Chapter 13
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ethan approached the gas station with caution, his eyes darting around for any signs of danger. The place looked abandoned, its windows grimy and its once-bright signage faded. He pushed the door open, the bell above giving a half-hearted ding, a sound that seemed loud in the eerie silence.

The interior of the gas station was a mess. Shelves were toppled over, their contents strewn across the floor. The air was thick with the scent of old coffee and motor oil, a combination that Ethan found oddly comforting in its normalcy. He stepped over a fallen rack of snacks, his gaze fixed on the back where he hoped to find a storage room.

As he made his way through the debris, Ethan kept one hand on the screwdriver in his pocket, ready to defend himself if needed. His ears strained for any sound, but all he could hear was his own breathing and the soft crunch of debris under his feet.

Reaching the back, Ethan found the door to the storage room ajar. He pushed it open and peered inside. The room was dark, the only light coming from a small, dirty window. His eyes adjusted to the dimness, and he began his search.

There, in the corner, were several gas cans. Ethan's heart leaped with hope. He hurried over, but his excitement turned to frustration when he lifted the first can. It was empty. He tried another, and then another, each one as hollow as the last. His shoulders slumped in defeat.

He was about to leave when something caught his eye — a glint of metal under a workbench. Ethan crouched down and reached for it. It was another gas can, this one heavier. He shook it, hearing the slosh of liquid inside. A grin spread across his face. "Bingo," he whispered.

Ethan grabbed the can and stood up, ready to head back. But as he turned towards the door, a noise stopped him in his tracks. It was a low, guttural growl, coming from just outside the storage room. His heart raced. Zombies.

He peered through the crack of the door, seeing the distorted silhouette of one of the undead in the main area of the gas station. It was moving slowly, aimlessly, but it was between him and the exit.

Ethan's mind raced. He couldn't risk making noise, not with a zombie so close. He needed another way out. He scanned the room, his eyes landing on a small window high up on the wall. It was a tight fit, but it was his only option.

Carefully placing the gas can down, Ethan stacked a couple of crates to reach the window. He pushed it open, the hinges creaking slightly. Holding his breath, he listened for any reaction from the zombie. Nothing. It seemed still unaware of his presence.

Ethan hoisted himself up, squeezing through the small opening. He emerged outside, the cool air a sharp contrast to the stuffy atmosphere of the gas station. He dropped to the ground, quickly picking up the gas can.

Now, he had to get back to the car, back to Milana and Lily. He glanced around, ensuring the coast was clear, and then set off at a brisk pace, the weight of the gas can in his hand a reassuring presence.

Ethan's thoughts were on the task ahead, on the hope that they could finally leave this place behind. But as he hurried back to the car, the reality of their situation weighed heavily on him. They were alive for now, but for how long? And at what cost?

He rounded the corner, the car coming into view. Ethan quickened his steps, eager to get back to his companions, to share the good news. But as he approached the vehicle, his heart sank. A group of zombies had gathered around it, their moans a chilling chorus in the quiet morning air. Ethan crouched behind a nearby car, his mind racing.

He needed to get to the car, to get them out of here. But how? The zombies were blocking his path, their numbers more than he could handle alone. Ethan clenched his fist around the handle of the gas can, his resolve hardening.

Ethan watched the zombies surrounding the car, his mind working furiously to devise a plan. They ambled aimlessly, their groans echoing in the stillness of the morning. He knew he had to act quickly and smartly; any reckless move could be fatal.

He looked around for anything that might help him. His eyes fell on a nearby dumpster, an idea forming in his mind. If he could create a distraction, and lead the zombies away from the car, he might have a chance to fuel it up and get back to Milana and Lily.

Moving as silently as he could, Ethan crept toward the dumpster. He opened the lid and rummaged inside, looking for something to use. His hand brushed against a glass bottle. Perfect. He picked up a few more, filling his arms with them.

Ethan positioned himself as far away from the car as possible while still being able to see the zombies. He took a deep breath and then threw the first bottle, aiming it to smash far down the street. The sound of breaking glass shattered the silence, drawing the attention of the undead.

As they turned their heads towards the noise, Ethan threw another bottle, further away. The zombies began to shuffle in that direction, lured by the promise of sound. Ethan kept throwing the bottles, creating a path away from the car.

With each throw, the group of zombies thinned, as more of them followed the noise. Ethan’s heart pounded in his chest, adrenaline fueling his actions. He had to time this perfectly.

Finally, when he felt enough zombies had been drawn away, he sprinted towards the car. His movements were quick and quiet, a stark contrast to the clumsy shuffling of the zombies. As he reached the car, he glanced back to make sure none of the undead were following him.

Ethan quickly opened the fuel cap and started pouring the gas into the tank. His hands were steady, despite the fear that coursed through him. He kept an eye on the street, watching for any signs of the zombies returning.

The gas can emptied, and he replaced the cap, tossing the empty container aside. He slid into the driver's seat, his heart racing. He inserted the keys into the ignition, his fingers crossed.

The car roared to life, the sound loud in the quiet morning. Ethan didn’t wait to see if the noise attracted the zombies back. He slammed the car into gear and drove off, leaving the ravenous horde behind.

1