him, she took a seat next to her dear little sister. "You know, I hope you can let me join". "I don't know if I can help much but I'm way better than him, no?". - She smirked, hitting Alex's left thigh slightly with her elbow

Keyes goes silent, he nods with acceptance. Four people soon gather at small a table, about to continue the discussion about the murder. On the table, there are some files of the case. The theories, clues and other things about the case are also on the table.

Kuribayashi and Cindy do feel odd when they see the room is quite a mess. They also find it ridiculous when Keyes is imitating L's sitting posture. But none of them laugh or do anything. They just sit on their couches, discussing.

"By the way...". - Kuribayashi re-opened the discussion. "I'm sorry for getting here late, you two". "I had to carry Cindy with me, I felt insecure and I couldn't end my job faster, got some problems".

Keyes nods. Alex feels like to ask but he doesn't ask Kane.

"So your little one here's not for investigation?". - Keyes asked Kuribayashi

"Yes, senior". - Kane replied

"Okay...". - Keyes replied

"You're new here, so maybe I'll brief you on something before we discuss n-".

"Ummmmm... everyone...". - All of a sudden, Cindy spoke up in nervousness

The glances start pointing at the young girl. She takes a long breath while putting her small book back in her purse. Cindy somehow appears to be a bit stressed. She makes a forced smile, trying to settle down her nervousness.

"Well... may I clean it up a bit? Your house is quite...". - Cindy stopped speaking, she waited for an answer from Keyes

"It's okay, just remember not to dump anything". - Keyes replied

Cindy doesn't say much but gets off her seat. She begins to clean up right away, thinking that's what she should be doing in a moment like this. Kuribayashi is a bit worried about her little sister. She gets up and intends to ask her dear little sister to put her hands off cleaning.

"I'm okay, sis". - Cindy replied

Alex gets off his couch and starts helping Cindy. This guy is having his eyes on the girl because he finds her cute and he can have his opportunity. Both of them start cleaning the house. Kuribayashi now feels bad for her little sister.

She wonders if her little sister becomes like this because of her late mother's teachings and hers combined. Unlike Kane, Cindy was taught to be meek and tidy, while her big sister was taught differently. Kuribayashi also taught her little sister to endure, which could be the result of her current personality state.

Kuribayashi returns to her seat in confusion. She thinks about helping her little sister. She opens her eyes and sees inspector Keyes. She knows the discussion is still allowed to continue without Alex.

Keyes deeply stares into Kuribayashi's eyes, as if to ask her if she wants to continue.

The female cop nods.

"But wait a bit, senior". - Kane suddenly told Keyes to stop. "Before briefing, I've got something to show you". - She slowly pulled out a blue file from her purse

That blue file is a copy of the two murder cases. The information in that file is full, detailed and even has information added by Kane. Kuribayashi hands over the file to Keyes. She hopes her search helped the investigation to progress.

"To sum up, it's about the specifics of the victims". - Kuribayashi said. "The killer's very intelligent, I think he lives here and he may be around here... well... umm". - She wondered what to say

"I don't know if you've noticed this, but he doesn't kill women or kids". "All of his victims died when they were harming someone". "Westley's brother-in-law attacked him, while Harden and Morfalos threatened Samantha Watson". "Maybe his targets are also the people who had criminal records".

"I believe if we look back at the old cases with these details, we'll know who he is ". - Kuribayashi later stopped talking

Keyes doesn't respond. He keeps his eyes on the documents, reading what the cop Kuribayashi collected. Meanwhile, Kane checks on her little sister. Cindy can be seen cleaning up the house alongside inspector Alex.

Both of them are becoming open to each other. Alex is trying to be friends with Cindy for further purposes.

"Kuri". - Keyes asked Kuribayashi to turn around

The girl turns around. She wonders what he'll say next.

