Chapter 6: Promise of marriage
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Today was the day I was going to meet his majesty, Richard. I walked through the wide streets of the Capital, just another person in the sea of people bustling about. The royal capital of Aqua was incredibly crowded, and I had to squeeze my way through the throngs of people as I made my way towards the palace. The palace itself was built beside a carved mountain that supported it, surrounded by double moats inhabited by dangerous animals that lay in wait for anything to fall into the water.

Soon, I spotted the palace on the distant horizon, with the roaring sound of a mighty river flowing down the mountain. I couldn't help but be surprised by how much stronger it had become since the last time I had seen it.

As I walked inside the palace, the guards merely glanced at me and let me pass. I finally arrived at the court, where the king and queen sat on their thrones, waiting for me. The king had an unfriendly look in his eyes as I approached and knelt.

I waited for his majesty to speak first in the silent court, my gaze shifting around the room to avoid looking directly at the king. There was a hidden fury deep in his eyes, and it was evident that he was struggling to contain it. I felt a chill run down my spine as I trembled in fear under the king's pressure.

My eyes continued to wander around the room, trying to avoid meeting the king's gaze, when Richard finally spoke, "Baron of Veil, Agni, I must thank you for your service to the kingdom and your loyalty as a subject." His voice carried a hint of insincere sorrow as he continued, "Upon hearing of the loss of your father due to your brother's assassination, I was shocked. You two were always so close, and your mother's passing at an early age must have placed a heavy burden on your shoulders. To alleviate your worries, I have decided to exempt you from paying taxes for the entire year."

Anger welled up inside me as he feigned sympathy, and I clenched my fists in frustration. Yet, my eyes widened in surprise at his decision to waive my taxes. It was a remarkable gesture, as it would allow me to focus on developing a proper town for my people instead of struggling with limited resources. Richard was not known for his generosity, which left me feeling uneasy.

The king took a deep breath, stood up, and walked toward me, locking eyes with me and gritting his teeth as he continued, "You also saved my daughter, and for that, I must thank you not only as a king but as a father. I must say, you are quite audacious to promise to marry my daughter, even though she is engaged to Burren, the son of the Duke of Golden Prairie."

My mind went blank at the mention of 'marrying my daughter,' and I struggled to recall when I had made such a promise. I stared at Richard, who was now fuming.

I opened my mouth slightly, letting out a whimper-like plea, "Your majesty, I didn't say anything of the sort."

My voice was barely audible, but Richard heard it. His expression shifted from anger to bewilderment and confusion as he furrowed his brows. His tone softened as he said, "Baron of Veil, considering that you have promised my daughter your hand in marriage, and in light of my daughter's request for leniency towards you, believing that you were bewitched by her beauty, I shall forgive you. According to the tradition of the Aqua royal family, you must now formally request my daughter's hand in marriage."

Desperation tinged his voice as he commanded me to do this, and I couldn't back away from this unexpected situation. With a trembling body and voice, I complied, "Your majesty, Richard V Aqua, I request your daughter's hand in marriage."

For a brief moment, I saw something unusual in his majesty's expression—a faint smile that quickly disappeared. He then turned back to his throne and, with a commanding shout, dismissed the court.

"The court is dismissed," Richard declared.

I scanned the faces in the court, and everyone, including the queen, appeared shocked. I, too, couldn't fathom how I had ended up in this situation. I had no prior knowledge of any of this, and now, I was betrothed to the princess I had saved.

With a bewildered mind, I stood up and made my way to the exit, still unable to process what had just happened.

After walking through the streets, I finally reached the inn where I was staying for the night. As soon as I entered the room, my dragon launched itself into my chest, pushing me against the wall. I rubbed its soft skin, noting how quickly it had grown. Despite its small size, it possessed enough power to repel most people. I picked it up and laid it on the bed, deep in thought.

"Now, I'm going to be married to Princess Alice. While being married to a princess could be seen as a good thing, can I truly make her happy? And what if the Duke seeks revenge against me?" Numerous thoughts clouded my judgment, but one thing was certain: my future was going to be turbulent.

0