Clue 7: Wrong
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day 3 - December 2041
- Countryside, Kansas - United States - 11:16 AM

Jimmy Spencer Sullivan - the suspect of the murder cases, is now sitting opposite to the two inspectors. This man is a war veteran who is having an honor vacation for a week before returning to his duty. This man appears to be very calm before the investigators, he shows no fear. He sits quietly, listening to them. 

The living room is filled with silence since there are only three men in there. Inspector Alex Ramirez and inspector Turner Keyes are in the room. They watch the man, thinking about what to say. They want the suspect to show his suspiciousness in the interrogation first before they can do anything else. 

"Please enjoy, officers". - Elene, Sullivan's aunt approached the table and put down two cups of coffee

After serving the coffee, she leaves the room.

The aunt was very concerned when she saw two policemen come to meet her nephew so suddenly. Normal people would do the same if they didn't do anything but the police suddenly came to them. However, this woman's behaviors were a bit suspicious. This made the inspectors suspect Sullivan more though they don't have enough proof to arrest him.

The aunt wasn't allowed to join the interrogation to not to "disturb" the investigators.

Inspector Alex is now staring at Sullivan. He wishes he could point out the real nature of a man by just gazing at his face long enough. However, this is impossible at this moment. Alex wanted to believe that Sullivan wasn't a suspect, wasn't the murderer.

However, the proof from the CCTV footage is something that can be denied.

Although it didn't say Sullivan was in that footage, the hoodie he used to wear was the same color in the footage. And yet... he came to visit his aunt in the Countryside, right at the moment when two murders coincidentally met.

Two inspectors look at Sullivan, thinking about what to say to him.

Keyes taps lightly on Alex's left thigh, he wants his co-worker to open the talk.

Inspector Alex is now enduring his urge, he doesn't want to sleep yet. He looks at Sullivan, thinking carefully.

"We come to you becau-".

"It was me in the footage, officers, that was me...". - Sullivan replied in a calm way

Alex was surprised when Sullivan replied. Keyes keeps silent, he watches Sullivan. His phone is now recording Sullivan as well, using AI Silia to read him. His facial expressions and his behaviors will be recorded entirely and then re-checked after the interrogation to make sure the man wasn't lying.

"We haven't told you about what we wanted to say". - Keyes said

"The news last night showed me the murder, I knew you guys would come to me sooner or later". "I guess some cameras saw me... that's why you guys are here...". - Sullivan replied

"Where's the baby?". - Alex asked

"Don't worry, Sir". "The baby's fine, I left him in a shop in the town when I got there, the shopkeeper took care of him when she saw he was alone".

"Why didn't you come to a station?". - Alex asked again. "Give the baby for us, wasn't that much bette-".

All of a sudden, Keyes squeezes Alex's left shoulder a bit tight. The inspector seals his mouth, knowing he shouldn't speak too much. Keyes looks at Sullivan, thinking about the most efficient ways to question him without making mistakes.

"Let's say what you're saying here is true". "But that woman hasn't reported to us about the baby...". "Imagine if you committed something wrong even when you didn't mean to... you know the consequences... right?". - Keyes gazed at Sullivan

Sullivan nods.

"We only need you to be honest, remember lead us to the baby after this".

Sullivan nods.

"Right... now... about the woman who died in the field". - Keyes asked Sullivan

"I was passing by there when it was raining". "The woman... I saw her lying on the trail". "But I saw something else, a car, it rammed the field and ran past it". "I was very confused so... I ran to her but... she was already dead".

Both inspectors stay silent, they keep their minds cold to be understanding. They don't want to miss any details. Although Sullivan's statement seems to be normal, they don't want to let off guard.

"I followed the car, and... I found it". "I crept around it and... I saw a man, he kept hitting the car for some reason... then he ran away".

During the entire statement, Sullivan appeared to be a very calm man. His behaviors made him a bit suspicious. However, this could be explained that this man is strong-minded. The inspectors cannot base on that reason to suspect him unreasonably.

"Stop there, wait a bit". - Keyes ordered Sullivan to stop

"Forensic guy said he attempted to burn the car". "But this guy told a different story, Alex". - Keyes mumbled to the airpods connected with inspector Alex

"I know...". - Alex replied

"According to a detailed report, the police didn't find any trace of gasoline on the victim's car". "This could be explained by the hard rain, it might have worn it out". "However, the theory that the murderer tried to torch the car was just the forensic's assumptions without proof". - AI Silia replied

"Then the car might've been broken after bumping too much into the field". - Keyes drew out his theory

Alex nods.

