Chapter 12: Interlude – A Dream or a Nightmare?
204 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Warm – was what the young girl thought as she awoke. Opening her eyes, she blinked. Surrounding her were the ruins of a religious building, a church. The roof was missing, walls were riddled with cracks and holes, debris was scattered around, and five strangers were seated on benches. Finding herself in an unknown place with unfamiliar people, she immediately panicked.

‘Wh-Where am I? I don’t understand, wasn’t I just eating breakfast with my friends? I don’t get it – how? H-how did I get here? Drugged? Was I drugged and kidnapped!? What am I supposed to do? Why me? I don’t understand – scared, I’m scared. This is a dream – it’s gotta be a dream – a really, really bad dream. End… please… please end…’

As her hands began to tremble, a gentle, soothing voice whispered in her ear.

“Erika, are you okay?”

Hearing the familiar voice, Erika turned to see Alexandra. Quickly, she looked to her other side and saw Claire as well. Immediately, the intense anxiety that was consuming her vanished. She felt safe knowing that her two best friends were by her side. All three of them had been together since elementary school; they were inseparable, even going as far as attending the same college. Having gone through so much together, both good and bad, Erika knew that if she were with them, then everything would be fine.

“Hey, Erika, are you okay? Are you cold?”

She heard Alexandra’s concerned voice again, and this time gave a meek nod.

Erika was a timid girl; as a child, she was always called a cry baby, and even as she grew older that hadn’t changed. After befriending Claire and Alexandra, her over-reliance on them and their overprotectiveness had only served to intensify this. Alexandra had always been kind and caring, almost like a mother to her. Claire, on the other hand, was strong-willed and stubborn. Erika was envious of that, she wished could have a bit of Claire’s overflowing confidence.

Still, the question remained – where were they? Waking up in an unknown place was far from ordinary. And that’s without factoring in the strange ruins around them and frigid temperature.

‘Why would someone bring us here? Why is it so cold? What is this screen?’

Erika looked at the digital screen that was stuck in the corner of her vision. It reminded her of screens in the video games her younger brother always played.


[Status Window]

[General]

Name: Erika Lawrence

Age: 19

Class: Unassigned

Sub-Class: None

[Skills]

None

[Stats]

Strength: E

Stamina: E

Agility: C+

Endurance: C+

Magic Power: B

[Personal Traits]

Timid – Shy, has difficulty interacting with strangers. 

Reliant – Over reliant on friends and colleagues.

Anxiety – Panic’s easily. Unable to maintain calm in stressful situations.

Average – Average at everything.


‘Is this real? I-It can’t be, right?’

Erika didn’t know what to make of it, any of it. Everything felt so surreal to her, almost as if she was in a dream. The thought that this was all real - terrified her. If this was a nightmare, she hoped it would end quickly.

Suddenly, a man brushed past them and headed straight for the door, capturing the attention of everyone in the room. Immediately, Claire’s head snapped towards him like a hunting dog that had caught the scent of a wild animal. She jumped up from her seat.

‘Ah, she’s gonna do it again.’

This wasn’t the first time Erika had seen this scenario unfold; actually, it was quite common in her day-to-day life. Claire’s fiery personality tended to cause a lot of problems. Alexandra and Erika were usually left to deal with the aftermath of the volcanic eruption from Mt. Claire.

Alexandra tapped Erika on the shoulder. Erika nodded, and they both stood up, preparing themselves for action. This was step one in their unofficial Claire Anger Prevention Handbook, C.A.P.H. for short. As if on cue, Claire yelled at the man.

“Hey, you! Stop!”

The man stopped and turned to see Claire standing with her arms crossed. Claire glared at him and spoke with a tone as if she was interrogating a criminal.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

‘Oh, no... Mister, please don’t test Claire. It won’t be good for any of us.’

“Hello? Did you hear me?”

Claire impatiently tapped her foot on the floor. Finally, the man spoke.

“Uh, I was going outside to look around. Is that a problem or something?”

At the man’s response, Erika’s expression brightened; it didn’t appear he wanted to fight, given the lack of aggression in his voice. Erika became hopeful that this would end peacefully, even a hothead like Claire cooled down when the other party was calm and level-headed.  

“Tsk.”

As fast as her hope ignited, it was snuffed out when Claire clicked her tongue. Perhaps it was fueled by the stress of the situation, but Claire’s already short temper appeared to be even shorter. As Erika and Alexandra exchanged glances and began to move, Claire shouted at the man.