"I used to think like you... but it's pointless". - Keyes replied. "I found no murder cases like these two". "My only answers are that he's been changing his killing methods for years". "Or else, he started killing people at the beginning of the world war when all the attention was pointed towards that war and neglected the other things".

"His skills say it all, he's an expert in killing". - Keyes said. "Right now we have a suspect to watch, nothing says he's a killer but we must check on that man carefully".

Kuribayashi wants to say to Keyes that she knows the man who is followed. But in the end, she doesn't say anything. Right now, Kane only knows to follow him. She believes that the investigation is progressing very well, although the police may be watching the wrong suspect.

"That man's out of town to visit his relatives". "If he's a killer, he may hide evidence inside his house, like weapons, or bloody clothes". - Keyes said. "But we need a search warrant to get in and I don't like that idea at all". "He'll leave the town after four more days". "We'll also find him and catch him when the evidence is collected".

Cindy and inspector Alex return to the table. The girl returns to read book to not disturb anyone, while the inspector focuses on Keyes.

"Work on it, Silia". - Keyes ordered the AI to work on finding a search warrant to search Jimmy Sullivan's flat

...

...

...

11:44 PM

It took them nearly three hours to take a search warrant to investigate.

The two investigators are now inside the apartment where Sullivan lives. They stand before the front door, about to get in for the search. Inspector Alex is smoking while waiting. He feels sleepy when he has to stay up late.

Inspector Keyes is also sleepy just like Alex. But he has gotten used to sleepiness. Right now, he stands in a corner with his back against the wall. He is waiting for inspector Kuribayashi because she is on her way to the apartment after reminding her little sister.

Inspector Alex sits on the floor, he takes another smoke while waiting. He is sleepy, he hates the search at midnight. But he knows if he stops his selfishness a bit more, the case will progress. No more waiting for the next day morning to search the house.

When the suspect Jimmy Sullivan is declared innocent, the case will have to restart to zero but he will be relieved.

"Hey, I've come!". - All of a sudden, inspector Kuribayashi came

Her footsteps are echoing as the girl is running on the small hallway. Inspector Keyes sees inspector Kane, he stops waiting and raises the search warrant to the door. The camera at the door recognizes the search warrant, the door later opens on its own. From that moment, Keyes steps in.

The three investigators start the search. Alex runs to the bed and throws the pillows up, he throws the bedsheets aside and checks on the bed. The inspector later checks under the bed. He finds nothing in return, but a mess.

Inspector Keyes checks on the closet and the desks, the tables in the room. He opens all drawers, ransacking everything he sees on his way. He finds nothing. He checks the below of everything single table... and still nothing.

Inspector Kuribayashi checks on the door. She later checks on the windows, the bathroom and the restroom. Her phone suddenly gets a call from someone. But she ignores it because she thinks it's from her little sister.

The three investigators check on the TV. They later check on every corner of every item. But in the end, they find nothing but a mess. The room of a decent citizen has become a complete mess after being touched by the investigators.

The three of them come up, looking at each other. They look at each other with the same thoughts on their faces. They have searched for the wrong suspect. The flat of citizen Jimmy Sullivan is not suspicious but very clean.

However, inspector Keyes doesn't believe it. He wants to check on the suspect one more time before letting off. He wants to see him in person, he wants to make sure he is not guilty.

"Is that enough, Keyes?". - Alex asked Keyes

Keyes doesn't respond. He stands there, thinking about the most reasonable theories. Jimmy Sullivan is the only person in town who has the most similar appearance to the murderer. He believes Sullivan is hiding his weapons somewhere not in his house.

While Keyes is thinking, Kuribayashi's phone rings bother him. He looks at her, Alex also does the same thing. Kuribayashi later pulls out her phone. The girl wonders who is really calling her.

Kuribayashi notices that the call isn't from Cindy, but her female co-worker. She decides to answer the fall with curiosity surrounding her.