"Continue". - Keyes ordered Sullivan to continue

"Well... I didn't chase the guy, I was scared that he would harm me". "I checked the car and saw a baby on the seat next to the driver's seat".

"I didn't want any troubles, I just knew to put the kid in somewhere safe when I got to the town". "That's why I carried him to the town".

At the end of the story, the two inspectors don't see Sullivan suspicious. However, the way he didn't report what he saw to the police makes these investigators wonder. Keyes wants to believe this man is the serial killer he is looking for. Meanwhile, Alex goes against this theory, though this cop does suspect Sullivan a little bit.

"Why didn't you report this?". - Alex asked. "She was supposed to be found that afternoon, not that late night". "She was a mother, she died and her kid was left to someone else because of you". "You don't have any responsibility?". - The inspector was a bit pissed off

"Who knows if that woman is caring for him well, you're fucking irres-".

"My life, my choice, Sir". - Sullivan explained. "He's fine, don't blame me, I'll lead you there if you need the baby".

"Have more responsibili-".

Again, inspector Keyes squeezes his co-worker's left shoulder tightly. He wants the interrogation to go well with the answers coming in the end. Right now, Keyes wants to surround suspect Sullivan with questions. He still suspects this man is the killer.

"You were wearing a green hoodie and black pants when you were going to the town?". - Keyes asked. "Is that correct... where are they?".

"In the washing machine...". - Sullivan nodded and replied

Keyes goes silent. He now wants to go straight to the point to push Sullivan down. He wants to see how would this suspect behave in the next scenario. Keyes taps on Alex's left thigh twice, asking him to bring out the "cards".

Alex slowly puts his phone on the table. The phone's screen is showing two photos of the victim Porter Sanderson and the suspect Frank Westley. They were the two first victims who encountered the Hoodies Killer.

This is just a little test made for Sullivan. They wonder how would this man react.

"Do you know who are they?". - Keyes asked

Sullivan takes a closer look at the two photos. An image of a dead man and an image of a life-convicted man who right now is believed to be an alibi. Keyes expects a suspicious answer from Sullivan. He doesn't blink, but keeps his eyes on every Sullivan's motion.

"I don't know them, who are they...?". - Sullivan looked up

His calm expression doesn't make Alex surprised. Because the inspector himself believes this man is truly innocent. However, Keyes doesn't believe that. He knows psychopaths are very good at imitating others' emotions in order to manipulate things.

If Jimmy Sullivan is a serial killer, it would be a high possibility...

"These photos are our potential suspects". "His face, do you remember anything?". - Keyes asked Sullivan again

"No". - Sullivan shook his head. "It was raining, I didn't notice that guy's face much". "I was too far from him".

All of a sudden, Keyes slides the photos away and replaces them with two new ones.

The current two photos are the recent victims of the Hoodies Killer. Victim James Harden and Jonnie Morfalos. Inspector Keyes wants to see Sullivan's reaction. He will know the answer when Sullivan looks at the photos.

Serial killers tend to get sweat, breathe heavily, stop their breath or open their pupils when they recognize the photos of their victims during the interrogation.

"Hmmm...". "Wait, Sir...". - Sullivan replied with a bit of confusion on his face

"These guys... look familiar". - Sullivan replied with a confused face

Both inspectors ear up with full of caution. Sullivan puts his eyes away from the photos and slowly starts thinking.

"I saw them on the news or something...". - Sullivan replied while kept thinking. "Sorry, I didn't watch TV much in the past days". "Don't have time for that, I only have a week to be with my family".

"I hope the suspect is one of those in the photos, I only saw his face from afar when it was raining...". "I don't remember, I honestly can't help you".

Hearing Sullivan's answer, inspector Keyes feels disappointed. He did expect this scenario, but he never wanted it to happen at all. From this moment, the inspector his best tries to cling to his deductions. He wonders if the progress of the investigation has gone wrong.

Alex sees that Sullivan is not suspicious anymore. He looses a bit to relax, he breathes out calmly while watching Keyes. The inspector later grabs a cup of coffee. For no reason, Keyes puts that coffee cup away from Alex's reach.