“Listen here, dumbass. In case you didn’t realize it, this isn’t a situation where you can be acting all carefree. I don’t care what happens to you, but your little exploration might start shit that gets us in trouble… I bet a stupid bastard like you didn’t think of that, huh?”

“Hey, hey. Let’s all calm down. There’s no need to fight…”

Before Alexandra and Erika had a chance to intervene, a second man in a football jersey stepped in. He turned to the man at the door and began talking.

Alexandra wasn’t going to let this chance slip by and quickly began talking with Claire. This was step two in the C.A.P.H. – attempting to quell Claire’s anger with words. Watching as Alexandra calmed Claire down, Erika breathed a sigh of relief. They were lucky this time. If the second man hadn’t stepped in, the situation would’ve escalated to a code red and require the use of step three. 

While Erika was thinking, the conversation between the two men ended. The first man thanked the second and turned back to the door. At that moment, Claire escaped Alexandra’s lecture and rushed forward.

‘Failure.’

Erika could tell that step two had failed once again; it seldom worked. It was stupid to try and use rationality to deal with irrationality. It was time for the third and final step of their handbook – forceful intervention.

“Hey, asshole! Don’t just-mmmphh!”

Before Claire could finish her sentence, Alexandra and Erika leaped at her, subduing her. Alexandra forcefully covered her mouth while Erika grabbed her body, preventing any escape. Claire’s eyes bulged as she wildly twisted her body, trying to get free. 

Alexandra lowered her head to the man, once again forced to clean up Claire’s mess.

“Sorry about Claire…”


Erika ran behind Claire and Alexandra. She didn’t know where they were going – something about helping Aaron, who rushed off after hearing a scream – regardless, she was scared. The entire day had been one terrifying event after another. She had been kidnapped and left in a foreign place, Claire had almost died being attacked by a two-headed mutant dog, they narrowly escaped an alien creature trying to murder them, and now they were running towards yet another unknown danger. It was like she was trapped in a never-ending nightmare. When would it end?

Rounding a corner, the three girls came to a stop. At the end of the alleyway was a building. On the other side was the origin of the scream, where Aaron was. Alexandra spoke in a hushed voice.

“Okay... From here on out, we have to be really quiet, got it?”

Claire and Erika nodded, and they slowly snuck towards the building. Reaching the door, Alexandra looked back at the two girls, confirming that they were ready, she entered. It was dark inside, so their pace slowed as they carefully passed through the room. When they found the opposite door, Alexandra cautiously opened it and peered outside. Her eyes widened as the scene came into view.

Three strangers and Aaron were desperately fighting the five two-headed dogs attacking them. There was a young woman cowering atop a lopsided carriage. As two dogs tried to climb up, she frantically swung a broom, keeping them back. Aaron was on the ground, wrestling with a dog. Next to him was a man who lay on his back, gasping for air. A few minutes before the girls arrived, Aaron had tackled the dog off the man, saving him from having his neck bitten. Finally, the last man swung a wooden board at the two dogs attacking him. He shouted at the man on the ground, asking if he was okay and went wildly on the offensive, trying to finish off the beasts.

Alexandra froze, silently staring at the battle outside. Compared to the brutal battle they had against only three dogs, fighting five seemed impossible. She didn’t know what to do – what could they do? Would three girls be of any help in this situation? She wanted to run away, but before she could, Claire pushed her out of the way.

“Hey, what is it? Let me see!”

Claire stuck her head outside and saw the ensuing battle. Immediately, she turned around and shouted passionately at Alexandra.

“Alex, we need to help them! Aaron’s already out there fighting; we can’t let him do it alone!”

“I know, but what can we do? Don’t you remember how hard it was to fight three dogs? How can we fight five? I’m sorry, but I don’t think it’s safe. We should just-”

Claire interrupted Alexandra.

“What are you saying!? If we join the fight, we’ll outnumber them! Come on! We have to go!”

“Outnumber them? So what? That doesn’t matter… It won’t make a difference.”

Claire threw her arms up in frustration.

“Alex, drop the bullshit, and tell me what the problem is! Hurry up – spit it out! We’re wasting time!”

Alexandra snapped, yelling at Claire.

“None of us can fight! You know that as well as I do! If we run out there, we’ll just get in the way!”

Claire curtly turned her head to the side, dismissing Alexandra’s words.

“I can fight just fine!”

“Don’t lie, Claire!”

