Chapter 21
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jane's eyes softened as she listened to Ethan's words, a mix of sadness and understanding crossing her features. "Ethan," she said gently, reaching out to touch his arm, "you don't need to apologize for the past. We've all made choices we regret, and I should've been more understanding of yours. What matters is that you're here now, when it counts the most."

Her gaze then shifted to Lily, who was quietly observing the exchange with wide, curious eyes. "And who is this?" Jane asked, her tone lightening as she smiled at Lily.

Ethan, his expression easing, knelt beside Lily and introduced her. "This is Lily. I found her in an abandoned office building. She was all alone, hiding from those... things." His voice was tinged with a mix of pride and sadness, proud of having saved Lily but saddened by the circumstances that brought them together.

Lily, feeling the attention shift to her, suddenly became shy. She clung a little closer to Milana, peering out at Jane with a mix of curiosity and uncertainty. Ethan gently encouraged her, "Lily, this is my sister, Jane. She's very kind, you don't need to be afraid."

Jane crouched down to Lily's level, offering a warm, reassuring smile. "Hi, Lily. It's so nice to meet you. You're very brave to have come all this way with Ethan and Milana," she said softly, trying to make Lily feel comfortable.

Lily looked up at Ethan, seeking reassurance. Ethan nodded encouragingly, his eyes conveying a message of safety and trust. Lily then turned back to Jane and, after a moment's hesitation, offered a small, tentative smile.

As Lily's small smile faded back into a look of contemplation, the group quietly gathered in the center of the room, as the afternoon sun cast long shadows through the windows of Jane's house. 

Ethan, with a concerned look, broke the silence. "We can't stay here," he asserted, glancing around the bare room. "With the house picked clean, we're sitting ducks without supplies."

Jane nodded, her eyes scanning the remnants of her once comfortable home. "He's right. As much as I hate to leave, this place isn't safe anymore. We need somewhere more secure."

Milana, her arms crossed, chimed in thoughtfully. "We should also think about finding a place with better access to food and water. We don't know how long we'll be on our own."

The conversation was weighed down by the grimness of their situation. It was Lily who lightened the mood, if only momentarily, with her innocent suggestion. "What if we find a big tree and build a treehouse?" she piped up, her eyes bright with the idea.

Her innocence brought a brief, much-needed smile to the adults' faces. Ethan knelt beside her, replying with a gentle tone, "That's a fun idea, Lily. We'll keep our eyes open for the perfect tree." He then stood up, turning to the others with a more serious demeanor. "But for now, we need a solid plan."

Jane thought for a moment before speaking up. "There's an old farm outside of town. It's remote, might still have some supplies, and it's defensible."

Ethan and Milana exchanged a look of cautious consideration after Jane's suggestion about the farm. Ethan then voiced his concern, "Jane, how can we be sure the farm isn't already occupied? It's a big risk if there are people there who aren't welcoming to strangers."

Milana nodded in agreement, her eyes reflecting the seriousness of the situation. "Exactly. In times like these, people can be territorial, especially if they have resources."

Jane sighed, acknowledging the validity of their concerns. "I don't know for sure if it's unoccupied," she admitted, her gaze falling to the floor for a moment. "But it's a risk we might have to take. If we find people there, we can explain our situation. We have Lily,  a child, and that might make them let us stay there."

The idea of relying on the potential goodwill of strangers was a gamble, but the alternatives were limited. Milana spoke up again, her tone pragmatic. "If we do encounter people, we'll need to be cautious but also diplomatic. We can offer to help with chores or share any supplies we find along the way as a gesture of goodwill."

The group nodded in agreement. Despite the uncertainties and potential dangers, the farm seemed like their best option for now. Ethan and Milana would go ahead to scout the farm, ensuring it was safe and assessing the situation before bringing Jane and Lily along.

As the group continued their discussion, the fading light outside caught their attention. The sun had sunk lower in the sky, casting the room in a dim, amber glow.

Ethan glanced out the window, noting the changing light. "It's getting darker," he said, his voice tinged with urgency. "We need to make this place as secure as possible for the night."

Jane stood up, her eyes surveying the room with a sense of determination. "Let's fortify the house as best we can. We'll need to block the windows and reinforce the doors."

Milana joined in, pulling a few pieces of broken furniture toward the windows. "We can use these to barricade the entry points. It won't hold forever, but it should keep anything unwanted out for the night."

Ethan and Jane began moving furniture, strategically placing heavy items against doors and windows. The sound of their efforts filled the room, a rhythmic thudding and scraping that echoed in the small area.

Lily, sensing the change in activity, asked, "What can I do to help?" Her voice was small but filled with a desire to contribute.

Jane turned to Lily, her expression softening as she saw the young girl's eagerness to help. "Lily, you can be our lookout," Jane suggested kindly. "You can watch from the window and let us know if you see anything unusual outside. But remember, stay away from the window and keep the curtains closed so that you can stay safe."

Lily's face lit up with a sense of responsibility. She nodded vigorously and took her position by the window, peeking out carefully between the curtains. Her small hands gripped the fabric, and she stood on her tiptoes to get a better view.

Meanwhile, Ethan and Milana continued to reinforce the house. As they worked, the sound of their movements was punctuated by the occasional update from Lily. "It's all clear," she would report periodically, her voice a mix of seriousness and pride.

With the windows barricaded and the doors reinforced, the house felt a little more secure, against the uncertainties of the night.

0