Keyes slowly looks down. He looks at the dark surface of the coffee, thinking about the scenarios. Sullivan is still suspicious in his eyes no matter how. Right now, Inspector Keyes wants to find out.

"Do you know this woman?". - Keyes slowly put a photo of the witness Samantha Watson on the table to let Sullivan see

The two glance at Sullivan, waiting for his expression. Sullivan blinks and doesn't have much reaction. Alex grumbles his face to ask Keyes not to give Sullivan more hard time. However, inspector Keyes doesn't feel good about the result which is before his eyes.

Sullivan shakes his head.

"Who's she, Sir?". "The dead woman...?". - Sullivan replied

Inspector Keyes doesn't respond. He looks down to watch the black surface of his coffee cup, seeing his unclear reflection. Then the inspector takes a look at his watch, he stays silent without an answer.

"You took us quite lot of time, kid". - Keyes looked straight up, staring at Sullivan

"What?". - Sullivan was very confused

"Stop hiding... turn yourself in before it's too late...". - Alex replied

"What do you mean?". - Sullivan was very calm, but his face started showing some frustration

"Three months ago, you killed a man and made this innocent man sit in prison". - Keyes showed Sullivan the photos of Porter Sanderson and Frank Westley. "You also killed these two and ran to the countryside to hide us". - The inspector mentioned James Harden and Jonnie Morfalos

"Now you killed a woman who had a child and made up a story which you were a witness". "Stop bullshitting us, we know all of it!". - Keyes slammed the table, he wanted to weaken Sullivan's mind to make him turn himself in

"Sir... I kill nobody...". - Sullivan replied in a calm way

"We haven't announced the identities of the two victims to the public but you knew their faces". "Stop lying". - Keyes got closer to Sullivan, scaring him

"It's a bunch on the internet...". - Sullivan, again, still replied in a calm voice

"Bullshit". "This woman has confirmed that you're the killer!". - Keyes raised Samantha's photo to show Sullivan

Of course, that's just a lie to attack a person's mind so that will make them turn themselves in.

"I'm innocent, I don't kill anyone!!! Shut up!!!". - Sullivan got mad, he got up and shoved Keyes away

"We have all the evidence!!!".

"I'm innocent!!!!!". "Leave me alone!!!!! All of you go away!!!!".

With his rising anger, Sullivan flips the table and throws the liquid of coffee on Keyes. The inspector's hand gets burned due to the hot coffee, he screams out.

All of a sudden, Alex rushes to Sullivan and punches his cheek. Sullivan falls and he grips the couch to prevent him from falling to the floor. However, his strong grip itself pulls him and the couch down on the floor in a painful way.

...

...

...

12:26 PM

It took a lot of time for both sides to settle down. At this moment, everything on both sides seems to be fine, the fight did not last long.

Outside of the house, there's a figure standing in a corner for a short moment. The person walks away and goes around the house not so long after looking around. That's inspector Keyes. He is searching around the house to find if there's something suspicious.

His suspicions towards Jimmy Sullivan have decreased after the previous argument. But still, he doesn't want to miss any details. The current suspect doesn't appear to be suspicious. But the inspectors still need to be around him for a while, just to make sure he is innocent before they let off him.

Inside the house is another story. Inspector Alex is now watching suspect Sullivan. The suspect is now in the living room, sitting on a couch, smoking in frustration. Alex doesn't let his guard down, he doesn't have much suspicion towards Sullivan anymore, but still has to finish his job fully.

Alex can see that Sullivan is just an innocent man. 30 minutes ago, Sullivan was questioned for the second time by the two inspectors. Sullivan powerfully claimed that he was not guilty. He was very cooperative with the two cops during the interrogation, always calmly answered the repeated questions with patience.

But when the questions came to declaring that he was the killer, Sullivan was pissed. He denied it all the time, he was calmed when being asked that repeat question from three to four times, but was later pissed.

The two inspectors had no proof. The information of the two recent murders in Westwood city was somehow exposed on the internet. This could be the work of a cop, because inspector Keyes didn't want to expose this news to public.

From now on, the investigation is on a dead end.

The two inspectors and Sullivan still only have a few minutes left in the house. They will have to search for the missing baby first. Before that search ends, they temporarily stop the investigation on the Hoodies Killer.