“I’m not!”

Claire’s face grew redder as her blood boiled; her temper was approaching its limits.

Alexandra shouted the truth that she had been keeping in, and one of the primary factors influencing her refusal.

“Yes, you are! You did the same thing last time! At first, you acted all confident, but then, when the fighting started, you got scared and started crying! Don’t act like you didn’t!”

Claire’s mouth was left agape; she was shocked that her best friend would stoop so low. She stuttered, trying to find an excuse.

“I-I was…!”

“Stop, I don’t want to hear your stupid excuse, Claire! So, just shut up!”

Hearing no response from Claire, Alexandra figured the argument was over; even Claire should recognize the danger. She was confident that deep down, Claire was also scared, but…

“You know what! Fuck you, Alex!!”

In a rage, Claire threw the door open and stormed outside. Alexandra frantically called after her.

“W-Wait!! Claire…!”

Alexandra stopped. It was too late; Claire had already grabbed a scrap of wood and was sprinting into battle. Her head dropped. As she silently stared at the ground, a torrent of emotions began swarming within her, an indescribable mixture of fear, anxiety, regret, and hopelessness. However, before they consumed her, a shaky voice pulled her back to reality.

"A-Alex..."

Alexandra lifted her head and looked at Erika, whose eyes were rapidly shifting between her and the battle.

"Wh-What should we do?"

For a moment, Alexandra thought and then...

Slap!

Alexandra smacked her own cheeks hard, leaving behind two red marks. This wasn't the time to dwell on what she should have done differently or how hopeless the situation seemed. Right now, she needed to focus on what she could do. She looked at Claire, who was already fighting tooth and nail with the beasts, and immediately came to a decision. 

"Erika – let's go."

After grabbing a weapon, Alexandra stepped outside into the battle. She surveyed the area, trying to figure out where she and Erika should go, but surprisingly everything appeared to be under control. Aaron had killed the dog that he was fighting and was now helping the girl on the carriage. The man on the ground was safe, and Claire was assisting the other man. There wasn’t anywhere for her and Erika to go.

“Alex, look out!!”

Hearing Erika’s panicked shout, Alexandra turned and saw two new dogs sprinting towards them. From the blood dripping from their mouths, they had been feasting on something recently. Having already whet their appetites, they had come looking for another meal to fill their bottomless stomachs.

“Erika, get ready!”

Alexandra took a defensive stance with her weapon out in front of her. Erika nervously mimicked Alexandra’s movement. As soon as the dogs leaped at them, they both stepped to the side, easily evading them. Alexandra dashed forward and landed a hit on one dog.

‘Scary. It’s too scary.’

Erika stepped back, retreating away from the growling dog. It was impossible. She couldn’t fight the dog; all she wanted to do was run away. Alexandra noticed that Erika wasn't attacking and became concerned.

“Erika, what’s wrong!?”

“I can’t do it, Alex! It’s too scary! This is a dream! All a dream! It’s all a dream, but... but... why!? Why is it so realistic, Alex? Why? I don’t like it! Please, I just want it to end... please…!”

Erika broke down in a panic and began speaking nonsense, confusing Alexandra. She was painfully aware this wasn’t a dream; she couldn’t imagine how anyone could think that at this point, so she wasn’t able to comprehend what Erika was saying.

“Calm down, Erika!? Are you hurt or something!?”

“I don’t want to fight! I just want to wake up!”

The beast didn’t sit back and wait for Erika to calm down. It took the opportunity to prepare for an aggressive attack, stepping back and getting ready to lunge. At the same time, Alexandra shouted with a sense of urgency.

“Erika, watch out!”

Erika closed her eyes tightly, weakly holding her weapon out like a shield, she shrieked.

“NOOOOO!!!!”

Forgetting about her own battle, Alexandra jumped towards Erika. As soon as she took her eyes off it, the dog she was fighting attacked.

– Aaaaaaaahkk!!

The painful scream caught everyone’s attention.

Claire whipped around; her face paled. She failed to comprehend what she was seeing, rather she didn’t want to see it. Suddenly, the dog she was fighting leapt at her…

“!!!”

Claire jumped to the side, avoiding it and then, bolted towards her friends.

At the same time, Erika slowly opened her eyes.

‘I’m okay?’

She was sure the beast was about to attack her, but for some reason, she was still unharmed.

‘What happened?’