"Hello... Hannah, what's wrong?". - Kuribayashi started speaking to the one who was calling her

Keyes and Alex try not to bother the girl. Both inspectors return to recheck the furniture in the room for the last time to make sure. The more Kuribayashi hears from the other side of the phone, the more she goes silent to listen. Her face appears to be very serious.

"Wait wait wait wait... we're too careless". - All of a sudden, Keyes said to Alex

"What?". - Alex was surprised

"This house needs to be secured from the outside to the inside". "We'll call a forensic team here tomorrow, they will use the luminol". "That's the only way...". - Keyes replied

Keyes still wants to believe that citizen Jimmy Sullivan is the true killer. He doesn't have proof, but he will find it. The weapons and the evidence may not be in this room, but the wiped blood stains may still remain.

If the forensic team sprays the luminol all over the room, the blood accidentally touched the floor and the wall may glow up before them.

"Stop being that cunt, dude! You're trying to prove an innocent man to be guilty". - Alex was quite pissed, but he managed to settle down his loud tone

"His appearance's the most suited, no one in town looks like the killer but him". - Keyes replied

"He's innocent!!!". - Alex couldn't control his frustration anymore, he shouted at Keyes'

Keyes stops responding, he knows it's pointless to argue with each other. The inspector ignores Alex and walks around the room, not letting any corner be missed. Keyes has a camera on his chest, which he is using to record the room. He wonders if Jimmy Sullivan is the killer, where would he hide the evidence and weapons.

"You two, please stop...". - Kuribayashi finally spoke up. "Something serious's happened". - She said

The two investigators stop arguing, they become quiet to listen to Kuribayashi.

"We're gathering men to help the cops in the Countryside". "A body was found in the field recently, they said it could be a murder". "That area lacks cops so they're gathering more men to help them".

After listening to Kuribayashi, Keyes steps outside.

...

...

...

Day 3 - December 2041
- Westwood city, Kansas - United States - 0:11 AM

Down on the street, a car can be seen parking neglectedly in the parking lot. A person opens the door and steps out immediately with a calm face. That person is inspector Turner Keyes. Following him is inspector Alex and inspector Kuribayashi.

The three of them point their way to the police station before them. For some reason, the police station at this moment is a little bit fussing. There's a crowd of five to six people outside. They're yelling, harassing the policemen who are guarding.

"Uhhh... they again...". - Kuribayashi felt sick when she saw the crowd

"Who are they?". - Alex asked

"Nothing... nothing, senior". - She covered her face, thinking about a way to get rid of the angry crowd

The three investigators come to the crowd. While Kuribayashi is thinking about a way to get rid of the crowd, Keyes is using another way. He immediately pushes a woman from the crowd down the stairs. That action makes Alex and the members of the crowd rush to the woman.

"What the fuck are you doing?!". - Alex was quite pissed, he picked up the woman carefully. "Ma'am, are you okay...? Are you good?". - He carefully checked on the old lady

Inspector Keyes doesn't care about what he did. He enters the police station without looking back, he goes straight. Inspector Kuribayashi and inspector Alex have to stand outside. The crowd is getting angry, they come to the station for some purpose.

"Get justice for my son!!!!!!!". - An old man in the crowd yelled. "What the hell are you doing?! Catch the killer!!!!!". - Another man in the crowd yelled. "My son did the bad thing but he didn't deserve it! He was the victim!". - An old lady yelled. "He killed my brother but why did you blame him?! What did he do?! He was the victim after all!!!".

The crowd is small, but their voices keep getting louder as they approach. More and more cops come out of the station and form a formation. They try their best to stop the angry mobs. The swearings, yellings start getting louder.

Some residents in the houses near the police station have been woken up. Some people come out to see what the hell is happening at midnight. Some start recording and watching the scene. The cops are trying their best to convince the mobs to stop.

The two inspectors cannot bear the noise. Alex and Kuribayashi slowly retreat, they get in the police station. The anger from outside is not over yet. The mobs don't stop, they just keep yelling in pain.

It ends the quiet night...

1