Alex puts his eyes away from suspect Sullivan. He starts walking around the house, memorizing the areas where his co-worker Keyes put the bugs (mini microphones) and cameras for surveillance. Since Sullivan cannot be watched all the time, the two inspectors will have to watch him through those devices.

Alex turns off his cigarette. The inspector later realizes that he stepped in the kitchen by accident. Before him is Elene Sullivan - Sullivan's aunt. The woman is now making lunch for her nephew.

A blast pops up in his mind, Alex notices that he and Keyes haven't questioned the aunt. If the woman is suspicious, she will expose it. Alex stands at the aunt's back, thinking about how he will question her. But he only knows approaching her is the first time.

"Ma'am...". - Alex called up

"Oh, officer". "Is there anything?". - Elene stopped cooking, she turned around to see the inspector with a nervous look

Of course, no one wants to see the police at all. Especially when it comes to a murder, it's serious.

"I just want to apologize for the fight earlier, okay?". "Just relax". "Please, just a few questions". - Alex raised his right hand towards her face, asking her to calm down

Elene nods after hearing him.

"As I briefed you before, your nephew's suspected to have been involved in the two murders in the city". "He got to the countryside and another also popped up".

"If you have anything to say, just tell us honestly".

"He's a good boy, he will never do such a thing". - Elene replied, her eyes enduring, but deep inside were full of pleading, hoping the two inspectors leave her nephew alone

"Could you describe when he came here, ma'am?".

"Yes". "My nephew got here suddenly, I just newly got hom ". "He came here all wet because of the rain...".

"His clothes are in there, inside the washer...". - She pointed to the house's bathroom

"You just newly got home?". - Alex focuses on the question

"I run a clothing shop in the town". "It was raining, I closed the shop early because of that".

"Okay...". "So, he didn't bring a baby with him, right?". "Did you see anything like blood or... did you see anything suspicious?".

"No, officer". "My boy got in with his wet clothes, nothing else". - Elene replied

"I asked him why he came, he said because he missed me". "We got separated due to the war, the last time we met in person was maybe three or four years ago".

"Okay...". - Alex replied, while waiting for AI Silia to remember every word Elene said

"He's not a killer, please don't give him hard time". - Elene begged

"We need you to calm down, ma'am, just a bit more". "Cooperate with us and I assure you everything will be fine".

"Hmmmm...". "Did he bring a knife or anything when he got here? Did you find anything?".

"No, he didn't bring anything".

"By the way...". - Elene crossed her hands, showing a nervous face. "He told me about a murder that happened near his apartment when he got here". "He was very glad because his parents weren't living in Westwood anymore".

"So he told you about the murder?".

Elene nods.

Alex is thinking about what he should ask next. The inspector is surprised when a figure from behind passed him when he was standing before the aunt, thinking. The figure somehow turns out to be Sullivan. The young man crouches and opens the fridge to take some water to fill his throat.

Alex takes his eyes off Sullivan, he focuses on the aunt but now can't ask her anything. He wants Sullivan to go away, he doesn't want this little interrogation to be interfered by this young man.

"Sir, your friend's waiting for you outside". - Sullivan put the small water bottle back inside the fridge. "He says we need to go now".

Hearing Sullivan's explanation, Alex doesn't respond. He only knows to let off the aunt for now. After the search for the baby is finished, the two inspectors will return to the house. When it comes, Alex hopes to dig more information from Sullivan's aunt.

Alex nods to Sullivan. The young man will now lead the way for the two inspectors to find the baby. Two of them are now trying to solve two serious murder cases at the same time. These murders could have been committed by two different murderers, or the cases were committed by the same guy.

No one knows, that's why the fog needs to be wiped out.

Alex and Sullivan leave the house and step outside. Sullivan immediately follows the commands of inspector Keyes. Three of them get inside a police car, they are about to search for the baby in the nearest town.

Inspector Alex slowly puts his phone on his ears. Inspector Kuribayashi who is now in the city, checking on Sullivan's apartment. Her last report was in the early morning. And for no reason, the girl doesn't respond to the two inspectors till this time.

This could be explained that the apartment's search was finished completely without spotting anything suspicious.

But at least she should have reported to them.

Alex still clings to his phone, while the car starts rolling on the road.

0