‘Huh, blood!? Am-am I…”

She froze in shock, unable to finish her thought, her pupils trembled at the horrifying scene in front of her; it was the nightmare she feared most.

“Aaaaahh – Uuaaggh…!”

A sound that was in between a scream and a moan came out of Alexandra’s mouth. Two dogs were digging their jaws into her, ripping flesh from her bones.

“Uuuuuuck-!”

Alexandra let a horrific scream as one dog ripped a chunk from her back. It chewed the meat, once, then twice before swallowing it whole and going for another bite.

Erika didn’t move. She sat, lifelessly staring at Alexandra. No thoughts ran through her mind, she was nothing more than a broken doll, an empty shell.

“SHIT!!”

Aaron arrived and yanked the dogs, who were eating like crazed beasts on the brink of starvation, off Alexandra, throwing them to the side. He began fighting them, keeping them away from Alexandra. Regretfully, it was all he could manage.

“Uuaah… cough…”

Alexandra coughed up blood. Her entire body was mauled, her flesh mangled. Blood poured out of the numerous puncture wounds and gaping holes from missing flesh. Her skin had already become pale, almost paperwhite.

“Alex! Alex!”

Claire nearly dove onto Alexandra. She slid across the ground, rocks and gravel, tearing up her knees.

“Uahhhh…”

Alexandra moaned as she tried to turn her head towards Claire.

“Alex, stay still! Just wait, I’ll… I’ll…”

Claire’s hands frantically moved as she tried to think of what to do, but she couldn’t. All forms of rational thought had left her. At this point, she couldn’t even understand what was happening to Alexandra.

“Right, right. If I just stop the bleeding, then everything will be fine.”

Claire pressed her hands onto wounds on Alexandra’s shoulders. There were too many, and she couldn’t block them all. She needed help.

“Erika, get some cloths! Hey, Erika!”

There was no response.

“Erika, listen! This isn’t the time-!”

Claire turned her head, and saw Erika, collapsed to her knees, staring at Alexandra with hollow eyes. No hope. She looked over at Aaron who was still fighting.

“Aaron, help me!”

Without shifting his attention away from the battle, Aaron spoke in a hushed voice under his breath. It was painful to see Claire desperately trying to save save Alexandra.

“Claire… I think…”

“No! Hurry up and help!”

Claire was in denial. This wasn’t – no, not possible. These kinds of things happen to soldiers, not college students… Accepting meant that Alexandra… accepting meant… this wasn’t a nightmare, it was a living hell.

“Don’t worry, Alex. You’ll be fine. I’ll just use my clothes and wrap the wound. That should stop the bleeding, so-”

Alexandra weakly raised her hand and tried to grab Claire’s arm. She attempted to speak but only managed to cough up the blood that was slowly filling her lungs.

“Sto-coughuagh…”

Claire paused. Had Alexandra just tried to stop her?

“Wh-What? Just hang on, Alex.”

Claire was about to resume her futile efforts, but Alexandra tightened her grip. 

“Alex, let go. I need to stop the bleeding so… so…”

Drip…drip…drip…

Claire’s tears slowly fell onto Alexandra’s face as the pitch of her voice waned.

“W-Why? Why Alex? I don’t… I don’t…!”

As Alexandra’s eyes closed, she forced herself to give a weak smile as if to reassure Claire that everything would be fine.

“Alex, I… Alex…!"

Claire buried her head into Alexandra’s chest and wept, sorrowfully calling her name.

The battle was over, but at what cost? One life was lost, three saved. A net gain rather than a net loss. However, no one felt victorious.

Aaron bit his lower lip. It was painful watching as the two girls mourned the loss of their best friend. He couldn’t help but feel that, again, he had failed. 

While they waited for Claire’s crying to stop, the others gathered and quietly thanked Aaron for saving them. Both men were conscious, but the girl had passed out from fear and shock. Befitting of the battle they had endured, all three men had wounds covering their bodies.

As her tears dried up, Claire slowly raised her head. Wiping her runny nose, Claire turned to Erika, who still hadn’t moved.

“Erika…”

“Erika, hey!”

No response. Claire took in Erika’s helpless state and felt a renewed sense of responsibility. Now that Alexandra wasn’t here, Erika was all she had. She had to protect her at all costs. Claire pushed her sorrow down deep within her, burying it.

Standing up, she walked over to Erika and pulled her up.

“Erika, let’s go.”

As Erika was being dragged off, a single thought kept repeating.

‘C-Can I wake up now?’

8