Chapter 3: Rescuing Royalty
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been a year since I had assumed control of the barony. The beginning was tumultuous, as I was unaware of the extent of corruption that had infested my territory. I had no choice but to dismiss numerous corrupt officials, and many of them threatened me with dire consequences. However, I remained resolute, relieving them of their positions and replacing them with newcomers. Training these newcomers took time, but I found solace in the sight of people walking happily on the newly paved paths outside my window. The golden fields of wheat were the lifeblood of many farmers in my barony. Watching a trade caravan depart from town, with many residents waving goodbye, filled me with a sense of accomplishment.

I returned to my chair and sighed. In the span of a year, I had learned much about the abilities granted by the Primordial chaotic firestone. "My heart's alive thanks to the firestone," I mused. 'Not only had my physical strength grown, but I could also feel a chaotic energy coursing through me, ready to unleash its power.'

Every day, I made it a routine to attend to the requests and complaints of my citizens, followed by rigorous sword training, and then retirement to my chambers for the night.

Observing the people going about their daily lives, I noticed a newfound happiness that had been absent during my father's rule. I knew they despised my father, often expressing relief that he had died from poisoning. Nevertheless, they were my subjects, and I couldn't arbitrarily punish them; it would jeopardize my barony. Furthermore, I couldn't bring my father back to face justice.

Sinking into my chair once again, I sifted through papers, approving each one methodically, hoping to find something intriguing. Yet, all I encountered were a few complaints about neighbors and minor disputes. Resolving such issues had become my daily duty.

Having finished the paperwork, I gazed out the window once more. The clouds offered respite from the sun's scorching rays, and I attempted once again to gather energy in my palm, trying to manifest something, much like the way mages conjured fire magic. I sensed the buildup of energy but struggled to materialize it.

I ceased my attempts and focused on the window, briefly spotting a banner heading toward my manor. It bore the emblem of the Royal family. Horror washed over me as I sensed a surge of magic, causing an explosion that brought the banner crashing down. My body turned cold as I contemplated, "It must be an assassination attempt!"

Although I had no desire to enter the battle, I realized I had no choice. If any member of the royal family were to die in my territory, I would be the one facing execution, regardless of who had committed the act. The power of the opposing party had to be formidable, as they were currently engaged with the Royal guards.

Without hesitation, I leaped out of the window, an unknown power coursing through my body in response to the emergency. A few words escaped my lips without my control, "Hell's spree."

Fire erupted beneath my feet, and an overwhelming warmth enveloped me. My vision sharpened, and I was drawn to the ongoing battle. I left a trail of burning footprints as I dashed forward, instinctively unsheathing the sword from my back. In a single stroke, my blade cut a blazing arc through the person nearest to me.

A scream filled the air as the figure collapsed, blood pouring from their mouth. All eyes turned towards me, but an irresistible urge commanded me to utter, "Slay them all."

A surge of power enveloped my blade, cloaking it in a blazing fire that blinded everyone nearby. They clutched their eyes, writhing in agony, while I felt my heart race and my head grow light. My body moved on its own, attacking the nearest assassin. Within seconds, I beheaded the individual, and the sight of their fallen comrades sent the remaining assassins fleeing.

As they scattered, the urge to pursue them surged within me, but I fought to regain control of my body and mind. My priority was to tend to the person inside the carriage.

When I finally regained my senses, I coughed, noticing a few drops of blood. I glanced around and saw that the Royal guards had fallen victim to the poisonous air. However, my Primordial chaotic firestone had seemingly cured me of the poison.

I approached the nearest guard, who had ceased breathing long ago. They all shared the same ghastly green skin, bleeding eyes, and foaming mouths. Realizing there was no hope for them, I turned my attention to the tightly sealed carriage, a standard precaution for royalty.

I tried to open the door, but it was securely locked. "It is safe now; the assassins have fled," I called out to the person inside.

A panicked, feminine voice responded, "How can I trust that you aren't one of them?"

I chuckled softly, my voice firm and confident as I replied, "Son of Ygner! Baron of Veil! Greets Your Highness."

This was a formal greeting used when meeting royalty, and I knew it had little effect on them. However, it seemed to work as the carriage's gate opened.

"Miss, don't come out yet; the poison smoke hasn't dissipated," I warned her about the toxic clouds that still lingered.

A timid voice from inside the carriage spoke up, "Baron Veil, please take the reins of the horse and drive to a safe location."

I surveyed the horses, which had been knocked out by the poison. I shook my head and replied, "Miss, we can't. The horses are still incapacitated."

The carriage fell silent for a few moments, followed by the sound of sobbing and whimpers. "Mother... I don't want to marry that sleazy man. Now little Bunni is trapped in this carriage surrounded by poison. Am I going to die? I don't want to die," the girl cried, her emotions pouring out.

I sighed as I continued to watch over the carriage, waiting for the horses to awaken or the deadly clouds to disperse.

As I waited, the horses slowly regained consciousness, and I finally breathed a sigh of relief. I took the reins and called out to the girl, "Miss, the horses are back up. We can leave." However, there was no reply, so I began to move the carriage toward my manor.

0