Chapter 10
48 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ethan's eyes scanned the row of buildings as they crossed the desolate street, landing on an old Victorian house that stood apart from its more modern neighbors. Something about its darkened windows and sagging front porch made him uneasy, but time was not on their side.

"Over there," he pointed, his voice tinged with urgency.

The woman nodded, tightening her grip on Lily's hand as they made a beeline for the house. As they approached, Ethan noticed how the paint was peeling, and a disquieting creak greeted them as they stepped onto the porch. Despite its derelict appearance, the front door was sturdy, its lock seemingly intact. He took a deep breath, sensing the smell of old wood and dampness seep into his nostrils.

Using the screwdriver he had found earlier, he jimmied the lock and pushed the door open. It protested with a loud creak that made him wince. He paused, listening for any signs of movement within the house, but heard only the distant howls and growls of their pursuers.

They entered cautiously, Ethan leading the way. His eyes took a moment to adjust to the dark interior, the scant light from the streetlamps outside filtering through the heavy curtains. The air was stale, filled with the musty scent of disuse. Dust particles floated in the beams of light, settling on worn furniture and faded photographs that adorned the walls.

"Lily, stay close," the woman whispered, her voice shaky. Her hand found Ethan's arm, gripping it tightly.

Ethan nodded, moving further into the house, his ears straining for any sound. They checked the downstairs rooms first — living room, dining room, kitchen — each empty and forlorn, as if abandoned in a hurry. A layer of dust covered the countertops, and unopened mail had piled up on a small table near the front door.

"Let's head upstairs," Ethan said, his voice low but resolute. "We need to find a room with a lock."

They ascended the creaking staircase, each step feeling like an echo in Ethan's pounding heart. At the top, a narrow hallway stretched out before them, doors closed on either side.

Ethan chose the closest one, his hands gripping the doorknob firmly as he pushed it open. It was a bedroom, sparsely furnished but intact. The air was denser here, and a moth-eaten rug lay at the center of creaky wooden floorboards. He stepped inside, scanning the room, his fingers lightly grazing the edge of an old wooden dresser.

"Lock the door behind you," he instructed the woman as she entered the room with Lily.

Ethan took a moment to look around, his eyes sweeping the room's sparse furnishings. The room was dark except for a streak of moonlight that filtered through a gap in the heavy curtains, casting long shadows on the worn wallpaper. The room felt oppressive like the walls were closing in on them, but it was better than being out there with those things.

"I just realized I don't even know your name," Ethan said, turning his gaze back to the woman, who was comforting Lily on the bed. The little girl was clinging to her like a lifeline, her eyes red from crying.

"It's Milana," she answered softly, looking up. Her eyes met Ethan's, and for a fleeting moment, their shared vulnerability broke through the walls that fear and circumstance had built.

"Well, like I said earlier, I'm Ethan," he replied, his lips forming a weary smile. "And this young lady is Lily, in case you forgot."

Milana nodded, her eyes moistening as she held Lily closer. "She's been so strong through all of this."

The air in the room felt heavy, filled with the weight of unspoken words and uncertainties. Ethan's ears perked up, catching the distant howls that had haunted them. He went to the window and cautiously pulled back the curtain, peering out. The street appeared empty, but the sense of dread was palpable, hanging over them like an invisible cloud. The muffled sound of their pursuers' growls seemed to reverberate through the glass pane, and he felt the hairs on the back of his neck rise.

"We should get some rest," Ethan finally said, breaking the silence, "We can't stay here for long, but for now, this is our best option."

Milana looked up from where she was sitting, her eyes weary but filled with a resolve that Ethan found both heartbreaking and inspiring. "How can you even think of sleeping at a time like this?"

Ethan sighed, his hand rubbing the back of his neck, the skin there feeling strangely cold. "I don't think any of us can. But we need to be prepared for what comes next. Our best chance is to regain some strength."

She nodded, her grip tightening around Lily as if she could shield her from the world's horrors through sheer will. "You're right, of course."

Ethan found an old chair and propped it under the doorknob, reinforcing their makeshift sanctuary. He then sat on the edge of the bed, his posture rigid, as if trying to hold himself together through sheer physical tension. His eyes met Milana's once more, sensing that she too was teetering on the edge of something he couldn't quite define.

"Lily, why don't you try to get some sleep?" Milana suggested, her voice quivering slightly. "I'll stay awake and keep watch with Ethan."

Ethan looked at Milana, then back at Lily, who had reluctantly laid down on the bed. He could feel the weight of her gaze, filled with that troubling blend of fear and faith.

"Hey Lily," Ethan said softly, walking over to the side of the bed where she lay. His hand reached down to gently pat her on the head, his fingers brushing against the soft strands of her hair. "You need to get some sleep. We're going to make sure that you stay safe, alright?"

The girl nodded, her eyes shimmering with unshed tears. "Promise?"

"Promise," Ethan affirmed, his voice carrying more conviction than he actually felt.

***

Author's Note:

Hi, there, my reader! While you're waiting for the next chapter, if you're interested in checking out another one of the stories I've written titled “LitRPG: Returning to the Beginning of the Apocalypse”, feel free to take a look here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CL2SGKSD

Here’s a synopsis: When the mysterious System took over Earth, it presented a deadly challenge: complete 100 lethal scenarios while getting points. The prize? A singular wish for the highest scorer at the end. But there was a grim catch — if humanity were annihilated before reaching the end, they would be erased from existence. Forever. Luke, an exceptionally skilled human who was on the edge of completing the final scenario, found himself betrayed in the final moments by his own guild and his leader, Richard. As he drew near death's door, a fervent wish formed in Luke's mind: a plea to return to the first day of this merciless game. In an unexpected twist, he suddenly found himself transported back to the beginning, equipped with all of the knowledge of the future and fueled by his thirst for vengeance. But will he be able to rewrite his fate and change the destiny of humanity?

0